Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

Comments

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    • Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Initially, yes.  I still have my CE Box from the first Guild Wars.  The insane player-made hype leading up to the release made me pause and do considerable research.  After the research and then trying it during (one of?) the last beta events, I decided it wasn't for me.

• Do you currently play this game?:

No.  I did not purchase GW2.  I am happy with that decision at this point.

• If no, please explain why:

I decided that this was not a game for me.   P2P, F2P, B2P ~ None of that matters to me.  If I enjoy a game I pay for the access whether it's a subscription in a P2P or a subscription in a Hybrid.  I'm certainly not against B2P, but let's be realistic here.  Many people love the fact that there is no monthly fee, yet spent as much or more (during the "FREE" month, mind you) than a subscription on gems.  I won't expand on my feelings regarding that and expansions.

• What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

Rift and TSW.  

I've been subbed with Rift since you could sub at pre-release.  It's a solid title with amazing content addition and customer support.  The soul system is amazing (especially if you build your own character and don't "copy-paste" a build).  Added with the IA and the ability to scale your level down to the exact level of your choosing, it opens up the entire world (which is about to triple in size).

TSW is a more mature title that I am having a great deal of fun in.  I've been taking it slow, so I'm probably about halfway through the release content.  At this pace it's one of the most fun online gaming experience I've had in a very long time.   Horror + Conspiracies.. yeah, I love it.  =)

• What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I don't generally post here.  I certainly don't pretend to know what GW2 gameplay is like.  I *browse* here quite often, as there's usually some great drama going on and shown in the thread box on the homepage.  But, I never actually navigate to these forums directly.  It's very entertaining to watch the complaints, and some of the more extreme-defensive players.  It's like a good TV Show (just being honest).

All of that said, I just wanted to state that I am happy for everyone that is really enjoying GW2.  Just because it's not for me doesn't mean it's not an amazing game for others.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

"Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward..."

Hi MikeB,

I see this thread is still ongoing so it's not the necro post I was afraid it might be. I returned here to see what became of this "experiment" because the purpose was never made clear.

Hopefully the responses have been useful, but are we to expect a follow-up post anytime soon, or was this exercise purely for internal use?

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Yes, it looked like an evolution of the themepark-genre and I was tired of the same-game-with-a-twist mentality of AAA MMORPG releases.

Do you currently play this game?:

No

If yes, please explain why:

-

If no, please explain why:

My interest waned over time as the game got closer to release, it no longer represents what I am looking for.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

None. I have taken a break from MMOs for two reasons: 1. I will wait for an MMO that really captures me as a player 2. I am extremely busy in real life (trying to publish and design my own games) and can't find the time to play an MMO as extensively as I would want to.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Mild interest in where the game has gone, I do this for every game I was interested in. I check in on it once in a while to see where it stands.

• alienspaalienspa Member Posts: 10

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?

Yes. Since i knew the game was not instanced like the first one.

Do you currently play this game?

No.

-

It is a fun, very polished, and I love the design. But it is so repetitive. The pve in this game is like sit on the couch and try to listen the Ramones discography. Okay, all MMO's are repetitive. But some made a better job disguising it.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?

None. I really like The Secret World and Rift. But the combat in those games is terribly boring. I like Tera's combat... but everything else in the game sux.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I rarely post. Why I post in this one? Maybe because i'm not currenty playing any MMO. =P

• HyperwolfHyperwolf Member UncommonPosts: 120

I played the original Guild Wars a bit, and I loved some of the artwork previews I saw of the game leading up to release. 

Yes, I currently play about 15-20 hours a week. 

I love the exploring aspect. The landscapes are the best of any MMO i have played in my opinion, and I have played most well known MMO's.

I also love WvW even though our server (Ferguson's Crossing) is coming almost last. I think WvW will add a lot of longevity to the game once some of the issues are sorted out. 

I also really like the customisation of your character and the ability to switch capabilities very frequently via different weapons or just changing your slotted utilities and skills. 

The lore is great and the voice acting varies, but when it's good it's very good. e.g female sylvari player vs male norn player voices. 

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

I'm currently playing GW2 and TSW although my account is going to expire and I'm letting it because although it's a great game I don't want to pay to play. When it goes F2P I'll definitely get back into it because the story and voice acting is incredible. 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I've learned to post less and frequent this forum less to be honest because so many people are here purely to bring other people down. The number of people who post on GW2 (and many other games)  and do not own a copy is amazing. 

