Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think the pricing model will cause this game to fail. If F2P, it would do well.

gxgunnygxgunny Member Posts: 64
I have played the beta and they really did a wonderful job with this game, it has really good graphics, almost no lag, great class / job system and has everything final fantasy player would want including the long lost fanfare when you gain levels,etc.  However, the play mechanics of the game are very similar to any other mmo, kill 10 rats,etc.   I think this game would be dead after 2 months or so if it does not adapt the F2P model.   Why not create a F2P model with the sub option?   I just think the huge amount of players you get by making mmos F2P keeps the game healthy.    There are other F2P titles like this game like Rift so why would I want to spend money on a sub if the games are similar?  Yes and I am aware that there are successful sub games like WoW and Eve so no need to bring that up.

Comments

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

actully if it goes ftp it will lose most of its current players so shrugs it only needs like 500k subs to be making money on it ( ive heard they would be happy with at least this)

hell ffxi is sitll making profit at like 350k subs

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I will not be playing this game when it re-releases, but more games need to realize they are niche and go back to the sub model. F2P is the death knell of this genre. Subs keep the community the way the players like it...where the people in game love it enough to pay monthly for it. F2P opens the flood gates and lets all the riff raff in.

Joined - July 2004

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I know this sounds crazy, but not all mmo developers need 10 million people playing. FFXI never went f2p, has been going for 11+ years now, and has a small but loyal playerbase that keeps the game running.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Personally I would rather play a Subscription-based game because it helps keep out the "vagrants". Sure, a few still get it, but it's far fewer when you have to get in with a stolen credit card number rather than just having to create a new fake email address to get a new account.

People who are paying a subscription tend to stick around longer, be more invested in the game and community, and developers tend to be a bit more sensitive to their needs.

Plus, not having a cash shop eliminates the Pay To Win scenario from even coming into the picture. Everyone has access to everything - the only distinction is your personal level of dedication and skill, not your pocketbook "accelerating" any process.

• gxgunnygxgunny Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by Raxeon

actully if it goes ftp it will lose most of its current players so shrugs it only needs like 500k subs to be making money on it ( ive heard they would be happy with at least this)

They could keep the sub model if players want it, but add F2P for players that don't.  Options are good.  They just need to have a great cash shop with fair prices.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    /threadfail
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I know where you're coming from OP, I'm not so enthralled with FFARR that I'll pay a sub for it, but these other folks are right. It's better for the community if it stays sub-based; and if I'm honest, the only reason I would want it F2P is so I could play it a little with no additional money sink so I can leave as soon as something I want to play comes out.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

One of the biggest reason players begin to disappear after a month or two in P2P MMOS like these is because of minimal (or lack of engaging) end game content. 

Whether FFXIV will succeed in keeping its playerbase engaged once they hit level cap for months till new content releases (and how fast they release new content) is something to be seen. So i wouldn't be so sure about '500K subs'. Nothing is sure in todays market. players consume content too fast these days and no company can keep it up with the demands and that is one of the main failings of P2P MMOS and drop in sub numbers.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by gxgunny
    I have played the beta and they really did a wonderful job with this game, it has really good graphics, almost no lag, great class / job system and has everything final fantasy player would want including the long lost fanfare when you gain levels,etc.  However, the play mechanics of the game are very similar to any other mmo, kill 10 rats,etc.   I think this game would be dead after 2 months or so if it does not adapt the F2P model.   Why not create a F2P model with the sub option?   I just think the huge amount of players you get by making mmos F2P keeps the game healthy.    There are other F2P titles like this game like Rift so why would I want to spend money on a sub if the games are similar?  Yes and I am aware that there are successful sub games like WoW and Eve so no need to bring that up.

Because you enjoy the game, want it to maintain it's level of quality, and would like them to continue to produce quality content?

There's already a huge interview where Y-P outlines exactly why the game is sub based, and at this point you either need to accept his reasoning and support the game, or decide it's not for you and move on.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    /threadfail

more like /gamefail after two months and going F2P anyway.   

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by remyburke
    I will not be playing this game when it re-releases, but more games need to realize they are niche and go back to the sub model. F2P is the death knell of this genre. Subs keep the community the way the players like it...where the people in game love it enough to pay monthly for it. F2P opens the flood gates and lets all the riff raff in.

