Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should EQN have non-combat professions?

donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
Like dancers in SWG. The dancers provided the game a mechanic  by relieving battle fatigue. In order for non-combat professions to be viable they must be a necessary.

Comments

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    There will the the standard classes like EQ.  If you don't want to combat, you can craft.  There are also the buffing classes (bards and enchanters) that are off to the side but play a highly important roll.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by donpopuki
    Like dancers in SWG. The dancers provided the game a mechanic  by relieving battle fatigue. In order for non-combat professions to be viable they must be a necessary.

Should they be in the game?  Why not?

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Yes please. Maybe not professions per se but give us more to do than fight or to supply people who fight. A true Next Gen sandbox MMO should push the boundaries in this regard.
  • GholosGholos Member Posts: 209

Should EQN have non-combat professions?

In my opinion: no. Norrath is supposed to be a very dangerous place, so you need to have some combat abilities to survive. If you dont like combat and exploration you can focus on crafting.

I personaly hope that in EQN will be the same classes of EQ1.

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
    -Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185

I'm almost positive it will. If you watch this video, Dave Georgeson basically tells us that non-combat rolls will be very important in EQN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt-MEgLXKXs

Also around 44-46ish minutes in this video, Chris Roberts from Star Citizen and Dave both talk about how all roles, even outside of combat, are equally important and the player should be able to choose how they want to play.

http://youtu.be/3aI5CRaQvEg?t=44m15s

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

SWG is really the only game to ever make these work well and interact with the combat classes in a meaningful way.  I want to have them, but only if the world is set up to allow them to interact properly.

I love being a Diplomat in vanguard, but the game world didn't really allow for any meaningful interaction with the other classes, so i just felt like i was playing a separate game from everyone else.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• GreezGreez Member Posts: 103

My main concern with non-combat professions is splinching activities and hyper-specialization.

I hate EVE where if you want to be halfway decent at something you have to put all your skill points into it and you can't really do anything else. I like being able to shoot stuff, explore, and maybe trade a little on the side. I don't want to limit my entire gameplay to one singular activity.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Yes it should, and I think it will.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    It would be nice if we could have 1 combat class, 1 crafting class and 1 fun class (like dancers)

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    It has been discussed that possibly after the big reveal they will do a beta and launch.  If thats correct, all the hard choices have be made for gameplay.  That said, i would not mind seeing non-combat professions in the future. 

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Crafting should be an integral part of EQN just like combat be it PVP or PVE and exploration (initial world maps and afterwards: treasure hunting).

I think crafting should either bit its own profession which allows some combat capabilities (heavy defence in a damage soaking sense, minimal attack capabilities, sort of like a traditional tanking class but lacking any aggro pulling abilities so it does not compete directly with tanks in role) or it should be an alternate means of progression for all classes to specialize in at the expense of their principal class (thus it would become a alternate class system where you could retain some combat capabilities from your chosen class, assuming a rigid class structure, but focusing on crafting skills and investing in certain branches of crafting to allow more advanced armour, light, medium, heavy or hybrids, traditional melee weapons or ranged weapons, also you could have house, ship building, etc branches besides these, each branch and sub-branch would require point investments and points would be limited ergo you'd have to strike a balance between both combat and crafting and between which branches of items you want to craft of quality from within the crafting trees).

Sorry for the block o eyestrain guys... I got carried away in a brainstorm :D .

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Aceshighhhh

I'm almost positive it will. If you watch this video, Dave Georgeson basically tells us that non-combat rolls will be very important in EQN:

Also around 44-46ish minutes in this video, Chris Roberts from Star Citizen and Dave both talk about how all roles, even outside of combat, are equally important and the player should be able to choose how they want to play.

Yes but every character created will be whatever class they choose.

The main thing is that you want to be able to "brag", regardless of how you play.  So you might be a lvl 1 Paladin, but you're also a lvl 50 blacksmith.  You never leveled up your adventuring class, but you're the chief supplier of metal housing materials, heavy armor and metal weapons for your guild.  You contribute, earn bragging rights and progress a character and gather wealth all without fighting a single monster.

That's the point their trying to make.  They're not saying that you're going to create a character who's "Class" is "Tailor".

