Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ Players Should or Shouldn't Expect EQN To Please Them?

DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307

So, I have read that EQN is not being made to cater to the EQ or EQ2 crowd. However the EQNext reddit, of which I assumed SOE is the moderator, states on the details sidebar on the right hand side;

"The developers have stated an intention to return to a style of gameplay more like the original EverQuest, while retaining the advances in MMORPG design that have developed in the years since that game first launched."

Are they still going for this concept where EQ players may have a new home? Should we get our hopes up? Which is it?

I would like to believe that with the current trends of every game attempting the WoW clone and having failure that we are moving into either a more niche market or a completely different direction. Is EQN either or both of these?

I PMed Dexella on reddit to see if we get an answer.

Let me know what you think below.

EDIT:

Looks like I may have egg on my face as it appears SOE is not the moderator of this reddit. Sorry for any more confusion I may have caused. :/

Comments

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

They never said that. It is a really bad (delusional or hopeful) misinterpretation of what they said during the 2010 Fan Fair Q&A panels where they talked about their goals for EQN. It sounded to be very much a hybrid of EQ1 and EQ2 with all the typical WoW-clone trappings, but that is really moot. They scrapped that version of EQN. The new one is going to be nothing like the previous ones.

"It’s going to be a very, very different game than the original EverQuest or any other MMO ever made."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/13/planetside-2-eq-next-and-soes-player-driven-future/

"We’re not trying to make WOW2 or Everquest 2.5 – we’re making something that we think will define the next generation of MMOs.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/14/everquest-next-is-pretty-crazy-says-soe-president-were-not-trying-to-make-wow2/

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    There are at least two relatively statements that suggest we're in for something very different from the games they made in the past.
  • keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    We can hope but thats all we going to get i think.
  • theNextEQtheNextEQ Member Posts: 15

I think we can be hopeful.  I get the feeling a lot of people are thinking this game will just be EQ1 with new graphics.

While that wouldn't be a bad thing, in my book, I just don't think its an EQ1 remake. 

I think people really need to think Outside the box.  This game may blow our minds because its So different or it could be the biggest hype letdown ever. 

We will know that answer in 19 days. 

• DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307

Let me clarify. This is stated currently on the EQN Reddit SIDEBAR of which SOE is the moderator:

"The developers have stated an intention to return to a style of gameplay more like the original EverQuest, while retaining the advances in MMORPG design that have developed in the years since that game first launched."

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext

I understand that they said in 2010 that they were making EQ1 revamped but scrapped it twice and as I stated I have read all of those comments as well. I PMed Dexella to see if we can get an aswer:) I'll let everyone know whats up if we do.

EDIT:

Looks like I may have egg on my face as it appears SOE is not the moderator of this reddit. Sorry for any more confusion I may have caused. :/

Originally posted by ice-vortex

They never said that. It is a really bad (delusional or hopeful) misinterpretation of what they said during the 2010 Fan Fair Q&A panels where they talked about their goals for EQN. It sounded to be very much a hybrid of EQ1 and EQ2 with all the typical WoW-clone trappings, but that is really moot. They scrapped that version of EQN. The new one is going to be nothing like the previous ones.

"It’s going to be a very, very different game than the original EverQuest or any other MMO ever made."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/13/planetside-2-eq-next-and-soes-player-driven-future/

"We’re not trying to make WOW2 or Everquest 2.5 – we’re making something that we think will define the next generation of MMOs.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/14/everquest-next-is-pretty-crazy-says-soe-president-were-not-trying-to-make-wow2/

Thanks man for the links, I KNEW I wasn't crazy hehe, I had read those too. Hopefully we find out soon enough.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by dejoblue

Let me clarify. This is stated currently on the EQN Reddit SIDEBAR of which SOE is the moderator:

I understand that they said in 2010 that they were making EQ1 revamped but scrapped it twice and as I stated I have read all of those comments as well. I PMed Dexella to see if we can get an aswer:) I'll let everyone know whats up if we do.

