Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop denying the terrible, persistant lag

They haven't been able to fix it since the original launch, and now theyre a month away from launch #2 without any improvements. Don't let fanboys fool you when they say they "notice nothing", because its a load of bs. Videos have been posted a million times over, but they always get taken down. Luckily images are no longer against the NDA, so anyone on the fence can finally see the truth.

Example #1:http://members.optusnet.com.au/psyk1/FFXIV.gif

Running out then running back in to emphasize the point in reverse. Lag is equal opportunity!: http://i.imgur.com/oQ8Ziv3.gif

Lag on things as simple as fall damage: http://i.imgflip.com/2f02j.gif

Where did these come from? The 100 page thread on the beta forum located here, which is where they also coincidentally confirm that .gifs are NOT against the NDA: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/48641-Let-s-draw-SEs-attention-to-this-problem-lack-of-responsiveness

How anyone can hype this garbage is beyond my comprehension.

Comments

• VanazzulVanazzul Member Posts: 11

Wait... you are complaining about lag in a beta?

I wish wow had no lag back in beta. Hell I wish wow had no lag in all of vanilla.

• IncandelaIncandela Member Posts: 8

I complained about lag in the beta in 2010 for this game. Now I'm complaining about lag right before its second launch, because they are incapable of coding a game without it. In fact, here's them explaining the problem in 2011 in case you can't wrap your head around what is happening (which I also found in the above beta thread, testers): http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/21655-The-single-biggest-issue-holding-back-FFXIV-needs-to-be-specifically-addressed.?p=316878&viewfull=1#post316878

It's not going away.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Because I think you should have your choice of flavors, Senator Palpatine :-)

I guess I just don't see what yer posting about as a big problem. I mean, if two minutes after I fell of the cliff, I suddenly took damage...I could see your point. But it was like a half a second.  I guess the delays can bother some but I don't really remember it getting me killed...which would make it a deal breaker for me.

i guess you could argue its immersion-breaking...but then so is the controller in my hand or me crouched in front of my laptop. I guess different people champion different causes...just try not to be so mad about it.

the best news is you aren't ever required to Sub the game mate. You don't even have to read  about it, if it bothers you. Consumer freedom is great, isn't it?

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by Vanazzul

Wait... you are complaining about lag in a beta?

I wish wow had no lag back in beta. Hell I wish wow had no lag in all of vanilla.

I love how you totally just blamed that on WoW and not on the bandwidth that we had to put up with a decade ago.

Why don't you compare FF:XIV to MMOs which aren't incredibly old and see if the result doesn't bother you.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Lag can do that on any game, your .gifs are not applicable to everyone unless we are to beleive you are in Montreal or Tokyo and have a perfect connection.  I can lag myself out and get far worse results.  I have no problem avoiding eruption or other enemy skills.

I'm not saying it is not a problem that can't be addressed, but this terrible persistent lag isn't preventing all people from playing the game properly.

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by spankybus

I guess I just don't see what yer posting about as a big problem. I mean, if two minutes after I fell of the cliff, I suddenly took damage...I could see your point. But it was like a half a second.  I guess the delays can bother some but I don't really remember it getting me killed...which would make it a deal breaker for me.

i guess you could argue its immersion-breaking...but then so is the controller in my hand or me crouched in front of my laptop. I guess different people champion different causes...just try not to be so mad about it.

the best news is you aren't ever required to Sub the game mate. You don't even have to read  about it, if it bothers you. Consumer freedom is great, isn't it?

Haha, betcha just skipped right past the first two gifs, didn't you?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Incandela

I complained about lag in the beta in 2010 for this game. Now I'm complaining about lag right before its second launch, because they are incapable of coding a game without it. In fact, here's them explaining the problem in 2011 in case you can't wrap your head around what is happening (which I also found in the above beta thread, testers): http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/21655-The-single-biggest-issue-holding-back-FFXIV-needs-to-be-specifically-addressed.?p=316878&viewfull=1#post316878

It's not going away.

Well, youre talking about history here..

