Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Neverwinter: Foundry Focus: Andy Stops by for a Chat

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week's Neverwinter Foundry Focus is a very special one which features Cryptic Studios' Andy Velasquez. Andy spends time discussing Neverwinter in general and a tiny bit about August's first module release, Fury of the Feywild. Check it out and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

I was able to ask Andy a number of questions that members of the community have been seeking answers for. One of the first things we talked about was how is the game treated differently now that it is live as opposed to when it was still considered in Beta.  You can jump to 3:20 in the video to hear all what Andy had to say about it but the answer might surprise you. A lot of it has to do with the support structure around the game. While Andy pointed out that they always had GMs, Customer support, and the Community Team (Sominator!) they now have a more structured way they approach pain points for the players and how they process player feedback in addition to working on Module 1.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Neverwinter Foundry Focus: Andy Stops By.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I would be happy to pay for a new class or other things, but a glowy dog, pixie and slightly different looking elf doesn't do anything for me.

Give me a bugbear race, Warlock, Ranger, Slayer, Barbarian classes or Owlbear companion.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    So basically just gonna ignore the major player dissatisfaction when it comes to Cryptic adding payed races, huh? Really kind of a shame that MMORPG.com hasn't had the guts to address the actual problems players are having with Neverwinter in their interviews, but instead promote the game.

Smile

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    We didn't know it was paid when we did the interview. Did you listen to it? Every other question got asked that was on last week's thread but paragon paths. We ran out of time.

I did reach out yesterday about the new race. It will become available but it is being treated like the Drow/Menzo Rogue. I don't agree with it. I think it runs contrary to everythine being free.

If I were you I'd be more upset by the fact you aren't getting another character class for 3 to 4 months.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    DOA
  • gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

pre-release - feature "coming soon"

post-release - feature "coming soon"

see the difference there?

an extra letter

• healboothealboot Member UncommonPosts: 103
    People still care about this Title?
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Not sure why neverwinter needs another clasa even
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Yeah I tried really hard to enjoy this game but was completely bored to tears by level 11 or something around there. I just couldnt get into it at all as everything just felt completely gimmicky and screamed free to play title. I guess Im just used to the polish of the Triple A freemium games. Plus the cash shop in this game is ridiculous, everything is way to expensive for a mediocre game. My guess though is , its perfect world pulling the strings on Cryptic because even Champions had tons more polish and fun.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    We didn't know it was paid when we did the interview. Did you listen to it? Every other question got asked that was on last week's thread but paragon paths. We ran out of time. I did reach out yesterday about the new race. It will become available but it is being treated like the Drow/Menzo Rogue. I don't agree with it. I think it runs contrary to everythine being free. If I were you I'd be more upset by the fact you aren't getting another character class for 3 to 4 months.

I disagree personally. They are releasing two new races, one free, one temporarily not free. What is the problem? If they start charging for access to classes, I will agree with you there.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Good one. I still don't think there are any more Foundry reward needed, but I'm clearly the minority - I mean when even Andy says shorter missions would be better for his dailies... :) c'mon, dailies are for farming, Foundry should be about the fun. Imo.

Currencies, maybe there's no widespread agreement on them as he heard, but Cryptic really should remove at least the insignias, in the current form those are totally worthless and only clogging up the bags. Maybe remove seals too, the low level ones are outleveled quickly anyways (and dungeons are dropping better ones from the same gear).

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Good news they're thinking about promoting build experimentation; bad news they want to do it on the test servers.  After playing with flexible character systems in Rift, Tera, GW2, TSW, and Dragon's Prophet, confining systems are a real put off.

+1, I too think it's a good start, for measuring the demand. ('cos I'm still not convinced that big masses will jump onto the option, sadly). But at least I can goofing around on Preview :)

No new class in the near future... I'm in the middle ground with this. (hold your stones please :) ). It is bad news for the heavy players, I admit. But for me (with limited gametime, 3-4 other games, etc.) it's not a big letdown, especially if I could experiment the heck out of the existing classes on Preview. I guess then I'm ok with new classes arriving only with the next Module.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    We didn't know it was paid when we did the interview. Did you listen to it? Every other question got asked that was on last week's thread but paragon paths. We ran out of time. I did reach out yesterday about the new race. It will become available but it is being treated like the Drow/Menzo Rogue. I don't agree with it. I think it runs contrary to everythine being free. If I were you I'd be more upset by the fact you aren't getting another character class for 3 to 4 months.

I disagree personally. They are releasing two new races, one free, one temporarily not free. What is the problem? If they start charging for access to classes, I will agree with you there.

Because it's never alright to charge for races in a free-to-play game. They have a cash shop for a reason. That's there to pay the bills. Keep races out of it.

Smile

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Using the preview server to test builds for live is bad to me for a couple reasons.  For one, the environment on test rarely, or at least unreliably, mirrors live.  So what you build on test may not be the same experience as live.  Another thing, is that it requires a completely separate install (which is no surprise as it works this way on most every game) and that is really inconvenient just to try builds out, especially when the test server may or may not be up when you want it.  Finally, test should be for testing new game features, finding bugs, and submitting feedback, not figuring out better strats and builds for live.  Just my opinion, of course.

I agree, that's why I wrote it's a good start. It's better than nothing, and if they see there are constant build testing maybe they insert some solution on live as well.

And while it's not an optimal route to test builds on a test server, there are still bugs which are somewhat "justify" the use of a test environment - for example I'd rather not paying $3 just to check whether CW's Tempest magic and the Tiefling racial is still not working together or it's fixed yet :) or GF's AC increasing feat is still bugged or not (I'm not sure with this, lately I haven't play with him)