Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: In-game Store and Movie Update

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

World of Warcraft's big revelation this past week is that, indeed, an in-game item store will be making its way to the game in the future (just maybe way down the line). In our latest WoW Factor, we offer a few thoughts about that as well as update you on the World of Warcraft movie in the making. Read on!

Whenever a new build of an upcoming patch hits the Private Test Realm, the WoW community devours it, trying to data mine as much as they possibly can for juicy bits of goodness. Sometimes the discoveries will make it through to the shipment of the patch or be cut beforehand. Sometimes what the community finds are remnants of features from long ago or the bones of something coming far down the pipeline. The PTR’s are very fluid and things can and and always will be in flux so when interesting discoveries are made, we must always take them with a grain of salt. Recently however, data miners discovered something a little more unique - an in-game store. 

Read more of Reza Lackey's World of Warcraft: In-game Store and Movie Update.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I've pretty much given up any desire to see a Warcraft movie now.... four years ago I'd be first in line but with the movie AFAIK not even in pre-production and a movie probably taking 2 years to complete unless Blizzard released WC4 around the same time it's going straight to DVD.
  • ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

Meh, I hate leveling and WoW's only real strength (imo) compared to other MMOs is its endgame so I'd welcome a possibility to buy an xp-potion.

Not worried if they add it and not disappointed if they don't add it to the EU/US market.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I'm still excited to see what they come up with
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    All they need now is to sign on Uwe Boll to direct!

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Haha!

Regardless of people hating to level, what will they do in a game that is not yet fully constructed to entertain people in endgame?

Still so many people reroll on a constant basis.

This is so half-baked...

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'd love to see the movie and I'd definitely play the game again if it went FTP. I'm really hoping this cash shop setup is just them milking sub + shop for as long as they can before going FTP. I know sub + shop is shockingly bad of them.. and I hope everyone rejects it because then it'll go FTP quicker.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I'd love to see the movie and I'd definitely play the game again if it went FTP. I'm really hoping this cash shop setup is just them milking sub + shop for as long as they can before going FTP. I know sub + shop is shockingly bad of them.. and I hope everyone rejects it because then it'll go FTP quicker.

Haven't they had a cash shop for a couple years now?  Isn't that what brought about the great sparkle pony debate of 2009?

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by expresso
    I've pretty much given up any desire to see a Warcraft movie now.... four years ago I'd be first in line but with the movie AFAIK not even in pre-production and a movie probably taking 2 years to complete unless Blizzard released WC4 around the same time it's going straight to DVD.

Your gonna go watch it day one no matter when it comes out

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

While I may not be thrilled with Cata and MoP and as a result have since stopped playing, I would totally go see a WoW movie. The fantasy movie genre just doesn't have many offerings (LOTR, Harry Potter - that's pretty much it unless you count terrible 80's movie Ugh Krull).

If EQN really does reinvent the genre as has been claimed and we all collectively poop our pants, then I don't see even an expansion bring WoW back.

But if EQN pulls a GW2 and over-sells some hype about a highly interactive world, WoW will still have legs and all it takes is one really good expansion to bring people rushing back.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by Vannor

Haven't they had a cash shop for a couple years now?  Isn't that what brought about the great sparkle pony debate of 2009?

Well yeh. but it hardly had anything in it. Looks like they are starting to make it similar to a typical ftp cash shop to me.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by Rusque

While I may not be thrilled with Cata and MoP and as a result have since stopped playing, I would totally go see a WoW movie. The fantasy movie genre just doesn't have many offerings (LOTR, Harry Potter - that's pretty much it unless you count terrible 80's movie Ugh Krull).

If EQN really does reinvent the genre as has been claimed and we all collectively poop our pants, then I don't see even an expansion bring WoW back.

But if EQN pulls a GW2 and over-sells some hype about a highly interactive world, WoW will still have legs and all it takes is one really good expansion to bring people rushing back.

OOOOOH helllllllll nooo.

You did not just insult Krull!

Other 80's movies? Like Willow? LadyHawke? Dragonslayer? Clash of the Titans? Time Bandits? Labyritnth? Beastmaster, Conan the Barbarian, The Dark Crystal, Neverending Story, The Black Cauldron, The Last Unicorn. Chronicles of Narnia,  Many others that fall under the fantasy genre. Think thats good enough though.

Son, you don't know what the heck your talking about.

Don't get me wrong I love me some Lord of the Rings and the Potter but these movies stand on the shoulders of giants. These movies made my childhood and gave so many people things to dream and inspire them.

These "80's movies" had far better stories and characters then the crapfest that comes out these days filled to the brim with CGI.

NOT TO MENTION!!!! That most of the fantasy movies that are coming out are re-makes or inspired from the "80's movies" from before. Can't believe any child of the 80's would utter such blatant ignorance to amazing movies...UGH!!!

