Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: DK's Ultimate Visual Guide Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The second in a pair of art books devoted to World of Warcraft has been announced for publication later this fall. DK's Big Ultimate Visual Guide to World of Warcraft is scheduled to arrive in bookstores and on virtual retail shelves in September but can be preordered until that time (I know I did!).

Within the guide, gamers can expect to find:

• Loads of gorgeous official full-color artwork from World of Warcraft

• Behind-the-scenes information on the making of World of Warcraft

• A fascinating overview of the characters, lore, locations, and events of World of Warcraft and its expansions

• Images from DC Comics' World of Warcraft comic book series

Check out this sample page:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• syklonissyklonis Member UncommonPosts: 33

Wow's artwork is always a thrill for the eyes, too bad their game can't reflect the same thing. 

It's almost like picking up a comic book with a killer cover done by a great artist only to be let down by absolute crap artwork inside.

To me the artwork should look like the game.  Stylize it, not overly paint realistic looking art.  Talk about false advertisement :)

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by syklonis

Wow's artwork is always a thrill for the eyes, too bad their game can't reflect the same thing. 

It's almost like picking up a comic book with a killer cover done by a great artist only to be let down by absolute crap artwork inside.

To me the artwork should look like the game.  Stylize it, not overly paint realistic looking art.  Talk about false advertisement :)

And then , 250 people in the world would play it because you'd need a ridiculous computer spec to play it...

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by deveilblad

And then , 250 people in the world would play it because you'd need a ridiculous computer spec to play it...

You don't need high tech to make an artistically competent game...

• syklonissyklonis Member UncommonPosts: 33

So I guess only 250 people play MMO's thee days since life after WOW.  As every almost every game after wow looks better.  This is a bad point imo.

I just wish advertising artwork reflected the game you play.  It isn't just Blizzard who does this, many companies do.  And I understand they want to sell a pretty game, that and or sex sells for some companies that I wont mention.

But for example, Wildstar promo art all looks like the actual game you play.  To me they are doing it right :)

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Asamof

You don't need high tech to make an artistically competent game...

Well you have to remember that WoW is 8 years(closing in on 9) old and a lot have happend since. But it is true that MMO´s in general is a bit behind on the curve graphics wise as they put priority on smooth gameplay. Many other genres of games are actually closing in on looking cinematics good in regular gameplay, with sport games leading the pack.

But at the same time, in order to get the best visuals you need a fairly beefy computer. Your moms old single core with 3 gigs of ram will not get you very far.

This have been a good conversation

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Technology has advanced since 2004, you can run beautiful graphics on max without lag on a decent machine now....you just have to upgrade one day from that Pentium 2 333mhz with 16MB ram and Voodoo VGA.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    yea milk that dead cow.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I have all the collector's editions, the art books that came with them are so beautiful!

As for the game's graphics, you guys evidently haven't been to pandaria.  Pandaria on max settings looks totally awesome.  Yet, it can still be played on a 5 year old $299 bargain laptop.  This is where WoW's bread and butter comes in.  It will play good on just about any computer that still runs.  This is where a lot of newer MMOs fall short.  Yeah they got awesome graphics, but it makes things choppy and kills your framerate, unless you're one of the few who has a $2000 custom built gaming rig.  New MMOs kill themselves, by restricting their potential market.  If only 250 computers in the entire world can play a game, it doesn't matter how awesome the graphics are, it's going to fail...

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I have all the collector's editions, the art books that came with them are so beautiful!

As for the game's graphics, you guys evidently haven't been to pandaria.  Pandaria on max settings looks totally awesome.  Yet, it can still be played on a 5 year old $299 bargain laptop.  This is where WoW's bread and butter comes in.  It will play good on just about any computer that still runs.  This is where a lot of newer MMOs fall short.  Yeah they got awesome graphics, but it makes things choppy and kills your framerate, unless you're one of the few who has a $2000 custom built gaming rig.  New MMOs kill themselves, by restricting their potential market.  If only 250 computers in the entire world can play a game, it doesn't matter how awesome the graphics are, it's going to fail...

It looks nice, but isn't even close to modern MMORPG games in terms of graphical quality, specifically because the engine just isn't able to do it. They can add better textures and lighting, but the engines age still shows. Go play Tera, or FFXIV and you will see the insane difference.

• xtrabulletsxtrabullets Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Here's a visual guide for ya WoW..
    1. Update your out of date character models and textures.
    2. Stop making stupid crap that only about 2% of the WoW pop gives a crap about.

The end.