Then lets hope the flood gates open and we can drown out obnoxious people like yourself in a deluge of riff raff.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

If you feel that Rift will give you as much enjoyment as FFXIV will, then play Rift. It will be no loss to you.

I know Rift will never give me as much pleasure as FFXIV, so I'm happy to sub to play the game I truly enjoy.

It seems that SE believe they have a big (and loyal) enough fanbase to justify a subscription. And it also seems that they are not trying to attract masses of new players. Time will tell if they've read their fans correctly.

I'll support the game as long as I enjoy playing it, regardless of the payment model.

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
  • ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267

They could keep the sub model if players want it, but add F2P for players that don't.  Options are good.  They just need to have a great cash shop with fair prices.

Or they could keep it P2P and just keep making money and being successful.

F2P only benefits the freeloaders and those that don't really help the community/game at all.  The ones that are proponents of this so much generally aren't those that are investing into the game.  There is little to no reason for ANY game that isn't built around this model to adopt it.  It degrades the community, waters down the economy, and will only lead to the end of the genre we all (should) love.

The only way a game should allow "free" players is up to a small level or for a specific amount of time, just to let you try it out.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

Simple.  They do not care to have 1 single F2P player in the game.  So Either you pay to play or you go away.  They dont care about you.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I'm looking forward to the day when people stop expecting to get everything in the world for free.

Want something? Then pay for it.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    /threadfail

No more like you fail hard.  Yoshi and SE already said there is no plan to go F2P period if they cannot support the game it will be turned OFF.  Not F2P.  Nice try 

Originally posted by danwest58
    /threadfail

No more like you fail hard.  Yoshi and SE already said there is no plan to go F2P period if they cannot support the game it will be turned OFF.  Not F2P.  Nice try 

Wow..lol. talk about being stubborn. He would rather shut the game down instead of making adjustments so that playerbase has a FFXIV game to enjoy? i have no words.

Could you show me this interview where he said that?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• dalewjdalewj Member UncommonPosts: 94

actually if it goes ftp it will lose most of its current players so shrugs it only needs like 500k subs to be making money on it ( ive heard they would be happy with at least this)

I agree both ftp and f2p create a negative for long term life of most MMOs.  What they need to do is learn to adapt with whatever happens in their first 3 months and create a good profitable long term game.

ITs games that go for the fast money or change mid-stream that seem to do the worst.  Long term vision always wins... well usually does.....

HomePage/Gaming Blog - http://dalewj.com . MMORPGer - Current game: http://AfterWorld.ru .
    Author of Diaries of Afterworld- http://www.jconsult.com/afterworld and the Outside Sci-Fi series- http://www.jconsult.com/outside

[mod edit]

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

I'm looking forward to the day when people stop expecting to get everything in the world for free.

Want something? Then pay for it.

Really?  So paying for items in the cash shop to unlock quest areas, new mounts is not spending money?   Also, there a lot of players that end up starting the game F2P, but end up getting a sub because they like it o much?   

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

No.

To make a "good F2P model", you need to attract as many players as possible, because only a very small % of those free players spend money.

To make the game as attractive as possible to a huge cross-section of players, you have to design it accordingly. Very easy gameplay, fast leveling and very low complexity. That's not what SE want for their franchise.

• MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    /threadfail

Wow..lol. talk about being stubborn. He would rather shut the game down instead of making adjustments so that playerbase has a FFXIV game to enjoy? i have no words.

Could you show me this interview where he said that?

More like I am tired of Welfare babies wanting everything for free.  Yea this game will shut down if it fails again.  Guess what they shut the game down 1 time already to complete REBUILD it so it can be a sub game.  They will not do that a second time.  There is the door use it -------------------->

You still didn't give me the link? care to show me where he said that? people try to pass a lot of bull s*** around here as facts. if not i think you should take that door.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/17/final-fantasy-online-director-defends-monthly-subscriptions-in-the-golden-age-of-free-to-play-exclusive/

Two seconds in Google.

/threadfail

Yoshi will be the first person they can in two months after launch.  

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    I'd rather pay monthly for a game than have a user buy items to provide them better access to certain features of the game/leveling faster. At-least when it's a monthly sub everyone is on equal ground.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

This discussion has been closed.