It's interesting but who is putting that information on the site there?  Just some random person who thinks that's what EQNext is going to be so is portraying it like the devs have said that?  Or is it actually someone involved with SOE?

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

Thanks man for the links, I KNEW I wasn't crazy hehe, I had read those too. Hopefully we find out soon enough.

I think the best answer to your question is that they are making something new, that EQ fans can enjoy.  It's not going to be EQ all over again, but a lot of the core things we liked about EQ will make it back, all while offering a new type of game.

Us EQ players are in for a treat, that much is certain.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

SOE isn't the moderator of that.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

Really? who is then?

I notice that it does have the following on the page:

SOE Employees:

Rules:

• Be excellent to each other. No personal attacks or trolling of any kind will be tolerated.
    • We will adhere to any NDA established during Beta. No leaked screenshots, videos, etc. will be posted unless granted permission by SOE.
    • We will abide by the SOE EULA. No discussion of hacking, cheating, or exploiting will be tolerated when the game is released.
    Which while not stating that the SOE Community Managers are moderators does suggest some degree of control by them.

Well Ill be damned. Thanks everyone disregard I guess, lol.

Originally posted by craftseeker

Really? who is then?

SOE Employees:

Rules:

• Be excellent to each other. No personal attacks or trolling of any kind will be tolerated.
    • We will adhere to any NDA established during Beta. No leaked screenshots, videos, etc. will be posted unless granted permission by SOE.
    • We will abide by the SOE EULA. No discussion of hacking, cheating, or exploiting will be tolerated when the game is released.
    Which while not stating that the SOE Community Managers are moderators does suggest some degree of control by them.

SgtSlate if you keep going down it lists the moderators on the right side. I swear I saw an SOE logo by his name. That's too bad.

Originally posted by craftseeker

Really? who is then?

SOE Employees:

Rules:

Um, that's just a list of SOE employees. A reddit page owner can pretty much put anything they want along the right hand side.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

EQ Players Should or Shouldn't Expect EQN To Please Them?

neither. they should wait and see until the reveal which is less than half a month away, then make up their minds.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

For 10 years J. Smedley and SOE have made promises they can't keep and spun a huge web of increasing greed and crappy decision making.  Everything between SWG CU and Planetside 2 has been a hot mess.

I wouldn't bet on SOE for nothing.  My advice to everyone reading about EQNext is forget about the game until it comes out, then read the reviews, then decide if you want to play it or not.

Don't let it consume you over the course of the next 3-5 years while SOE dangles it's money carrot in your face.

No bitchers.

Originally posted by Rinna

For 10 years J. Smedley and SOE have made promises they can't keep and spun a huge web of increasing greed and crappy decision making.  Everything between SWG CU and Planetside 2 has been a hot mess.

I wouldn't bet on SOE for nothing.  My advice to everyone reading about EQNext is forget about the game until it comes out, then read the reviews, then decide if you want to play it or not.

Don't let it consume you over the course of the next 3-5 years while SOE dangles it's money carrot in your face.

And SWG screw up was LA not John Smedley.

You sound mad that video games aren't free.  Welcome to life, where you pay for services rendered.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Gallus85

And SWG screw up was LA not John Smedley.

You sound mad that video games aren't free.  Welcome to life, where you pay for services rendered.

waitwut?? i dont get that last bit at all, she said nothing about paying to play games. sounds to me like you ran out of logical reasoning for why she isn't right.

secondly, while i have seen evidence that does suggest LA's involvement, there is nothing conclusive out there that shows they were the primary movers for the NGE.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by aspekx
    Originally posted by Gallus85

Don't let it consume you over the course of the next 3-5 years while SOE dangles it's money carrot in your face..

waitwut?? i dont get that last bit at all, she said nothing about paying to play games. sounds to me like you ran out of logical reasoning for why she isn't right.

secondly, while i have seen evidence that does suggest LA's involvement, there is nothing conclusive out there that shows they were the primary movers for the NGE.

Or you just suck at reading.