I had absolutely no lag this weekend, and i am not a fanboy.  If there is lag, its not server or client based and probably related to a bad router or ISP.  No noticable lag for me.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    If that's real ... that could be more than just lag o.O.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I wouldn't constitute what the OP is saying as 'Haterade' if what he's saying is true. In an MMO, any type of ability or combat delay is a big deal. If there is a constant lag for triggering abilities or effects, it will change how you play and hurt the game immensely. Again, this is all assuming what the OP is saying is true - that it's something that's been there since pre 1.0 - to me, this is a big deal and deserves to be discussed. 

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    That does look pretty bad especially with how little is going on on the screen. Most annoying part of lag is everyone blaming every death on it lol. First I've seen of this but I haven't played it for myself to confirm. Would think more of a stink would be raised by this, hmmmm.
    Originally posted by Dihoru

It is. Its an inherent flaw in their game design. The servers don't update locations promptly, which is why everybody rubberbands and moonwalks when you watch them move around (models constantly have to "catch up" to where they actually are). The technical reasons are in the 3rd post of the thread, from the horses mouth itself.

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794

I think the issue is with hes bandwidth not the game, i played the beta 1,2,3 A LOT and never had any lag (and i play from europe). No one in my community had such problems either. And the servers are stationed in Canada.

so unless you play from moon, i would contact your ISP and check if they are not lowering priority for FF14 packages. Something like this happen to me in few mmos in the past, had to call my ISP and give it a piece of my mind.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Dihoru

It is. Its an inherent flaw in their game design. The servers don't update locations promptly, which is why everybody rubberbands and moonwalks when you watch them move around (models constantly have to "catch up" to where they actually are). The technical reasons are in the 3rd post of the thread, from the horses mouth itself.

I really haven't seen any of that in any of the betas and I've been in all three.  Sorry that it's happening to you but I don't believe it is a problem for everyone.

• AtlasprimeAtlasprime Member Posts: 61
    Seems fine to me. I enjoyed beta with at the most an afterthought of some lag. Definently nothing to warrant the intensity of the OP.
    Originally posted by Khebeln

I think the issue is with hes bandwidth not the game, i played the beta 1,2,3 A LOT and never had any lag (and i play from europe). No one in my community had such problems either. And the servers are stationed in Canada.

so unless you play from moon, i would contact your ISP and check if they are not lowering priority for FF14 packages. Something like this happen to me in few mmos in the past, had to call my ISP and give it a piece of my mind.

Are you under the impression those are my images? They're not. In case you can't tell, their from three different people. Here's another one focused on the Ifrit fight: http://efryes-lair.net/other/xiv/ifrit-cracks.gif

Since you're a tester, maybe go ahead and gander the 100 page thread on the beta forums I linked. Same goes for everyone else who thinks this is somehow my problem and that their game is perfect.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Let me say im not a fan of the game what so ever, but i never experienced any of these issues to any of their servers it be the EU/US/JP ones... Not sure what you are trying to achieve with your crusade?

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178

Are you under the impression those are my images? They're not. In case you can't tell, their from three different people. Here's another one focused on the Ifrit fight: http://efryes-lair.net/other/xiv/ifrit-cracks.gif

Since you're a tester, maybe go ahead and gander the 100 page thread on the beta forums I linked. Same goes for everyone else who thinks this is somehow my problem and that their game is perfect.

Ok, what I see there is a small bit of lag that could be a) The game b) someplace inbetween you and the server c) Your crappy connect d)Your crappy computer/PS3....

I've been in the whole phase 3 beta...I will say the falling thing I've seen, but wow, half a second then I say 'ow' no big deal. The only time I've see anything close to the above, is in large fights where there is effects all over the place and I'm trying to tank something. Mind you I am playing on a PS3 and it's wireless.

If you want to remove the problem I would suggest a T1+ or have then install a backbone in your house, that way you wont have lag :)

• grhuffgrhuff Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I'm in the beta and have not experienced this issue.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

This is definetely something i've run into, and I find it happens very much more in the 'open world' than in dungeons, but does still happen in dungeons as well, in my experience. The level 20 ifrit fight for me became more of a 'waiting for the AOE to pop', rather than enjoying the content and 'ut oh'ing my way from the AOE once i saw it. I died many times from the AOE lag, before i learned its pattern and would just preempt the pattern by staying clear of where I knew the aoe's would pop. This is not a 'learn to play' issue, the AOE's still hit you even when you clear them a few seconds before they boom.

