Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm desperately trying to find appealing MMORPG, but it's not working for me...

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

I love all around AAA MMORPG's but it seems like that's not possible anymore. What's worst is how all the things I look for in a MMORPG' are missing.

#1 Being able to become powerful or choose my own, distinguishing path (role) in a MMO Role PG.

#2 MMORPG is not overun by exploiters. abusers or any activety where players obtain things that the game has not intended them to obtain and even if they do at least I want to see swift, harsh actions being taken by the company.

#3 Being able to progress my single character in some beneficial way, regardless if I choose to play the game in the morning, afternoon, any day of the week. I want to have meaningful things to do to keep me entertained, without being forced to depend on others. I love being part of a big, multiplayer world, but one that allows the freedom for a player to become something more, given the set of skills, gear etc.

Ultima Online and SWG, both of these MMORPG's in the past have given me an epic, meaningul and truly immersive experience. It looks like most likely I'll be going back to WOW soon. I will have a limited experience, but I still believe is the best option until something else comes later this year...

Comments

• GreezGreez Member Posts: 103
    There are some things out there that are the reborn relics of the past, but a past you have enjoyed, rather than the broken wrecks of the present. Those are better options, IMO, than playing what WoW has become. I can say no more.
  • shockwaved1shockwaved1 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    do u like world shooters?
  • ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Try EVE Online. Get a buddy trial (just ask) so you can poke around in it for 3 weeks. A warning: It's not for everyone, as it's basically a relatively slow, long term single-unit RTS game rather than your standard MMO gameplay. It's also a sandbox, rather than a themepark, though this fits with your wishes.

1) Easily covered. Be a miner, be a pirate, be an emperor or a villain. Be a spy, a trader, an economic plague. Be a revolutionairy, a freedom fighter or a staunch imperialist. Be a grunt in a war involving over 50,000 players, or be the admiral commanding its fleets. Cause the war in the first place by some well-placed, shady activities... The only limit is your imagination. There are no pre-set goals in EVE, your only limit is your creativity and imagination.

2) EVE is "fairly" safe. It's difficult to really cheat in the game since it revolves around preperation much, MUCH more than execution. There's no 'all in one' ship you can fly, each and every ship is vulnerable to at least 3 other kinds of ships when solo'ing. The game revolves around groups, solo play is possible but absolutely not recommended, especially if you're trying to find your way around. Exploits can be found, but rarely affect you directly and even if you're involved you can just shake it off if you know what to do.

3) EVE allows for this in spades, though i would recommend a group to play with once more. You can be productive in some way or another regardless of what you want to or can do. Trading can be done for an hour a day while still making adecent profit. Run a mission or two, refuel some POS or put some research or manufacturing in the oven. You can even just run by some forums and gather information, do some exploring, join a PvP op for an hour - No group i know in the game makes a big issue if you have to leave early, RL comes first.

All 3 points work even better because there's only 1 game world (not counting China which is seperate due to RL political reasons). No choosing servers, and reputation sticks with you throughout your character's life. The butterfly effect really exists in EVE - Almost everything you do has an impact on SOMEone SOMEwhere else in the game. Even when trying to play solo you're contributing to (or detracting from) the game world, as npc's play a relatively minor role compared to almost every other MMO (even UO).

IF you really like UO and SWG, EVE is really worth a shot imho. Get in it with some friends, or find some while playing, and you'll be set for quite some years to come. IF you want a 21-day trial, just let me know :)

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• DuffMcDDuffMcD Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Have you tried FFXIV:ARR beta? You only need one char and can gain all classes and how you progress in each is up to you. The only drawback I see after looking at your concerns is at some point you have to team up with other players for dungeon parties if you want to progress the main story line, but not for progressing your character. 
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Kopogero quality of gameplay is rarely found these days in AAA MMOs, there are exceptions but rare ones. Look to the more obscure MMOs like Ryzom, like Face of Humanity, like Albion Online, like Gloria Victis, etc. Some are not out yet but they at least give you hope for the future.

Also always remember: If you have to force something, just like forcing a fart, it can end up being shitty. Just google for example MMO and start delving into things, look up every possible lead, there are options just not all that known.

• DroxDrox Member Posts: 4

eve is not for everyone, and i bet hes not looking for boring spaceships battles

i could suggest u:

1.Atlantica Online, just try it

2.Runescape, version 3 nuff said

3.Rift- its a realy good game

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Rift: its actually honest to gahd free to play. you can buy alot of helpful things on the cash shop, like mounts or xp pots, but aside from that its pretty much on the up and up.

as for round the clock activities you can, at level 10, sign up for Instant Adventures. basically you are placed in a raid group, if one exists, and given one quest after another spread out over a whole zone to complete. when a 'zone event' happens, like a Rift invasion, the IAs switch you over so you can accomplish that instead.

ive had really good luck in running with a group in IAs. people can come and go as they please, even in the middle of quests and no one else loses out for it. also, its literally a cycle of quests you are given so you can never stop if you dont want to. its also been a great way to level and obtain level appropriate gear.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Kopogero

I love all around AAA MMORPG's but it seems like that's not possible anymore. What's worst is how all the things I look for in a MMORPG' are missing.

