Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Last Hope I Have For ArcheAge

SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

The more I follow ArcheAge the more I seem to generally get bummed out about it.
But, I do have some hope left.

The main thing about certain MMOs I love are huge open worlds. This seems to have been going away recently with a lot of new MMOs coming out. I feel like they have been very pathed for example: Aion/Tera with mountains that you can't climb closing off parts of the world. Also games that don't allow you to swim (and only swimming on the top of the water???) from say one island to the next. GW2 has a nice world but it is instanced from zone to zone which I don't like.I would say Darkfall did this really well but I just am not having fun with UW.

The point I am trying to make with ArcheAge (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that the world is large and open. I can sail from one continent to the other, or if I see something off in the distance I can actually walk,sail,fly my way there. This is extremely appealing to me because overall my favorite thing to do is explore. The idea of being deep in the ocean and finding a small island that many people haven't seen is really appealing to me!

Anyway, if anyone has first hand experience with ArcheAge and can confirm or deny the openess or the world and how explorable it is then I would greatly appreciate it!!

Comments

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

Yes.  It kinda mixes both elements. 

The world is large and expansive and you can travel to "ALMOST" every single place you can see, the reality is if you follow the quest path the way its laid out and you don't really force yourself to explore, you will miss 90% of it at the start of the game because 1-30 goes so fast (at least in the market im playing w/ potion from quests) if you just quest grind, I actually took a day off and just went back and flew around and took a boat to all the places I jumped past leveling.

The ONLY issue I have with it is I wish they had more incentive to explore considering how gorgeous of a world they built.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    I'm right there with you. I've been watching AA for a while now, and the latest stuff I've been seeing is making me lose hope. The huge, open world is one of the things that keeps me interested enough to try it still.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

Yes.  It kinda mixes both elements. 

The world is large and expansive and you can travel to "ALMOST" every single place you can see, the reality is if you follow the quest path the way its laid out and you don't really force yourself to explore, you will miss 90% of it at the start of the game because 1-30 goes so fast (at least in the market im playing w/ potion from quests) if you just quest grind, I actually took a day off and just went back and flew around and took a boat to all the places I jumped past leveling.

The ONLY issue I have with it is I wish they had more incentive to explore considering how gorgeous of a world they built.

There is a bit of incentive, either hidden quest givers with maybe good rewards, or simply finding scenic points that reward the Silver Tear coins. A Mountain Peak overlook, a ruined tower, even just a broken statue on an island in a pond and a sudden spray of fireworks and a Coin... :)

Personally I love finding some out of the way cave, no quest directs you there, just a place to explore. As well, pretty much the entire ocean floor. Volcanic ore deposits, ruined temples and cities, lost treasure chests, and the occasional sea monsters to ruin your day.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Sinaku

The more I follow ArcheAge the more I seem to generally get bummed out about it.

The main thing about certain MMOs I love are huge open worlds. This seems to have been going away recently with a lot of new MMOs coming out. I feel like they have been very pathed for example: Aion/Tera with mountains that you can't climb closing off parts of the world. Also games that don't allow you to swim (and only swimming on the top of the water???) from say one island to the next. GW2 has a nice world but it is instanced from zone to zone which I don't like.I would say Darkfall did this really well but I just am not having fun with UW.

The point I am trying to make with ArcheAge (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that the world is large and open. I can sail from one continent to the other, or if I see something off in the distance I can actually walk,sail,fly my way there. This is extremely appealing to me because overall my favorite thing to do is explore. The idea of being deep in the ocean and finding a small island that many people haven't seen is really appealing to me!

Anyway, if anyone has first hand experience with ArcheAge and can confirm or deny the openess or the world and how explorable it is then I would greatly appreciate it!!

If you really love exploring in MMOs.  Then Wildstar might be the MMO for you.  The game will have paths (soldier, explorer, scientist, settler).  Obviously, the explorer path will peak your interest.  You might even forget about AA.  Wildstar will also have a large seemless world like you're looking for.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/paths/

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

If you include all land masses as well as the oceans, I can guarantee your wildest dreams can't fathom the size that it actually is. AA has by far the most immersive world I have ever experienced in any MMO by a very wide margin. In addition, having ships and the open sea adds a level of immersion unique to only AA and will be a huge factor when trying to play an MMO without them. AA is the adventurers/crafter dream MMO. There are no corridors, no zoning and you can get to anything you can see. The only exception is Mirage Island which is instanced for convenience and unfinished zones which are marked at the zone edges by a sign with a "red x". If you choose to venture into a unfinished zone, you'll get ported out after about 10 seconds from entering.

OP- I guarantee you will not be disappointed in this respect.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Still looking forward to this game. Can somebody tell me if there are actual guilds and alliances that control territory? Are there politics between the guilds? How is the open pvp system?
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    My bet is that this game won't even launch in the west.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

Why you say that?

