Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Above all else, Keep this in mind!

tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

In all my years of gaming...

Only one company has ever delivered a total sandbox that i was completely lost, immersed, engrossed and in love with....

The type of game where the players you met you still think about years and years later wondering how they are doing and hoping they are out there somewhere, okay and well. For many of you this is a foreign concept. Mind=blown. I dont even have to mention the name of this game, if you were there, you already know exactly what game we had, and what game we unfortunately lost.

They did it once, they damn sure can do it again...

Disclaimer; that same company also ran that game into the ground with pre-cu/NGE but we have all made mistakes at some point or another.

Comments

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

ASHERON'S CALL!

wait, no?

• dyermaker714dyermaker714 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    This resonated with me, and I found this post to be somewhat moving. I know they will do it again
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

Spot on m8, spot on.

The everquest series are the only mmo's wich made me feel i was in that world tottally immersed. and indeed i stil remember character names of people ive talked to. 

• DruzellaDruzella Member Posts: 15

Sorry for my English.

you can not enter twice in the same river

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Trionicus

ASHERON'S CALL!

wait, no?

I'd guess the OP is talking about SWG, a game I never bothered to play since it looked to be not my cup of tea.  I don't think ONLY ONE MMO ever has left people feeling this way.  I think it's a genre thing.  The MMORPG genre has the potential to form strong bonds between people in any decent game, maybe even in games that aren't decent, if they happen to hit it off and "live" the game together for a spell.

For me, I could say that about several MMORPGs.

I still think about some of my AC friends because we played together every day for weeks/months on end.

I miss some of my old DAoC friends.  We were like a family and I kept in touch and eventually lost touch with some of them over many years.

I played WoW for 6.5 years and several of those years with the same crew, many of whom I've played other MMOs and even other genres with since, and many of whom I either still keep in contact with (they hop into my vent to say hi) or yeah, wonder how they're doing and hope they're well.  Some of us are in constant contact and play whatever game together, or even if we're all playing single player games we're in my vent talking - just about every day.  A lot of people bash WoW and I think that's ignorant and petty.  It's clearly one of the best MMORPGs of all time and not all people that play it are bratty twerps (bratty twerps are common in ALL modern MMORPGs these days, sadly - it's not bliz' fault the genre has shifted to appeal to brain dead and immature garbage).

I'm to the point now where I only really play MMORPGs with long-time friends (and my brother) and in some ways it's bad because I'm not forging new friendships as much.  It's also to the point where we don't have enough regulars to do anything serious.  So for EQN I'll likely join a guild with potential rather than start a tiny friend guild, in an attempt to expand my circle.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• ZanagiZanagi Member Posts: 30
    SWG!!!
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Well Smedley did say in may 'if you liked SWG, you will like EQN x10000000000'
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    We will see, i am hoping that the game is different enough to feel fresh and hopefully lean more towards a virtuall world instead of a game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SperowsSperows Member Posts: 11

I have played many many  MMORPG (even too many MMORPG tbh)  but I still return to one game that is just perfectly balanced for me - World Of Warcraft, the only downside is that there are not enough players on my server, but this will change in the future (cross-realms, etc).

I'm not a fanboy or anything, everyone is open to love the game what they like. But what I want to say is - everyone has it's own expectations of the games they want to play and what they want the game to be. A lot of people remember that the best time was when they were playing with friends, having fun and of course - spent hours of playing the game to get the satisfaction they need (for someone it was housing, for someone it was raiding, for some it was guild housing, to meet friends, etc)... :)

Personally I think this game will bring back a lot of players because of their fond memories of previous game.. :) I wish all those people all the best and that this game will deliver their expectations, memories and a lot of friends!  This game will be amazing! and I also hope it will fill the void we are having in the industry right now.

P.S. Sorry for the bad English.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Voqar
    Originally posted by Trionicus

ASHERON'S CALL!

wait, no?

I'd guess the OP is talking about SWG, a game I never bothered to play since it looked to be not my cup of tea.  I don't think ONLY ONE MMO ever has left people feeling this way.  I think it's a genre thing.  The MMORPG genre has the potential to form strong bonds between people in any decent game, maybe even in games that aren't decent, if they happen to hit it off and "live" the game together for a spell.

For me, I could say that about several MMORPGs.

I still think about some of my AC friends because we played together every day for weeks/months on end.

I miss some of my old DAoC friends.  We were like a family and I kept in touch and eventually lost touch with some of them over many years.

