Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(POLL): RAIDING- how important is this to you?

Comments

• GreezGreez Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by Sacria

Eve grew boring for me in a matter of days rather than weeks.

WoW grew boring to me in a matter of days. TIL WoW is not successful.

• SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Sacria
    mmorpg Games with no raiding content typically grows boring in less than a week so it's a 10 for me.

I would love it if anyone here could point me to any moderately successfull mmorpg games without raid content 

GW2?

Yes, GW2 is a good example of a game that grew boring very quickly. Not 1 week tho. More like 4-6.

Or is an extremely good example of how raids are not a requirement for success.  Perhaps you're the crowd that screamed they are sick of gear progression and raids and called it the bane of MMOs and yet when put in a game that did not do that then that same crowd started singing a compeletely different tune?

GW2 showed how an MMO does not have to have raids to be successful, granted the game would have been better off as a snadbox design with more freedom and with not quite so repetitive events.  GW2 is not for everyone but it is a very fun game for many.

GW2 was after all one of the largest hyped games in MMO history, so many will be left disappointed and hated on.  No matter how you want to look at it, GW2 IS a success.

Opinions, it sold a lot of copies but it has less than 50k active players so it's hardly a success. No gear progression means it grows boring EXTREMELY fast, look at defiance it's such a good game gameplay wise, but there is nothing to do once you completed the story line so after a week I grew bored of it.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    I found GW2's raids to be pretty lame.  People just seemed to show up, do whatever they want and then leave.  People hardly cooperated or talked to each other.   The reward system didn't even seem to differentiate between people that stood there doing absolutely nothing and those that actually played the primary role in defeating the event.   The same type of raids were done quite a bit better in Rift i thought.  (Although still room for improvement).

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Of EQ no real raid videos detailing strategy exist, and there is an unspoken rule of not releasing strategies when raids are current.

But when a new MMO comes out it is now inevitable that a Youtube idiot will ignore these rules.

So 'youtube idiots' are not constrained by your unspoken 'old boys club' rules?

Yes, I can see how that must be frustrating for the old boys.

Cannot...control...internet....rage! (We've seen that one before, when threats to outcast gamers through blacklisting failed to cow anyone into submission.) Life is rough outside our insular microcosm communities.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

A good sandbox game needs as many forms of progression as possible to make it worth playing in the long term.  Raiding and pve should be some of those forms of progression unless they want their game to feel boring down the line like most sandbox games.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Absolutely ZERO,it is not a needed component of game at all.You can accomplish in your game anything in a Raid without having a raid so why bother with the l33tness nonsense?That si really all it is,a form of L33t talk to make it sound like something so bad ass ,only the l33t should do it.Sorry to burst the bubble but Raid content is EASIER than a tough single group content,if not then the group content is just too easy and should be improved.I guess for the most part most games are not even making group content,that si the real problem,hard to compare Raiding to solo  questing content isn't it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Raiding is why I play MMOs plain and simple, so this to me is the make or break for the game. I don't care if the game has the best graphics and characters, but if there's no raiding it's a no go for me. Thankfully, SOE is not stupid enough to not put raiding in their flagship MMO. If Dragon's Prophet gets raiding so will EQnext.
  • intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Absolutely ZERO,it is not a needed component of game at all.You can accomplish in your game anything in a Raid without having a raid so why bother with the l33tness nonsense?That si really all it is,a form of L33t talk to make it sound like something so bad ass ,only the l33t should do it.Sorry to burst the bubble but Raid content is EASIER than a tough single group content,if not then the group content is just too easy and should be improved.I guess for the most part most games are not even making group content,that si the real problem,hard to compare Raiding to solo  questing content isn't it.

You could not be further from the truth even in the first few sentences of your tirade. It sounds like you're more angry at not ever being able to be a good legit raider rather than the content. The content is incredibly fun and can not be recreated by anything other than organized large group raiding. Carbine is staking a huge chunk of the success of their new game, Wildstar, on 40man raiding for the most hardcore of the hardcore. That scene and hype for that game, and the general excitement, is absolutely booming right now, and for good reason. It's okay to disagree, but your paragraph has nothing but ill-spoken words probably based on some misconception of yours, a bad experience, or personal discontent towards the hardcore elite players, a lot of which are elitist pricks.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I'd much rather have "raids" like we had in UO or DAoC, or possibly SWG, so for me it's a 0. 

Been playing MMOs since  '94 and never had any desire at all for "hardcore raiding".

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Wizardry

lol

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    I went with an 8.  I've been playing GW2 for almost a year now, and that doesn't have raids; so I can clearly survive without them.  But I would greatly prefer the MMO I'm playing to have serious progression raiding.  I miss overcoming super challenging content with a tight group that requires perfect coordination and teamwork.  It's a unique feeling you can't get from anything else in gaming. 
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Homitu
    I miss overcoming super challenging content with a tight group that requires perfect coordination and teamwork.  It's a unique feeling you can't get from anything else in gaming. 

Pretty much, most people raid for the rush you get when you lost 50 times and win, the coordination and debates it requires.