Oh yeah and as to the topic.... WoW movie. I would watch just hoping they would do the Warcraft 3 story.  They need to do that or make a new original story. As to the cash shop? Blizzard has been trying to find ways into your pocket for ages...nothing new.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by MondoA2J
    Originally posted by Rusque

OOOOOH helllllllll nooo.

You did not just insult Krull!

Other 80's movies? Like Willow? LadyHawke? Dragonslayer? Clash of the Titans? Time Bandits? Labyritnth? Beastmaster, Conan the Barbarian, The Dark Crystal, Neverending Story, The Black Cauldron, The Last Unicorn. Chronicles of Narnia,  Many others that fall under the fantasy genre. Think thats good enough though.

Son, you don't know what the heck your talking about.

Don't get me wrong I love me some Lord of the Rings and the Potter but these movies stand on the shoulders of giants. These movies made my childhood and gave so many people things to dream and inspire them.

These "80's movies" had far better stories and characters then the crapfest that comes out these days filled to the brim with CGI.

NOT TO MENTION!!!! That most of the fantasy movies that are coming out are re-makes or inspired from the "80's movies" from before. Can't believe any child of the 80's would utter such blatant ignorance to amazing movies...UGH!!!

^ This. One million times over.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    and so mighty WoW fall. 
  • deviltheorydeviltheory Member Posts: 33
    Cash shop's are usually an indicator of a game going F2P soon.  Though I can't say for sure with WoW, they may have lost millions of players but they still have more than enough to stay profitable with subs (even if half of them are bots).  I retried it a little bit ago after being gone since TBC (they offer a free trial of Cata for returning players), and I gotta say it was kinda fun playing my old toons again.  So many systems have changed though it was kinda daunting trying to catch up with everything.
  • RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327

Does anyone really care anymore?

This was a huge missing of the boat. By the time the movie comes out, WoW will be full blown F2P, down to maybe 5 million players (half of which being Farmers)

The thrill and excitement of it will be gone as we plug directly into our pre frontal cortex for the next wave of mmo's

Just my opinion, although I guess it took a heck of a long time to make Lord of the Rings after it was a huge sensation., maybe I'll be wrong

• SeorynSeoryn Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Learning about what's going on between Vivendi and Activision-Blizzard, it feels like Blizzard is getting kicked from both the dudes upstairs and the players downstairs, and that has to be a cruddy position to be in. Hopefully, though, if this nonsense puts them in a financial disaster, they won't tank their own game as a result. Or someone will make an offer to buy them, before that happens. Fingers crossed, 'cause, I'd like to not see it explode in their face, if only until another MMO comes out that has the same level of detail and developer dedication.
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Shadin

Meh, I hate leveling and WoW's only real strength (imo) compared to other MMOs is its endgame so I'd welcome a possibility to buy an xp-potion.

Paying money to avoid playing a game that you've paid money to play is like walking around with a big "kick me and take my wallet" sign on your back.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Seems like the standard "WoW is dying" and "WoW will go Free to Play" crowd is fully represented here.  Odd how you guys have been saying these things for 8 years now...

You'd think you'd learn a new phrase.

• RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Seems like the standard "WoW is dying" and "WoW will go Free to Play" crowd is fully represented here.  Odd how you guys have been saying these things for 8 years now...

You'd think you'd learn a new phrase.

Not so true, I just started to say it as of when this was announced http://www.gamespot.com/news/blizzard-exploring-micro-transactions-for-world-of-warcraft-6411086 It won't be overnight, but sadly it will happen. Although I don't believe WoW is anywhere close to dying, just metamorphosing ... reeeeally slowly

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Tierless
    I hear the WOW movies is going to ruin the fantasy genre...

Lord of the Rings already did that.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I always find it funny when any news at all comes out about WoW, everyone here takes a negative spin on it.  Next month WoW could gain 2 million players, and people would say something like "Now there's too many people playing!" or "Blizzard is going under because they have to support 2 million more players" lol.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

Movie will likely be terri-bad so I am not excited for it.  Whether or not I go see it will be based on reviews just like any other movie.

It is frankly amazing that people are willing to pay a subscription and then also have an item store that requires you to spend more money if you want the items.  I remember when we first got the pet store and people were arguing slippery slope and against saying it was a fallacy.   Yet the game continues to slide down that slope and the players are slipping right with it.

• AysonoAysono Member Posts: 164

What WoW movie? When? Where? What story? Who are the stars? (orcs? or goblins?)

Will that movie come out before Titan?

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by Aysono

What WoW movie? When? Where? What story? Who are the stars? (orcs? or goblins?)

Will that movie come out before Titan?

The sun will go supernova and bake this rock before Titan comes out.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I just don't get the point of adding exp. boosts into the game would be? It's so easy to level now that it's ridiculous.

Smile