Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Felt like I was installing windows

MerxionMerxion Mesa, AZ, AZPosts: 73Member Common
Next Next next Finish.  Every quest turn in.  Why does getting and turning in quests have to be such a process?  If I have a turn in and I right click on an npc turn the quest in and if you want to give me some RP story like just give it to me   heck i wont even complain if you slowly scroll it out.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon

Does turning in a quest make you sit and wait for tens of minutes, while wondering if your computer has locked up?  You know, like installing Windows does.  How about tracking down a 25 character license key?

Constantly clicking next doesn't have much to do with installing Windows.  There aren't very many steps to it, as it does most things automatically.

• PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,925Member Uncommon
    Silly that you are comparing two heavily unlike things. It does tend to be more story and dialog focused then most MMos but if you are considering it "Like installing windows" then be happy you apparently have never tried to install windows and have been spared the pain because its far worst off even if for some reason you absolutely hate the story and content and breeze through it all. 
  • BrynnBrynn Albuquerque, NMPosts: 345Member
    Is Beta 3 still being played? I thought we were told to delete it, to prepare for open beta 4. And that seems a very long time off, August 27.
  • ArakaziArakazi OxfordPosts: 889Member
    One day there will be a game where you won't have to do pesky things like quests, crafting, traveling, reading lore and killing mobs!
  • DaxamarDaxamar Green Cove Springs, FLPosts: 554Member

I'm not thrilled with the way quest turn in are handled either. I have the item, or items why should I have to click, click?

This goes for crafting and gathring quest also. WAY too much clicking!

Originally posted by Arakazi
    One day there will be a game where you won't have to do pesky things like quests, crafting, traveling, reading lore and killing mobs!

Those things are fine, butt clicking on 3 items for a turn in? >.<

Originally posted by Daxamar

I know what you mean, but I remember having to type the keywords to get the quest and complete it and then drag and drop things in a specific order then drag an drop the reward. Sometimes if you made a typo, the quest would rest and you had to start from the beginning. It was torture. 3 clicks is a dream compared to MUDs and old skool RPGs, hell even the first 12 months of EQ was a bit of a mess compared to FFIV current system. I hope you posted about this issue on the official forums so at least they will review it if it gets enough complaints.

• NaowutNaowut MusselkanaalPosts: 647Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Quizzical

How about tracking down a 25 character license key?

I don't understand this part.

• RavenHighwindRavenHighwind Decatur, GAPosts: 25Member

I take it the OP has never played a Final Fantasy game .... this IS a Final Fantasy game ... just ONLINE.

The chat bubbles are a staple in the series and they're in every numbered version of the game.. including this one. If you feel this hinders you, then I promise this isn't the game for you.

People who are new to Final Fantasy seem to think this is a MMO with some final fantasy sprinkled in.... actually it's the opposite. This is FF at the core with MMO on top. Once people start getting that into their heads, they'll appreciate the game for what it is.... a Final Fantasy title.

• lzanonlzanon Winter Haven, FLPosts: 316Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Naowut

Have you ever installed windows before?

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Ul''dah, CAPosts: 1,540Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Naowut

Originally posted by RavenHighwind

I take it the OP has never played a Final Fantasy game .... this IS a Final Fantasy game ... just ONLINE.

The chat bubbles are a staple in the series and they're in every numbered version of the game.. including this one. If you feel this hinders you, then I promise this isn't the game for you.

People who are new to Final Fantasy seem to think this is a MMO with some final fantasy sprinkled in.... actually it's the opposite. This is FF at the core with MMO on top. Once people start getting that into their heads, they'll appreciate the game for what it is.... a Final Fantasy title.

I've been watching a FFVII stream lately and every hour there is someone who comes in just to compare two things that are not alike and start some argument.  "WTF IS THIS S**T?  MINECRAFT?"   It's kind've funny, as some of them even admit to PS3 and or 360 being their first consoles and they have no idea what a Final Fantasy game is or how many numbers it has.

The thread title and the content kind've remind me of those people, but on a more static forum post.

@Naowut ;  It's something that happens when you install a lot of windows or reinstall a lot of windows for people.  Sometimes they just want a fresh install, but lost the cd key long ago.  You have to then go on a quest to find it buried in the computer to get the key.  It's a very painful process at times, though some programs in recent years made the process much easier such as Magical Bean or something.

@RavenHighwind ; Yes, this actually contributed to the feeling I got as written in my first paragraph.

When faced with strife or discontent, the true nature of a man is brought forth. It is then when we see the character of the individual. It is then we are able to tell if he is mature enough to grin and bare it, or subject his fellow man to his complaints and woes.

I know what you mean, but I remember having to type the keywords to get the quest and complete it and then drag and drop things in a specific order then drag an drop the reward. Sometimes if you made a typo, the quest would rest and you had to start from the beginning. It was torture. 3 clicks is a dream compared to MUDs and old skool RPGs, hell even the first 12 months of EQ was a bit of a mess compared to FFIV current system. I hope you posted about this issue on the official forums so at least they will review it if it gets enough complaints.

I dont remember MUDs bein that hard, and Im a lousy typer. As for EQ, I also dont rember I stopped playing that so long ago. LOL

Oh man, Im getting old! I did use clients to play them. Maybe that made the difference!

The beta forums are a mess right now. I think they closed the bug/feedback forums while itheres no beta goin on.

Ill go check later.

I dont remember MUDs bein that hard, and Im a lousy typer. As for EQ, I also dont rember I stopped playing that so long ago. LOL

Oh man, Im getting old! I did use clients to play them. Maybe that made the difference!

The beta forums are a mess right now. I think they closed the bug/feedback forums while itheres no beta goin on.

