Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Will EverQuest Next bring a new golden era to online gaming?

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by tkreep
    God I hope not, I dont want to grind all day for 1 million experience points and wait 6 hours for a group.

I think this is something that every developer understands by now...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    For those hardcore gamers that cant understand, online gaming is still growing, day by day more people join online gaming. The golden era however is still not uppon us for the next few years.

Technically it's passed. At least if we're going by the true meaning of a golden age. MMO's were pure to form in the early days. They've become something else since then.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Originally posted by DancingQueen

will EQN bring back the golden days of online gaming?

I REALLY wanted to believe that game companies nowadays have the courage to do things differently than WoW, but that reinterpretation art just dissuaded me so heavily. Now my cynical side keeps telling me- did I really think EQNext could resist adopting parts of the WoW model?

I have more confidence the golden age will stem from Crowdfunded projects like Shroud of the Avatar, Star Citizen, Camelot Unchained, and PathFinder Online. These all have the common denominator of being sandboxes that actually listen to their players and create their own trends, as risky or as bold as they may seem (because they are not at the mercy of publishers).

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    For those hardcore gamers that cant understand, online gaming is still growing, day by day more people join online gaming. The golden era however is still not uppon us for the next few years.

Technically it's passed. At least if we're going by the true meaning of a golden age. MMO's were pure to form in the early days. They've become something else since then.

I would say you are wrong. The golden age hasn't even been reached and it wont be reached until technology progressives much futher a long.

Calling MMORPG that were release 10 years ago the golden age is nothing more than older generation wishing things were the same. Actually, if things hadn't changed with WOW the genre would be dead by now or wouldn't be as huge as it is now.

Anyways, it is too early to be able to properly determine when something was the golden age, but it certainly wasn't during the time of EQ1 and of UO. 

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    SoE has really killed the "Everquest" brand. IMO they shouldnt name the game Everquest Next that golden era can never be recaptured. Let it go
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by tkreep
    God I hope not, I dont want to grind all day for 1 million experience points and wait 6 hours for a group.

You mean you're not drinkin' the nostalgia kool-aid?!  C'mon man, everyone is doing it!!!  image

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

Based on 63 votes.

33.3% for Yes and 66.7% for No... interesting.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

Why can't we wait for August 2nd for some polls like these?

I know people like to speculate, for a thread like this, all you had to do was wait a couple weeks. August 2nd we'll have an idea of if its the same old or actually changing the genre.

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by hMJem

Why can't we wait for August 2nd for some polls like these?

I know people like to speculate, for a thread like this, all you had to do was wait a couple weeks. August 2nd we'll have an idea of if its the same old or actually changing the genre.

Ok no threads about EQN until 8/2 got it!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

'So what do you older gamers think... will EQN bring back the golden days of online gaming?'

The hype is getting out of control for this game. By the way i thought GW2 was the 'one' to bring a golden era to online gaming?

No veteran MMORPG gamers believed that. Not with the hyper casual drop in focus on GW2. We thought the PvP may have been good, and that it'd kill the quest based leveling system... and the events are good, but the soft grouping mechanic has just resulted in everyone playing the game in the same zone but by themselves, without grouping or talking or interacting.

The PvP was also poorly thought out shitty attempt at DAoC glory.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Voted "NO".

Honestly......

I think the "good old times" (speaking games) are gone. Fucking everything goes for fast Entertainment and our newest curse, F2P. There will be no change anymore. Even "IF" we get some interesting things like EQNext (perhaps!?!?!), Pathfinder Online and so forth, it will be just a matter of time until they get rid of that last challenges inside a game as soon as the Community cries loud enough. Also the RL Jobs we have now have changed so much. Nowadays some of us have even 3 Jobs to fullfill per day, means there is not enough time for another "Digital Job". It must be Entertainment which rewards you quickly in no time. Only then this Gaming Generation can have a deep sleep.

