Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is like the ES single player games, will surprise the doubters!!!

Comments

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Antiquated
    Originally posted by velmax

The mmorpg forum is pointless to post anymore, only trolls run this site! Trolls that will always hate on any game.

So if every game ever made was good, we'd have no trolls at all? Is there a cause at work behind this effect?

Incidentally: The folks that run this site have often been accused of, if anything, being far too complimentary of some really weak titles. See their last several "Game of the Year" picks...

What difference does it make? There are always those here who will criticize a compliment of a game they don't support and the definition of 'weak' or 'fail' varies to just about every person that spouts those words.

There Is Always Hope!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by keithian

Well we will see. You very well could be right. I just think it's kinda crazy you rag on ESO so much. I think you really need to give it a rest. It's like you hover over these topics just waiting for someone to be excited about ESO and then you reply just to bash it.

Actually, that would be the sole purpose of some folks, to offer counter points to the positives being posted by others.

Working as intended.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    If you are looking for what ES gives you in its normal single player games, I'm sorry but unless they 'phase' things out a lot and do lots of special innovative stuff to give players single player game choice in effecting the world to a degree, its just not going to do the things players crave to do most in elder scrolls. That is part of the issue with an MMo, its hard to make it feel as if the players actions change things since theres so many players in the world that you can't really do much to have ones actions change and shape how everything is.
  • ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Man, I hope this is true. Gonna love it

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Don't believe the hype.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by khameleon
    Originally posted by Anireth
    I do not really want an MMO to be like a single player game.

That's not what I said. I said it will have all the good stuff from the single player game implemented into an MMO game, of course they will have added tons of things that you do with groups now and ways to interact with others that is not in the 1 player ESO games.

People love ES because you can pick locks, talk to NPCs with tons of dialog and detailed voice/text, find and read books all over, pick up things in each house, then use it to craft, look in chests, drawers, cupboards, etc.  All those details is what they will take and put it into an MMO and much more.

These people on here that just say "blah blah themepark" are miserable. If they want a sandbox go play darkfall and the games you all said would be the greatest ever, shouldn't you be happy already and have the game of your dreams?

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Last I looked there none of the good stuff that kept me immersed being implemented in TESO.  Where's my housing.  Wheres my companions?  My ability to carry on a romantic involvement with Lydia? The ability to kill most any NPC that rubs me the wrong way (talking about Dawnstar here), wheres my ability to creat a 4 square mile collage of my dead bodies spelling out "help me" or by ability to roll 10,000 Cheese Wheels down the side of a mountain because I can, or my ability to steal, rob and kill my way across the quest lines.  Or here's a novel approach, will I be able to visit 200+ Points of Interest per zone in TESO?  Chances are I won't from all likely hood the density of the POI system known widely in all the signle player games has been neutered for a more traditional MMO linear approach.  Sadly the same mistake GW2 made with hearts and now TESO is making with their game.

Yeah but most of that wouldn't work in an mmo.

SWToR did prove you could have companions but depending on your sensibilities, seeing 28 copies of your compaion all over the world might be silly.

killing all the npc's will just lead to there always being dead npc's. There is no point having npc's if they are always dead. sure, one person spelling out "help me" with bodies is novel but having the landscape littered with bodies "all the time until people quit" is not.

Same with the cheese wheels.

Even I, who would prefer to have this game closer to morrowind or skyrim can see that some of those things would get old in seconds in an mmo version.

The developers not adding this means that they are smart.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Yeah but is it open world? Nope.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I'm sure it will be pretty fun, looks good to me so far.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Last I looked there none of the good stuff that kept me immersed being implemented in TESO.  Where's my housing.  Wheres my companions?  My ability to carry on a romantic involvement with Lydia? The ability to kill most any NPC that rubs me the wrong way (talking about Dawnstar here), wheres my ability to creat a 4 square mile collage of my dead bodies spelling out "help me" or by ability to roll 10,000 Cheese Wheels down the side of a mountain because I can, or my ability to steal, rob and kill my way across the quest lines.  Or here's a novel approach, will I be able to visit 200+ Points of Interest per zone in TESO?  Chances are I won't from all likely hood the density of the POI system known widely in all the signle player games has been neutered for a more traditional MMO linear approach.  Sadly the same mistake GW2 made with hearts and now TESO is making with their game.

