Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Defiance vs Firefall

shockwaved1shockwaved1 columbus, GAPosts: 37Member
Give me your opinions on which I should or should not play . Ups and downs etc etc? Already tried firefall but not defiance yet.

Comments

  • Demmi77Demmi77 philly, PAPosts: 225Member

    i played firefall for quite some time. It seems like a total mess back when i played it (early cb). I downloaded the open beta client and will try it again. When i played it before though it just seems like a jumbled mess in one zone.

     

    defiance, well worth my money, for a month. It's fun but gets stale rather quick. I havent played in about a week gonna wait on dlc and a major update. 

    if you want a tps mmo. firefall, apb, defiance should keep you busy though. defiance is on sale i believe.

  • SacriaSacria naPosts: 53Member

    I haven't tried firefall.

     

    But defiance has huge problems, mainly non scaling items the weapons you get at ego (level) 1 is the same as you get on 2000 except a few minor changes.

    The pvp is redicioulus you have a stealth ability and certain shotgun types oneshot people at close range.

    The game is fun while you are doing the story line, after that there is nothing to do, so try firefall I doubt it can be worse

  • DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member

    Firefalls biggest problem is, it's not even close to being ready to launch as an mmo. It's a great game in the making but has so little real content everything that isn't just a flat out grind, gets repetative within a few days of playing.

    If you enjoy all the gathering of resources, xp and like the crafting it's a great little game but if you're looking for a fps themepark with a long quest line and all of the things that go with theme parks it's an empty game.

    Defiance imo has less of a foundation to build on and more pressure to be something beyond just a game. The fact that in just a few months it's gone from a $60 box price down to $13 on a steam sale doesn't say good things. If I was going to recommend defiance to someone, I'd say buy it if you're looking for a few weeks ( at most ) entertainment but it's not really a long term mmo.

  • AsboAsbo ManchesterPosts: 796Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by shockwaved1
    Give me your opinions on which I should or should not play . Ups and downs etc etc? Already tried firefall but not defiance yet.

    Go try both, then you can make your own mind up rather than relying on others who opinions may differ from yours.

    Asbo

  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by NightBandit
    Originally posted by shockwaved1 Give me your opinions on which I should or should not play . Ups and downs etc etc? Already tried firefall but not defiance yet.
    Go try both, then you can make your own mind up rather than relying on others who opinions may differ from yours.

    Bit hard to do whens hes trying to gauge if defiance is worth the purchase..

    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  • MothanosMothanos ArnhemPosts: 1,860Member Uncommon

    I was having quite some fun in Firefall.
    Crafting seemed harder then usual.
    Grahics style was totaly diffrent.
    Random Events is always a plus.

    But after 14 hours of gameplay you have seen the whole pve side, its just the same spawns over and over and over.
    No epic boss fights to be seen so far -_-
    PvP is competetive tough ;)
    I quited as i went back to Planetside 2 who seemed to have had some realy good updates past 6 months.


    Havent tried Defiance so i cant help you with that :P

  • ComanComan Hattem, AKPosts: 2,032Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sacria

    I haven't tried firefall.

     

    But defiance has huge problems, mainly non scaling items the weapons you get at ego (level) 1 is the same as you get on 2000 except a few minor changes.

    The pvp is redicioulus you have a stealth ability and certain shotgun types oneshot people at close range.

    The game is fun while you are doing the story line, after that there is nothing to do, so try firefall I doubt it can be worse

    With firefall there are things to do, but a bit limited in my opinion. It's still fun and it's really free to play. It feels they have a perfect "framework" to make a good game there just need to be a bit more substance to it.

  • alf2oooalf2ooo milanPosts: 135Member
    Firefall is F2P, Defiance have 3 day trial so i agree you should try them and make your own opinion :)
  • DominisiDominisi Age of Conan Correspondent Show Low, AZPosts: 95Member
    Originally posted by DamonVile

    Firefalls biggest problem is, it's not even close to being ready to launch as an mmo. It's a great game in the making but has so little real content everything that isn't just a flat out grind, gets repetative within a few days of playing.

    If you enjoy all the gathering of resources, xp and like the crafting it's a great little game but if you're looking for a fps themepark with a long quest line and all of the things that go with theme parks it's an empty game.

    Defiance imo has less of a foundation to build on and more pressure to be something beyond just a game. The fact that in just a few months it's gone from a $60 box price down to $13 on a steam sale doesn't say good things. If I was going to recommend defiance to someone, I'd say buy it if you're looking for a few weeks ( at most ) entertainment but it's not really a long term mmo.

    Okay. I disagree with most of what you said, not because its untrue, but because of your poor reasoning behind it. Let me elaborate:

    FireFall is in OPEN BETA, as a matter of fact it just hit open beta, so complaining about the lack of content is terrible. 

    This game, contrary to what you say, is not a "Themepark." Why? There are no quest hubs, there is very little in the way of story line. You can get on, do what you want to do, and there you have it. So if you are looking for a themepark, go defiance, not firefall.

    -------------------------

    So, why I prefer Firefall over defiance:

    The crafting system is closer to Star Wars Galaxies than any other MMO I've seen so far. Player crafted items are better than the stuff you find on mobs, all of the resources to build them are gathered by the player through a pretty fun gathering mechanic (thumping). If actually having to decide what you want to do that day is something that you don't like, don't play Firefall. 

    PvP is like Unreal tournament, which I enjoy.

    The only thing(s) that could make it better are Open PvP zones (which I'm sure is going to come down the pipe when it gets closer to release) and player housing. Other than that its a solid game if you are a fan of Sandbox/light theme park hybrids.

    image

  • shockwaved1shockwaved1 columbus, GAPosts: 37Member
    well ty for all the replies been trying to do the three day trial but patching is not working . Keep posting if anyone else has some more opinions . ty
  • snoockysnoocky maarnPosts: 595Member Uncommon
    Defiance...firefall is in a Alpha state...

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

    Edgar Allan Poe

  • DawnDarkDawnDark AmsterdamPosts: 21Member

    I really like defiance. There is a lot of open world content and I really like to do ark-falls, as you are supposed to be an ark-hunter it make sense. They just made it more rewarding because you get weapon-XP for doing ark-falls, initially they turned off getting weapon-XP because people would grind the ark-falls, but now they have decided that that was pretty silly of them.

    It is also a game where you can simply play for a few minutes, you turn it on, look for an arkfall, or a time trial (you drive around in cars in this world) and when you are finished you turn off the game. Now that I am ill at the moment, I can play for 30 minutes then go back to lie on the couch, perfect.

    Personally I am not a big fan of missions, in any game really, in defiance they are quite tough, trying to survive without dying in a solo instance is pretty cool. I am getting a lot better at it.

    There is not much of a levelling system, but that is by design. It is about player skill, later missions actually become tougher, and you the player will be getting better. I've actually tried this when I created a new character on the US server (I normally play EU), fresh from the tutorial and went further in the world and completed a couple of ark-falls, I was at the top of the leader board, I also completed a couple of missions and it was a lot easier to do them.

    I still haven't completed all the missions, but in defiance it doesn't matter, you can do what you want. You can even go to San Francisco without completing the missions, you just need a lift from someone else so you can find the fast travel point. Not that San Francisco is a place where you want to be, I almost never go there, too depressing.

Sign In or Register to comment.