I played WoW for 6.5 years and several of those years with the same crew, many of whom I've played other MMOs and even other genres with since, and many of whom I either still keep in contact with (they hop into my vent to say hi) or yeah, wonder how they're doing and hope they're well.  Some of us are in constant contact and play whatever game together, or even if we're all playing single player games we're in my vent talking - just about every day.  A lot of people bash WoW and I think that's ignorant and petty.  It's clearly one of the best MMORPGs of all time and not all people that play it are bratty twerps (bratty twerps are common in ALL modern MMORPGs these days, sadly - it's not bliz' fault the genre has shifted to appeal to brain dead and immature garbage).

I'm to the point now where I only really play MMORPGs with long-time friends (and my brother) and in some ways it's bad because I'm not forging new friendships as much.  It's also to the point where we don't have enough regulars to do anything serious.  So for EQN I'll likely join a guild with potential rather than start a tiny friend guild, in an attempt to expand my circle.

You've pretty much summed up my experiences with MMO's as well.

I did play SWG and I have to say that it was by far the most interesting experience I've had with any game, mostly because of the sheer number of friends I'd met through playing.

That said, I dont want to end up logging in just for the sake of it, which was common in my time with SWG. The casual insta-gaming style that's been popularized by WOW holds some significance (not looking for WOW though).

They've had plenty of time to imbue EQN with the best elements from all of my fav games and I hope they do, still though, I wonder if it's even possible to bring back that feeling we're all looking for, even if the game turns out to be super awesome.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Sorry but the OP needs to try some EVE-Online before talking sandbox and getting sucked in :P (it's about as user friendly in terms of controls as SWG too).

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Druzella

Sorry for my English.

Druzella i have pondered on your words for several minutes. I even checked your posting history and i see you are from Russia. After much deliberation i think i understand what you mean... i think.

If i understand you are correct, you cannot enter the same river twice. The water you entered has now long passed and is somewhere in the ocean, far away probably never to be touched again by the same skin. Now i could trollishly go into a thesis about evaporation and rain, but im just not going to. I do have a reply for you though!

The foundation, the bedrock is still there. The rocks may have moved slightly. The sand may have eroded them. The leaves on the trees may have faded, withered and fell, but the tree still stands.

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Sorry but the OP needs to try some EVE-Online before talking sandbox and getting sucked in :P (it's about as user friendly in terms of controls as SWG too).

I've played EVE extensively. It doesn't compare. My game even had better flight mechanics. :P

• LorskaLorska Member UncommonPosts: 74

Sorry for my English.

I like this saying.  We say something similar in the US that is something like, "Never as good as the first time" but that is referring mostly to sex, haha.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by tristanryan
    Originally posted by Dihoru

I've played EVE extensively. It doesn't compare. My game even had better flight mechanics. :P

Sounds like "extensively for 2-3 months... in high sec". SWG never got the chance to be as good as EVE-Online in terms of mechanics and as far as flight control ;) shows you've never pvped.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    SWG has a special place in my heart. By far the best crafting, pvp (I loved hunting Jedi as bounty hunter), and a enormous open world.

That said even though I sing the praises of SWG on these forums it had some problems like lack of content. There were not many quests pre-nge. It may have been one of the best sandboxers ever created but that's all it had.

Thankfully I think SOE realized the shortcomings of SWG and are going to give us the tools to create content for ourselves with Story Bricks and dungeon builders.

Imagine going into a player city and picking up a player made quest which ends with doing a player made dungeon. It would make sense to game the system by giving incentives to quest makers such as some sort of reward based on the popularity of the quest.

This would create an explosion of user created content of high quality because competition would be fierce to get people to play their quests. It would truly be Everquest!
  • TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

Never really played SWG (Gasp), my heart still holds EQ1 dear.  

As for sandbox/pvp done right.... maybe some Shadowbane players can attest to that "feeling." 

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Only one company has ever delivered a total sandbox that i was completely lost, immersed, engrossed and in love with....

The type of game where the players you met you still think about years and years later wondering how they are doing and hoping they are out there somewhere, okay and well. For many of you this is a foreign concept. Mind=blown. I dont even have to mention the name of this game, if you were there, you already know exactly what game we had, and what game we unfortunately lost.

Disclaimer; that same company also ran that game into the ground with pre-cu/NGE but we have all made mistakes at some point or another.

The ball is in players court now really. If enough players support the game and make it a profitable venture they won't have any need to go the route of another NGE.

Moreover i really doubt that EQNEXT is going to be a pure sandbox title but more of a hybrid.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

I honestly think that MMO's like EQ1, SWG, and DAoC were special not because the games were that great but because they were providing a unique online experience that most of us hadn't experienced until then.

As I stated in another post, in SWG my friends and I would set up camps and just sit around and chat / emote for hours.   You'd be hard pressed to find any fun in chatting / emoting in a game these days because the novelty of being online with other people wore off years ago. 

