Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Subs expectations

tuppe99tuppe99 Dublin, INPosts: 276Member Uncommon

I wonder what SOE's expectation is regarding number of subs. I hope it is not in the millions and that they design the game in such a way that it can be profitable with 200k+.

And I think they can do it if they scale down on the fluff. I for one, want a minimalistic, customisable UI with a minimap with very few points of interest showing me the way to go. I want to explore to find quests and not be pointed in the right direction. If there have to be quests then make camping/grinding just as profitable.

Cut the cut-scenes.

Also, I hope they make the content difficult enough that you cannot reach max level in a week. I am sure I am in the vast minority here, but I want to play for 2-3 months at least before being able to reach max level.

If they have proper tools to create new content, then that should allow them enough time to bring out the first content patch.

I would like it if rewards are not that easy to come by. If there are mounts in the game, I hope I have to put some time and effort in before I can get one. 

Mounts for me is one of the coolest rewards in a MMO and it makes me sad that in some games players now possess at least 50 of them. 

So,  I personally hope that they had made the decision to not to try and cater for every single playstyle out there in an attempt to attract millions of players, but that they realise that MMOs need to return to the niche market they had pre 2004 and design accordingly.

This is all IMHO, of course. I am sure a lot of players will disagree ;)

Comments

• stayBlindstayBlind Suwannee, GAPosts: 527Member
    As long as it appeases the masses they will implement it.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• jdnycjdnyc Long Island City, NYPosts: 1,696Member

No sub.  F2P Game.

• VoqarVoqar Phoenix, AZPosts: 498Member

I don't think they need to design for niche, but I do think that they need to buck the trend of trying to be everything for everyone.  To me, this means ditch PvP (which is done better in just about any other genre, and is done to death crapily in plenty of MMOs already) and focus heavily on group-based PvE (solo has also been done to death and MMORPGs to me are not about soloing).  Doubt they ditch PvP though, as useless as I think it is in general (grief based e-bullying with no point or instanced and unrelated minigames).

I'm glad they're going P2P as it'll cut out some of the scrubs that think the world owes them everything including free multi-million dollar games to play.  MMO players often have maturity and intellectual issues even when paying but it's SO much worse in F2P and heavily solo pseudo-MMOs where players have no financial investment, don't have any reason to care what anyone thinks, and it turns them into internet turds.

SOE has a lot of experience and hopefully they can make a very high quality game that as you say, doesn't require millions of subs to break even, because that's a recipe for fail and/or an early departure in F2P.

Lastly, I think a lot of people, including possibly myself, will be in for some disappointment.  As the OP says, he doesn't want to see EQN try to be everything for everyone and that means it won't match the expectation of everybody who thinks they're hardcore or old school in some way.  All of us have some thing we want to be in the game or some way we want things done in the game and obviously, we can't all get it our way.

When they say they want to return to old school MMORPGing it doesn't necessarily mean they want to return to kick you in the balls style punishing gameplay or extreme tedium.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz United States, NCPosts: 169Member
    Originally posted by Voqar

I don't think they need to design for niche, but I do think that they need to buck the trend of trying to be everything for everyone.  To me, this means ditch PvP (which is done better in just about any other genre, and is done to death crapily in plenty of MMOs already) and focus heavily on group-based PvE (solo has also been done to death and MMORPGs to me are not about soloing).  Doubt they ditch PvP though, as useless as I think it is in general (grief based e-bullying with no point or instanced and unrelated minigames).

I'm glad they're going P2P as it'll cut out some of the scrubs that think the world owes them everything including free multi-million dollar games to play.  MMO players often have maturity and intellectual issues even when paying but it's SO much worse in F2P and heavily solo pseudo-MMOs where players have no financial investment, don't have any reason to care what anyone thinks, and it turns them into internet turds.

SOE has a lot of experience and hopefully they can make a very high quality game that as you say, doesn't require millions of subs to break even, because that's a recipe for fail and/or an early departure in F2P.

Lastly, I think a lot of people, including possibly myself, will be in for some disappointment.  As the OP says, he doesn't want to see EQN try to be everything for everyone and that means it won't match the expectation of everybody who thinks they're hardcore or old school in some way.  All of us have some thing we want to be in the game or some way we want things done in the game and obviously, we can't all get it our way.