(Edit: formatting) 

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
    ~ WC

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Do you currently play this game?: No

simply it doesn't meet my expectation at all, it was fun during the 1st week, after that, it just went straight grinding, and the fact that the Events are always the same, so after a week, you probably have already done almost everything.
    also, i have reached everything needed in the game, lv 80, 400 crafting, full exotic, completed personal story, all that in a  week, so i have a little reason and no urge at all to log back in until maybe a new expansion 

Currently back in Vanguard, why i still play? well, this is my 2nd MMO that i played to death and the actual MMO that i feel is still good to play, eventhough the population are really dead now, but i still love to be part of the world, and i feel like there are purpose for me in this game, which is to help new players to like the game, because Vanguard, for me is one of a kind MMO that no other MMO has come close to since 2007

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?
    purely to see some good reads and bad reads, just to pass the time, as this subforum is the most populated one, and each day filled with rage and complaints which kept me entertained

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

NOTE: Please do not answer questions that currently do not apply. Feel free to edit your answers to these questions in once the game goes live.

So What Now?

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?

It had a lot of good ideas.

Do you currently play this game?

I haven't played it in a month or more.

If no, please explain why

Ultimately, it was just very disappointing.

Combat is decided by dice rolls, and player movement speed is as slow as molasses with absolutely no focus on player skill whatsoever. Well, except for the laughable 'get out of the ominous red circle very, very slowly!' nonsense. Dodge-rolling is so infrequent that it's useless, and that's after they detached it from mana, it feels utterly vestigial; a token effort thrown in to try to make it more action-y. Most people stand around and faceroll, anyway.

Events and dungeons are never anything more than talentless DPS-zergs, they're that way to encourage people to spend money on armour repairs; the only challenge comes from enemies simply being able to do more damage than the player can cope with, and the answer to that is always more grinding or more gems. Never anything to do with skill, which I had so hoped for. And really, comparing the AI of GW2 to, say, ME3's multiplayer is kind of like comparing the NPC AI of Final Fantasy IV to Ultima VII.

I haven't seen AI this genuinely dumb outside of WoW - mobs don't have maneuvers, they don't try to flank you or act intelligently, nor do they try to support each other. Mobs just make a bee-line to the nearest player and start attacking. In fact, the AI is so dumb that it doesn't know how to calculate Z-depth, which is why if you try to attack a foe from a higher-perch (you know, sniping), you'll find that the mob magically evades every single blow. Because the AI requires the player to be on the same Z-level to fight. I almost had a little cry over that, because that's really bad.

So the combat, mobs, and AI are just really very reminiscent of WoW. The game I was trying to get away from.

On top of that, they flat out lied about a bunch of things. Either lies or baiting and switching - lore changes; account-wide dyes became character-bound; drop rates were nerfed across the board (from dyes to ectos); affordable armour prices were made unaffordable (and people who bought too much were banned); recipes that were good for making money were altered/removed (and people who used them to make money were banned); the utility skill pool turned into a ridiculous WoW-like talent tree thing; the level 80 power plateau was tossed aside in favour of vertical progression; the home instance is useless and has none of the features promised; towns lack the promised activities (only keg brawl made it in); dynamic events were few and far between - mostly the game is heart events, which work exactly the same as traditional quests (minus the pick-up and turn-in); issues with broken events (can't be completed due to a lack of players) and bugs have been tossed aside in favour of hurrying out cheap, nasty, buggy, unpolished, and obviously rushed content; the grind was made ridiculous in some cases just to force people to buy gems (and that worked so well that it encouraged them to add Ascended gear); and I could go on like this, but I won't.

Ultimately the whole thing feels like a massive con. A well-handled con, a brave act of flim-flammery, but still a con. A con I was stupid enough to fall for. A con others are still sadly buying into.

Not doing much in the way of MMOs, really. I'm mostly playing Mass Effect 3's multiplayer.

There is TERA, though. I did poke TERA because a friend told me I should; a bold claim was made on the game's behalf: "It has the combat that ArenaNet promised but didn't deliver," they said, "with wonderful combos and a focus on player skill."

So I tried it. I tried it and it is pretty good. It does indeed place more emphasis on player skill than dice rolls. See, in GW2, if you take on a level 40 mob at level 20, they do so much extra damage that they can one-shot you, and a mechanic called 'glancing blows' means that you actually do zero damage to them; contrary to that, if you take on a level 40 mob at level 20 in TERA and you're good, you actually stand a damned good chance of winning a fight. It's much harder than it would be if you were actually level 40, of course, but at least TERA gives you that chance, rather than one-shotting you out of the gate.

I was expecting TERA to be bad, and... in honesty, it really isn't. In some ways it actually is what I wanted GW2 to be.

It is infrequently, now. I just feel like there's nothing else to say. It's just a lost cause. WoW 2.0 for those who want that, but for me? It's just not my flavour.

(Edit: For formatting.)

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Yes.  Anet was able to prove, years before launch, that they built a compelling game with innovative features. 

