Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Groupfinder

2»

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Trying to talk about a /lfg tool (which several games have done successfully). Not a Dungeon Finder?

http://gw2lfg.com/  That'll work. Build it into the UI please. As many searchable flags as you can manage.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by observer
    By typing "LFG ...",  how does this exactly enhance socialization to you? 

The same way it feels to pick up the phone and make a query to a company, but get answered by a machine.

I would much rather talk to a person that way i can be more specific with my query, and also get a dynamic response.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    It's a themepark mmo so there is little social interaction and players need their hand held and to be guided where to go. So yes gw2 does need a group finder because players are not capable of doing things themselves.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    yammer yammer themepark yammer condescending yammer

Thanks for the recorded message.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The one thing still realy missing is an ingame groupfinder for the Instanced group stuff, cant be that hard to add one can it?

And dont give me this bullshit that it does not fit in the design strategy, because if there is one single game where it would fit, its GW2.  

To automatically match people up for dungeons so we could mindlessly grind like you do in WoW? 

HELL NO! 

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by BatCakez

The one thing still realy missing is an ingame groupfinder for the Instanced group stuff, cant be that hard to add one can it?

And dont give me this bullshit that it does not fit in the design strategy, because if there is one single game where it would fit, its GW2.  

Here's a reason for you.

It ruins the social aspect. You know 'LF?' in chat, and meeting people through groups. Yeah, that. Also, GW2 isn't WoW, so they don't need to implement the same feature.

Spamming LF THINGS in chat isn't social, its actually quite the opposite. It ruins any real chat that could have happened in the major city.

Considering you don't even need specific roles for dungeons, there is no reason not to have an auto-group function.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Ikonis

Here's a reason for you.

It ruins the social aspect. You know 'LF?' in chat, and meeting people through groups. Yeah, that. Also, GW2 isn't WoW, so they don't need to implement the same feature.

Social aspect? Oh you mean LFG must have Berzerker gear! , then rush the instance never once speaking to anyone in the group? Is that what we call social in GW2?

You get that in EVERY MMO not just GW2, Ikonis. Please don't select out GW2, for this honor, as I saw in Rift, and others MMO's as well.

Originally posted by evilastro

Here's a reason for you.

Spamming LF THINGS in chat isn't social, its actually quite the opposite. It ruins any real chat that could have happened in the major city.

Considering you don't even need specific roles for dungeons, there is no reason not to have an auto-group function.

Whoever spams in major city is usually an asshat anyway. I also hate using gw2lfg tool because everyone that has come from there felt like a bot. Poor or non-existent English,  and even if they seemingly know it, they just choose not to speak and this bugs me a lot. I usually make a clown of myself just so we could have fun and they don't put up even a smile. 

I don't have problem explaining dungeon mechanics on each run I do on every dungeon I do,  but I hate to play with people that do not talk at all inside a dungeon. I don't know how many times i've explained taking down Lupicus to first timers and it was AMAZING because those guys did not have self-esteem from Earth to the Moon and beyond. No, they were fun and they were sincere and I enjoyed doing the dungeon with them. I'm strong enough to solo Lupicus so I didn't care who I play with I just wanted to have fun with other people and it worked. 

Gathering me automatically with other asshats that just sit all day "in the queue" is a huge NO-NO for me. 

A better option, to the OP, would be to join a PvE guild beside your guild (if you already are in one). Guild Wars 2 gives you the option to multi guild. I have main guild, for WvW and missions, my own guild for extended bank space and a PvE guild with really nice people whom I run dungeons and world events with whenever I choose.

Its awesome, try it! 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

No, adding one isn't hard, and yes Anet is currently working on one.

That said...

I think it's fairly hard to deny how harmful group finders have been in MMOs. While very convenient, you can see a pretty direct correlation between LFG tools and a lack of community. Considering how much Anet wants GW2 to have (and keep) a solid community base, they are very wary of implement a run of the mill LFG tool.

There is gw2lfg.com for people who can't find a group, but I don't think adding a LFG tool like WoW (and many other games) have is going to do the game any favors. Every time a game implements a LFG tool it turns into a lobby game, because it removes any incentives to travel / explore / community with the community, since you can just press a button and not have to interact to do the 'harder' content.

Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Ikonis

Here's a reason for you.

Social aspect? Oh you mean LFG must have Berzerker gear! , then rush the instance never once speaking to anyone in the group? Is that what we call social in GW2?

You get that in EVERY MMO not just GW2, Ikonis. Please don't select out GW2, for this honor, as I saw in Rift, and others MMO's as well.

The point he is making is that GW2 isn't a special snowflake that is super social and doesn't need a LFD tool. I don't understand people who argue against giving people more tools so they can enjoy the game the way they want to, no one forces you to use them, you can still group the old fashioned way.

Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

Here's a reason for you.

Whoever spams in major city is usually an asshat anyway. I also hate using gw2lfg tool because everyone that has come from there felt like a bot. Poor or non-existent English,  and even if they seemingly know it, they just choose not to speak and this bugs me a lot. I usually make a clown of myself just so we could have fun and they don't put up even a smile. 

I don't have problem explaining dungeon mechanics on each run I do on every dungeon I do,  but I hate to play with people that do not talk at all inside a dungeon. I don't know how many times i've explained taking down Lupicus to first timers and it was AMAZING because those guys did not have self-esteem from Earth to the Moon and beyond. No, they were fun and they were sincere and I enjoyed doing the dungeon with them. I'm strong enough to solo Lupicus so I didn't care who I play with I just wanted to have fun with other people and it worked. 

Gathering me automatically with other asshats that just sit all day "in the queue" is a huge NO-NO for me. 

A better option, to the OP, would be to join a PvE guild beside your guild (if you already are in one). Guild Wars 2 gives you the option to multi guild. I have main guild, for WvW and missions, my own guild for extended bank space and a PvE guild with really nice people whom I run dungeons and world events with whenever I choose.

Its awesome, try it! 

So you have an active guild who enjoys PvE, that's great, you don't need the LFD tool, but why deny it for other players who would use it?  Out of spite?  All it will do is cause the game you enjoy to die faster because players get frustrated with the spam and using external tools to get groups. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Here's a reason for you.

Its awesome, try it! 

Agree 100% on the PvE guild suggestion.

If you're grouping with people that don't talk in dungeons, that's probably a big part of why you're getting so many terrible players from gw2lfg.com. I've found that, above all else, having people that don't say / type anything in a group cause problems 9/10 times.

LFG tools just amplify that issue, as they tend to just throw people into groups without any social interaction at all. Without LFG, there is a lot more incentive to be social, beyond simply a 'LFG for X' in chat. For one, people are more likely to check if people are good to party with before entering, as it takes effort to try and actively look for players. With LFG, people just drop (often without saying a word) and Re-Que if they don't like the way things are going. I'm sure we've all seen this behavior, and it's very common to games specifically with LFG tools.

Here's a reason for you.

Its awesome, try it! 

So you have an active guild who enjoys PvE, that's great, you don't need the LFD tool, but why deny it for other players who would use it?  Out of spite?  All it will do is cause the game you enjoy to die faster because players get frustrated with the spam and using external tools to get groups. 

Just be social and find a PvE guild dude. It took me some time to find that PvE guild. Some of the guilds are joined were full of assholes. Don't give up the first time you find bad guild. I'm not talking out of spite. LFG tools usually destroy the community you can already see it on gw2lfg. Looking for distinct classes with distinct gear. This is not cool. I've done Arah naked for the lulz. Sure took few hours more, but it was hilarious. But hey ... no repair bill if you die naked, big deal :P 

We even tried WvW naked once ... wasn't so much fun x.x