When they say they want to return to old school MMORPGing it doesn't necessarily mean they want to return to kick you in the balls style punishing gameplay or extreme tedium.

They are 100% not going P2P. It's been comfirmed F2P. So get ready for those scrubs and internet turds! (I hate them too)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jdnyc

No sub.  F2P Game.

Really no subs?  Then why donall so called f2p games from SOE still have an option to sub? 

F2P has been confirmed, this however does not mean that you dont need to sub to get the most out of your game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz United States, NCPosts: 169Member
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by jdnyc

No sub.  F2P Game.

Really no subs?  Then why donall so called f2p games from SOE still have an option to sub? 

F2P has been confirmed, this however does not mean that you dont need to sub to get the most out of your game.

Probably optional sub system like EQ1 is now. You can sub to get all the p2p stuff for much cheaper overall.

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon

we know EQN supports ftp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVIIIZ6ETtY

we dont know - what other payment models EQN may have

• jdnycjdnyc Long Island City, NYPosts: 1,696Member
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

you're funny because you know what I meant, but pretend you didn't. ;)

sure maybe there's a station pass option.  probably there will be, but in the context of this thread - and specifically my reply, the subject is about subscription to play.  not subscription for additional perks.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Elmira, ONPosts: 2,499Member Uncommon

What SOE really needs to do is use EQN's popularity to push people towards All Access passes. I think that games like TSW, AOC, Rift, SWTOR, etc. all give you compelling reasons to subscribe. You don't HAVE to, but things are just smoother when you do. 

If they are able to get that same balance of value and fairness as some of these other games, then I think they'll do well on subs. If they give some additional perks to All Access passes, even better. For them, it's actually like an extra $5 because you can't play multiple games at the same time anyway. That's the main reason that I take my $15 and move it around. I'll play one game compulsively for months, then move over to something else, then maybe move back, etc., etc. However, at $20 a month the all access is ALMOST justifiable, even with that fact that you can only play a game at a time. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SabasSabas herzelePosts: 197Member
    Baseless prediction: pay a sub to own a plot of land.
  • Gallus85Gallus85 Winter Park, FLPosts: 1,092Member

A revolutionary, AAA F2P game....

SWTOR earned like 2-3 million players when it went F2P.

I suspect 1 million and higher for EQN.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• arctarusarctarus nilPosts: 2,570Member Uncommon

RIP Orc Choppa

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Elmira, ONPosts: 2,499Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Pandamin
    Baseless prediction: pay a sub to own a plot of land.

SOLD!!!!!! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• wizardanimwizardanim Apple Valley, CAPosts: 278Member

Originally posted by tuppe99
    I wonder what SOE's expectation is regarding number of subs. I hope it is not in the millions and that they design the game in such a way that it can be profitable with 200k+.

Well, if EQN does have a subscription model (I am currently assuming it will ... until I hear otherwise) - 200k+ is a minimum of $3,000,000 a month (@$15 each) -> $36 million a year.  And, that is without fan fairs, merchandise, in-game store, player services (transfer, name changes, etc).  On that budget, i'm sure even after taxes the employees working on the game would be paid for the entire year for a month or two, and then some. 

Originally posted by tuppe99
    Also, I hope they make the content difficult enough that you cannot reach max level in a week. I am sure I am in the vast minority here, but I want to play for 2-3 months at least before being able to reach max level.

Completely agree with you here. Though, I think that the common idea of 'end game' will be changed. So, if that is true, maybe we can re-define what max level is.

• furbansfurbans Tinbucktwo, IAPosts: 965Member
    Originally posted by Voqar

Anyone who thinks that EQN will be built for a niche crowd is a retard.  SOE is in for the money and that means EQN will be built as a mainstream MMO for a large target audience. 

I wager Pathfinder will have more to offer as they are no targeting for a large crown but a small, decent size crowd and expand over time.  SOE wants their money back that they put into it as quickly as possible with the greatest return.

I have a gut feeling that EQN will be all talk but when it finally is delivered it will be much like Neverwinter or SWTOR where there was all this talk where the product doesn't back the talk.