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    In my opinion it doesn't matter if the world is just open and big. It should be open and big, but it also needs to give you a reason to go to different places. If it's zoned out by levels like typical themepark games, then I'm out. I hate it how typical themepark games just shuttle you through different areas that are suited for certain levels. I want a big organic world where you travel to different places for different reasons, so you get to know the world intimately.
  • KamikazeKiteKamikazeKite Member Posts: 38

TrionWorlds has gotten the game now. i don't see why you'd say that as well. Read up on it instead buddy.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I had AA on my radar for a extremely long time.
    I always hoped they would imrpove the fighting animations and spells and efects.
    It looks so clumpsy and static and that is taking away my interest in playing AA.
    Also their strange items they implement in the game like cars and stuff -_-
    No need to put that shit into a fantasy style mmo ffs...
    WoW did the same with the Goblins and i hated it...

Fantasy mmo's can do that stuff, but some things just dont bland and mix well together and it takes out a big chunk of the immersion for me.
    On the other hand Black Desert is shaping up and it seems they have what AA could have been.
    Time will tell, but i do not have high hope left for AA anymore after being so excited for this mmo for such long time :(

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by KamikazeKite

TrionWorlds has gotten the game now. i don't see why you'd say that as well. Read up on it instead buddy.

At the very least TRION has been have cash flow problems for at least twelve months now. Defiance does not seem to have been the success they needed to pull out of the slump and since announcing the deal for AA they have been curiously silent.

I do not think your post is in any way justified by the reality ""buddy"".

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin
    Originally posted by Sinaku

If you really love exploring in MMOs.  Then Wildstar might be the MMO for you.  The game will have paths (soldier, explorer, scientist, settler).  Obviously, the explorer path will peak your interest.  You might even forget about AA.  Wildstar will also have a large seemless world like you're looking for.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/paths/

Nothing like AA though, in fact i think it's more of a gimmick from what i've seen.  Can you climb trees in Wildstar, plant crops, raise cattle, sail vast oceans, deep sea diving for treasure, live on your own pirate island, build housing.

Seriously, Wildstar lol?

Can you do this in WildStar?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12/18/new-archeage-beta-videos-featuring-sailing-exploration/

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

yes you can do alot of stuff in AA no doubt about it.
    But does that make the wrong things right that this mmo is having ?
    basicly you have 3 continents of wich 2 are themepark settings and 1 is sandbox with open pvp.

If you read the positives and negatives from all the beta testers you can plant in the a weightscale and decide if this is for you or not.
    I went from full supporter to not touching it unless its free to play like Korea now.

The other danger for AA is time....
    When does it come out ?
    Will Trion be able to release it before all the other mmo's ?
    And dont mock Wildstar so hard, did you see what stuff you can do ? it might not be a sandbox (neither is AA tbh)
    But you can build wicked stuff in Wildstar :)

Eso
    Wildstar
    FF ARR
    WoW free to play ?

When will Trion drop the bom ?
    if it takes to long the window to pull in the masses may be long gone...

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Mothanos stop talking nonsense. Your predictions are baseless, yet every MMO that comes out there's always people who think they know everything "if they don't release in x amount of time no one will play it" yet it never comes true. People always play because not everyone likes the same thing. "Firefall releases = less players for ArcheAge" but you people never say "ArcheAge comes out less players for Firefall" because you don't think.

AA is open world, you can go anywhere from level 1 if you wish, finding a group of players and hitching a ride with them around the world is fun.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

Mothanos stop talking nonsense. Your predictions are baseless, yet every MMO that comes out there's always people who think they know everything "if they don't release in x amount of time no one will play it" yet it never comes true. People always play because not everyone likes the same thing. "Firefall releases = less players for ArcheAge" but you people never say "ArcheAge comes out less players for Firefall" because you don't think.

AA is open world, you can go anywhere from level 1 if you wish, finding a group of players and hitching a ride with them around the world is fun.

I wouldn't say his predictions are totally baseless.

AA had some serious hype here in the west a couple of years back, when the first limited info started coming out of Korea. It sounded like the ultimate next-gen sandbox game back then and a lot of people, myself included, were very excited about it.

However, time has passed and it has become more and more apparent that AA is not the game we all hoped for. It looks solid enough, but there are several things - linear leveling, tab-target combat, no item decay, instanced sieges, among others - that have made it look a lot less promising than before. There are not that many raving claims of it being a revolutionary genre-changer anymore; instead most followers seem to display some healthy skepticism.

Add the snail-like pace with which it is being published in NA/EU, a total lack of marketing from Trion, and the fact that it's already f2p in Korea, and it's only fair to say that one should have moderate expectations.

I'm not saying it will fail (and I'll surely play it myself) but it will probably not rock the gaming world like people claimed it would two years ago.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Biskop
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

I wouldn't say his predictions are totally baseless.

AA had some serious hype here in the west a couple of years back, when the first limited info started coming out of Korea. It sounded like the ultimate next-gen sandbox game back then and a lot of people, myself included, were very excited about it.