Ill go check later.

I used to play these MUDs when I was a kid. I used to get them in the post since I joined a computer gaming club, I would get 4 - 5 discs a month and amongst the demos and PD games there would be a MUD, some of them were just hellish to play, I would literally hold my breath as i typed hoping that the wrong answer would take me to the game over screen. When Forgotten Realms started making games like Eye of the Beholder etc. MUDs became a lot rarer. But when EQ first came out, it brought it all back.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite ManilaPosts: 879Member

I'm starting to wonder if you guys even get what he's trying to say.

Of course turning quests will never be like installing Windows, but I get what he's saying. The "Next next next finish" part is easy enough to understand. You guys don't have to be so pedantic.

• simulacrasimulacra Ocean, NJPosts: 93Member Common
    I think its because OP isn't actually reading the story behind the quests. FF is very story driven, always has been, and FFXIV is no different. It shouldn't feel like a chore. If it does, this just isn't the game for you.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG MelbournePosts: 1,134Member Uncommon

Don't give Microsoft ideas I don't want them to try to sell Windows installation as a game on Microsoft Network plz

Installing MS Windows - the RPG experience

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Brynn
    Is Beta 3 still being played? I thought we were told to delete it, to prepare for open beta 4. And that seems a very long time off, August 27.

The game launches August 27th. Phase 4 would obviously have to be before that! So I just shortened your wait by at least a week I am sure :).

• NaqajNaqaj Frankfurt am MainPosts: 1,673Member
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Don't give Microsoft ideas I don't want them to try to sell Windows installation as a game on Microsoft Network plz

Installing MS Windows - the RPG experience

Honestly, I think the OP is on to something there. If the Windows installer worked like questing in an MMO, that would be kinda rad. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,468Member Uncommon

I personally enjoyed handing the items to the quest NPC. Made me feel like I was not just clicking a complete button. Felt more viseral. 

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I personally enjoyed handing the items to the quest NPC. Made me feel like I was not just clicking a complete button. Felt more viseral. 

Im sure thats what they went for. More interaction with the game.

Still, after years of just click and done. This was a  step backwards. There not goin to change it. In my opinion, this is how they intend you to play the game.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,468Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Im sure thats what they went for. More interaction with the game.

Still, after years of just click and done. This was a  step backwards. There not goin to change it. In my opinion, this is how they intend you to play the game.

Kicking it old school. Sometimes we do something thinking its progress and it is for a time. Then all of a sudden we remember all the things are lost with advancement and all of a sudden we want back what we lost. Quests feel more like kill ten rats because we have lost touch with the story and the actions like giving the item to the NPC that made the quest come alive. I hope it stays the way it is. 

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 

• spankybusspankybus Orlando, FLPosts: 1,154Member Uncommon

I have to partially agree with the OP on one point regarding questing.

When an NPC expects me to deliver items...do I really have to click the items in my inventory to deliver them? If the quest expects items X, Y and Z...and said items are in my key inventory...why can't the delivery process be automatic when I speak to the NPC.

I mean, does anyone really find extra enjoyment in manually trade key items to an NPC to complete a quest. I mean, the quest tracker knows you found The items because they typically get checked off as you find them. So why can't the NPC chat dialog also know this and have the requisite items leave my inventory when I speak to the quest giver to complete the quest.

Just seems like busy work. Again, trivial...but does this make the game more fun?

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member

So then what will you do in the game? Tale in the Desert was already like that and http://www.atitd.com/ here it is - OH wait, that is a crafting game. So you don't want to do anything - talk about people on this forum complaining? 'NO VERTICAL PROGRESSION!!' 'NO HORIZONTAL PROGRESSION'.

Actually, there is a game like that out there - REAL LIFE  :-)

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

• MerxionMerxion Mesa, AZ, AZPosts: 73Member Common
    Originally posted by simulacra
    I think its because OP isn't actually reading the story behind the quests. FF is very story driven, always has been, and FFXIV is no different. It shouldn't feel like a chore. If it does, this just isn't the game for you.

Actually I was reading the story line.   I'ts fairly entertaining.

But come on you guys cant actually believe that the chat bubble lock up your screen while I scroll text that you have to click to get the next wall of text is good game design?  I mean seriously  Its not even a nice looking (...) bubble lol.  My point was a fair portion of the early content is story arc related and perform the cut scene lite version of the next next finish dance.  There are so many better ways of accomplishing this I'm just surprised because there are so many great game elements to the game.  And then you have this turd of a quest mechanic.

Atleast since you can have all the jobs you dont have to reroll and go through the unescable cut scene of death multiple times.

• MerxionMerxion Mesa, AZ, AZPosts: 73Member Common
    Originally posted by spankybus

I have to partially agree with the OP on one point regarding questing.

When an NPC expects me to deliver items...do I really have to click the items in my inventory to deliver them? If the quest expects items X, Y and Z...and said items are in my key inventory...why can't the delivery process be automatic when I speak to the NPC.

I mean, does anyone really find extra enjoyment in manually trade key items to an NPC to complete a quest. I mean, the quest tracker knows you found The items because they typically get checked off as you find them. So why can't the NPC chat dialog also know this and have the requisite items leave my inventory when I speak to the quest giver to complete the quest.

Just seems like busy work. Again, trivial...but does this make the game more fun?

This is what i'm talking about.  These are no brain unfun things that can be removed and would actually increase the enjoyment factor of the game.  People automatically thought I was just trolling to troll.  However that's not it at all.  I guess if that quest bubble and the right click to hand in or drag drop to hand in is super excitng to you and such a cannon part of the game far be it from me to express my opinion to say thats crappy interface design.