Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm desperately trying to find appealing MMORPG, but it's not working for me...

2»

Comments

• cydoneqcydoneq Member UncommonPosts: 66
    i would say Age of Wushu is your game :).

• SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock
    Try Vanguard.  It sounds like you enjoy Sandbox games and though Vanguard isn't really a sandbox, you have multiple paths of leveling through Crafting, Diplomacy, and Adventuring and there is no shortage of things to do.  Helpful community as well.  The game has much more depth than games like Wow, Rift, etc.  With that said there is no Player vs Player content but a massive world.

"much more dept"

"has no pvp"

How to contradict yourself completely in 1 line of text.

Either way op I am in the same situation, the only game I havent tried (as of recent mmo's)  is age of wushu so I'm afraid I cannot help you. But if you find the end all answer to it please post it here:3

• Ocalypse0Ocalypse0 Member UncommonPosts: 19

After quitting WoW recently I found myself in your shoes, OP.

I was bored one day and decided to give The Secret World another go since it is now F2P. Lo and behold; I was absolutely floored by how amazing it was.

Not only was it totally customizeable to how you want to build you character, you can change your characters entire build on the go! I was not used to such a wonderful feature.

I'm a firefighter out in the real world, so I work a rather wonky rotating schedule and found myself playing solo quite often and it was fantastic. The game still feels immersive, challenging and rewarding. Plus, the crafting system allows me to continually create and upgrade my gear so I feel progression.

I have not noticed any exploiting or cheating in the game in any way, and (though this may be naive) I believe that Funcom cares enough about the game to keep it exploit free and fun for all.

TSW is only about 30 dollars now and there is no subscripton fee. Different strokes for different folks, but perhaps the game can be the same breath of fresh air for you as it was to me.

All the best and happy hunting,

-Ocalypse

Warrior/Druid - Level 90/90 - World of Warcraft
    GLD Level 27 - CNJ Level 15 - Final Fantasy XIV: ARR
    Jedi Guardian/Republic Gunslinger - Level 50/50 - SW:TOR
    Cleric - Level 48 - RIFT
    Illuminati - QL6 - The Secret World
    Trickster Rogue - Level 50 - Neverwinter
    Summoner Level 30 - League of Legends
    EGO Rating 363 - Defiance

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Sacria
    Try Vanguard.  It sounds like you enjoy Sandbox games and though Vanguard isn't really a sandbox, you have multiple paths of leveling through Crafting, Diplomacy, and Adventuring and there is no shortage of things to do.  Helpful community as well.  The game has much more depth than games like Wow, Rift, etc.  With that said there is no Player vs Player content but a massive world.

"much more dept"

"has no pvp"

Either way op I am in the same situation, the only game I havent tried (as of recent mmo's)  is age of wushu so I'm afraid I cannot help you. But if you find the end all answer to it please post it here:3

how to prove fundamentalism isnt just a religious phenomenon in 3 lines of text.

as for TSW the storyline is the best written in an mmo that i have seen, w/o exception. but ya combat can make you want to take a nap. lots of kiting which could have been changed by making the combat more interactive with ducking, cover, etc. (there is a double flip dodge you can use on a timer btw.)

Vanguard has an epic world that i have not seen beaten yet. fully open, open world dungeons everywhere, a wide range of interesting classes, and a multitude of races. however, you may have trouble finding people to group with if you dont join a guild.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• rpgamer13rpgamer13 Member UncommonPosts: 73

wurm oniine   http://wurmonline.com/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/ 

trailer vid

check the  http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Skills     for crafting skills. 

the game is not a 1-4 week get to max level.  it takes months even yrs. to get a lot of skills high.  but even as  a free player limited to 20 out of 99 skill levels.  you can make almost every thing in the game and have a ton of fun.

monthly cost if you choose to prem is 8eu per month  $10.50us   and after one month of paying you can pay for monthly prem in game for 10 silver.  which you can make from other players. doing jobs. like mining. making planks, nails, bricks, ect..

many of us play for free with in game money.

the game is all about crafting. land terraforming, owning land. farming, mining though mountains. sailing.  you can hunt or get hunted if not careful.  can be hard to learn at first. but if you join a village and level up skills first before you adventure on your own. you'll do better.   Or adventure on your own and try to survive.

huge good community too.

