Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you accept a totally free to play mmo? - with adverts

JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Absolutely no fees at all. Download and play every part of it. Shop items bought only through in game currency.

- but the game cost is subsidized by adverts - either through product placement, signage etc. Or through actual adverts at character sign on, or during flight.

Would you play..........?

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Yup, as long as they aren't intrusive to actual gameplay.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

In theory, yes. As long as it wasn't like "The Taco Bell Sword of Destruction".

However, such a thing could probably never work. There wouldn't be enough money brought in to cover the cost of a high quality AAA product. Look at movies. They add product placement, along with selling ad space through the form of previews, to help cover the cost and they sell the movie to viewers, even then it isn't rare to see a movie not make back its cost (and major games like AAA MMOs are already rivaling the cost of movie production).

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I generally dislike ads in games. And the moment a game that is primarily funded by ads is made is the moment a game with ads, box price, sub, and cash shop is made. They don't comprehend the concept of overkill, they'll squeeze every cent out of you if given the chance.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    no, I don't want to see advertisements in my games.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    No, I can play several titles right now totally free with no adverts, prefer to keep it that way.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

However, such a thing could probably never work. There wouldn't be enough money brought in to cover the cost of a high quality AAA product.

Works great for tv. TV dramas costs like $2M an episode to make. A season is like $40M .. not unlike MMO budgets.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    They did this as part of anarchy onlines f2p model(not sure if they still do).  I actually found it a decent feature rather than intrusive and would stop to watch film trailers.  Not sure how this would work in a sword and sorcery mmo though, maybe a magic mirror movie trailer :).  However,  I doubt most mmo devs/marketers would now bother working such advertising into a game properly rather than just dropping it in in the form of product placement i.e. an stamina boost cola drink, go faster nike trainers to go with your full plate armour and so on.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Depends how good the game is. If I were to try one and the gameplay was crap, fuggedaboutit. If it's good, I keep playing. If the ads interfere with playing, I'm out. Passing a billboard or a sign on a wall isn't a problem. Traveling to Iron Forge, no problem. Traveling to Verizon Iron Forge in SafeCo Mountain... that's pushing it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Depends on the setting, for something current like The Secret World, or futuristic like Champions Online, sure. They already have billboards plastered all over the place with fake adverts anyway. For fantasy settings, probably not. It would just look tacky.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Depends on the setting, for something current like The Secret World, or futuristic like Champions Online, sure. They already have billboards plastered all over the place with fake adverts anyway. For fantasy settings, probably not. It would just look tacky.

You mean you wouldn't stop in a McDonald's in Lions Arch (GW2) for some McRaptor Wings?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    I've got no problem in principle but it would depend on the game. Roadside billboards and well known brands of shops and diners such as Mc Donalds would fit in fine with games set in the present day or future but would look a bit silly in a swords and scorcery fantasy mmo.
  • dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185

Yes.

I have complained that this was an untapped venue for quite a while.  It works for TV and boosts movies quite a bit, why not games?

• Jairoe03Jairoe03 Member Posts: 732

It's a big no and I would hope the general audience wouldn't entirely accept it, especially ones that have seen Idiocracy. It might be a ridiculous movie but strangely it feels like its slowly becoming a sad reality.

The other thing too is how I despise the advertising industry in general. Don't get me wrong, I can see where it is actually useful but I believe its abused and exploited to a degree beyond its original intention. Anyone's career that is revolved around subtly manipulating others to do things that they originally wouldn't do or necessarily need is something I generally don't trust.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    No, I hate advertisements the most. It will get in the way of my immersion of the game. P2P with no ads or cash shops is the best.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    If the best game ever does have a $70 box tag, $20 subscription, a cashshop and ingame adds popping up, people will still play

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Absolutely no fees at all. Download and play every part of it. Shop items bought only through in game currency.

- but the game cost is subsidized by adverts - either through product placement, signage etc. Or through actual adverts at character sign on, or during flight.

Not in a medieval or fantasy scenario. But in  modern day or future scenario. There the devs could litter the game world with ad screens and the like. Just imagine you are driving through the city and see all the adverts.

I'd have no tolerance for pop up windows / menu windows with ads and loading screens with ads, though.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Yes I would however advertising revenue is not high enough to cover the cost of players playing....
  • AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

I would even go so far to put an Intel CPU into my space ship. Just think about the battles! Linux vs Windows vs iOs.

You could then take it a step further and make special in game ads like "The battle of Xyz was won with the new Intel 1234. Now at an item printer near you"

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

It would depend on how intrusive the advertising would be, but without knowing at this point I'd be inclined to say probably not. Most You tube videos or news article videos that display an add first, I'll generally close the page rather than let the add play to watch the video.

There is far too much advertising in my face already and I'm against it.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Adverts are fine as long as they aren't pop up type that force you to watch it, i hate that type.

I interest in how they will put adverts in this kind of game ,

Something like Mcdonald's Tavern or Shell shield wasn't bad name , i find those kind of name are funny lol.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I hate ads, but I'd consider it if the game was really good and there weren't McDonald's deals on every load screen, etc.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542

It would take a genius to do this right.

Hate to say that, but once one failed doctor of literature was an orator and propagandist. Once he made a leaflet - "the Emperor of the US speaks in Berlin!". Of course, US has no Emperor -never had- but it attracted attention and people actually read this leaflet. Goal was achieved (and emperor title was never again used by him).

That's the history. Now, up to games. It would take a long study, psychological and financial one, to introduce ads in non-intrusive manner. I recall one Russiant MMORPG. They introduced "City of the Masters" where the best non-cash shop shield could be crafted. But not before this town was liberated from hordes of enemies could players take advantage of this. Town was very nice-looking, all made from bricks, red flags with "M" letter ("Master") flying above each tower. And it became clear it was an add for one hosting company (would not mention its name so as not to advertise). That was sword-and-slash fantasy game...but the ad was not too intrusive.

However, it is difficult for me to imagine something like this in Western games. McTown? KFC-laser canon? Dell armor? Intel sword? Nokia battle cruiser? And what good ads are if no one clicks on them? Just impressions show? How to make it usefull and unintrusive? If you have medieval town where crafter sell crossbows and repair shields - how would McDOnalds look like? 

The only thing I could think about is postapocalypse world. World, where some technology remained and players could pick Nokia or Googlephones, smart or non smart ones, maybe find somer preserved burger and drive that quality [insert name] car.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

I'd truly rather just pay a modest subscription and have no adverts, no cash shop, no "convenience" items... just a single payment that directly supports the game I enjoy playing in return for everything within that game.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Would I?  Yeah, I have no problem with ads as long as the publisher doesn't mind that I ignore them.

On the other side, such a game would still need a cash shop.  The "pay to go faster" crowd couldn't deal with not having one.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Sure, I wouldn't mind. Most MMOs already have loading screens which are basically ads for the game anyway.

The least intrusive ones I've seen so far, on memory, are those for FFXI and FFXIVl; the first one is blank except for a 'loading' notice in the bottom right of the screen, while the second announces in grand text the name of the zone you are entering - and it even allows you to use your chatbox to talk to others while you wait with no interruption. Something like this latter feature would be a welcome bit of compensation for the ads if such a game ever existed.