It's fun.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I don't raid.  I'd rather spend my time with other sandboxy elements of a game that's supposed to be a sandbox.  If there are open world boss type fights that require a guild to go in, then that's fine.  But the 3 hour raid where you have to do the same thing over and over and over for weeks to months...that's not my idea of fun.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

It seems that raiding is only being associated with "the elite" and their lewtz. Is a large force challenging a dragon not the pinnacle of the RPG? From this thread it seems people here would basically prefer a graphical representation of a forum where they can click boxes to make things?

It's not always about being better than other people. Killing big things is fun.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    I find raids BORING after about the third or fourth time around. While they are "something to do" I just don't think they are the most fun thing to do. And fun and repetition do not go hand in hand. Devs think they are doing us a service by providing raids that we can repeat over and over and over. I could buy into that if they also made the repeatable raids have much much much more variety.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Raiding brings the worst kind of community to an mmo. Once raiding is in a game that becomes the devs main focus and all you get is more raids every couple of months.

Interesting.  EQ1 is widely regarded as having one of, if not the best community ever in an MMO, and raiding was a HUGE part of the game.

The problem everyone in this thread is making is assuming that raiding = gear treadmill.

That is simply not true.  Even in EQ1 it took until about 3.5 years after release before they started releasing anything that even resembled "tiered" gear.  You can really blame wow for that.  Until WOW, items were handcrafted, they werent assigned some item level that predetermined how many stats they could have and randomly distributed them.  You could get a sword from a level 60 raid mob that was CLEARLY far far better than a sword from another level 60 raid mob.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• ShainnaShainna Member UncommonPosts: 58

I went with a 3 because i know some ppl love raiding, even tho i can't figure out why. I could make a really long boring post but this comic explains it very well.

http://www.darklegacycomics.com/346.html

Everyone has it's own idea of fun, in my case i have great fun exploring a game, slowly leveling and dabling in crafting. I want fun things to do at endgame, but raiding and gear grinding are not fun for me.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

At the end of the day, raiding is a just as important a part of an MMO as dungeons or crafting. For a game to be successful, it must cater to "All Gaming Style" including raiders.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    I choose 3. Not to say I won't ever raid, but PvE is always secondary to me. If the PvP is great in EQNext, that's all I really care about.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i answered "5" in other words right in the middle.

i did this because raids are such a double edged sword.  the feeling of accomplishment can be a super motivator to foster teamwork and therefore community.  but the dreaded treadmill fosters boredom and a sense of repetitive grinding.

if they are there in eqn will i try them?  yeah. (after all they are certainly part of the EQ mythos arent they!)  if they aren't there though i respect the devs' decisions to not include them and i'll try the game no matter.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

In the new and old age of MMO genre starting back from EQ1, PvE Raiding was a huge part of the genre.

its the only form of large scale multiplayer PvE.

but for today's age MMO gamers Raiding has gained a strong negative association. 

I witness this during the Guild Wars 2 hype phase, in which lots of people came out the closet to share this dislike of Raiding.

well how important will raiding be for the EQNEXT community?

I voted 0. From my experiences in WoW and Tor raiding brings out the worst in the gaming community.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by Shainna

I went with a 3 because i know some ppl love raiding, even tho i can't figure out why. I could make a really long boring post but this comic explains it very well.

http://www.darklegacycomics.com/346.html

Everyone has it's own idea of fun, in my case i have great fun exploring a game, slowly leveling and dabling in crafting. I want fun things to do at endgame, but raiding and gear grinding are not fun for me.

i admit the comic made me LOL and certainly had some truth to it, but it discounts that, at least "back when the sh!t was real and games were hard," the real enjoyment of raids was the completion of a hard task, not just to hop on the treadmill.  the treadmill the comic is refering to was borne from the dumbing down of hard raids into just another chore to do when you logon at night.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    [mod edit]

Only if you allow those people into your guild in the first place, and/or keep them in it after they demonstrate what they are.

If a guild has such issues, it's poorly lead.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I would say raiding is of zero importance to *me*.

That said... the reason I don't like raiding may not be the usual one.

My first MMO was Ultima Online...  In that game I loved PvP, Exploring etc  Yet I spent tons of time crafting and had a merchant where I met a lot of people buying my stuff.   Which is why I hate raids... because they become the only real source of equipment and no real crafting economy exists.

Obviously I know that there are a lot of people who wish to raid.. so I would like to see a way those two things could co-exist.. and I don't mean by putting crafting resources inside raids and alienating the crafters who can't get invited to those.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Raiding as we know it needs to change, right now in most games Raid content is under utilized & wasted. IMHO what needs to happen is raids need to be scalable so they can be tackled by small groups (4-6), large groups (7-12) & Raid parties (12-24) the last to could scale up to 30 players but I think the days of huge WOW raids are over.

So you setup your raid instances to scale challenge & gear based on party size but try to preserve the mechanics of complex boss fights as much as possible. On gear perhaps give the same gear at each tied however at 4-6 players the gear only would have stats to affect the player, at 7-12 the gear would have the same player stats as well as group increases/bonuses of some sort. At full raid you'd have the same personal stats on gear plus the highest group increases/bonuses attainable.

This way more players see the content & therefore more raid content gets built.