Yes

The classes are easy to learn, but incredibly hard to master.  I feel I play my class fairly well, but every so often a player comes and mops the floor with me.  It makes me rethink the way I play my class when competing against others.  My need for improvement keeps things fresh for me.  Despite some short comings, WvW is a lot of fun.

N/A

Only GW2 at the moment.

I find myself posting to this sub forum less as time moves on.  It seems only negative threads gain traction anymore and normal (positive) threads are quickly changed to meaningless arguements.  The people who once contributed to the GW2 forum in the greatest way have stopped posting regularly (Bachus, Creslin, Unlight, Distopia, Meowhead, Fiontar and others).  At this time, other sites provide a better environment for discussing GW2.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

No. I didn't like the first Guild Wars.

Yes.

It's easy to get into the action, even if you don't play for a few weeks. It's the ultimage casual gamers MMORPG.

GW2 (see above) and Neverwinter. I'm a life long D&D fan and enjoy the dungeon experience that many D&D titles have to offer. However, I would not call Neverwinter an MMORPG. I classify it as a multiplayer RPG with an MMO hub for quests, auction house, and possibly guild banks and such.

I don't post here much. I'm not inclined to correct people's misinterpretation of the kind of game GW2 is really.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Yes, I played GW1 as my go to game for PvP pretty much since launch, and played through every expansion. Great game.

Yes

The PvP is fun, and probably the most balanced for a true MMO. Not as good as the original in some ways, but I like the lack of healers, as most other games turn into healer turtles trying to interrupt them enough to take someone down.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  GW2, TSW a few alphas / betas under NDA.  GW2 gives me my PvP fix, TSW my PvE fix, although I have nearly run out of missions in TSW and have very little interest in the end game.  Waiting on a better PvE MMO, hopefully Neverwinter fits that bill with the foundry and the fun combat.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Usually to correct people spewing out unresearched vitriol.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

NOTE: Please do not answer questions that currently do not apply. Feel free to edit your answers to these questions in once the game goes live.

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, because there were no good mmos near its release and after, they released the game where there was very little competition. 

Do you currently play this game?: No

Felt to much like a casual experience and everyone i knew quit in the first month which I wasn't looking for in an AA MMORPG, I could of gotten the same or a better experience else where but with added progression and people I know playing. 

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Not playing any atm, waiting for Neverwinter, TESO, Wildstar.......

I don't post here often, just come here every few weeks to see what's changed in terms of opinions, if I find someone i agree with i'll post and join in, in the discussion. 

People seems to forget forums are for discussing, you can discussion a topic wether you have current or past experience with said topic. 

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• mate0377mate0377 Member UncommonPosts: 55

- yes I was interested in this game because it had very causual new mechanics implemented, great graphic, great character customization

- Yes

- Its a great causual mmorpg (I am causual player dont like HC nolife mmorpgs as I dont have time to play them to be competetive)

The game presented to the mmorpg many new next gen mechanics like (those will be absolutely necessary for any new mmorpg that I might buy in future):

no trinity system, shared exp even if not in group, own instanced loot, own instanced gathering resources, global all server AH (trading post), no gear grind (I can take 3 months break then jump back in and be as competetive as when left), no subscription

GW2

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Yes, I bought a collector's edition. Rytlok statue defends my dresser from impending doom.

No.

No trinity makes the dungeons boring. The world doesn't have as much to do as I had hoped (dynamic events turned out to be a disappointment).

None. Want to test FFXIV, TESO, Wildstar though. I don't have a problem with themepark games, and I would go back to WoW, but I'm just done with it at this point - they'd have to put out the most amazing expansion ever to bring me back, the last two have been really lackluster.

Infrequently for me; I just don't spend much time thinking about GW2 these days, they did something well, but they fell short of their potential.

• SephrinxSephrinx Member UncommonPosts: 94

Yes! I saw the beta play of it, and some featured videos and I was drawn in. I picked it up either October or November of 2012 and played it solid.

Occasionally. I have't played much in the last couple of months.

I've been busy moving and playing other games. Path of Exile, FFXIV Realm Reborn, ... League of Legends -.- ( Add me! I play a mean adc! IGN: Sephrinx)

I am currently beta testing and writing a review for FFXIV: Realm reborn. I want to see all the game has to offer before it is released, and give my opinion too all the potential buyers out there. I want to see what the ups and downs are, and whether or not it's worth it.

I just discovered this sight the other day, and have only made a few posts since then. I am glad to have found this place, it seems homey :3

imageimageimageimage

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Yes

Best AAA MMORPG out there if you like a casual friendly game that doesn't require you to organize your life around it just to get by.

GW2 is all I need.