What purpose would most of that serve in an MMO? I really don't want to see a huge pile of cheese wheels at the bottom of every hill. Don't want towns to be full of piles of dead bodies, or bodies used to spell out words. That would be a complete immersion killer for me.

Companions, Sov pointed out the problem with those pretty well with his TOR comparison.

As for marriage, well it is an MMO, I'd rather that be handled between players SWG style, rather than player to NPC.

I can't really see a point made here, that is not a smart decision to handle differently in an MMO.

As for what POI's will be there, I have no idea, no reason to discuss what we don't know.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by keithian
    Wonder what else there is to do other then PvP in Crodill, Craft, Progress and combat?  Wonder what they are going to add to replace al lthe little activities that made games like Skyrim so immersive.  I suspect nothing and In the end the game will quickly go the way of SWTOR. Heavy on the solo play and little to no longevity.  If that's the case they should of just made another single player TES game.  Because unless they can add all the depth of a Skyrim or Morrowind then this game will fail.  No matter how cool it seems or how fun it is to level.  That newness will wear off and you will eventually reach level cap and then what?  Suspect not much therefore the majority of the players will move on to the next "new shiny" Themepark MMO.

Are you asking the same type of things in the same negative way in the EQ next forums because you know a lot less about that game and have a completely different attitude there. You really haven't seen much of this game in person at all. Just wait a little longer to try it. You might be surprised and enjoy it despite your ridiculous references to SWTOR. Let it go already.

Because EQN is going to be a sandbox.  You know it's going to have stuff that keeps players immersed in the game other then leveling, combat and loot grinds.  Because that's basically all TESO is going to have, it's not going to have any of the systems in place that keeps the players around for longer then a few months.  How do I know this without ever playing the game?  Because its the same shit that's been propagated for close to 6 years now, level up, run dungeons or PvP for gear and get bored 3 months in and quit and wait on the next Themepark fallacy.

Until TESO shows it can develop solid content that espouses systems and ideas that stray from the failed http://www.keenandgraev.com/2011/03/01/the-3-month-er  then TESO is doomed to follow the same path of the likes of WAR or SWTOR.

Sandbox does not mean the game will be good smart person. I find it funny, a company can toot the word sandbox and you get all giddy with excitement and act like it's going to be the best thing ever with out knowing even a fraction about the game.

Before E3 and before I fell out of favor with TESO I couldn't care less about EQN but seeing as Zenimax ruined any hopes in making TESO anything other then another 3 month MMO and 2 of the most established and well respected MMO sites gave EQN best in show then its fairly obvious the game will deliver.  Being produced by a Triple A studio (the 1st studio AAA studio to develop a sandbox mind you) doesn't hurt either.

I'm not saying TESO is going to be bad because I will most assuredly play it, but I have no illsuions to the fact that endgame will be boring and "samey", because nothing released so far shows otherwise.  All they tout are the systems that people have grown bored of once the new shiny wore off.  In fact I would bet a years salary that what you do at level cap will be pretty much the same crap you do in any MMO.  Level up, progress your character, and grind for loot.

Well we will see. You very well could be right. I just think it's kinda crazy you rag on ESO so much. I think you really need to give it a rest. It's like you hover over these topics just waiting for someone to be excited about ESO and then you reply just to bash it.

