Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can EQ Next Bring World Peace?

ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

It seems like a small minority of forum posters are working themselves up into frenzy over the impending announcement of EQ Next. I honestly haven't seen so much excitement over a game, ever. Considering that only a select few of journalist have seen a few bits and pieces, that quite an accomplishment. Although there has been one or two leaks, by in large we (the MMO gamer) remain mostly ignorant about the game and are instead, like hungry peasants after a ball, relying on little tidbits that SOE throw at us. However, the aforementioned minority seem to grab these bits and pieces of information and fill the gaps with an idealized version of a game.

I may be old and cynical, therefore I cannot get excited over a MMO based on pure speculation. Yes, it a sandbox, but so what? Not all sandbox games turn out great. Yes it's free to play, but so are a lot of games on facebook. But in honor of the hyperbole that is EQNext, I have made a little poll. I urge you all to calm down a bit, be realistic and vote Oba.. with your conscience.

Comments

• radagast777radagast777 Member Posts: 80
    Some people like certain things. Some people don't like certain things. What is wrong with enthusiasm towards something you like? Everquest has been around for a while and some people are invested in the universe just like a book series or anything else that makes someone happy.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by radagast777
    Some people like certain things. Some people don't like certain things. What is wrong with enthusiasm towards something you like? Everquest has been around for a while and some people are invested in the universe just like a book series or anything else that makes someone happy.

What exactly is there to like? All we has so far is a ugly poster. It may be the same IP but from what we all hear, the game will be radically different from previous incarnations of the franchise. At least with a long running series of books like the Wheel of Time or Malazan book of the Fallen we have the same story and mostly the same cast.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

EQ franchise is pretty long running and very popular, naturally long time fans are going to get a little derpy given another game is coming out. And the hype SoE has been spouting about it being a sandbox I suppose.

The speculation at this point is mildly entertaining, but worthless until August 2nd. I think people just want to talk/keep themselves busy though until details are out.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

did you mean this?

http://whirledpeasband.com/

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

In a way it is somewhat I feel a believe they can change everything. I mean literally, they are pretty much what started the 'WoW style' game, despite how much people give false credit to wow for actually creating the style of MMO. It might just be that belief they can revolutionize the MMo market yet again with EQNext. I personal no, not cause it won't be good but becuase the current state of games is over saturated. There have been plenty of games better then wow or held more potential, simply put we are far less dedicated then we use to be so sadly they don't get to grow as quickly or get enough support back behind them to advance the way WoW had.

The only hope i feel would be to completely change the game, Virtual reality I feel being the only real way for a new MMo to ever strike it huge like WoW managed to coming out early enough to garnish attention while not too late in which theres a large variety of choices to dilute the player pool from.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Smedley mentioned that EQN will be a sandbox, which got a lot of members here very excited. Which is fun to watch btw.

But what I am curious about is how many EQN devs went /facepalm when Smedley mentioned sandbox :p We all know that we have 3284768734 different opinions on this board about what a sandbox is. Add to that that Smedley is the type of person that sees icebergs when he puts icecubes in his drinks.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Originally posted by Arakazi

It seems like a small minority of forum posters are working themselves up into frenzy over the impending announcement of EQ Next. I honestly haven't seen so much excitement over a game, ever. Considering that only a select few of journalist have seen a few bits and pieces, that quite an accomplishment. Although there has been one or two leaks, by in large we (the MMO gamer) remain mostly ignorant about the game and are instead, like hungry peasants after a ball, relying on little tidbits that SOE throw at us. However, the aforementioned minority seem to grab these bits and pieces of information and fill the gaps with an idealized version of a game.

I may be old and cynical, therefore I cannot get excited over a MMO based on pure speculation. Yes, it a sandbox, but so what? Not all sandbox games turn out great. Yes it's free to play, but so are a lot of games on facebook. But in honor of the hyperbole that is EQNext, I have made a little poll. I urge you all to calm down a bit, be realistic and vote Oba.. with your conscience.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The hype is overwhelming. 

• radagast777radagast777 Member Posts: 80
    I don't understand why people feel the need to go out of their way to hate things. Really just shut up and enjoy life
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I don't understand why people feel the need to go out of their way to hate things. Really just shut up and enjoy life

I don't understand either. Luckily in this thread I only saw a healthy dose of sceptism and no hate so far.

I don't "hate" EQnext. In fact I'm a curious about it. However, the hype surrounding the game is just plain over the top, like a perpetual motion machine gone out of control. Thread after thread on the site is telling everyone that cares to listen that EQN is going to save MMO's. Sorry, but they don't know what the hell they are talking about! The hype on this game is purely based on innuendo and what Smedly said in an interview full of promises. How the hell Smedly has been transformed from super villain to saviour of humanity is a testament on how a few key words like "sandbox" can change things.

