Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who wants camping back?

ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I thought about the mechanics of spawn camping vs dungeoning on my feet for the past oh, about 10 years now, I'm kinda ready to just chill at a camp again.

Think about it: you go to an area, group up, pick a campsite and just chill there pulling mobs to your spot. 

Maybe change things up a little from the early days of EQ such as:

1) Kill X mobs in X amount of time quests or "scalp" style turn-in quests

2)Random boss/named spawns

3)Random multi-mob spawns...think you've got the spawn broken?  Put in a random chance for 4 mobs to spawn where 1 normally does.

4)Remember the cool places you used to camp in EQ?  It could be a kitchen, a throne room, a campfire, etc.  Developers could really liven it up with some visually interesting camp spots.

5)"Hold the line" camps where you rain fire on a sea of orcs trying to cross the moat

Honestly none of this would require a massive re-coding of any current MMO.  Pump up the spawns in a given area and let people have at it.  Unlike the days of EQ you could still have the normal quest-quest-quest for exp path of current MMOs; this would just give players another alternate way of gaining levels.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    They need to have all mobs drop loot specific to that mob. Rare spawns need to come back. Put in the gw2 tagging system and everyone gets loot from the mob they hit.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Some of my fondest memories from EQ are of sitting at a rare mob camp spot with a good group, chatting while waiting for that shot at awesome loot.  I'm all for bringing it back.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Um. Whats stopping you from doing that now?

I've done camping when I felt like it in every game I've ever played, including WoW.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I've done camping when I felt like it in every game I've ever played, including WoW.

Nobody want to gimp their progress just to bring back old memories. I'm sure what's being discussed is a game where it's the best viable way to progress for everyone.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

Camping is fun.  I like camps.  I like camp checks.  I like clearing a camp.  I like leveling in camps.  I want camps.

What I don't want is camps that require 8+ hours (and that was once considered short).

Originally posted by StonesDK

Nobody want to gimp their progress just to bring back old memories. I'm sure what's being discussed is a game where it's the best viable way to progress for everyone.

I wasn't gimping my progress.  I was actually doing it for better gear, which is what someone in this thread asked for.

We'll use WoW because it is one most people feel it is useless to mob camp on.  Xp was decent, not as good as quests but still good, coin was decent, and they were named mobs that have higher chances of a rare loot which is why I was camping them.e

edit - if thats what you want to do, go for it.  Asking for more xp, no problem.

But why design a game around that.  There is no best viable way to progress for everyone.  Rather give lots of options as the way to progress IMO.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

It is the absolute least efficient way to level up, the game doesn't encourage or reward it. Thus, no one will group with you if you try it, and thus, you cannot camp.

I wasn't gimping my progress.  I was actually doing it for better gear, which is what someone in this thread asked for.

We'll use WoW because it is one most people feel it is useless to mob camp on.  Xp was decent, not as good as quests but still good, coin was decent, and they were named boss mobs that have higher chances of a rare loot which is why I was camping them.

You are if doing quests is a faster way to progress regardless if you liked what you were doing better

To the OP: I'm not sure I could handle being stationary again but I sure do miss spending a lot of time in one dungeon running into other people not in my group. Not just 30 - 40 min instances, reset, rinse repeat ad nauseam

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

No to having camping be the most viable way to level.

That's boring as hell.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

We'll use WoW because it is one most people feel it is useless to mob camp on.  Xp was decent, not as good as quests but still good, coin was decent, and they were named boss mobs that have higher chances of a rare loot which is why I was camping them.

You are if doing quests is a faster way to progress regardless if you liked what you were doing better

To the OP: I'm not sure I could handle being stationary again but I sure do miss spending a lot of time in one dungeon running into other people not in my group

So unless I am doing the fastest most efficient method of leveling I am gimping my progress?

