Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Veteran - Burned out?

FelverickFelverick Member Posts: 5

Hey guys,

I've been playing MMOs for what feels like most of my life. It's always been my go-to when it comes to gaming. I've been in almost every beta test and played pretty much every MMO on the market and I'm finding nothing is capturing my attention lately. I'm really starved for a game I can get immersed in. Does anyone have recommendations of a game or two I should try? At this point I'd give a crack at almost anything. 

More recently I've played Tera and Raiderz which I had fun with both but the bland characters and basic questing systems caused my interest to dither out. 

Comments

• WorrynotWorrynot Member Posts: 14

It seems a lot of veterans are burning out (i did). The genre has just come to a standstill and there's nothing new that can compare to -insert game here- (nostalgia-based).

I've also rationalized away a lot of the reasons for playing MMORPGs. The main one being that I've found it far more rewarding to practice a skill in the real world than have a virtual representative gain +stats through mindless grinding.

When I play videogames now I focus on ones that at least train my eye-hand coordination. I'm convinced my years of FPS gaming has saved my life at least twice in traffic. I also dabble in strategy games, as thinking strategically also benefits me to some degree irl.

I find mmorpg's largely unethical, as they play on your actual dopamine system when you gain pixels; leading you to want more pixels as if they were a real thing that enriched your real life -- which isn't the case (although some think so. See; videogame Addiction).

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108

Same boat here. I am focusing more on non MMO games for a while but am keeping an eye out for something different from the slew of games that have similar core mechanics. 

Good luck on your search!

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

I'm not much different and I feel your pain. In my case I am a shift worker and I'm always up at odd hours, back in the day having a good MMO was great! I could play something and feel like I've accomplished something and let the awkward hours I need to be awake fly by. The last few years though, it's been a drag, all that's been keeping me sane is diving into strategy games, running a half dozen mods if not more to make it fresh and exciting.

I'm holding out and hoping for a big surprise when it comes to EQN...but we are really feeling a huge pinch when it comes to quality gaming.

• benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Yeah current market sucks and don't see anything interesting comming out soon. Just more of the same themepark crap I've seen in the last years.

Games I think might be refreshing and new are The Repopulation, Black Desert, Pathfinder Online, Gloria Victis, World of Darkness.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by benseine
    Yeah current market sucks and don't see anything interesting comming out soon. Just more of the same themepark crap I've seen in the last years. Games I think might be refreshing and new are The Repopulation, Black Desert, Pathfinder Online, Gloria Victis, World of Darkness.

i believe none of those have launched and most of them dont even have date or enough info so i guess those dont even count as suggestion.

• benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Originally posted by benseine
    Yeah current market sucks and don't see anything interesting comming out soon. Just more of the same themepark crap I've seen in the last years. Games I think might be refreshing and new are The Repopulation, Black Desert, Pathfinder Online, Gloria Victis, World of Darkness.

i believe none of those have launched and most of them dont even have date or enough info so i guess those dont even count as suggestion.

The market now sucks, upcomming releases seem to be more of the same crap so I start looking what is further up the pipeline. And why can't I suggest any of those games? You don't make sence.
  • A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276

defo burned out...

no game seems to get me intrested for more than 2days at the moment well i say moment, within the last year or 2 to be honest

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(

• Ocalypse0Ocalypse0 Member UncommonPosts: 19

I know the feeling, trust me!

The only MMO that has dragged me out of said slump has been The Secret World. 

Not only is it quite a different feel of a game, I have been able to play it as a single player game (solo) and still find it quite enjoyable and rewarding. 

Might be worth a shot. Worked for me.

Warrior/Druid - Level 90/90 - World of Warcraft
    GLD Level 27 - CNJ Level 15 - Final Fantasy XIV: ARR
    Jedi Guardian/Republic Gunslinger - Level 50/50 - SW:TOR
    Cleric - Level 48 - RIFT
    Illuminati - QL6 - The Secret World
    Trickster Rogue - Level 50 - Neverwinter
    Summoner Level 30 - League of Legends
    EGO Rating 363 - Defiance

• cydoneqcydoneq Member UncommonPosts: 66

try entropia universe.

its kinda working for me :)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I find that I burn out on certain types of MMOs more than the genre itself.....I usually play the off the beaten path games at that point and then enjoy it again......Right now those games are War Thunder and The Hunter....Then when a new fantasy title comes out (most likely EQ Next) I'll be charged up to play for a bit again.
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Been burned out for a while and nothing on the horizon has me that interested, either. I log into GW2 to do the events but that rarely takes more than a couple of days, afterward I don't play anything online. I ended up getting a side gig reviewing games and every time I see an online RPG I kind of groan. I guess my tastes have changed.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

If you consider yourself an MMO veteran, you owe it to yourself to check out Vendetta Online; it's been out since 2002, and in development since 1998... launched during the 'pre WoW' era, and one of the few examples of a twitch-combat MMORPG released during that time.  I've found it to be an engaging experience for over a decade.

The community is small, but very tight-knight and helpful; it's easy to build a name for yourself in whatever way you choose to play.

There is open-world PvP with layered protection (Guarded, Monitored, Unmonitored) and dynamically conquerable content, so there are some politics that go on over time.  Miners and Crafters are also welcome, as there is an item (the Trident Type-M) that would require a single player over a year to build and uses recursive material input designs (to get C you need some B each of which uses some A, etc...)

Whether or not MMORPGs are "unethical" is something I think each person should answer for his or herself... addiction tends to be a self-diagnosed disease, and although I've had to watch my behavior in the past (edit: and I still do), I've found my quality of life has been generally improved by playing VO.

(I know it's helped some other people out, too)

/2c

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance