Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crytek wants a Linux Programmer

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

That's right folks, Valve isn't the only company trying to get things going on Linux before Microsoft locks down their software ecosystem.

http://www.crytek.com/career/offers/overview/frankfurt/programming-engineering/linux-programmer

Nice.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by lizardbones
    That's right folks, Valve isn't the only company trying to get things going on Linux before Microsoft locks down their software ecosystem.

http://www.crytek.com/career/offers/overview/frankfurt/programming-engineering/linux-programmer

Nice.

Personally i think they would see a whole lot of backlash from that community because:

1. They usually want the source.
    2. They usually want software free.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Nitth

Nice.

Personally i think they would see a whole lot of backlash from that community because:

A backlash because Crytek didn't give Crysis away for free? No.

The question is whether or not they could sell enough copies of the game to Linux gamers to make it worth their time. Right now, I'd say probably not. But in the future when Microsoft decides to lock down Windows the same way they want to lock down the XB1 in order to drive sales rather than innovation, it might be well worth their time. Especially for users who only really game on their PCs.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Originally posted by Nitth

Nice.

A backlash because Crytek didn't give Crysis away for free? No.

The question is whether or not they could sell enough copies of the game to Linux gamers to make it worth their time. Right now, I'd say probably not. But in the future when Microsoft decides to lock down Windows the same way they want to lock down the XB1 in order to drive sales rather than innovation, it might be well worth their time. Especially for users who only really game on their PCs.

XB1 is not locked down, your info is old

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Nitth Originally posted by lizardbones That's right folks, Valve isn't the only company trying to get things going on Linux before Microsoft locks down their software ecosystem. http://www.crytek.com/career/offers/overview/frankfurt/programming-engineering/linux-programmer Nice.
      Personally i think they would see a whole lot of backlash from that community because: 1. They usually want the source. 2. They usually want software free.
    A backlash because Crytek didn't give Crysis away for free? No. The question is whether or not they could sell enough copies of the game to Linux gamers to make it worth their time. Right now, I'd say probably not. But in the future when Microsoft decides to lock down Windows the same way they want to lock down the XB1 in order to drive sales rather than innovation, it might be well worth their time. Especially for users who only really game on their PCs.  
    XB1 is not locked down, your info is old

Compared to developing for Windows or Linux, it's locked down. All updates go through Microsoft and all software delivery go through known channels. Microsoft has good reasons for this, but it's locked down. Especially compared to developing for Windows and Linux right now. That's not bad. What's bad is Microsoft is using the locked down nature of the system to gouge developers for money. It costs $20,000 for any and every update to released game. Developers must also have a contract with a publisher, whatever Microsoft considers a publisher. Of course, Microsoft will act as a publisher for developers, for a fee.

It's pretty locked down.