#1 Being able to become powerful or choose my own, distinguishing path (role) in a MMO Role PG.

#2 MMORPG is not overun by exploiters. abusers or any activety where players obtain things that the game has not intended them to obtain and even if they do at least I want to see swift, harsh actions being taken by the company.

#3 Being able to progress my single character in some beneficial way, regardless if I choose to play the game in the morning, afternoon, any day of the week. I want to have meaningful things to do to keep me entertained, without being forced to depend on others. I love being part of a big, multiplayer world, but one that allows the freedom for a player to become something more, given the set of skills, gear etc.

Ultima Online and SWG, both of these MMORPG's in the past has gave me an epic, meaningul and truly immersive experience. It looks like most likely I'll be going back to WOW soon. I will have a limited experience, but I still believe is the best option until something else comes later this year...

It could be simple burn out of the usual same old mechanics most MMOs fall on.  When most of them play pretty much the same it's easy for them to lose that luster that they had when you first started in the genre.  I would say try something with different end game or combat than what you are used to.   Or simply just take a break from MMOs and play Skyrim if you haven't already.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• CharSolCharSol Member UncommonPosts: 47

I agree that Rift might be of some interest to you.

Point #1 The soul system they have in place allows great character customisation for you in build, it allows you to tailor your character to you play style and allow you to even create multiple roles for yourself to use in different circumstances.  Each class is split up into a number of different souls, these are subclasses that have different strengths and weaknesses and you pick three for a role.  You can combine any three of these and allocate points into them however you like to build a character to your play style.

I also think it covers #3 very well.  I recently returned after not playing for a rather long time and discovered that they have made huge changes to the game, a lot of which I approve of.  Currently you will never want for something to do, you can:

Take part in instant adventures as someone else mentioned above

Join queues for auto party dungeons

There are collectables and achievements if you are a completionist

You can take part in closing down RIfts and Invasion forces across all zones and these are like public quests with their own loot system and rewards

There is a perfectly good crafting system

They have introduced a crafting/hobby type skill in fishing which is very addictive

And there is always the typical storyline and quest hub type deal available.

I believe there are a few other features available at high levels and max level but I have yet to experience these.

I have played most MMOs and I find that despite this game starting off almost as a clone of WOW I actually I enjoy it a whole lot more than its predecessor and have pumped many more hours into it even when it was still subscription only.  I hope this helps.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Why do people recomment Eve all the time when people are looking for fantasy titles??...Eve is about as far from fantasy as you can get....Ooooh look at me Im a spaceship...weeeee
  • VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Eqnext is just around the corner, might be what you are looking for.
  • suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

I suggest you skip for some time all MMOs and try singleplayer games. It's a lot fun too. I had same burn out as you have now. Went for RTS and nou problemo yet ;) Just time to time I log into EvE to put my skills and again off. Dunno If I ever will be active in any MMO again. "And still I have a bug in my head that is telling me to go back to wow." :)

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53

I've had the same problem, I quit playing wow like 3 years ago and only one game since then has really caught my attention. That would be tera, however due to it's dumb enchanting system I just cannot bring myself to play it (you spent 3-4 days running the hardest dungeon then you have the best gear in the game and then you spent several months running a level 57 dungeon solo trying to enchant it, talk about anti fun.)

Everything else has just seemed like a waste of time, so I have been using the spare time I have on mobas (dota 2 and league mainly) trying certain mmos when they launch only to be disapointed again by the same trends:

Terrible combat system

Classes locked to 1 weapon and no class variety

No endgame

Terrible pvp with no balance

very grind heavy forcing you to do months worth of dailies for 1 item

As someone else suggested, try a different genre of games for a while

• klagmireklagmire Member UncommonPosts: 95

Im waiting for " The Repopulation" Its going to have player housing, player cities, just like SWG. A diverse crafting system will also be in it. FPS or third person mode. Its a sandbox. Unfortumatly, its still in developement.

cant wait!

Played:SWG(pre NGE/CU sucked)Yep its true, anyone who quit SWG because of the NGE/CU missed out on a much better combat system. DCUO, Fallen Earth, STO, The Secret World. Battlefield series. Planetside 2. Still playing SWG.

• dauntSilverdauntSilver Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by Vidir
    Eqnext is just around the corner, might be what you are looking for.

"just around the corner"... I'm looking forward to it just as much as you, bud, but EQNext probably wont be out til 2015. that's a pretty big corner.