I've become a very infrequent poster and even reader. I'm not that interested anymore in other people's opinion, especially haters that think it's too casual friendly. I know what the game offers and what it doesn't.

imageimage
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:GW1 Fan since Factions. Been waiting since before EotN came out.

Do you currently play this game?: Yup, just got back from a 3 week break

If yes, please explain why: Hands down best value for any MMO out there, including GW1. Huge world, constant content.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: GW2, Vindictus (action combat)

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? : I try to either educate people who may be misinformed, prevent the spread of misinformation, support constructive criticism, and add bit of class :)

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, being waiting for GW2 since 2009. I like GW and its Lore. Its easily my second favorite Lore after Warcraft.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes i do.

If yes, please explain why: Because i like the game. Its one of my two favorite mmos. Love the mechanics and the Lore. Its one of my two favorite mmos to date.

If no, please explain why: I do, but when i take breaks i like to wait for more content (this applies to every mmo i play). And now with the bi-weekly updates i might log in more often as well.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Im currently playing GW2, WoW (until next week that sub ends and wont renew for a while) and Final Fantasy XIV:ARR beta, i also play sometimes Rift, TSW, Firefall. I like all these games, they arent perfect but i have fun playing them for some time.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Im interested in the game and i also join discussions that grab my attention.

• ownprocessownprocess Member UncommonPosts: 21

Yes, long time GW1 (Prophecies/Factions/Nightfall & EOTN) player, loved that game.

Yes, though perhaps not as much as I'd like.

I still enjoy the game, though I do miss the lack of trinity aspects, & wish I could play a monk!

GW2, and occasionally dip into SWTOR.

Frequent reader, very infrequent poster, however I like to keep up on news and peoples opinions of game updates etc.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Yes, because Guildwars one was a good game and because they promised something new and refreshing (on paper but did not deliver).

yes and no

I usually check in for new updates/events a few PvP Zergs now and then can be fun too.

The whole "punish players for playing" attitude (diminishing returns, drop rate throttling etc). Class balance is a joke in this game and it's quite boring with no long term incentive. Crafting is very bad. The only incentive, cosmetic armour sets, look really bad. 

• Various Alpha/Beta i can not disclose due to NDA.
    • Definace: Having fun with friends doing a few missions every now and then. Same as BF3 or any other shooter really.
    • FFXI: Still the best game with the most content and best class, skill, crafting system.
    • FFXIV: Alpha/Beta hoping they deliver a truly deep and meaningful game just like FFXI. Pretty happy about it so far.

Checking on information and new content and discussing changes to some of the classes i played.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

Yep. Game was doing new things and moving away from the whole WoW-clone business. I also played in the betas and like what I saw.

Yes.

It's B2P, meaning I can jump in and out at any time and don't have to worry about a running subscription.

It's easy to get started in, although I hate the leveling system. I basically just explore and sometimes join WvW. WvW is really what I got the game for originally, but our server performed really poorly and my guild plans fell through.

EVE - it's one of the few properly done MMO's and sandboxes on the market. It has a high level of complexity which I like. I can progress in it even when I am busy or AFK, which I often am.

I generally have few comments to make about GW2 so I don't go here often. I'm disconnected from most of the GW2 playerbase since all my characters are very low level.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• czombieczombie Member Posts: 82

Hey guys,

Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why: I am already satisfied playing World of Warcraft and have not yet tried this game.  It does not seem to currently have as many features as WoW and once they add more features, I may try it.  The features that it does have that WoW doesn't, such as twitch combat, do not really interest me.

The game has been around for a while so it has many features.  The graphics and toon models are still decent looking despite its age.  There are many race/class choices.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I do not post on this subforum regularly.  I only posted now to answer this particular survey.

• wesmowesmo Member Posts: 60
    I do
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

NO.

I stopped playing 9 months ago when I realized Arenanet had not idea of what world class faction conflict was...and no intention of redesigning WvW from its current meaningless 24/7 zergfeast .

• WikileaksEUWikileaksEU Member UncommonPosts: 108

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes. GW1 and ArenaNets visions was what made me interested in GW2.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes.

If yes, please explain why: I play it because it's easy to get into and one of the best gameplay in any mmorpg i've played.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Guild Wars 2

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? To discuss with or inform other players.

• Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

No because I didn't like GW1 and thought this would be the same thing.

Yes.

It may be the best MMORPG ever. In many ways, it makes me think of what AC1 would have been if it was updated to these standards.

N/A

GW2 .. see above

These forums are the most hate filled whine fests I've ever encountered ... and I've been around. Its not just this particular forum, but all of the forums for each and every game. However, every now and then I like to check in and see if maybe the haters have moved on or have somehow gotten a life. As time has proven, I should have known better.