Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confession: I Quit SWG Before the CU/NGE

I quit SWG about 3 months before the CU was supposed to come out. At the time with me and my friends playing, the CU was actually sounding really good, with promises to make gear matter and flesh out the combat and make it more exciting. But even before we got to try out the CU we all quit for our own seperate reasons. 

One friend left because of buggy proffesions like Droid Engineer and Chef, he didnt like the idea of fighting, and although he got far in both, the bugs and constant changes made it hard for him to keep up (Mind you this was high school so he was like 15).

Another couldnt run the game without lagging terribly, he didnt have the worst comp, but his 56k internet connection made itnear impossible to run without constant shuttering (I was lucky enough to have DSL by this point).

And my last friend rage-quit over JTL saying it was poor expansion and that it deviated from the core elements that made SWG great, like crafting and exploration. A valid reason, but also kind of a poor excuse since you didnt have to play the expansion and could ignore it entirely. 

Me...well I left simply because I had played the game long enough, and it was so easy to quit. In fact really, that game was begging you to find a reason to quit. From the lag, to the buggy professions, and even the implimntation of overly powerful jedi class, things were just never right in the world of SWG.

Playing the game was like living in the one of the most fucked up apartment complexs on the city block, it was crazy and hard to deal with most of the time, but at least it was interesting and there was always something new going on.

The fact is I quit SWG long before the game got ruined even further by money deprived devs, in fact their actions were a direst result of that. Now if they had left the game alone would it still be around? Maybe, whose to say, or maybe the times we had in SWG were enough, and even if we had the game now wed have forgotten its name like it was City of Heroes or Shronicles of Spellborn, or any other MMO that had a small niche community and then never got bigger?

Ill still always have the epic stories to tell, but I think its time to admit when the game is lost,  like it always was. Even in beta and up till they scrapped 80% of the game 9 months before launch it just never really had a chance to become more than it was. It was a tool, a unique manifestation of human beings living in a virtual world, and it should be rememberd for that, not for the social over-reaction to its proposed mediocrity. 

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

Comments

• Mr_MechanicalMr_Mechanical Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by JIUBHUNNY420

*snip*

Playing the game was like living in the one of the most fucked up apartment complexs on the city block, it was crazy and hard to deal with most of the time, but at least it was interesting and there was always something new going on.

*snip*

This analogy works on so many levels with this and so many other games.     Thanks I laughed, and will laugh again when I reuse it someday in my own explanation of something.  ;-)

• klagmireklagmire Member UncommonPosts: 95

Thats game was WAY better after the NGE/CU. You missed out. They put in so much more features it was crazy, GCW invasions, crafting exspansion, revampped all classes, JTL with atmospheric flight(GCW attacks in space).Storyteller content

The old combat skill system was DATED. It was in monochrome blue with simple icons that took like 20 secs to even go. You had a q filled up waiting in combat. It was awful!!!

The new combat system was fast and action packed(especially for group PVP). It was MUCH MUCH better. The new skill trees were actually really good.

I know all this, because I stayed and played till the end. So anyone who says they quit back then, didnt know ANYTHING about SWG when it ended.

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by klagmire

Thats game was WAY better after the NGE/CU. You missed out. They put in so much more features it was crazy, GCW invasions, crafting exspansion, revampped all classes, JTL with atmospheric flight(GCW attacks in space).Storyteller content

The old combat skill system was DATED. It was in monochrome blue with simple icons that took like 20 secs to even go. You had a q filled up waiting in combat. It was awful!!!

The new combat system was fast and action packed(especially for group PVP). It was MUCH MUCH better. The new skill trees were actually really good.

I know all this, because I stayed and played till the end. So anyone who says they quit back then, didnt know ANYTHING about SWG when it ended.

Nah, he experienced the true SWG and the most fun version. The lolNGE dumbed the game down to kiddie level and was nothing but laughable.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106

You are one of the very few that think this way. If your opinion was commonly accepted, SWG wouldn't have met an early demise.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

The game was a buggy mess with horrible pve and class mechanics. What was great about it was offset heavily with what was bad.

The game was a ghost town before NGE and for valid reasons. I also left well before NGE as did most players.

You stay sassy!

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Me too.  I played SWG for a few months with my brother soon after launch.  He loved and went on to play for years.  I was completely bored with it.

To me SWG had a lot of features but it just wasn't very well put together. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I think it was a really compelling game that could have been really great if they kept working on it.  But instead of fixing bugs and adding meaningfully to the foundation of the game, they threw the baby out with the bath water.

It would be great if we had an official precu server, just one.  But I guess that can't happen.  It's been a long time since SWG precu too, so I don't know anymore.  A lot has changed in gaming as well as my expectations.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I was a  Publish 4 Jedi unlock (second on my server I believe) and quit shortly after the village was introduced. 