Seriously Its not bashing because I want the best game possible and right now they are not delivering it.  A simple search from some leaked sites will show everything I am saying is true (well mostly)  But the reason I am skeptical and post a lot of negativity about is that the Devs have shown they are willing to listed to feedback,  Feedback got 1st person in the game, feedback got an ability to see the other 2 factions areas so my hopes is my feedback gets endgame to where it needs for a game to last.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by Distopia

What purpose would most of that serve in an MMO? I really don't want to see a huge pile of cheese wheels at the bottom of every hill. Don't want towns to be full of piles of dead bodies, or bodies used to spell out words. That would be a complete immersion killer for me.

Companions, Sov pointed out the problem with those pretty well with his TOR comparison.

As for marriage, well it is an MMO, I'd rather that be handled between players SWG style, rather than player to NPC.

I can't really see a point made here, that is not a smart decision to handle differently in an MMO.

As for what POI's will be there, I have no idea, no reason to discuss what we don't know.

I am not advocating for the inclusion of those single player elements but they are an example of non traditional content is found in an Elder Scrolls game and everything is cumulative in creating a great RPG.  I find it rather weird that TES games are normally universally considered poor combat games but the rest of the games gives it the sense of scope and grandeur.

To get that scope and grandeur you need to replace those elements that are not conducive to a persistent MMO with ideals and systems that work in an MMO.  Currently that isn't in game and unless it changed the game will fail on a large scale in much the same way SWTOR did.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    What they should of done is scrap the MMO idea and took a page out of pre-EA Biowares book with NWN1 and allowed people a toolset and the ability to host their own servers. 

I am looking forward to the mmo but the ideal of a tool set and hosting my own server for Skyrim is much more appealing.

• JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75

Azzamasin, this isn't going to be your MMORPG and it's obviously not your TES game. My expectations for The Elder Scrolls Online are high like many others. I have been heavily invested in the world of Tamriel since that horrible game, Arena. It wasn't until Morrowind that I was indeed hooked on the gameplay and the lore as a whole.

The Elder Scrolls Online isn't about providing a sandbox or traditional MMO experience. It's trying to take what we love about the most recent Elder Scrolls games and put it in a MMO-like environment. Now your argument is legit! From current trends it seems that theme parks are on their way out. Plus, your hardcore MMORPG fans dictate the success of these games even if they're the vocal minority. If there isn't enough to do after reaching that final experience level, it's those players who tell the rest of us that it's a waste a time. And quite frankly, what they have to say works. Look at DC Universe Online's first 3 months; if it wasn't for the F2P model I'm pretty sure that game would have disappeared. And SWTOR suffered greatly from this.

Why do I want to play The Elder Scrolls Online? I get to see the land of Tamriel and it's people. The idea of being immersed in this world that I have been invested in for over 10 years! But not only that, I get to share it with someone else. And I can visit places and see vistas that I never witnessed before. Not to mention, dreamed of seeing.

Yes, end-game is very important and I've seen plenty of debates regarding that topic with TESO. But I've heard nothing but good things about the current built of this game without someone having to go fully into detail and breaking the NDA. Guys like the ShoddyCast(love their TES lore series) and even Jesse Cox keep me excited enough. And I've read the good and the bad on several different builts:

This built makes questing feel organic and spontaneous like traditional TES games!

The built I played feels way too much like a traditional MMORPG.

But after E3 from what I manage to find out, the game is reaching a sweet spot between two types of gameplay styles. I am well aware somethings will need to be sacrificed but I am hoping I can spend hundreds of hours into this game while enjoying the magical place that is Tamriel. My dream for this The Elder Scrolls Online would be a unique story-like PvE experience that's so good, the lack of end-game content at launch wouldn't even be a factor. I can only dream...

If not, there is always hope for Everquest Next.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by NeoGen85

Azzamasin, this isn't going to be your MMORPG and it's obviously not your TES game...

And yet... I'm willing to bet you he will be there in the open beta with the rest of us.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

All I can say is this game will surprise the doubters, everything they are saying about the game being cheap, nothing like the 1 player game and about the graphics, etc.  all wrong.

