Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please close or delete. (Trion resolved issue)

tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

Edit; 8/8/13

Please close and/or delete the thread (if possible) This issue has recently been fixed by Trion, and although im no longer playing the game, i wouldnt consider it fair for this thread to exist for potentially hurting future customers and/or new players getting the wrong impression of the game.

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I've done a few instant adventures over this past week and there were multiple times that a group of toons that all had similar names and were all following one toon would be a part of it, like 4-6 characters at times.  Are people multiboxing that many toons?
  • tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Margulis
    I've done a few instant adventures over this past week and there were multiple times that a group of toons that all had similar names and were all following one toon would be a part of it, like 4-6 characters at times.  Are people multiboxing that many toons?

Oh yes, and it doesnt stop at 6.

As lame as this appears in PvE (which it very well is) you just wait till you cross a few in PvP.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    You realize games like WoW have allowed this for years and years now right? Its not remotely prohibited by any real games that I know. There is a difference between exploiting and multi-boxing.
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    You realize games like WoW have allowed this for years and years now right? Its not remotely prohibited by any real games that I know. There is a difference between exploiting and multi-boxing.

Watch the video.

It requires 3rd party software, which is against the TOS. (3rd party software is also against the TOS in World of Warcraft). The difference here.. Blizzard doesnt ban multiboxers because WoW is a subscription based game on its last leg. Rift is F2P and there is absolutely zero reason to allow this filth.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

I could care less what games have allowed it in the past or that currently do - clearly this is a problem that needs to be taken care of.  I'm sure the multiboxers will be happy to defend it though.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by tristanryan

Multiboxing is where one player controls several characters at the same time. Normally, this isnt a problem in most games, because normally, its absolutely prohibited in PvP. Trion, however, has stated quite a few times there is no issue with this type of play, and it is perfectly within the game rules. 

Multiboxing single-handedly killed Everquest and it's a PVE game. It's not just a PVP problem. It complety killed the community and groups, 80%+ of Everquest players now multibox.

I could care less what games have allowed it in the past or that currently do - clearly this is a problem that needs to be taken care of.  I'm sure the multiboxers will be happy to defend it though.

Margulis, clearly you seen the video, and i thank you for taking the time.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah, a buddy used to box 4 chars in EQ2. He just had 2 computers running 2 instances of the game each, there are vids about this Wow guy who run 25 man raids himself...

It is really no problem in PvE but in PvP it surely could be discussed. Particularly games that award points for killing other players in duels, you could milk them fast that way (remember rumors about people doing it in AoC way back).

I frankly can't see the point of playing with myself... Then I could as well play one of the singleplayer games that lets you run a party better and more fun. MMOs are games I play with or against other players.

Watch the video.

Um... yes, that is multi-boxing, I seen that in WoW a lot when I use to play that game and many other games have had that long before. Or is there some specific part in the video where suddenly its exploiting and doing something out of the ordinary of what multi-boxers do in other games?  

Don't get mad at me, I'm just stating the fact that considering it an exploit is wrong, and its not uncommon to see. Rift is no where remotely near the only game that has multi-boxing. You could go through the entire MMO list and I'm sure a vast majority allow it or do nothing against it.

Edit: As for wow not doing it since its on its 'last leg' they have allowed it since TBC I recall seeing them and it was GROWING. Don't throw excuses in about it.

Its not remotely prohibited by any real games that I know. There is a difference between exploiting and multi-boxing.

It is prohibited by many games. Almost all the games using GameGuard and Hackshield have turned the option to block multiboxing on.

You can not launch more than one account, and if you bypass GameGuard or Hackshield you're breaking the rules.

Originally posted by Waterlily
     Its not remotely prohibited by any real games that I know. There is a difference between exploiting and multi-boxing.

It is prohibited by many games. Almost all the games using GameGuard have turned the option to block multiboxing on.

You can not launch more than one account, and if you bypass GameGuard you're breaking the rules.

Only so many games use that, and typically speaking the only way it can be 'banned' is if its using third party software, which can be a very gray area as to what that might entail, as well as very difficult. I'll be so bold as to gamble a good majority of those games don't bother with them either unless they do something wrong, particularly if they are paying on each account. Besides that, if someone has funding they could easily just use VMs or seperate computers to handle the task and 'bypass' that barrier, the only difference is its likely to be more taxing so a more wealthy individual will have more of an advantage there.

Only so many games use that, and typically speaking the only way it can be 'banned' is if its using third party software, which can be a very gray area as to what that might entail, as well as very difficult. I'll be so bold as to gamble a good majority of those games don't bother with them either unless they do something wrong, particularly if they are paying on each account. Besides that, if someone has funding they could easily just use VMs or seperate computers to handle the task and 'bypass' that barrier, the only difference is its likely to be more taxing so a more wealthy individual will have more of an advantage there.

