Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics !

page975page975 Member Posts: 312

Graphics

Before playing, like most of us I watched many Youtubes of DFUW.  Several were even 1080p. I'll admit the game looked ugly but I'm in it for gameplay so I purchased it anyway.

What I got to my surprise is the best looking mmo I had ever played !

Years ago, Vanguard was known for its amazing graphics ( for it's time ). It had Shinny sparkling leafs on its trees and a far long draw distance.  That was it, nothing else.  Characters were plastic, shore lines looked like they were made with a straight edge ruler, Rocks that seemed to float above the ground and buildings that were not even square.  Just a 3D mess like EQ2.

Since then every mmo that preceded looked better but something was wrong anyway.  Now, like most of us this is where personal preference comes in. You know, you just can't put your finger on the problem but something irritates us in some way.

In my personal opinion, LOTRO for it's day and now GuildWars 2 are some of the better ones.  However their is something about GuildWars 2 that still pisses me off.  Not sure what, maybe a glow around my screen that's hard to explain.  I'm just not sure.

Now about Darkfall UW :

It's better than I expected, I normally done even care. BUT it's has the best graphics of any mmo I had played.

-World graphics
-Character graphics
-Close up viewing graphics
-Draw distance
-Animation
-Open seamless world

World graphics have beautiful sparkling trees and bushes, and logs to hide behind for PvP.  PvE encampments that are as perfect from a distance and better as you approach them.  And best of all every one is build completely different making exploring a great experience.  At times I would find myself deep in a valley looking for a path to get myself out of a venerable jagged cliff sided area only to find myself in a lush forest area with lots of cover a few minutes later.

The game has a night and day cycle with a beautiful Sun that cast perfect shadows and stars and planets at night.

Close up, like Skyrim you can pan down and look at an apple on a table and it would really look like an apple.

Draw distance is the best ever.  Much better than Vanguard had ever done. I could spot players from a mile away.  This is good and bad as they can see me too.

Animation, at times pve mobs would look at you with a freaky look before attacking. Kind of scary.

I'll end with this :

The world is designed to hide at times and sneak up on others too.  Sound of mounts, running on hard ground and harvesting could easly give you away, so you have to be carefull.

My first week I had to make it across the map to get close to my clans capitol city. On TS voice chat my guild was listening in on my adventure to make it across with such low prowess.  I was told to walk slow and hide when needed.  Not taking this advice I never realized how much of a target I was and how stealth I could have been.  Sure enuff, I seen two riders on mounts making it across a ridge quite far away.  I was in the open.  Yep, one spotted me from a mile away and without mercy ganked me.  My guild was disappointed as they were cheering me on in my journey only for it to fail.

Twice on my next try I had an encounter. First rule, I walked not to make noise, second I hid in my environment. One occasion I circled around a large rock as a passer by went right pass me and the second time after being spotted I put myself in a bush and did not move, he was less than 10 feet away and could not see me.  He sensed that I was still in the area and spent five minutes searching until he gave up.........Anyway I made my destination and it took over an hour. It may not sound like much but this was an adventure if you were there !.....

No Gold, no XP, but a compleated goal....something to remember. THIS TYPE OF STUFF MAKES THIS GAME A REAL MMO !

Comments

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    DF graphics movie I found in Youtube.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

You're saying that the character graphics are great?  Even when every character from a given class looks like every other character from a given class, regardless of race?

(/forumfaller voice) You must be new here.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i completely agree with you regarding the environmental graphics, they are outta control good.

the characters on the other hand need work imho

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

You're saying that the character graphics are great?  Even when every character from a given class looks like every other character from a given class, regardless of race?

I do have to admit that all races look the same, they look good but the same. I'm not trying to pull any fast ones here.

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

Darkfall has always been a game where there is both the most ugly scenery you've ever seen and some absolutely stunning scenery.

It depends where you are, some landscape is just ugly (like swaps, wastelands, volcanic areas ect) while others are just awesome (like jungle, forests, rivers in forests, tropical islands, desert)

Characters are placeholder models right now.  They had new unique character models like in the first game but they never made it into the game, they were rushed to launch ect and something like unique character models got put on the back burner.

It was kind of an issue in the first game where everyone rolled female humans and elfs because they had the smallest hitbox and reach.  also with the new game theres no racial traits to compensate for hitbox/reach differences.  So unique character models would need a LOT of testing and tweaking to avoid the old issues.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

You are confusing "Quality" and "Quantity". Fret not happens to the best of us.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    People complaining if character models only have themselves to blame since the fans were all bitching about the inequality of the different races hit boxes and reach.
  • SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

Is there still currents in the rivers?...Oceans? (never saw an ocean in the last game due to my limited trial time)

What do you all think the chances are of this game being on sale during the STEAM sales?lol.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

They made all hit box's the same to even the playing field (like adding wobble).  In order to make each hit box the same they made each race similar looking.  This was for the majority of people who quit (money loss) due to not being able to compete.  

I know I suck at FPS (was really bad at DF1.0 combat and had mad hate for Alfars back then) but now I do a ton better because of the changes (I can actually win fights for once!).  Anyone can jump in and fight if you are willing to tackle the risks Darkfall has (full loot, etc).

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by SoulStain

Is there still currents in the rivers?...Oceans? (never saw an ocean in the last game due to my limited trial time)

What do you all think the chances are of this game being on sale during the STEAM sales?lol.

steam has is on sale right now.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Personally I thought it was a really bland looking game. Even that RipperX video while some of the scenes are nice it still doesn't look very good. No where near GW2 in my opinion. GW2 just has some of the most gorgeous visuals I've ever seen.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Personally I thought it was a really bland looking game. Even that RipperX video while some of the scenes are nice it still doesn't look very good. No where near GW2 in my opinion. GW2 just has some of the most gorgeous visuals I've ever seen.

GW2 also makes everyone vanish when you have more than 30 player on the screen.  You can't target anyone and have to use ground targeted AOE's and guess where the enemy players are standing.  That made Mesmer portals nasty and really detracted from GW2.

Monday night I had over 200 players on my screen at the same time with about 20 - 30 FPS in Darkfall.  That is not a record for MMO's but its damn good (we only had one person with a 5 year old computer crashing, out of about 50 players).  Darkfall is built to be a MMORPG.  Not a pretty eye poping game that pretends its an MMORPG that is missing the MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER part. 

Note: If Darkfall had become vaperware as people claimed it would 10 years ago I would be playing GW2 and hating every minute of it.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

The art style in darkfall is the best of any game. The detail in the world is unparrlelled to any game. I'd like beter Character models, but then again the armor we wear looks better than any game.