Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Camelot Unchained: KickStarter Launch Interview

13»

Comments

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Rainfall13
    Originally posted by znaiika
    Originally posted by hardicon 

He sell an idea, and people buy it without even thinking about it. 

CU developer is going to make a ton of cash selling an old game engine.

How much does it worth to actualy make a game with free game engine?

You -do- realize he's intending to make an engine, for the most part, from scratch right?  You're saying that he's using freeware is simply mis-informed and incorrect.   You are also insinuating that the people backing it are not thinking it through.  The initial pledges had a month to think on it.  The others pouring in did their due diligence.  Yes, some are blindly pledging, but--I am not. I did my research.  I know mark's history and I played daoc , war and numerous other mmos.  None compare to daoc or war experience wise.  That's why I am backing this. 

For the money he ask, would be easy'er to pay for euclidean game engine, and make one of a kind game, that I would understand.

Is he going to make game? or game engine?

My opinion?  he's going to spend time and cash to make game engine, game is going to be as a test project.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Necroneus
    CU will not be founded, I know. Gess I'm wrong but...

You'll be surprised what people can do for the hope.

• Charlie1066Charlie1066 Member Posts: 6

Compared with divergence these guys have nothing and they have raised vast sums of money.

There is no justice in the world

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85
    Do backers get there cash back if the game doesnt actually hit 2mil ? thats the real question
  • hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

ok im gonna get this out in the open.  I am not hating on the game, nor do I want it to fail.  Lord knows we need some other types of mmos rather than wow clone 2 million and 42.  its not my type of game surely as I am not that interested in pvp but I surely dont wish it to fail and I hope it turns out to be what all the supporters hope it will be. 

just seemd kind of weird to me how much this game is getting covered at such a early development cycle, much more than any other game has been covered this early in its development cycle.

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

ok im gonna get this out in the open.  I am not hating on the game, nor do I want it to fail.  Lord knows we need some other types of mmos rather than wow clone 2 million and 42.  its not my type of game surely as I am not that interested in pvp but I surely dont wish it to fail and I hope it turns out to be what all the supporters hope it will be. just seemd kind of weird to me how much this game is getting covered at such a early development cycle, much more than any other game has been covered this early in its development cycle.

I understand that you may be confused, but this is a mmo on kickstarter and it generate lot of attention during during it's 30 day funding cycle. If it does NOT get any attention this early it's not going to be a game to report on later...

a Kickstarter is almost a game in it self, a group of people is racing against time to get a project funded, if they don't succeed it's GAME OVER.

• Mermaider666Mermaider666 Member Posts: 3

Ok I think this needs to be pointed out but this is a Niche game and those of you saying you aren't putting your money in, good for you.  That helps nobody; you just like to hear yourself talk because you think your negative input will have some magical effect on the funding's outcome. 

If you've ever played a "DAoC clone", it probably wasn't headed by Mark.  Plenty of people loved WAR (though I didn't, I hated that they put in isntanced PvP and wasn't big on the RvR maps), but you're forgetting that they didn't even have 3 factions in WAR.  There was 2, and I think that is what ruined the game for me.  

I've played WoW since Vanilla, and DAoC since 2001 and dammit DAoC is X10 better.  It's a strange though I know, but some of us actually LIKE tri-realm combat and not crappy linear questing, predictable raiding mechanics with boring dps rotations and mind numbing grinding.  Who'da thunk!?

Why Did GW2 fail at WvW?  Because it was just 3 servers fighting each other.  Not 3 different realms with their own classes, races and lore to create a sense of pride for your realm.  Mark Is making sure he won't fail on this aspect. 

'Hurr butt Mark is going to make somuch moneyz off dis' would be a valid statement if it was true.  He has a team to pay for and this game is NICHE.  The subscription numbers won't be as high as many other MMO's out there, he's making this game BECAUSE HE LOVED DAOC AND THE COMMUNITY.  Hell, if this KS funds MARK IS DONATING 2 MILLION out of his own wallet to back this project up. 

If any of you took the chance to read what goes on the forums like the CU subreddit, you would understand how serious he is about this game and he has been very vocal with any questions or concerns.  

I'm not saying this game is going to be successful, but there isn't need for false accusations about one's character out of personal spite for that individual (Mark in this case).  

For those of you saying you won't back it, but are cheering it on - Thank you!  

For those of you taking it personal and flaming the CONCEPT, go away :P

And those of you saying he's doing this for the money, lol.  Just lol.  Because many of us rather throw our money at Mark than any other game dev out there today.  He is a geniune fella and many of us here have great memories from DAoC and a good amount of respect for the man.  Sure he's messed up before, who hasn't?  He's said he's messed up and admitted his own faults.  If you hate him that much, Donate 10k on the KS, fly to his studios, throw a pie in his face and scream "DEKCUS AOT" (toa sucked)

Originally posted by deathangell
    Do backers get there cash back if the game doesnt actually hit 2mil ? thats the real question

Yes they do! All 100% of that money they donate is returned

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by DJMantiss
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Nice interview.

Almost half--way and  over 3 weeks left.

Can't wait for the stretch goals.