For the record, you believe this type of play in a PvP environment is "fair play"?

Negative.

Many MMO use Gameguard and hackshield.

Circumventing the anti-hack software by using a VM is illegal. Can't believe I am explaining this.

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Anyone that multibox are a disgrace to the human race. It's pitiful that companies support it.

For the record, you believe this type of play in a PvP environment is "fair play"?

I never said I really consider it fair play, I just said its not exploiting. Just because I dislike something and feel its bad doesn't mean I'm going to just bad mouth it and call it something that it is not.

Negative.

Circumventing the anti-hack software by using a VM is illegal. Can't believe I am explaining this.

... Pull up the terms of service of a game in which it explicitly says that. I'll be here waiting to see proof from a game.

According to your logic, if you are logged on a game on two computers, that would be bypassing anti-hack software. A VM (or a different computer as it acts) is NOT bypassing the anti-hack software, its using it on another system thus not disrupting it. 

Try not and have a course tone with someone as if they are stupid, its quite rude. Just since I make a point you are not fond of doesn't mean you need to act hostile towards me.

Originally posted by bestever

Of course not. He needs five clerics to win because he sucks ass at pvp and wants to be a dick.

Yes because that is what I do, trying to not be bias in a thread despite the fact I DISLIKE multi-boxers. When your done being rude and can talk like a civilized adult and not make such presumptions, feel free to talk. Flaming someone for trying to make a point less one sided is just silly.

I never said I really consider it fair play, I just said its not exploiting. Just because I dislike something and feel its bad doesn't mean I'm going to just bad mouth it and call it something that it is not.

Negative.

... Pull up the terms of service of a game in which it explicitly says that. I'll be here waiting to see proof from a game.

According to your logic, if you are logged on a game on two computers, that would be bypassing anti-hack software. A VM (or a different computer as it acts) is NOT bypassing the anti-hack software, its using it on another system thus not disrupting it. 

Try not and have a course tone with someone as if they are stupid, its quite rude. Just since I make a point you are not fond of doesn't mean you need to act hostile towards me.

With all due respect, this person isnt using multiple computers. This person, is violating the TOS with 3rd party software which is against the Terms of Service agreement. Pressing 1 button, causes 10+ characters to act in unison, be it movement, or using predetermined skill sets.

Exploit.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

$220 in barely a month since they added the cash shop for a game you have played since launch?

Ouch, maybe it isn't such a bad thing you got banned who knows where this addiction to virtual pixels could have taken you.  I'd be careful who you tell that to or you might be getting an intervention thrown your way by concerned people who simply care for you and who don't understand such behavior over a video game.

• DawnDarkDawnDark Member Posts: 21

He is not doing anything better than an organised group of normal players can do. In fact he is doing worse.

Play EVE to see how multiboxers are actually at a disadvantage, but that is because PvP there actually uses group tactics. Instead of the free for all egocentric PvP in RIFT.

• AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85

I'm ambivalent about multiboxing.....but, the person your refering to in the forums has a horrible attitude, and many dislike her.

She needs to be reprimanded 

Originally posted by Murugan

$220 in barely a month since they added the cash shop for a game you have played since launch?

Ouch, maybe it isn't such a bad thing you got banned who knows where this addiction to virtual pixels could have taken you.  I'd be careful who you tell that to or you might be getting an intervention thrown your way by concerned people who simply care for you and who don't understand such behavior over a video game.

I wasnt banned from the game, only the forums.

Where i choose to spend spare cash isn't the point of the conversation either. This doesn't even compare to what i spend on other hobbies.

edit;

I also haven't played rift since launch. I played a few months at launch, a few times since, and the last 2 months if it matters.

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    Lol i've seen this guy. Honestly, it's absolutely hilarious. I aint even mad

Almost all multiboxers use INNERSPACE and ISBOXER, which allows them to send commands from one instance to the next without swtiching.

Innerspace and ISBoxer is made by Lavish software. Lavish software are hackers, they created macroquest which allowed people to hack in Everquest for over a decade. 

They try to hide this fact now, but MQ, or Macroquest was made by them.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Seems like a serious problem to me..

However in general people do not get banned because of what they say, but how they say it...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

However in general people do not get banned because of what they say, but how they say it...

And this is particularly why it pissed me off. I log on to find my post deleted with a warning on my account. I then simply stated i think the community can agree we need a new ambassador that is for the community and not for personal gain. 27 minutes later i was banned from the forums.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

And this is particularly why it pissed me off. I log on to find my post deleted with a warning on my account. I then simply stated i think the community can agree we need a new ambassador that is for the community and not for personal gain. 27 minutes later i was banned from the forums.

Well to outsiders it might look like you turned your anger in a personal attack against that ambassador.  Not saying you meant to, but just saying how other people might have felt about it.

Anyway, wether your banned or not, does not solve the problem in the video as that clearly excists and should not be possible in any game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)