Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoE has the most dishonest payment model of all MMO companies.

WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

While people argue about P2P and F2P.

(I greatly prefer P2P)

SoE does something very different from both P2P and F2P.

Their games are called F2P, but they include:

-$15 monthly P2P subscriptions within the same game to unlock levels / classes / abilities

-the buying of expansions

-cash shop

So what SoE does is combine a cash shop with F2P, and with P2P.

Tell me again why this company is still in business.

Comments

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Cause this trifecta of cash intake keeps them going.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Waterlily

(I greatly prefer P2P)

-$15 monthly P2P subscriptions within the same game to unlock levels / classes / abilities

-cash shop

Because unlike Turbine and other scammy companies, they give you the option of just paying the monthly fee to unlock everything you used to have access to with a monthly fee (Turbine, meanwhile, also still has a monthly fee, but it gives you tokens and makes you spend those tokens to unlock things, the end result being, you're paying MORE money for LESS content).

And their FTP model lets the players use just about everything.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

.....................  Tell me again why this company is still in business.

Prob because we're still forming a raid to assault EA.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Actually i think SOE is one of the better MMO hosing companies with fun games, and they deliver what they promise...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

(I greatly prefer P2P)

-cash shop

You are still able to play the game for free.... so it is F2P.

They have multiple options for you to choose from to pay for upgrades to your account, which is how they generate revenue. Sounds like a good, and fair, system to me.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

The problems plaguing the game industry right now arise from the cash shop (and the monitization analytics which follow), not the barrier to logging in.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

While people argue about P2P and F2P.(I greatly prefer P2P)SoE does something very different from both P2P and F2P. Their games are called F2P, but they include:-$15 monthly P2P subscriptions within the same game to unlock levels / classes / abilities-the buying of expansions-cash shop So what SoE does is combine a cash shop with F2P, and with P2P. Tell me again why this company is still in business.

I find it funny that you are actually looking for support in your opinions.
    Ive dealt with SOE for many years and will again as soon as EQNext is released.

The difference with SOE is that you know up front exactly what to expect. They don't hide it and then bait you in.

I have no problems with SOE or their Business models.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307

Sorry, Blizzard wins here again. They are introducing XP potions and loot coins for sale in Asia and may bring them to the US, they are testing them out first. Like SOE does.

Blizzard is also going to sell appearance items, like SOE does, starting with helms, among other things. Last I checked Blizzard charges $15 per month, requires a base game purchase and IIRC requires 2 expansions purchases to get up to date.

The entire industry is moving this way with DLC being the first push. Once XBOXONE and PS4 have full streaming available I expect to see a LOT more f2p games pop up on that platform.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

(I greatly prefer P2P)

-cash shop

You were meaning this as a joke/troll post right?

Dejo had it pretty accurate but I would say Perfect World over Blizzard.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

As others have already pointed out you can pay a subscription and everything is unlocked.I'm sick of people expecting to get everything someone pays a subscription for on F2P. Also there are Krono which can be bought from the brokers for in game currency that also unlocks everything for 30 days.

So in fact OP,you're totally and utterly wrong,SOE has the best options to play. Also their games are good towards other AAA Games

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Because unlike you, their paying customers do not have a problem with this approach.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Only EQ, EQ2 and Vanguard suffer from this issue.. others like PS2, WO and DCUO don't... in other words, the newer ones seem to be ok. Dunno how DP will turn out though...
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • oGMooGMo Member UncommonPosts: 89

If people weren't playing and paying they wouldn't be doing it.

TBH I have no issues with this model, as long as they don't introduce pay-to-win items into the cash shop. The f2p stuff is a decent, unlimited trial. Then you have a low-cost option for getting all the unlocks as well as monthly credits for the store, which you should be able to save up and buy expansions with.

I'd much prefer this to, say, Rift, where it's "pure" f2p and all the unlocks add up to be quite expensive and per-character, including expansion content.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

The worst part about SoE's model I find is the lock/gold member requirement for high tier gear. Especially in Vanguard, where good gear is pretty accessible and really makes a difference in soloing performance.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but iirc EQ2 also wouldn't let free players sell stuff on the market. That's a bit much if they still do that, but otherwise they've opened it up a good bit since they first started this model, and I prefer the option to just subscribe and get everything if I plan on seriously playing the game.