• fillybluntsfillyblunts Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Yes. The Arabs and Jews will even get together to play eqnext and eat hummus.
  • xxxxxx1xxxxxx1 Member UncommonPosts: 105

EQNext Team is doing the Apple's approach (example: iPhone). I believe that is the first time I've seen for a MMO company to do that. We will see if this work out on August 2nd.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Love the poll...

Europa universalis... Such an awesome game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I don't think he's hating on anything.  I mean, I wonder why people are getting so psyched up too, SOE games are never mind-blowing to me.  EQ2 had promise as far as questing and story, but the game itself lacked a lot.  Hopefully for fans, they can hit one out of the park after years of striking out.

As for the choices, I picked #2.  I just thought it sounded funny, but personally I'll be a fan when and only when I see gameplay that looks decent.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Retarded poll. But it seems to be the new standard here so I guess that makes it an average poll?

Every month a game gets this much or more hype so I don't see what you're on about either.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by fillyblunts
    Yes. The Arabs and Jews will even get together to play eqnext and eat hummus.

PvP confirmed.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

EQN hype reminds me so much of Guild Wars 2. Let's hope this time it doesn't end in a complete disappointment.

I'm definitely not pre-ordering this one, though. As the saying goes - Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• LorskaLorska Member UncommonPosts: 74

I actually think there are a couple of points that DO make the hype for this different than for past games.  Namely:

-I don't know of any other sandbox MMOs that were developed by a company with a huge budget to start with.  CCP was a small company to begin with when they did EVE. 

-The two best in show awards.  I know a lot of people are dismissing these since they weren't personally allowed to see the games, but I doubt both this site and TTH would be willing to tarnish their credibility that much with the particular choices of words they both used, implying that EQN just blew everything else out of the water. 

I am making a point to myself to not assume EQN will be everything of my dreams, "filling in the gaps" so to speak, but I'd put money down that it will be something new and that I'm probably gonna like it more than the same old same old we've been getting for the last 10 years. 

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

World Peace isn't very immersive.

We need open world PVP.

Originally posted by Lorska

I actually think there are a couple of points that DO make the hype for this different than for past games.  Namely:

-I don't know of any other sandbox MMOs that were developed by a company with a huge budget to start with.  CCP was a small company to begin with when they did EVE. 

-The two best in show awards.  I know a lot of people are dismissing these since they weren't personally allowed to see the games, but I doubt both this site and TTH would be willing to tarnish their credibility that much with the particular choices of words they both used, implying that EQN just blew everything else out of the water. 

I am making a point to myself to not assume EQN will be everything of my dreams, "filling in the gaps" so to speak, but I'd put money down that it will be something new and that I'm probably gonna like it more than the same old same old we've been getting for the last 10 years. 

I was seriously baffled by the two best in show awards, given that the peasants like myself could not see it I don't believe it should of qualified. Most I got of out of anyone that saw it from E3 was from a journalist that said it was "great" but couldn't say anymore. A friend of mine who was with me speculated that once the lights went out and the screen turned on, the whole room was brainwashed via subliminal stimuli that they watched instead on the preview.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    No it will just bring more drama to these forums like every mmo
    Originally posted by Naowut

Retarded poll. But it seems to be the new standard here so I guess that makes it an average poll?

Every month a game gets this much or more hype so I don't see what you're on about either.

It was actually an attempt at satire based on another poll on here. Plus not all games get this much hype on here. The Secret world, dragon prophet, age of wushu or tantra didn't get this much hype. Hell, in my opinion GW2 didn't get this much hype and it had something to show the world.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    You forgot about solving world hunger. Of course it'll do both! Have you been locked away in a closet for the past year?

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Naowut

It was actually an attempt at satire based on another poll on here. Plus not all games get this much hype on here. The Secret world, dragon prophet, age of wushu or tantra didn't get this much hype. Hell, in my opinion GW2 didn't get this much hype and it had something to show the world.

I haven't seen much in the way of hype at least in terms of forum posting, the discussion seems more along the lines of questions and speculation.

As far as numbers of people being excited go, I'm not surprised at all. Look how popular GW2 was, mostly due to exposure to GW1. This is the EQ franchise we're talking about. I was never a fan but hundreds of thousands were.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Don't forget cure aids, save the polar bears, end world hunger, and restore all natural disaster ravages to their former pre-devastation state.

But yeah the hype is beyond retarded.  Whisper sandbox and say nor provide any details on PvP to let the mindless masses speculate and people come out of the woodwork like cockroaches.  Camelot Unchained did the exact same thing.

Here's to Aug 2nd n all the sweet QQ Rage threads to will spawn on that day.