And it's much worse in open world scenarios, as seen in the GIF's.

Yes, it is beta, but that does not excuse the lag. It is a problem Right Now, and that's what beta's are for, to find problems like this. Will it be better for launch? Hopefully. But sweeping it under the rug with 'oh noes lag in beta' nonsense is silly. It's there.

Yes, i will still be subbing for at least a month to see what the endgame has to offer for my Paladin. I hope they hook me further than they have!

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Milander

Ok, what I see there is a small bit of lag that could be a) The game b) someplace inbetween you and the server c) Your crappy connect d)Your crappy computer/PS3....

I've been in the whole phase 3 beta...I will say the falling thing I've seen, but wow, half a second then I say 'ow' no big deal. The only time I've see anything close to the above, is in large fights where there is effects all over the place and I'm trying to tank something. Mind you I am playing on a PS3 and it's wireless.

If you want to remove the problem I would suggest a T1+ or have then install a backbone in your house, that way you wont have lag :)

Not taking sides here, but he did stay that these were not his images but were from multiple players on a thread in the beta forums.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

You are giving advice to the person who is just reposting the GIF's. Read that first line. These. Are. Not. His. They are from MULTIPLE different people, in a 100 page thread. I'm sure allllll those people confirming this must just have junk internet, right?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

You know there is a big problem when you link a page that only beta testers can view XD.  I kinda bet you know that and are going by the gifs alone and ignoring the fact that problems that have affected some beta testers, not all, are being looked into. There are some who do not experience this delay and in my case I do experience it but I know mines is more of an Isp issue since I get this with even in wow.

Is it something they can work on, of course they can. bringing out the gifs people made to report which is an issue to them, (which didnt apply to every person who tested) to claim it affects all is quite low. I can easly do the same, go into the beta forums a bring up a whole mess of bug reports take the images provided of said bugs and post them here and claim what a bad game this is.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Originally posted by Toxia

You are giving advice to the person who is just reposting the GIF's. Read that first line. These. Are. Not. His. They are from MULTIPLE different people, in a 100 page thread. I'm sure allllll those people confirming this must just have junk internet, right?

That 100 page thread also has A LOT of people stating not having the issue described.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

Not taking sides here, but he did stay that these were not his images but were from multiple players on a thread in the beta forums.

A lag is a lag. No mater how you look at it. And as long as it only affects 1 person in a group its YOUR connection. ALWAYS!

There are many ways of handling lag and syncing the game between server and client. In the past the sync was a lot more strict, and you simply where ruberbanding  all over the place, unable to move properly due to lost packages. That was 100x worse compared how this is handled today.

Now you are sync. passively, that means if you lag, your character wont ruberband like mad, or create much more game breaking situations. Instead it will have the sync of animations vs data transfered to your pc.

That means you will have what you can see on those screens. By no means its the game fault (at least not in a way you are saying it is)

Ways to fix it ? Get better connection (fixes it ALWAYS) pray they will put a server in your country so you will never lag. You cant really do it any other way. You cant put all the combat calculations on client due to the risk of hacking the data.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

I wouldn't constitute what the OP is saying as 'Haterade' if what he's saying is true. In an MMO, any type of ability or combat delay is a big deal. If there is a constant lag for triggering abilities or effects, it will change how you play and hurt the game immensely. Again, this is all assuming what the OP is saying is true - that it's something that's been there since pre 1.0 - to me, this is a big deal and deserves to be discussed. 

There is not constant lag for triggering abilities.  You press an instant ability and it is instant.  Playing monk you press your weapon skill and you start running into your next position before the animation even finishes in many cases at higher levels.

If you do not do this you will not be in position in time with a 3x Greased Lightning stack increasing your skill speed especially when positioning yourself on larger mob models.  If there were any delay in this then it would be clearly evident when playing monk, you would not receive your positional bonuses.  Yet I can parse myself and have my only non-crit Bootshine be my opener (opo-opo form+rear positioning grants a 100% critical).

This discussion has been closed.