Just like many of you, I'm still chasing that magic feeling that I got in SWG back in 2003, but unfortunately I don't think that any developers will be able to recapture it because it wasn't so much the game or the developer but more about the newness of being online with thousands of people in a virtual world. 

• Rippley05Rippley05 Member Posts: 13

Sorry for my English.

I know what you're saying, but I have entered the same river many times before =p

I guess the OP is talking about SWG ( a game I was never interested in) but I feel that way about eq1. I talk with a couple of my friends, one of which still tries to play eq1 all the time sadly...talk about this all the time.  We talk about people we've met through the years playing. That was before facebook so we've lost all contact with them all. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I like what you said OP in your opening statement, but Isn't EQ still up and running? Why not just play it now? Or are you talking the original EQ.

I ask this because I wasn't part of the EQ movement. At the time I was stuck deep in UO and moved right to WoW from there. I have heard you were all a tigh group, but what led you away?

edit: after reading more posts, I may have been wrong and the OP was speaking of SWG. What the heck!? If that is the case, the discussion should have started in that forum imho.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I agree with you, OP. I am still in contact with some of the SWG friends that I made.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Only one company has ever delivered a game that i was completely lost, immersed, engrossed and in love with....

I edited your post as I read it (spot the difference!), but what is amazing about how I read this post is removing reference to any particular game (as many people speculated you were talking about other games). For me this perfectly describes Everquest and I think for many others this describes lots of different games. 

To really think about that though, makes me remember that while it's only slightly about the game itself, the game is merely the stage on which your experience resides, the backdrop if you will. And it's the players and their interactions which make it memorable. So whether that message reaches those who played SWG, EQ, AC, DAoC, WoW or whatever else I have missed I think its an excellent point that what we often remember most is the people and the players and no as much the loot or the bosses but how they interacted with the players and the dynamic unscripted stories that were created from that interaction.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by Anthur
    [mod edit]

Well yes, they are among the more passionate of MMO players.

Though SWG (pre-cu) is to this day an experience that has never been duplicated.

Neither have been many of the features that made that game unique.

Personally I feel quite a bit of its features deserve being revisited.

So I say let them be fanatic about it, at least they still care enough about the genre to feel passion.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Hi there! Let me make this simple for you:

_______ _________                           
    | /|| /|( ___ )__ __/
    | ) ( || ) ( || ( ) | ) (
    | | _ | || (___) || (___) | | |
    | |( )| || ___ || ___ | | |
    | || || || ( ) || ( ) | | |
    | () () || ) ( || ) ( | | |
    (_______)|/ ||/ | )_(

_______ _______ _______ _______
    ( ____ ( ___ )( )( ____
    | ( /| ( ) || () () || ( /
    | | | (___) || || || || (__
    | | ____ | ___ || |(_)| || __)
    | | _ )| ( ) || | | || (
    | (___) || ) ( || ) ( || (____/
    (_______)|/ ||/ |(_______/

_______ _______ _______
    ( ___ )( ____ )( ____
    | ( ) || ( )|| ( /
    | (___) || (____)|| (__
    | ___ || __)| __)
    | ( ) || ( ( | (
    | ) ( || ) __| (____/
    |/ ||/ __/(_______/

_______
    | /|( ___ )| /|
    ( / )| ( ) || ) ( |
    (_) / | | | || | | |
    / | | | || | | |
    ) ( | | | || | | |
    | | | (___) || (___) |
    _/ (_______)(_______)

_________ _______ _ _ _________ _ _______
    __ __/( ___ )( | /\__ __/( ( /|( ____
    ) ( | ( ) || ( | / / ) ( | ( || ( /
    | | | (___) || | | (_/ / | | | | || |
    | | | ___ || | | _ ( | | | ( ) || | ____
    | | | ( ) || | | ( | | | | || | _ )
    | | | ) ( || (____/| / ___) (___| ) || (___) |
    )_( |/ |(_______/|_/ /_______/|/ )_)(_______)

_______ ______ _______ _________ _____ _____
    ( ___ )( ___ ( ___ )| /|__ __// ___ / ___
    | ( ) || ( ) )| ( ) || ) ( | ) ( ( ( ) )( ( ) )
    | (___) || (__/ / | | | || | | | | | / / / / / /
    | ___ || __ ( | | | || | | | | | ( ( ( (
    | ( ) || ( | | | || | | | | | | | | |
    | ) ( || )___) )| (___) || (___) | | | (_) (_)
    |/ ||/ ___/ (_______)(_______) )_( _ _
    (_) (_)