Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what actually is it?

shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107
Being on an MMO site and after being fed all the hype, I really didn't expect - "This is more a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game than an MMO. [You'll see] very limited UI, nice and clean, not a lot of bars. The combat system is very much action-based. It’s also soloable. You can solo almost the entire game." -  Matt Firor's own words. So much for the sandbox toughie; its a console game where you invite a couple of friends.

Comments

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864
    So it's like GW2? What you described sounds exactly like GW2.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Tazlor
    So it's like GW2? What you described sounds exactly like GW2.

no I assume its like NWN.

GW2 is a MMO, just not seamless and doesnt limit to a single persistent world even though you officially have a persistent world for each server.

in NWN the world itself is instanced to a select amount of people at a time per zone. no seamlessness. Just zone to zone server.

thats my speculation. so not official. also no NDA breaks.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by shass
    Being on an MMO site and after being fed all the hype, I really didn't expect - "This is more a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game than an MMO. [You'll see] very limited UI, nice and clean, not a lot of bars. The combat system is very much action-based. It’s also soloable. You can solo almost the entire game." -  Matt Firor's own words. So much for the sandbox toughie; its a console game where you invite a couple of friends.

The problem is it's simply just words. I feel like it's being taken out of context and being thought about too much.

I will try the game, if it sucks, it sucks. I will not judge it, until I play it. The thing about words coming from someones mouth, devs and the like, it can easily be misinterpreted and may not mean exactly what it sounds like.

We can solo almost the entire game doesn't really say much. What is almost? 80%, 60%? It's very vague, and everyone freaks the hell out as if it's something that has an exact meaning.

Now I am not saying anyone here is wrong either, so don't freak on on me. I am just saying we simply do not know. I have heard many devs say stupid crap in my time that freaked people out, then later on the dev has to clarify what he or she meant.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I'm confused about this who multiplayer versus MMO and the drama behind it. Most Skyrim fans that didn't want to play solo wanted the ability to play with a friend or two which is what led to the Multiplayer Mod that just did a bad job of making that happen. Now all of those fans can do that in PVE next year. They can play solo as most Themepark games allow for, or they can team up with others. Eliminate one or the other and the game becomes a Niche game. Isn't that what 99% of people do when as they level? How often does someone level up with more than 1 person except in events like in Rift/ GW2 or instance dungeons of 4-6 players in just about every other game....and even when games offer that like those two, then everyone complains its a mindless. Hopefully they will have random types of something that others can join in with.

They said the PVP currently has a target of 200+ on the screen with over 1000+ on the map and they are trying to increase that over time. Is that not MMO like?

We haven't heard much about social options and hopefully it won't feel as alienating as SWTOR was due to almost madatory companions and not being able to chat when in these long drawn out PVE cutscenes, but I'm waiting to see more of what they do in this realm as time goes on.

There Is Always Hope!

• SephrinxSephrinx Member UncommonPosts: 94

From what I have been able to understand about this game, is that it isn't truly an MMO, per se, but is more like how you would say, a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game. I want it to truly be an MMO, with a real, hardcore MMO design. Whether or not that is the case, we have yet to find out for certain. I am still waiting and hoping for a Beta Key so I can get cracking on this game.

If it is just Multiplayer Skyrim, no thank you. If it is anything like Skyrim, no thank you. I couldn't get passed level 50 in Skyrim, I got burnt out spamming my "attack" button so frivolously. There are a lot of good things about Skyrim too tho, but I don't see any of them fitting into an MMO type of game. Only time can tell how this one will play out in the end. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a Beta Key. If anyone has an extra, send it my way ;P

imageimageimageimage

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Why mention sandbox? Sandbox != group content.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Might go against popular opinion, but that sounds like exactly what I've been looking for. I'm tired of the "raid or die" mentality that's so prevalent in this genre, so an mmorpg where you can solo, or small group the majority of the content, is a refreshing change--for me at least. It's the sort of freedom that I loved about Asheron's Call.

I hope they stay the course.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

It is what it was a year ago and what it was 6 months ago.

But I can't really blame those new to following the development of this game, hearing the latest marketing spin aimed at non-MMOers and thinking that something has changed. The joke's on you: it's still the same MMO with the same features (and yes, that includes the minimalist UI and small #--14--of active skills) it was all along. All that's changed is who they're targeting with their hype at the moment.

You guys do know that MMOs can be soloed from 1-level cap...right?

All they're saying is "Give me your tired single player gamers, your huddled masses yearning to play online, the wretched refuse of failed raids. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me: I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by immodium

Why mention sandbox? Sandbox != group content.

Why mantion sandbox? Because if you bother to read where you post, then on the forum overview it clearly states ' EverQuest Next is the next evolution of SOE's EverQuest franchise, and according to the publisher it will be the largest sandbox ever made.'   Their words exacly; So that's why I mention it.