It will have top notch graphics, top of the line animation, voiced npcs and all the good stuff from the 1 player games where it lets you pick everything up, read stuff, search bookcases, everything is there.

Too bad it's supposed to be an MMO, and not a singleplayer game.

SWTOR was a decent singleplayer game too. But a shitty awful MMO. This looks to be the same.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

All I can say is this game will surprise the doubters, everything they are saying about the game being cheap, nothing like the 1 player game and about the graphics, etc.  all wrong.

It will have top notch graphics, top of the line animation, voiced npcs and all the good stuff from the 1 player games where it lets you pick everything up, read stuff, search bookcases, everything is there.

Are you breaking NDA or are you trolling?  For your sake you better be the latter.

FYI he hasn't broke anything, everything he says has already been said by the devs in  public so don't play the court judge please.

Originally posted by Iselin

Azzamasin, this isn't going to be your MMORPG and it's obviously not your TES game...

And yet... I'm willing to bet you he will be there in the open beta with the rest of us.

Never said I wasn't.  Again my only intention is to showcase the faults, perceived or not the game will have.  I am tired of playing an MMO for a few months then having to quit because the endgame sucks or there is nothing but more of the same at the level cap.  I used to be extremely hyped for the game and to a degree I still am.  The only reason I "bash" the game is to hopefully influence more people to speak out about shortcomings because the Devs have already proven to listen to the community by changing 1st person as well as adding exploration of the 2 alternate factions.  Hopefully they can change the game's endgame too.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

SWTOR was a decent singleplayer game too. But a shitty awful MMO. This looks to be the same.

Exactly.  We don't need a good single player elder scrolls game, we need a good elder scrolls MMO.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I think you folks are looking into this way too much.  I'll just say this:  My favorite game of all time is Morrowind, and I love Skyrim.  I played the beta for ESO this past weekend, and had my doubts about the game going in.  After the weekend, I can say I will absolutely be playing the game at launch.

Take that as you will.

• JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75

Exactly.  We don't need a good single player elder scrolls game, we need a good elder scrolls MMO.

I agree with you. The question is..what do you like out of your MMORPG and what major change would you like to see. Of course I want to see more sandbox games. But I do dream..

There are gamers who have spent hundreds of hours with The Elder Scrolls more so than a MMORPG. And I'm not just talking about rolling cheese down a hill. What if The Elder Scrolls Online has a unique way of presenting itself similar to the single player experience while still providing engaging MMO-like elements. And it's enough for you to keep coming back and still discover the unexplored.

I've always wanted an MMORPG with a rich PvE world that still has mystery over the hill that doesn't end at the level cap and isn't always in a raid dungeon. Not only that, my questing hasn't reached it's climax at max level and the fun factor(plus the story) overshadows the gear grinding.

Just like you..TESO will not be the game I play if it's like SWTOR, where the fun factor is in the story yet everything else is lacklustered including the general quests. The one thing that gets me so excited for TESO is that people who have gotten their hands on a beta built are getting side tracked by things that make them deviate from the main quest-line just like in a traditional Elder Scrolls game. Not only that, but they're immersed. And that alone has made me put in hundreds of hours into Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind. Not only investing tons of time in one character but in multiple.

What I describe might not be The Elder Scrolls Online; perhaps something else later down the pipe line. But I would love to think that even after 3 or 4 months of playing TESO that there is still much more to see on my general travels through Tamriel.

I agree with you. The question is..what do you like out of your MMORPG and what major change would you like to see. Of course I want to see more sandbox games. But I do dream..

There are gamers who have spent hundreds of hours with The Elder Scrolls more so than a MMORPG. And I'm not just talking about rolling cheese down a hill. What if The Elder Scrolls Online has a unique way of presenting itself similar to the single player experience while still providing engaging MMO-like elements. And it's enough for you to keep coming back and still discover the unexplored.

I've always wanted an MMORPG with a rich PvE world that still has mystery over the hill that doesn't end at the level cap and isn't always in a raid dungeon. Not only that, my questing hasn't reached it's climax at max level and the fun factor(plus the story) overshadows the gear grinding.