However, time has passed and it has become more and more apparent that AA is not the game we all hoped for. It looks solid enough, but there are several things - linear leveling, tab-target combat, no item decay, instanced sieges, among others - that have made it look a lot less promising than before. There are not that many raving claims of it being a revolutionary genre-changer anymore; instead most followers seem to display some healthy skepticism.

Add the snail-like pace with which it is being published in NA/EU, a total lack of marketing from Trion, and the fact that it's already f2p in Korea, and it's only fair to say that one should have moderate expectations.

I'm not saying it will fail (and I'll surely play it myself) but it will probably not rock the gaming world like people claimed it would two years ago.

Although I generally agree with Biskop's comments, I have to object to the reference of "AA has already gone F2P in Korea..."

I don't think that it's move to F2P in Asia is necessarily a sign of its "failure". That's a very different market to the West, F2P and P2W is accepted in that market.

But that will have implications for the game in the Western market, because any hints of P2W in the game design will cause an uproar here. And I doubt that XLGames will develop 2 different versions of AA...

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Although I generally agree with Biskop's comments, I have to object to the reference of "AA has already gone F2P in Korea..."

I don't think that it's move to F2P in Asia is necessarily a sign of its "failure". That's a very different market to the West, F2P and P2W is accepted in that market.

But that will have implications for the game in the Western market, because any hints of P2W in the game design will cause an uproar here. And I doubt that XLGames will develop 2 different versions of AA...

Not necessarily a sign of failure per se, but it does send a "fail" kind of signal when a game starts out with a sub and then goes f2p within 6 months.

It would be a whole different story if it had been f2p to begin with, but as it stands they obviously misjudged the amount of people willing to pay a sub for the game, which is bad PR.

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165

The open world is one of the biggest selling points of the game for sure, if it just would apply to PvP as well. I really do hope they implement PvP servers for Western release would probably help me to gain some interest of the game again.

It's still worth playing, but fuck sake it would have so much more potential.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

Yeah i too was bummed out once i learned this isn't a sandbox. Kind of wish the community never hyped the game as one.

I learned when i watched a Korean video of gameplay.  Going to the quest hub taking a quests out from a bunch of NPCs, moving right outside the quest hub area and farming mobs with several others doing the same...yawn.

As time passed i learned that the game was a standard Korean themepark with a Farmville ride and instanced, player capped, sieges.

Im sure it will be a good game for what its worth, certainly not the sandbox that the community once hyped it to be...well actually they still are hyping it as  a sandbox.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Strangerous

Im sure it will be a good game for what its worth, certainly not the sandbox that the community once hyped it to be...well actually they still are hyping it as  a sandbox.

Hmm, I'm curious what community is hyping it as a sandbox.  Not this forum, not ArcheAgeSource.  And Jake Song himself called it a sandpark.

Not saying you are wrong, just curious.  I guess Sandboxer.org still covers it, that's something.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    The future is procedural
  • VentlusVentlus Member Posts: 96
    I'm looking forward to this game personally, but I didn't fall into the super hype, so my expectations where just normal. Anyhow it has sandpark elements within their themepark which i think will be a good thing for a person like my self, where i like certain things about sandparks but not all of them. I'll probably play this game excluvisley as a pvp game since i normally do pve, in all my other mmo's and i will have fun :D
  • rondericronderic Member Posts: 56
    I must say that having played the game in Korea for awhile now, it is FUN! This, above all else is what I want for my money. I only hope TRION has the courage to make it Pay to Play (like Japan). Free to Play will kill the market because of all the gold sellers just making free accounts and farming. Btw, it isn't two continents themepark and one continent pvp. There is pvp on all continents (and of course the open sea - which is huge) with some restrictions. I think XLGames has struck a good balance, if you want to be safe and farm, craft, pve etc. you can. But you will only get rich by taking (pvp) risks. As far as the cars go - they are also fun, but you will have to be very rich to own one.. My 2c.

You can please some MMO-players all of the time and you can please all MMO-players some of the time but you can't please all MMO-players all of the time.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Strangerous

Yeah i too was bummed out once i learned this isn't a sandbox. Kind of wish the community never hyped the game as one.

I learned when i watched a Korean video of gameplay.  Going to the quest hub taking a quests out from a bunch of NPCs, moving right outside the quest hub area and farming mobs with several others doing the same...yawn.

As time passed i learned that the game was a standard Korean themepark with a Farmville ride and instanced, player capped, sieges.

It's an EVE Online model of 'Sandbox'. PvE is  a means to an end and just like in EVE with mission hubs, it's a farm system to accommodate your PvP agenda. That seems to be the direction this is going. Even if development want to bring in a casual player base who tinker in the means to an end content, the player base will go out of their way to make those players feel second rate, much like the EVE community has an on going hate campaign against miners and mission runners.