That, what we "Old ones" know as good, is gone. And it will be never coming back because the "Base" has changed. Can you imagine how many players a Game would have without a Map like DaoC back then? All the younglings would cry so loud because they have not learned these Systems. They would be like a Man without Arms or Legs. And this is just one tiny example.

These times are gone......if for the good, who knows. EQNext will not change that. It "might" come a bit closer to the old things but thats it. We will find out on August i think.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Ya, I reserve my vote for after August 2nd.

Also, I would almost include vanilla WoW in the golden era.  It was actually better than most of the current MMOs at that time, and had a lot less of the features that destroyed the genre at the launch than it does now.  Obviously, that quickly changed.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

'So what do you older gamers think... will EQN bring back the golden days of online gaming?'

The hype is getting out of control for this game. By the way i thought GW2 was the 'one' to bring a golden era to online gaming?

Obviously GW2 did bring a golden era to online gaming.  If you're not enjoying the golden age, you must be doing it wrong! ;)

At least that's what I was told when I said that GW2 became boring way too quickly...

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

to me the "golden era" started with EQ, Daoc,and D2 and ended with wow. no we will never get that feeling back again no matter what online game gave us that warm fuzzy feeling back then.

online gaming was new and addicting back then, now i cant see any game being like that for me ever again, no matter how good it is.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Ya, I reserve my vote for after August 2nd.

Also, I would almost include vanilla WoW in the golden era.  It was actually better than most of the current MMOs at that time, and had a lot less of the features that destroyed the genre at the launch than it does now.  Obviously, that quickly changed.

I would include BC in to that. With the launch of WOTLK we got the loss of CC, AOE grinding. LFG xserver, phasing, account gear, nerf to outdoor content, the list goes on.  Who ever made these choices I would fire and never ever give them a job in the industry again.

My vote goes No they will cave in to the masses and bring us candy land deluxe.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    Originally posted by Roin
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    Games like GW2 and Tera are hilarious, it takes people a few days to hit the cap.  In EQ very few people raced to max level, it was going to take months anyway, so you might as well do it at your own pace and enjoy the game.

Comment makes me doubt you actually played EQ. EQ was all about 1) Getting to 50. 2) Collecting those rares like FBSS, SMR, GEB, Yak, SC, etc. Oh and 3 which was the most important. Raising Alcohol Tolerance. image

I played EQ for about 11 years, and still do. EQ might have been about only for loot for you, for me it was about the community.

I never liked loot hos in EQ either.

Was just kidding around didn't mean any harm.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

We are in a new golden era of online gaming. It's just not happening in the MMO space.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    If it's a AAA sandbox that's worth playing, then it will have met my expectations.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Does anyone recall any other true AAA titles (im not talking about games that have 1+ year open betas) that launched f2p? I can't see a cash shop with exp potions and quicker upgrades of skills/crafting whatever being good for a game launch. Anyone with any competitive notion playing will be highly pressured to spend $$ just to keep up. 
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by DancingQueen

I have spoken with a lot of older gamers and I have found out that there probably was a golden era of online gaming from the launch of Ultima Online and it seems to have ended with the launch of World of Warcraft.

So what do you older gamers think... will EQN bring back the golden days of online gaming?

I think that is an extremely premature speculation.

I'm an older gamer, and I have been with the EQ franchise for ~12 years.  While I am hopeful EQN will be a really good game, I am also painfully realistic about SOE and Dave Georgeson's gaming vision at this point in time. 

Let's wait until it's out of the gate before we usher in the chorus on angels on this.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

This thread has been made for every single MMO since 2005.

I can still remember "Dark&Light will herald a new era of MMO´s".....

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Don't you think, just maybe, we should at least see a screenshot first?

Joined - July 2004

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Don't you think, just maybe, we should at least see a screenshot first?

But that's when the complaining starts. This is pre-reveal time, when the game is the new Messiah.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    For me, possibly. For most people, probably not.
  • tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128

i smell UBBER-HYPE

earth will shake when you log into the beta