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

Try FFXIV when open beta comes around in a few weeks. Like I have said before, In most MMO's I have to force myself to get on and play hoping for some fun and memorable experiences, in FFXIV I have to force myself to stop playing. 

There is nothing MMO wise that can keep me satisfied until FFXIV launches. Rift, Tera, Aion all give me overwhelming feelings of depression when I log in, not sure why but they do. The people are cool to talk to as always, but I don't play games to chat it up with other people. Aside from the people those games just aren't fun in my opinion.

Be warned, FFXIV is hard to put down. I honestly feel symptoms of withdrawal since FFXIV P3 beta shut down, and that has me worried to be honest.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by klagmire

Im waiting for " The Repopulation" Its going to have player housing, player cities, just like SWG. A diverse crafting system will also be in it. FPS or third person mode. Its a sandbox. Unfortumatly, its still in developement.

cant wait!

hahaha the best games are always "in development"....Once they release they aren't the best games anymore......

Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by klagmire

cant wait!

hahaha the best games are always "in development"....Once they release they aren't the best games anymore......

not only that but i think Repop isnt probly due out till after even EQNext launches. mind you its a small indie team, so that's just a numbers game, not anyone's fault. but still, that one's gonna be a while.

• delimeat567delimeat567 Member Posts: 56

SWG does have an Emulator out now that you can play if you really miss the game. However, it isn't complete yet, and there are still some exploits. If you're a combat person, it's 90% there. If you're a crafter, there can be some issues.

Darkfall: Unholy Wars isn't bad, but it is pretty hardcore. You said you like Ultima, and Darkfall is about as close as I think you'll ever get. It's not nearly what Ultima was, but it's the best shot out there right now. It's half off on Steam until the 22nd of July, so $20 for the game and first month combined. Not a bad deal, and not a bad game. 

SWG vets will never find that atmosphere again - even with hopefuls like The Repopulation. We just have to move on with whatever sandbox intrigues us next. Besides the aforementioned game, I'm looking forward to ArcheAge, and EQNext. And if neither of them pan out, I'll see if Star Citizen can be more entertaining for me than EVE was.

Played: SWG, SWG:NGE, EQ2, Vanguard, LotRO, WoW, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Mortal Online, Rift, Guild Wars, Fallen Earth, EVE Online, Ryzom, Dungeons and Dragons Online, World of Tanks, Aion, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    MMOs are dead.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

Originally posted by stayBlind
    The MMO is dead.*

Long Live the MMO!

*fixed

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223

For your perfect MMO, you need to lay down the F2P titles, they'll lead you into depression.  But that's getting a bit complicated since all P2P titles are becoming F2P because Devs / Pubs are too greedy.   There are only a handful of great MMO titles out there which are P2P and should remain P2P for a long time. I wish you good luck in your hunt of the perfect MMO. 

Problem I got with F2P titles is that they release a game but is still in Beta stages AND with a cash shop to help you get stronger quicker? Then you got the douches that buy stuff off cash shops to then sale them in game which in turn screws up the economy of that game. And it's funny how almost every complaint off a F2P title is how crappy the economy system is.  Never understood the concept of F2P and I fail to understand why people even support such games. FF4 (2) on the SNES is more enjoyable then 95% of the F2P titles released in the past 15 years.

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by tommygunzII

Try FFXIV when open beta comes around in a few weeks. Like I have said before, In most MMO's I have to force myself to get on and play hoping for some fun and memorable experiences, in FFXIV I have to force myself to stop playing. 

There is nothing MMO wise that can keep me satisfied until FFXIV launches. Rift, Tera, Aion all give me overwhelming feelings of depression when I log in, not sure why but they do. The people are cool to talk to as always, but I don't play games to chat it up with other people. Aside from the people those games just aren't fun in my opinion.

Be warned, FFXIV is hard to put down. I honestly feel symptoms of withdrawal since FFXIV P3 beta shut down, and that has me worried to be honest.

^ This x10.  :'( le sigh.  The wait will seem like years.  Not even kidding.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Try Vanguard.  It sounds like you enjoy Sandbox games and though Vanguard isn't really a sandbox, you have multiple paths of leveling through Crafting, Diplomacy, and Adventuring and there is no shortage of things to do.  Helpful community as well.  The game has much more depth than games like Wow, Rift, etc.  With that said there is no Player vs Player content but a massive world.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    im just waiting for final fantasy ARR open beta now which is not too far off.  Final Fantasy gave me the fun I had that I didnt have in a long time from an mmo, since final fantasy 11 actually and because its an IP i really care about.  Other than that single player games and netflix keep me entertained.  I tried Rift, Tera, GW2, Vanguard, Secret World and other free to play games but get bored real quick and I just dont care about these worlds.  The Old Republic was decent because of its story but got bored at end game but at least it managed to entertain me all the way to max level, most mmos i quit mid way.