It'll almost certainly follow standard character creation, where you have to pick a class/race/deity/starting location/name/stats, etc before you enter the game.  Even if you don't choose to use or develop your adventuring skills.

Think of it more like, Vanguard:SOH:

Everyone was some adventuring class/race... but crafting had it's own leveling system, it's own set of crafting gear for crafting bonuses, it even crafted items much like adventuring combat (You had skills, abilities, consumables and you reacted to random crafting complications, the better you "fought" the better / more successful the outcome of the craft was).

In the end, Crafters didn't feel like some side thought.  They felt just as important and detailed as the adventuring classes.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Gallus85

Yes but every character created will be whatever class they choose.

The main thing is that you want to be able to "brag", regardless of how you play.  So you might be a lvl 1 Paladin, but you're also a lvl 50 blacksmith.  You never leveled up your adventuring class, but you're the chief supplier of metal housing materials, heavy armor and metal weapons for your guild.  You contribute, earn bragging rights and progress a character and gather wealth all without fighting a single monster.

That's the point their trying to make.  They're not saying that you're going to create a character who's "Class" is "Tailor".

It'll almost certainly follow standard character creation, where you have to pick a class/race/deity/starting location/name/stats, etc before you enter the game.  Even if you don't choose to use or develop your adventuring skills.

Think of it more like, Vanguard:SOH:

Everyone was some adventuring class/race... but crafting had it's own leveling system, it's own set of crafting gear for crafting bonuses, it even crafted items much like adventuring combat (You had skills, abilities, consumables and you reacted to random crafting complications, the better you "fought" the better / more successful the outcome of the craft was).

In the end, Crafters didn't feel like some side thought.  They felt just as important and detailed as the adventuring classes.

I never said non-combat professions will be "classes".... You basically just agreed with me.

My point is that roles outside of just combat like crafting, gathering, exploring, etc will play a very integral part in EverQuest Next. The game will be just as focused around these roles as it is around combat - like Dave mentions in the video.

I still have a hunch that EQN will be a skill-based design rather than a traditional linear leveling system, and part of this skill system would include a vast amount skills and roles outside of purely combat.

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    I'd love to see it.  Providing more things to do, more systems, for players to create their own content provides for deeper gameplay.  I find myself playing games with more than just combat for years where combat only tends to get stale after a few months.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Sure why not you know, lots of people enjoy crafting or playing cards or other activities, why not let them join in on the fun.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    There will the the standard classes like EQ.  If you don't want to combat, you can craft.  There are also the buffing classes (bards and enchanters) that are off to the side but play a highly important roll.

And you know this how?

In an interview with Curse they said players would be allowed to enjoy what they enjoy, they mentioned crafting, raiding, grinding....they will leave it up to the player to design their path I believe. I actually think this is why they call the game a sandbox, but of course that's just speculation from me.

He smiles all the time doesn't he. He hopefully does more interviews, he's so optimistic.

I never said non-combat professions will be "classes".... You basically just agreed with me.

My point is that roles outside of just combat like crafting, gathering, exploring, etc will play a very integral part in EverQuest Next. The game will be just as focused around these roles as it is around combat - like Dave mentions in the video.

I still have a hunch that EQN will be a skill-based design rather than a traditional linear leveling system, and part of this skill system would include a vast amount skills and roles outside of purely combat.

That's what you might have meant, but you said "I'm almost positive it will." when talking to the guy who was basically talking about "Non-Combat Classes".  Like create character, {Do you want to be a Paladin OR Cook?}.

I have no doubt that they're going to make non-combat aspects of the game just as important as the combat aspects.  I wouldn't be surprised if crafting was, as I said, like In Vanguard.

Where Crafters have their own gear, stats, crafting skills, quests, etc... and are not trivialized in the game itself.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there's more than just Adventurer vs crafter.

Something like Vanguard's Diplomacy system, which was like a 3rd option.

Maybe even more than that.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Telondariel

And you know this how?

Because they said so?

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Considering that Georgensen said specifically in one of the recent interviews that mmo's have become synonymous with the idea that you must be in combat to be a part of it and that shouldn't be the case, and other comments about being able to do what you want in the world - I feel pretty confident there are going to be non-combat options / professions