For me, that signalled the end. Suddenly, (almost) everyone was doing the same thing and the sense of individuality was lost.

However, I did come back to try the CU, and then the NGE, and then to say goodbye. 

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

It's hard to remember the specifics after all these years, but I too stopped playing before the CU/NGE. I chose to play a Creature Handler at launch, and the never ending mindless nerfs to that profession just crushed my spirit. However I thought the game as a whole showed great originality and promise, and I always intended to return and start over again in a new profession when things settled down.

Then came the CU and I believe my thinking was something like "hmmm, I'm not sure. I think I'll wait a bit longer to see how this one goes." Then next came the NGE and it was easy to see that everything I loved about SWG was being obliterated in an attempt to turn the game into WoW in space. So I never did go back. But I've been a member of SWGemu for six years now, and maybe one day I'll get a chance to play this incredible MMORPG one more time. And looking at all we've had since SWG, I'll consider that a rare privilege.

Originally posted by madazz

You are one of the very few that think this way. If your opinion was commonly accepted, SWG wouldn't have met an early demise.

An early demise? The game ran for 9 years Sub based. the only reason it stopped is because of SWTOR and lucas arts not renewing the license. I think its funny how people base an opinion on both games Pre-CU or post-CU with only playing one of the versions.

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by JIUBHUNNY420

I quit SWG about 3 months before the CU was supposed to come out. At the time with me and my friends playing, the CU was actually sounding really good, with promises to make gear matter and flesh out the combat and make it more exciting. But even before we got to try out the CU we all quit for our own seperate reasons. 

One friend left because of buggy proffesions like Droid Engineer and Chef, he didnt like the idea of fighting, and although he got far in both, the bugs and constant changes made it hard for him to keep up (Mind you this was high school so he was like 15).

Another couldnt run the game without lagging terribly, he didnt have the worst comp, but his 56k internet connection made itnear impossible to run without constant shuttering (I was lucky enough to have DSL by this point).

And my last friend rage-quit over JTL saying it was poor expansion and that it deviated from the core elements that made SWG great, like crafting and exploration. A valid reason, but also kind of a poor excuse since you didnt have to play the expansion and could ignore it entirely. 

Me...well I left simply because I had played the game long enough, and it was so easy to quit. In fact really, that game was begging you to find a reason to quit. From the lag, to the buggy professions, and even the implimntation of overly powerful jedi class, things were just never right in the world of SWG.

The fact is I quit SWG long before the game got ruined even further by money deprived devs, in fact their actions were a direst result of that. Now if they had left the game alone would it still be around? Maybe, whose to say, or maybe the times we had in SWG were enough, and even if we had the game now wed have forgotten its name like it was City of Heroes or Shronicles of Spellborn, or any other MMO that had a small niche community and then never got bigger?

Ill still always have the epic stories to tell, but I think its time to admit when the game is lost,  like it always was. Even in beta and up till they scrapped 80% of the game 9 months before launch it just never really had a chance to become more than it was. It was a tool, a unique manifestation of human beings living in a virtual world, and it should be rememberd for that, not for the social over-reaction to its proposed mediocrity. 

I quit it after two nights. Game didn't do it for me.

Yes, the game  was not for eveybody. It had a steap learning curve. people who thought they would jump in and be awsome had another thing comming.

• JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131
    Yes, the game  was not for eveybody. It had a steap learning curve. people who thought they would jump in and be awsome had another thing comming.

I think thats the one regret I have, is not quiting, but more not realizing how truely intelligent and innovative that game was while it was out (and PRENGE of course). 

I remember sitting their with my friends and talking for hours about stuff we did in game, and then one person would bring up a bug or some petty frustration they had and we would all chastize the game and say howtypical it was. I think we honestly felt like we were above the game in alot of ways, especially me because I played it regularly but didnt grind skills, I just played at myown pace and let other people fly by me...

Becuase you could do that in SWG!

You could jump into the game, and make a significant impact on your character or someone elses simply by interacting with other people, and you didnt have to enter combat or some instance or get pulled out of the immersion to do it. 

If I could go back and relive that 2 years or so tha I played, even with the crappy connection and graphics card I had again, I would do it. Just because SWG was one of those experiances you never really get back.

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Alot of people quit before the CU, that's why it happened in the first place!

Why anybody thought Star Wars and the Raph Koster philosophy of MMO design was a great idea is a complete mystery.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Tierless
    Technically for every thing I LOVE I can name one I HATE about SWG. It was an insane, dramatic, up and down ride. 1 foot forward, 2 back. I think the reason it resonates so well is because what it did right was incredible, what it did wrong was deplorable, and the potential it had was unimaginable.
    This sums it up well. The stuff it did right was groundbreaking, genre defining gold. The stuff it did bad was deal-breakingly bad. In the end, its still one of the best video games I've ever played.