Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

You know an MMO is doomed when...

Comments

• NaowutNaowut MusselkanaalPosts: 647Member Uncommon
    When 98% of you think it's a good game.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by Naowut
    When 98% of you think it's a good game.

I would be astonished if 10% of this crowd ever agreed on one game.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ariestearieste toronto, ONPosts: 3,308Member Common
    "From the brilliant mind of Brad McQuaid..."

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2
    Currently Playing: EQ2, Firefall

• klagmireklagmire fenton, MIPosts: 94Member
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Tierless

(FYI yes this just happened and the example of a bad game was always SWTOR)

Really? I would have assumed the Haters just moved on by now.

You have to admire the dedication?

I will never move on, They cancelled a superior awsome MMO like SWG, to put out a console game like SWTOR. Yes I said console, because SwTOR is like riding on rails and the trainwreck is the engine.

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser ParisPosts: 1,873Member

When you read stuff like 'X MMO is going to kill WOW' or 'We are surely going to maintain 500K subscriber base after first month' and my personal favorite 'This MMO will never go FZP".

We all know how this ends up in couple of months.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• klagmireklagmire fenton, MIPosts: 94Member
    When your progressing up the levels and everyone in the area looks the same. Same armor  and same weaopns.

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

Originally posted by klagmire
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Tierless

(FYI yes this just happened and the example of a bad game was always SWTOR)

Really? I would have assumed the Haters just moved on by now.

You have to admire the dedication?

I will never move on, They cancelled a superior awsome MMO like SWG, to put out a console game like SWTOR. Yes I said console, because SwTOR is like riding on rails and the trainwreck is the engine.

LucasArts doesn't even exist any more. You're not even raging at the right people.

Well, don't let details stand in the way of good drama. Carry on.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GrixxittGrixxitt New Orleans, LAPosts: 543Member

- You realize that you're proficiency as a player is a function of your character's gear

- You need to PvE in order to be viable in PvP (or vice versa)

- The devs tell you that you're gonna love it because it's going to be just like World of Warcraft, but better

- There's noone and nothing to fight against

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Star CItyPosts: 294Member
    it contains the words ' Star Wars ' .
  • ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common
    Originally posted by Khorian
    The developers say: "The story is gonna be awesome and revolves around YOU!"

QFT.  Nothing kills the excitement over an MMO to me more than the design company touting its creative writing team and how they are crafting stories (pre-destinies) for the players.

Now, given that, I'm all about lore, faction, and events, but have absolutely no use for artificial personal storylines.  Your story should be your gaming experience, but your gaming experience should not be a pre-crafted story.

• ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common
    Originally posted by klagmire
    When your progressing up the levels and everyone in the area looks the same. Same armor  and same weaopns.

That's also a sign of a game being too easy (i.e., everyone maxes out, has the same epic gear, etc...).

• jazz.bejazz.be Sint-NiklaasPosts: 820Member Uncommon

When there are more haters than lovers.

It's simply true. Global opinion counts, AND it affects the game's health.

When Warhammer came out they didn't offer an official forum. Probably for this reason.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

When watching videos of the game turns out to be as exciting or more exciting than playing the game itself.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TygranirTygranir Colordo Springs, COPosts: 741Member
    An MMO is doomed when people are asking about endgame and the game in question is a sandbox...

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148 1, NJPosts: 6,690Member

1. You hear the term "Revolutuionary"

2. When it is marketed for the casuals

3. When most do not like the game.

4. Game is too easy.

5. Tons of fedex quests.

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Your story should be your gaming experience, but your gaming experience should not be a pre-crafted story.

I'm not sure modern MMO producers have enough roleplay experience to create lore without Mary Sue. Most of their audience certainly doesn't; from their POV, why go through that extra trouble?

Creating a back story requires more time and creativity (and paying better writers) than producers typically want to invest; we want to roll this game out in time for [console release] [Christmas] [Before Blizzard] [etc.]...

Rush to market, throw in a cash shop and some mobs, minimalist extras, no content. You have 18 months. Go!

We'll just rent or copy someone else's IP, easy peasy.

Or do a Sony; just keep re-issuing the same one.

• RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVPosts: 2,229Member Uncommon
    When the feature list sounds too good to be true.
  • ArakaziArakazi OxfordPosts: 889Member
    When one of the devs says the immortal words, "We have listened to our playerbase"
  • ZadawnZadawn SPosts: 651Member Common
    when it sucks.

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    When it releases P2P post-2006 without some kind of massive fanbase behind it, and even then that's not a certainty (ie: SWTOR).
  • ArakaziArakazi OxfordPosts: 889Member
    When it has 75% off on steam.
  • RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVPosts: 2,229Member Uncommon

When chat is filled with people talking about (aka bashing) WoW.

As long as those people are still comparing things and talking about WoW, you know that game just isn't destined for greatness.

If the game has an active chat filled with topical in-game related discussion, it might just be an interesting game.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Champaign, ILPosts: 1,559Member Uncommon
    The forum moderator is the only one defending the game.

• toddzetoddze no where, OKPosts: 2,155Member
    Originally posted by JeremyBowyer
    ...you're told that it caters to everybody's playstyle.

A lot of good ones in this thread but for me I think this is the dead give away the game is going to suck. Playstyles are different because people like different things, and 90% of the time those different things do not mix in one game, trying to do so just pisses both sides off. I have preached, pick a crowd and make a game for them. I always salute games that do that, even if its not my style. I am still waiting for my hardcore PvE group centric MMO, FFXI-2 "can I have it"

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• xmentyxmenty SingaporePosts: 679Member
    The art style and gameplay can tell you the quality of the MMO. 

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)