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

Not a MMO, but it'll keep you entertained for a long time if you have patience. Right now there's a summer offer in Steam with a 75% discount (4 euros)

Check some videos about X3 Terran Conflict (sandbox, really complex, but also many things for you to do)

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by Kopogero

I love all around AAA MMORPG's but it seems like that's not possible anymore. What's worst is how all the things I look for in a MMORPG' are missing.

#1 Being able to become powerful or choose my own, distinguishing path (role) in a MMO Role PG.

#2 MMORPG is not overun by exploiters. abusers or any activety where players obtain things that the game has not intended them to obtain and even if they do at least I want to see swift, harsh actions being taken by the company.

#3 Being able to progress my single character in some beneficial way, regardless if I choose to play the game in the morning, afternoon, any day of the week. I want to have meaningful things to do to keep me entertained, without being forced to depend on others. I love being part of a big, multiplayer world, but one that allows the freedom for a player to become something more, given the set of skills, gear etc.

Ultima Online and SWG, both of these MMORPG's in the past have given me an epic, meaningul and truly immersive experience. It looks like most likely I'll be going back to WOW soon. I will have a limited experience, but I still believe is the best option until something else comes later this year...

It's this same line of thought that has actually destroyed MMO's over the years. What's the point of playing in a multiplayer world if all you want is a single player game? But congratulations, the powers that be have catered to your way of thought and have made it so you feel special right out of the box. You can solo everything, even dungeons and some raid content without ever having to team up with anyone else. You can get to endgame in a week or less playing CASUALLY (i.e. RIFT). And SWG is actually a bad example for you not having to depend on others, someone built your swoop, tamed your mount, made your armor, etc... Though, I suppose you could have spent all of your time dropping skills and regrinding or using alts to supply yourself as was the case with quite a few people... but still, why are you even bothering to play a multiplayer game?

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by loopback1199
    Originally posted by Kopogero

I love all around AAA MMORPG's but it seems like that's not possible anymore. What's worst is how all the things I look for in a MMORPG' are missing.

#1 Being able to become powerful or choose my own, distinguishing path (role) in a MMO Role PG.

#2 MMORPG is not overun by exploiters. abusers or any activety where players obtain things that the game has not intended them to obtain and even if they do at least I want to see swift, harsh actions being taken by the company.

#3 Being able to progress my single character in some beneficial way, regardless if I choose to play the game in the morning, afternoon, any day of the week. I want to have meaningful things to do to keep me entertained, without being forced to depend on others. I love being part of a big, multiplayer world, but one that allows the freedom for a player to become something more, given the set of skills, gear etc.

Ultima Online and SWG, both of these MMORPG's in the past have given me an epic, meaningul and truly immersive experience. It looks like most likely I'll be going back to WOW soon. I will have a limited experience, but I still believe is the best option until something else comes later this year...

It's this same line of thought that has actually destroyed MMO's over the years. What's the point of playing in a multiplayer world if all you want is a single player game? But congratulations, the powers that be have catered to your way of thought and have made it so you feel special right out of the box. You can solo everything, even dungeons and some raid content without ever having to team up with anyone else. You can get to endgame in a week or less playing CASUALLY (i.e. RIFT). And SWG is actually a bad example for you not having to depend on others, someone built your swoop, tamed your mount, made your armor, etc... Though, I suppose you could have spent all of your time dropping skills and regrinding or using alts to supply yourself as was the case with quite a few people... but still, why are you even bothering to play a multiplayer game?

You clearly do not understand what "without being forced to depend on others" means, but I'll gladly enlighten you. Real life for example, given the set of skills, abilities and willingness a man can accomplish far more by himself than with the current rules set in todays MMORPG's.

The point of being part of a multiplayer world is not just to socialize and do things with others. I deserve the right to distinguish myself from the rest with my character and role. I deserve the right to impact the community, the world and those around me with my actions. MMORPG's who imply unrealistic rules like being forced to depend on others to get things done are the linear and limiting to the freedom of what the player can accomplish and what role he can choose.