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    Unfortunately, I can guarantee this will not be making a return anytime soon. MMOs are not made for people like us who played them when they were niche. They are aimed at the mainstream 12-18 year olds who were born on WoW. They don't have the patience to camp. They want linear quest chains that give them gear.
  • MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169

To the OP: I'm not sure I could handle being stationary again but I sure do miss spending a lot of time in one dungeon running into other people not in my group

So unless I am doing the fastest most efficient method of leveling I am gimping my progress?

By definition, yes

Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz
    Unfortunately, I can guarantee this will not be making a return anytime soon. MMOs are not made for people like us who played them when they were niche. They are aimed at the mainstream 12-18 year olds who were born on WoW. They don't have the patience to camp. They want linear quest chains that give them gear.

Apparently neither do the old players. They want the fastest most efficient way to level up, and won't camp unless thats it.

That is the opposite of patience.

Pretty much

Only exception I could think of is progress, that involves specific conditions that takes longer to set up, than what you were already doing. Example : like an AoE group, where you spend hours trying to gather the right people, where you could just as easily sit in one spot and nuke one mob over and over, mounting to the same progress time/effort wise

I often gimp my own progress if I find another playform entertaining than the straight and narrow path everybody else takes, but it is what it is

By definition, yes

Well I guess if you have a rush to end game mentality, that is the way to succeed at it.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Grouping should always be the best exp. period.

Soling should be do able, but not time effecient with low rewards.

Group dungeon crawling, or camp pulling are what made mmos fun.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Grouping should always be the best exp. period.

Soling should be do able, but not time effecient with low rewards.

Group dungeon crawling, or camp pulling are what made mmos fun.

/thread

• DaringDaring Member UncommonPosts: 138
    No way. I remember waiting hours just for a group to camp in FFXI.  Never again.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

lol quests are linear? What do you call sitting at a camp site for 8 hours? I guess it's not linear because linear requires some movement. Camping can be fun, but please don't try to pretend like it's some how a more refined and adult way of grinding.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I never did get to grandmaster camping in UO.

Ok,ok ... but seriously, I have mixed feelngs - I like the idea that after a while of a spawn being killed, a miniboss shows up.  Farming for rare drops is extremely fustrating until suddenly its over ... it's an odd release to seek out.  Camping in spot hoping for a purely random respawn or long-timer-spawn does not appeal to me - I'd rather have a way of finding out when and where to show up. 

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

It is the absolute least efficient way to level up, the game doesn't encourage or reward it. Thus, no one will group with you if you try it, and thus, you cannot camp.

When you get to a point where you can spend most of your time for the day soloing to get a single level. Or sit and camp a spor for the same time, while socializing and doing all sorts of stuff that is less intense. Then it starts to makes sense. 

Or in case you are dependant on a group, well I suppose it gets rewarding a little later on... unless everyone needs drops from the camped boss.

Or if the is an actual economy in the game and you can trade drops.. Well if you can solo a boss or duo it or got a tight little group. Then it can make sense to farm it something so you can trade it to buy something you cannot farm.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

nah .. i am glad those days are over.

Camping is boring to me. I play a game for gameplay, not for waiting around doing nothing or chatting.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Nah we need something new and different.

IMO most people got tired of camping back in the day and now people are tired of  static quest hubs etc.I don't think the answer is going backwards in time.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Nah we need something new and different.

IMO most people got tired of camping back in the day and now people are tired of  static quest hubs etc.I don't think the answer is going backwards in time.

Yeh. May be Destiny and Division is the way to go. Or may be the market is going to be fragmented into online ARPGs, MOBA, pvp instance games, and so on.

I highly doubt asking players to camp will be successful today. Personally that was the reason i quit EQ, and the lack of camping is the reason i came back to MMORPGs.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by WellzyC     Grouping should always be the best exp. period.     Soling should be do able, but not time effecient with low rewards.   Group dungeon crawling, or camp pulling are what made mmos fun.
    /thread

ah man. memories. spin groups in swg were fun. crazy xp. dead pikets everywhere.