Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Wushu movie OR World of Warcraft movie. Which will be bigger? go!

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I think the Age of Wushu movie will be gross more than the WoW movie as long as the Age of Wushu spokesperson, Jet Li stars in it. Jet Li movies have grossed close to 2.5 billion world wide. 

I think the time for a WoW movie has passed by about 3 years. I will watch it along with other gamers, but Martial arts fans around the world will watch a Jet Li Age of Wushu film!

Show me some way a WoW movie could possible gross more!

Edit - Come on guys... What's the last good video game movie you've seen? Mortal Combat? There has never been a good video game movie!!!! I'm betting on Jet.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Age of Wushu? who? 

Obviously World of Warcraft. This is no brainer.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Age of Wushu? who? 

Were talking worldwide now. Remember Wushu has more players than WoW worldwide, PLUS there are more martial arts fans than mmorpg gamers.

You gonna take you girl to go see a WoW movie or a movie staring Jet Li, like Hero?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Despite his popularity in Asia, none of Jet Li's movie is anywhere close to a US blockbuster.

And there are plenty of martial arts movies made in HK & China. Age of Wushu would not stand out in anyway.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i wont vote because i dont care which movie will be bigger, ill definitelly watch both but im only excited about a warcraft movie.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Despite his popularity in Asia, none of Jet Li's movie is anywhere close to a US blockbuster.

And there are plenty of martial arts movies made in HK & China. Age of Wushu would not stand out in anyway.

Hero grossed almost 200 million worldwide. Jet Li is averaging a little over 200 million gross per film.

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

While I agree that Blizzard missed their prime window of opportunity for the WoW movie (2008 - 2010 in my opinion), I can imagine that they will make it appeal to the fantasy audience (ie. Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit), not just people who play / played WoW. 

That being the case, I would think that the WoW movie will do quite well, particularly in the West. 

Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Hero grossed almost 200 million worldwide. Jet Li is averaging a little over 200 million gross per film.

Not really. Even movies like Fearless (which is great) does not gross anything close to 200M.

Plus, 200M ww is small potential compared to US blockbuster. Iron man 3 made more than $1.2B.

200M would deem a flop for a tentpole (like Superman Returns).

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Age of Wushu? who? 

Were talking worldwide now. Remember Wushu has more players than WoW worldwide, PLUS there are more martial arts fans than mmorpg gamers.

You gonna take you girl to go see a WoW movie or a movie staring Jet Li, like Hero?

Wushu has 10+ million players world wide? and also you really under estimating WOW in terms of it popularity in Asian market. 

I know you are huge AOW fan but don't let that cloud the reality here.

My girl has no interest in Asian martial art movie, she prefers good old fantasy and hack and slash anyday.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

it would be real hard for WOW movie to "fail". even if it turns real crap, it would still make bucks. but if blizz has any say about it, it will be at least decent.

as for Wushu, it really depends on how's it done, but it will never be "blockbuster". i doubt there is enough mass behind it.

Originally posted by Xssiv

While I agree that Blizzard missed their prime window of opportunity for the WoW movie (2008 - 2010 in my opinion), I can imagine that they will make it appeal to the fantasy audience (ie. Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit), not just people who play / played WoW. 

That being the case, I would think that the WoW movie will do quite well, particularly in the West. 

You know that's a very good point. They would have to use real actors for this, I would think. Isn't the WoW movie supposed to be cinematic? I think it would take a lot to market WoW to the Lotor (none gaming people). The lore of WoW is not nearly as well know.

If they could do what you said though, pull from outside the gaming community, yeah it could do very well.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Hero did we on it's own merit....they could have put Airplane Jones in it and still made the same money....Jet Li was just along for the ride.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I think a WoW movie will do better in China than an AoW will do in North America.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

I KNEW who the OP was as soon as I saw the title!

I don't like to throw around the word "fanboi" but holy Asian carp is he one. Silly posts after silly post about this game. Trying to hard mate. Your crush is very niche and not for most. Give it up (unless you are being payed to do this then go for it, easy money right?).

"Show me some way a WoW movie could possible gross more!" Easy: WoW Movie. A movie about WoW. WoW; the most successful MMO ever. Turned into a movie. A movie NOT about some Asian MMO most have never heard of. A Movie Based On WoW.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    is this a trick question?

Age of Wushu? who? 

Wushu has 10+ million players world wide? and also you really under estimating WOW in terms of it popularity in Asian market. 

My girl has no interest in Asian martial art movie, she prefers good old fantasy and hack and slash anyday.

Wushu has 15-20 million players worldwide. This link says more than 20 million. I have seen snailgames say 15 million+ somewhere.

Wushu has 15-20 million players worldwide. This link says more than 20 million. I have seen snailgames say 15 million+ somewhere.

Even if every single player is buying a $10 ticket, it will only be $200m.

You need to get the non-MMO players into theaters for a true blockbuster. Look at all the marvel movies. Do you think they are only getting comic book fans?

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Age of Wushu? who? 

If your link is correct, and I kinda doubt it is since it's not actually a news site, just a site to release press releases that can be made up, I would be shocked. Really shocked. 20 million just in China? That is just the number of people that signed up not actual players of course. But still. That is impressive. I tried the game in Beta but couldn't play it more than 30 minutes. God awful.. everything. But I don't go for the Asian Grinder thing either.

WoW movie would still be bigger though.image

EDIT: BTW before I get flamed or Modded I'm not hating on BCBully at all. I know how it is to REALLY like something that few do. White Knight and all that. I got burned on TOR though big time (still think it's a good MMO but not nowhere near what it could/should have been). Just saying.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Correct me if I'm wrong, but has any high fantasy movie besides the Lord of the Rings series actually done that well at the box office?

Action > Fantasy, hands down.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Only nerds will watch WoW, while action fans, Jet Li fans, and Age of Wushu fans will watch a Jet LI AoW movie.

MurderHerd

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Age of Wushu? who? 

I did see "in china" over and over again though.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Age of Wushu? who? 

Jason statham would put the hurt on Jet Li... He has been doing movies a let less time than Jet Li and is far more popular in the martial arts world.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

@above hope they get him too!

Idk guys 9 million WoW gamers ain't much compared to the Wushu Jet Li Martial Arts movie army! image

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Idk guys 9 million WoW gamers ain't much compared to the Wushu Jet Li Martial Arts movie army! image

IM pretty sure WoW has more registered players than age of wushu (been out longet). And that is enough to go spend a few bucks out of curiosity to see the movie of a game you once tried.

Originally posted by austriacus

IM pretty sure WoW has more registered players than age of wushu (been out longet). And that is enough to go spend a few bucks out of curiosity to see the movie of a game you once tried.

You're pretty wrong. Age of Wushu 15-20 million players. So your gonna have to come with a better scenario that that image

My guildie said if WoW had Russel Crow as Arthas and James Earl Jones as the voice of his father, and some celeb lady as Janna it could be big. That's the best WoW scenario I've heard thus far image That's kinda Epic. "No MORE!!!!"

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    what will be bigger, cheesburger or suchi ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"