All those examples you put with SWG, yes all choose different roles like me, some were crafters, some were tamers, but they didn't hang over the stuff to me for free.

Yes I SHOULD be allowed to SOLO everything as real life allows it. We've seen numerous examples of the past where one person impacted many millions of lives in good or bad ways through history, but regardless one person should have that chance, that opportunity.

And the line of thought that actually destroyed MMORPG's is the fact that everyone want to be great or god in a MMORPG without putting the effort and using abilities. Bizillion of macros and excuses "I cannot be on much due to IRL stuff so make the game more CASUAL" is what destroyed MMORPG's.

Players need to learn once and for all that MMORPG's just like life there is always someone that will be above you and you should be prepared to serve and work for him to climb the ranks. SWG-Pre CU allowed me to be a light jedi knight, which wasn't easy at all to accomplsih, but the harder the goal the greater the pleasure it is of accomplishing it and when I did everyone in the galaxy Rebels and Empire bounty hunters were tracking me down with their covert buddies for that great bounty I had on the terminals.

I was creating the content, I was that BOSS, that PvE thing that players were trying to kill and loot. I was hiring others to scout for rare, unknown and very difficult creatures for me across planets so I could defeat them to complete those jedi knight trials. I was the one in charge for leading a Rebel assault on Naboo, cuz Rebels knew with my presense things would be much easier. That just shows how great a MMORPG can be if it allows a player generated content and conflicts than RULES and RULES that force and limit the players to be nothing more than clones of each other and wait for developers to deliver more PvE content to raid when their friends get on after they did their homework and watched those youtube strats.

I knew how frustrating it was to be on a diminishing server with bleeding population and being forced to be part of some average joe, mediocre raiding guild that happen to need my class/role. No matter how consistent and skilled I was I could still only do 10% difference in a 10 man raid environment. The feeling of being useful, needed and appreciated was great, but depending on others who were either late, not avaliable or randomly leaving the game/guild just made me dislike depending on others and if I can do something I would always prefer it SOLO.

• SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by aspekx

"much more dept"

"has no pvp"

how to prove fundamentalism isnt just a religious phenomenon in 3 lines of text.

That's hillarious. A game cannot be deeper if it lacks half of what normal mmorpgs have. Even if it had the best crafting the best pve, the best social interface, the best ui, the best housing, the best story, etc etc etc. It still would never ever be as deep as a game which includes pvp. You should probably stop talking.

• aryabaaryaba Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by aspekx

"much more dept"

"has no pvp"

That's hillarious. A game cannot be deeper if it lacks half of what normal mmorpgs have. Even if it had the best crafting the best pve, the best social interface, the best ui, the best housing, the best story, etc etc etc. It still would never ever be as deep as a game which includes pvp. You should probably stop talking.

Yup, you suffer from fundamentalism.  PVP is hardly even 10% of a game.

• SpunkyKittenSpunkyKitten Member Posts: 2

EQNext will probably be your best bet. I'd keep watch of that one. Someone said it wouldnt be out before 2015 but uh this site and others say 2013. I'd expect it later this year or early next year probably. I, personally, and super excited to see what they do with that game as an 8 year SWG vet. We'll see what the deal with that one is in 2 weeks with their reveal. :)

As for right now, EQ2 is what is coming the closest to scratching my SWG itch. There are a lot of differences and it is a whole new world/different system but I find it a lot of fun. Although it is a "themepark" type of game it highly caters to us more casual players who like to group etc when we can but also like to be able to do things solo. You can solo a lot of the content including dungeons as you level. You can advance as fast or slow as you want. There is a complex crafting system, amazing housing system, amazing guild features, and so much side content etc (like their diety system and more) that it is hard to get bored. There is plenty to do and tons of zones to explore. I dont think I have seen 1/10th of their zones yet in a 4-5 months I have played. But then again I am in no rush. Im just enjoying playing on a more casual level. :)

Since it can be played F2P it is worth trying out. I have to admit that I am glad I opened my mind a little and gave it a shot because I have been nothing but pleasantly surprised with the game all the way around. I liked it so much I am a gold member now and have all the expansions lol.

Good luck!