• AysonoAysono Member Posts: 164

Subscribe to unlock games features is not considered dishonest.

Games like Free Realms are usually called Freemium games. I don't think they are faring very well against unrestricted F2P games but they are not really dishonest because they tell you up front you need to pay to unlock features.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

(I greatly prefer P2P)

-cash shop

Both EQ2's and PS2's cash shop's are miles ahead of 90% of the other games I have tried.  One can play EQ2 on sub and expansion cost alone forever and never even open the cash shop store.  I know because I have been since the game went F2P.

PS2's skill earning rate with a sub is pretty fast and really takes the edge off of grinding for weapons.  Makes it feel a lot less like grinding and a lot more like rewarding me for playing.

And if you purchase the all station pass you get sub access to all of SOE's sub games plus $5 a month in station cash for significantly less than what a lot of so called F2P or even B2P games will cost you.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Troll post he obviously does not play  SOE games.

EQ,EQ2 You can buy kronos for plat in game from people selling them.  These give you a 30 day sub.  You can literally play EQ F2P with a gold Sub just by earning 250k plat a month or less depending on the server.  

You can play any zone, dungeon, raid in any of the games as f2p in EQ you can wear Tier 1 RAID gear from the most recent expansion. 

How much more do you want ?  How are they suppose to make money if you want everything and won't pay ?   Go to business school and tell your professor your views see how you get laughed out of school.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

(I greatly prefer P2P)

-cash shop

Well, while you can read, you fail to comprehend that everything someone gets with a sub is unlock-able for F2P folks.  They reward subscribers with not having to sink money into every toon they make.  It is by far the best method out there IMHO.  Besides, the cash shop provides no advantage other than XP pots so who cares if they have it.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

A subscription does not unlock levels, classes, or races (at least in the EQ games).

everquest

everquest2

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    OP you answered your own question, they are in business and constantly updating thier games unlike other "better than" F2P models. SoE does this by actually has a model that is attractive to both subs and free players. The brilliant part is that they don't have to have the servers stocked to get by and have a good income.

Their model isn't dishonest at all. You can pay for as much or as least as you want and feel that it's worth it. I really don't know how you come to your conclusion.
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by dejoblue

Sorry, Blizzard wins here again. They are introducing XP potions and loot coins for sale in Asia and may bring them to the US, they are testing them out first. Like SOE does.

Blizzard is also going to sell appearance items, like SOE does, starting with helms, among other things. Last I checked Blizzard charges $15 per month, requires a base game purchase and IIRC requires 2 expansions purchases to get up to date.

The entire industry is moving this way with DLC being the first push. Once XBOXONE and PS4 have full streaming available I expect to see a LOT more f2p games pop up on that platform.

So, let me understand your logic.  Blizzard is copying SOEs model making Blizzard second in using it and they win?  They are cloning SOE yet again and they win.  Well this just goes to show how you WoW fanbois are playing ball in left field in Minute Maid Park while the ball was hit to right field in Candlestick.  Keep trying, maybe you'll get a hit someday...

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

.....................  Tell me again why this company is still in business.

Prob because we're still forming a raid to assault EA.

So true... 

In other news, swtor calls itself f2p but has everything you listed as well >.>

• AysonoAysono Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by dejoblue

So, let me understand your logic.  Blizzard is copying SOEs model making Blizzard second in using it and they win?  They are cloning SOE yet again and they win.  Well this just goes to show how you WoW fanbois are playing ball in left field in Minute Maid Park while the ball was hit to right field in Candlestick.  Keep trying, maybe you'll get a hit someday...

The major difference is subscription in SOE games are optional but mandatory in WoW, unless you tell me "free up to level 20" is not just a cheap demo of the game.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Yeah , PWI/Cryptic although F2P is extremely overpriced. Once you order you get no receipt of what you purchased and there's no log or method of purchase history. There's no way to dispute a purchase unless you keep meticulous records and keep a screen shot record of every dime spent.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

(I greatly prefer P2P)

-cash shop

You forgot the lockboxes