This is going to be a very social game, and for those worried about no PvE...

Keep in mind, there are mobs, animals, and will be dragons to kill. You just won't get loot from them, or level up on them.

Which begs the question of why would they waste development time and money to make them at all? Seems like a really bad point or arguement to me. Investing time and money into game elements that do literally nothing for you makes zero sense.

They will have a purpose for cracting. MJ has stated that things will still drop like skins and scales. Mobs play a role in pvp as both a resource to fight for and wild cards in pvp in a living world.

You stay sassy!

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Sp00sh

So...

If the game sucks, do I get my money back?

No?  Thus...I will not pledge.

you re not even charged if it doesnt fund, so no worries there, KS only charge your Credit Card at the end of the 30 days AND if the goal is reached.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• Rainfall13Rainfall13 Member Posts: 7

@ Those of you who are confused in regards to how funding on Kickstarter works.  UNLESS THE 2,000,000$ GOAL IS REACHED, NO MONEY IS TAKEN FROM YOUR ACCOUNT.  In the case event that it DOES reach "funded" status, the money STILL WILL NOT be removed UNTIL the kickstarter is 100% COMPLETE.  Until such a time, pledging is simply that - pledging.  A 1$ deductible is taken from your account via Amazon transaction and re-added immediately thereafter to make sure your account is in fact both working and legitimate.  Nothing less, nothing more.

I hope this clarifies any confusion people might have regarding this.  It is for this very reason that Paypal is not allowed until funding threshold has been reached on kickstarters.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534

I dont really understand this mmorpg.  this game that hasnt even started development and might not even get made seems to get so much coverage from this website.  I mean anything they say yall do an interview with them about it, devs go poop, yall do interview.

whats the deal with this, they havent announced anything that even remotely sounds like it would be a good game.  dont you think there are other games coming out that maybe yall could devote a little bit of time to instead of 5 interviews and colums a week on daoc ripoff number whatever (as if one daoc wasnt bad enough).

Believe it's more or less that these guys can make the game but is there enough backing/"want" for it to be made. They could go balls deep into it and say "Hey here is the game you wanted!" and it to be a flop because no one really cares about it. With Kickstarter going seems to be a decent indicator of is there enough "will" in the community that want to see this through.

Time will tell, I'd like to see CU come to be personally.

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by Rainfall13

He sell an idea, and people buy it without even thinking about it. 

CU developer is going to make a ton of cash selling an old game engine.

How much does it worth to actualy make a game with free game engine?

You -do- realize he's intending to make an engine, for the most part, from scratch right?  You're saying that he's using freeware is simply mis-informed and incorrect.   You are also insinuating that the people backing it are not thinking it through.  The initial pledges had a month to think on it.  The others pouring in did their due diligence.  Yes, some are blindly pledging, but--I am not. I did my research.  I know mark's history and I played daoc , war and numerous other mmos.  None compare to daoc or war experience wise.  That's why I am backing this. 

For the money he ask, would be easy'er to pay for euclidean game engine, and make one of a kind game, that I would understand.

Is he going to make game? or game engine?

My opinion?  he's going to spend time and cash to make game engine, game is going to be as a test project.

No game engine to this day has been able to show you 200+ people on your screen without lags. That's why they need a new engine that skip some graphical possibilities to add more technical stuff.

Go read that if you want more info on what i just said : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/posts/444733

Originally posted by Mermaider666

Originally posted by deathangell

Yes they do! All 100% of that money they donate is returned

It has already been said, but fom my experience you never repeat it enough, so : actually, nothing is taken until the end of the KS campaign, the 2nd May here. Then at that date all the accounts are charged if the funding goal has been met.

• AilsaHAilsaH Member CommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by Sp00sh

So...

If the game sucks, do I get my money back?

No?  Thus...I will not pledge.

I /facepalmed when I read this... You can't get your money back on a physical copy of a game, either if you take it home and find out it sucks.

Personally, I think it is well worth getting at least the $25 pledge as you get the game, the free month, and other goodies and all for about half what the game will cost at launch.

Whenever I have been involved in betas, or just discussions about upcoming games, there is no shortage of people begging or hoping for a PvP server (or a FFA PvP server).  Those are the people this game is designed for.  If you are one of those people, please consider pledging $25 to CU.  :D

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think building a game for RvR has a lot of potential. You just need to get the basics right. The first and most critical thing is to have an engrossing RvR PvE story to carry you along and get you into the spirit of it. The second is fun and balanced PvP mechanics. So many games have gotten this all wrong. add into that good sound/graphics and Mac and PC support and we are talking a promising new game here if funded.

• SkipMeisterSkipMeister Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Hope it gets funded and that the game is done well.  Enjoyed the PvP mechanics of a game like Shadowbane but it lacked in so many ways plus it was unstable.  DAoC RvR was pretty good.  Looking forward to this new title.  Good Luck!
  • RadakillRadakill Member UncommonPosts: 29

Wish I knew about the kick start a few months ago, looks like I missed it as they are funded already.

This one could be better then DAOC, certainly is possible with Mark back in the drivers seat.

Cant wait.