Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple class to play for my son

Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

My son is only 7 and is playing SWTOR with me, but we do a lot of PvP and he does better with classes that have a few main skills that are used over and over. Some of us would find that boring but he thrives on it. Anyway, I need some advice on a class for him. I played a cleric in rift a year or two ago, and will probably play a chloro this time for something different as a healer. So any advice is welcome about a class that is easy to play and would PvP well in a duo with a chloro/healer. I was leaning towards warrior/tank for him (that's what he plays in swtor) but melee in Rift seems a bit gimped compared to ranged, and it might be hard for my boy as a melee to chase down ranged. But if there are any tank classes that can 'protect' a healer, that might work well, since he wouldn't have to chase them, they would be charging me!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Elladan - ESO (AD)
Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
Kili - WoW
Eol - Lineage 2
Camring - SWG
Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

Comments

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

Go with a cleric with the druid soul, justicar soul, and warden soul is a very durable combo of soul's.

Edit: have him use a mace and shield

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

are they pretty easy to play, without a lot of button smashing? I played an inquisitor/justicar or a sentinel/justicar in pvp and when my son tried that, it was too much for him to do well (of course that was 1.5 years ago when he was not even 6, lol).

Thanks for the help!

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG

• folkienfolkien Member Posts: 32
    I just started playing a Harbinger using this guide here http://valvalval.net/leveling-as-a-harbinger/ really fun, really easy.

Originally posted by Eol-

are they pretty easy to play, without a lot of button smashing? I played an inquisitor/justicar or a sentinel/justicar in pvp and when my son tried that, it was too much for him to do well (of course that was 1.5 years ago when he was not even 6, lol).

Thanks for the help!

I use maybe 4-5 different skill's most of the time on mine, probably the easiest cleric type to play. Just not a good build for pvp.

Don't you need to purchase the SL soul's for Harbringer?
    Yeah, I think you do need the SL souls for Harbinger

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Maybe set him up some macros at one point? By doing so he could easily play every single classes I think. If not, then just look at the preset roles available and look at the one who are "easy" to play. It's written at the bottom of the preset role.

thanks for all the help so far.

anything jump out that's easy to play AND reasonably effective in PvP? (Fighting together with a chloro)

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG

Setting up macros really helps, I know im only 16 on my Harbinger but right now I only have to worry about pressing 2 keys and buffing myself every hour

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Let him try Hunter/Marksman with pet tanking for him. If you set up him macros, won't use more than 3-4 buttons. Even in end-game my rotation is mostly 1-2-3-4 with macros. :)
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Macros are the best way to minimize the number of keys required to play a class.  That said, the built-in macro system is limited in functionality.  Simply put, each time you press the button to activate the macro, it goes through the list of skills you have entered and attempts to use the first one in the list that it can use.  So, if you put a self-buff with no cooldown or other requirement at the top of the macro, that skill will always be used when you press the button and no other skills in the list will be attempted to be activated.

How is this useful?  Place skills with cooldowns or special requirements above the skill you can use any time, and the game will attempt to activate those first.  Hard-hitting attacks tend to have a cooldown or some other requirement.  If you really want to, you can include special combat buffs in the macro so those get used.  It wouldn't be optimal, but it could simplify any class to 2-6 buttons, not including long-duration buffs.

As far as classes goes, there is no class which is "easy-mode" for PvP.  The abundance of situational-use abilities requires skill to know when to use each one.  At best, you could give your son a tanking spec or long-range spec and let him survive longer.

Thanks again. Any advice on a good simple/straightforward tanking spec for pvp? How does Justicar compare to the warrior souls? I know the other person said they play Justicar but its not a good spec for pvp, but I was thinking in a combo with a chloro, me dumping my auto-heal on him and him dumping it on me, it might make for a good combo for survivability...

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I can't think of an easier rotation than what a Rogue Tactician uses. You can get by spamming 3 torrents (think flamethrower,)1 torrent primer and Empyrian bolt over and over... and the torrents are all a cone AOE. It's fun and very powerful.

Put it together with 8 in Riftstalker to get the "Guardian Phase" (i.e. the tanking toggle) and a splash of Bard for some better self healing and buffs... there is no class with that amount of AOE killing power that is as resistant to attack. A Tactician duoing with a healer chloro is almost unstoppable.

Of course, you do need to have the Storm Legion xpac (or purchase it for ~ $15) to have access to that soul.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    There are a lot of very easy rogue builds where you can macro a number of abilities into 2-3 keys and just hit those over and over until stuff dies.  The best ones would require the SL soul for survivability though.

The Enlightened take things Lightly