Nice try though.  My logic is sound.  :)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

EDIT:

Suppose you DEJOBLUE decide that it means a number of things and you then expect those in game at release.  Now when the game comes out, you learn the stuff YOU EXPECTED is not in the game.  You get pissed off.  Why are you pissed off?

Stop putting expectations on it.  Wait for the reality of the game not the pre-release hype.  Reality matching.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

EDIT:

Suppose you DEJOBLUE decide that it means a number of things and you then expect those in game at release.  Now when the game comes out, you learn the stuff YOU EXPECTED is not in the game.  You get pissed off.  Why are you pissed off?

Stop putting expectations on it.  Wait for the reality of the game not the pre-release hype.  Reality matching.

Well I think the take away from these kinds of comments is worth noting.  It means it'll probably be a game that will appeal to many EQ veterans, with a modern twist on it.

The only way to get disappointed is to expect it to be exactly like EQ.  Some of the design elements and aspects of EQ may be tweaked, missing or completely modernized.

For example, maybe they have fast travel in the game in some form (rifts/portals, not player controlled like wiz/dru ports from EQ). It might not be what you want, but you got to remember that this isn't 1999, and things do change.

I'm not saying I'm pro/against fast travel or that this scenario is going to happen, but just making a comment on "Don't expect to get everything* you want".  Be compromising and be ready to take the good with the bad.  I know EQN will have a lot more good than bad, but I we all know they're going to be a lot of people who are going to nit-pick EQN when it launches, regardless of how great it is.

You know who you are.

Looking at you, Negative Nancy's.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Some people do have the ability to imagine what can be and have fun with it, then actually be okay when it doesn't turn out the same way.  Some don't I would imagine and you're right that they should sit it out until August.  I think most of what you posted here is opinion and you have the right to your own.  I happen to like PS2 and have no way of knowing who was really reponsible for the CU.

I find the last part interesting.  Are you saying that if EQN is a game we could enjoy playing for 3-5 years that we shouldn't play it? That we, mostly 25-30+ adults need to protect ourselves from ploys we wont see coming? Thanks for the PSA image

I have to know, is your sig supposed to be tongue-in-cheek considering the nature of your post? I'm being 100% serious.  Hopefully you'll enjoy playing EQN.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

EQ1 and EQ2 players can enjoy EQN if they're open for change. Not saying all are this way, but a lot are against changing how the game is played. If they are not open for change, then they likely won't enjoy the game. I just dont see corpse runs making it back, I dont see EXP loss on death making it back, I don't see traveling taking AS LONG as EQ1 (I think they'll use a system like Vanilla WoW's, which I liked) and the game isnt just going to be a monster grind like Monster Hunter until your eyes bleed.

Georgeson said "EQN is going to be much different from its sibling games -- But it has so much cool stuff that we believe it'll be good and worth sticking around for"

Also, EQN is a completely free to play game, why wait for reviews? All you have to do is download it and try it. Don't like it? Don't play it again. You lost no money, all you lost is time (which you didnt spend much of if you quit that quickly)

Hey guys I became content with the new concept of EQN but you have to remember when they first announced it and until only recently they were promising an EQ1 reboot with modern conveniences.

Now I apologize that the moderator on the EQN reddit has the statement in on the reddit even though it may not be acurate, it did however rile me up because we have been told otherwise recently. I was wrong in my assumption that it was an official SOE reddit, I just joined reddit, I simply was ignorant of this.

Now as for this thread we can use it to talk about our disappointment that they are not going for a EQ reboot, our excitement for a sandbox and something different or cake and puppies, your choice, have at it :)

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Those looking for the same ole thing should stick with EQ/EQ2. Those wanting something fresh with the old tied in should give EQN a chance. Reboots are boring and the charm wears quickly. We need a new game for a new generation and for the next 15 years. I loved EQ but don't want EQ 3.
  • YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

As an old EQ player I am being optimistic. However until we learn more, all I can do is wait and see what happens.

Just because I am a fan of the IP, doesn't mean that this new game will be for me, and on the flip side of that coin I really do hope that it is something I can really sink my teeth into because it has been a long since that has happened