Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Player Made Warfronts Coming Soon?

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

This week, RIFT's Creative Director, Bill Fisher, joined the MMORPG.com podcast to discuss the recent transition to free-to-play and answer a series of reader-submitted questions. In discussing the dimension system, Bill dropped a bombshell: the next addition to dimensions may be player-made warfronts.

“There's one really big thing in the works and a lot of little things,” he explained. “One of the really big things that's in the works is . . . allowing people to kind of make their own warfronts, or whatnot, within their own dimensions.”

Trion has heard player's requests for more inventive, customizable PvP, and more varied uses for dimensions. “A lot of people have said they want to have their own 5v5 tournaments, they want to have their own 10v10s, whatever they want to do, we're looking at making that possible.” Should the design come to fruition, Bill described a system where players set re-spawn points and rule sets with using simple building blocks within the already powerful dimension editor.

He cautions listeners that nothing is set in stone. “We have a lot of crazy ideas,” he explains. “We look at a lot of suggestions from the players and we go 'can we pull this off in a reasonable time frame at a quality level we're going to be happy with?' and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.” Still, the enthusiasm in his voice was palpable and one could conclude that this is something that RIFT's Creative Director is excited about.

Bill answers many more questions on a wide range of topics throughout the interview and it is well worth a listen. Stay tuned to MMORPG and your question might be the next one we ask!

(News post courtesy of Game On's Christopher Coke.)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    first they should fix thier game engine
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    The graphics/game engine is one of the worst I have ever seen. They should focus on that first!
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

So Trion has "heard player's request for more inventive, customisable PvP"...

How comes they don't hear the player's request for better performance or better animations? Both go on for years already.

• pekshmaerpekshmaer Member Posts: 58
    Do you guys know how game engine work and what is that?  If you dont like graphic you have all around benchs or some cool FPS games with sega mega graphic or even better ..buy console :) I dont like your avatar , what now ? First change avatar than come here to talk..non sense. What is tittle ahaa ..talk about that. Just mu 2 cents..

hmm

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 786
    Optimization was a big issue in the interview and Bill talks about it in the interview. They have a team working on it right now. The interview was based on player questions, so if you're concerned about something there's a good chance we talk about it. 
  • KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by GameByNight
    Optimization was a big issue in the interview and Bill talks about it in the interview. They have a team working on it right now. The interview was based on player questions, so if you're concerned about something there's a good chance we talk about it. 

Hope thats the case, CPU bootleneck was always the major problem with the game. No mater how good GPU you had game would always lag behind because CPUs are not fast enough (even if you OC new i7`s by 50%)

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    I remember mentioning optimization in the Planetside 2 forums and being met with "NU AN BETTA PUTER NOOB!" And that game is far far worst optimized, yet generally accepted as so.. Rift runs on my old ass PC Maxed on and largely at a full 60 fps but no one has used the betta puter bit yet?
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 786
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I don't think we'll see them soon if they can even work out the details.  That is a lot to add and they already have a full plate.  I do hope they do get around to making it work and that they keep adding more systems like this.  Like he said in the interview, there are certain limitations based on the inherent design of the game (e.g.: there will never be true RvR in the game), but they do have a lot of room to add more sandbox-style elements to the game to give it greater depth.

This isn't saying much but I'm optimistic that we'll see them come to the game. They made a public statement that they were working on it. MMO devs tend to be pretty cagey if they're not confident they can follow though.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    I was hoping for content. PvP in Rift has always been blah... More development time spent on it is a disappointment to me. 
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Glad im not the only one terrified by the games appearance upon log in.

I honestly was turned off by how ugly it was. lol

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    the more stuff they add without fixing the engine the worst its going to run....

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    someone make a rift moba!
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Originally posted by saurus123
    first they should fix thier game engine

Gamebryo is a perfectly good engine.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

... graphics... major concern for people... *facepalm* Oh boy how primitive a gamer's needs have come where graphics are more important then gameplay. Seriously? 

Don't get me wrong, it could use some optimization, granted its a difficult task to really accomplish if its deep seeded in the code, but when people just shrug off NEW IDEAS BEING CREATIVE TRYING TO CREATE SOMETHING NEW I really feel the games industry has gone down the drain of mediocrity because of YOU. Players who want better graphics over innovation just helps to turn the game market into the far weaker industry with much less impressive titles we see today. Its why we see more 'generic, no risk game titles' all the time.

Sorry for the rant, if you can't tell I get annoyed seeing the very talk that has helped to turn the game industry into the hallow shell it once was.

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298

Since it went Free to play, i've been playing this game again to see where the company is taking it and how much effort they plan to put into this new project. Up to this point, following a few twitch.tv streams they did im yet to understand anything but in the first two weeks this company had fixes every damn day , to the point of them being annoying and not letting players to play. I appreciated the effort they did with population placement and opening new shards for overcrowded areas.

It is true that the game needs SO MUCH polishing. From combat to animations, network enhancement and various ingame system which often lead to glitches in video and sound. There is lots of work for them to do and for now im just enjoying the rift system and endgame rift hunts. Keep up the good work Trion!

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

It's obvious with Conquest they wanted to try and deliver something to make the pvp crowd happy. 

False.

The number one PvP community request was meaningful open world PvP, not another instanced battleground regardless of the number of factions.

Conquest was a desperate attempt to put in 3 team PvP before the release of GW2.  They werent going after the existing PvP community, instead they went after the very large group of people waiting on a game with 3 team PvP.