Just like you..TESO will not be the game I play if it's like SWTOR, where the fun factor is in the story yet everything else is lacklustered including the general quests. The one thing that gets me so excited for TESO is that people who have gotten their hands on a beta built are getting side tracked by things that make them deviate from the main quest-line just like in a traditional Elder Scrolls game. Not only that, but they're immersed. And that alone has made me put in hundreds of hours into Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind. Not only investing tons of time in one character but in multiple.

What I describe might not be The Elder Scrolls Online; perhaps something else later down the pipe line. But I would love to think that even after 3 or 4 months of playing TESO that there is still much more to see on my general travels through Tamriel.

First off I would like to see them add player housing.  Considering the game was pushed back 6+ months then there is time to add that feature in.  Next I want to see more information on Adventure zones and it's implementation added in before launch.  After that I would like to see the following:

• Alternate Advancement system
    • Progression based gear.  Something similar to Aetheria from Asheron's Call http://acpedia.org/wiki/Aetheria
    • Deep meaningful gear system with hundreds of different choices, tired of everyone looking similar in an MMO.  This was a huge draw for me in Skyrim, downloading the different armor and weapon skins.
    • An open world Boss fights similar to Vanilla WoW's Emerald Dragons
    • Repeatable faction quests, and when I say quests I mean quests, not FedEx tasks
    • In Game Gambling system
    Little things to do other then combat.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Iselin Originally posted by NeoGen85 Azzamasin, this isn't going to be your MMORPG and it's obviously not your TES game...  
    Never said I wasn't.  Again my only intention is to showcase the faults, perceived or not the game will have.  I am tired of playing an MMO for a few months then having to quit because the endgame sucks or there is nothing but more of the same at the level cap.  I used to be extremely hyped for the game and to a degree I still am.  The only reason I "bash" the game is to hopefully influence more people to speak out about shortcomings because the Devs have already proven to listen to the community by changing 1st person as well as adding exploration of the 2 alternate factions.  Hopefully they can change the game's endgame too.

no matter how much complaining you do, this is not going to be a game you can play the same character for years, its just not.

i don't see what they could possibly change to make it any different in that regard. just except it for what it is, it will be a game that should be fun for a few months at least, which is more than i can say for any single player game that will likely be the same price or cheaper.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I am looking forward to playing ESO because I get to visit lands I have yet to see for myself and from everything I have heard the exploration you see in ES games is present in ESO.
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by NeoGen85 Azzamasin, this isn't going to be your MMORPG and it's obviously not your TES game...  

no matter how much complaining you do, this is not going to be a game you can play the same character for years, its just not.

i don't see what they could possibly change to make it any different in that regard. just except it for what it is, it will be a game that should be fun for a few months at least, which is more than i can say for any single player game that will likely be the same price or cheaper.

Sad I really want a return to a game that can be played for years.  So tired of MMO's lately.  In the 2+ years Since I've quit WoW I have never stayed in an MMO longer for 4 months.  Rift, Gw2, TSW, Neverwinter, etc. etc.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by NeoGen85 Azzamasin, this isn't going to be your MMORPG and it's obviously not your TES game...  

Sad I really want a return to a game that can be played for years.  So tired of MMO's lately.  In the 2+ years Since I've quit WoW I have never stayed in an MMO longer for 4 months.  Rift, Gw2, TSW, Neverwinter, etc. etc.

You know in all honesty, the only MMOs I ever played 2+ years where the ones I seriously got involved in the community. I really think that is the main factor as to whether or not you stay or go. A game can be the worst game in existance, but if it has a good community you like, you are very likely to stay either way.

I know for certain ESO has been pushing to make your time in the game with others as best as possible. They even have a freaking test for you to take if you want to play with those who have similar interests. What more could you want than that? Hopefully it works as intended. All I know is that is going much further then most MMOs go.