Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Attention Crafters/Gatherers: This is a surprisingly good game for us.

Comments

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

If people have all invested all their prowess in all fighting callses what hinders them top become crafters of all crafts ?

in a year everyone can have every crafting mastery   or sooner depending on the base dweller mentality of DF players.

Baseline everyone can craft everything.

Everyone admit, harvesting and ctafting isn't a fun activity in it itself and Tasos even suggests to look at other parts of the game.

Bottom line DF offers almost nothing for a crafter type of person. A crafter is a supporter doing boring stuff to please the combat guys demands, basically a slave doing nothing exciting..

The stories above from soloer accept DF simplicistic subpar crafting is because they NOT doing just crafts but they combat toons WHICH beside the main activity do crafts. Well because crafting is supbar and not worth as activity in itself. Except for slave type of nature which accept doing boring things with no excitment.

There is many MMORPG's with superior crafting, instead of DF's shallow and simplicistic and dumped down game experience for crafter.

The correct subject should be:

ATTENTION crafter, avoid at all costs.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Anyone can craft anything, but not everyone can craft everything.

The ability is craft everything is gated by:

1. Prowess- 10k per Mastery.

2. Resources- Try gathering all those resources to craft all your armor needs (not to mention boats, siege equipment, cities, potions, etc.)

3. Time- See #2.

I am able to craft R40 Robes, and R30 Staves. If I want better, I need to go to someone else. I spent 10k prowess to be able to make those R40 robes. I can bake potatoes, and I still have a supply of them. And I still have potions from pve, but my supply is dwindling. Eventually I will have to buy, craft, or loot my potions.

I don't craft boats, battle ships, city mods, battle spikes, siege hammers, shields, weapons, high level weapons, bows, high level bows, cannons, black powder, potions, high level food, or high level staves.

If I need any of those things, I have to acquire them some way other than crafting.

The introduction of the Danger Areas helped alleviate some crafter boredom.

If you are looking to gather rare materials, you have to take some risk and leave the safezone.

But you can still get everything you need in the safezone to craft common equipment. I think it's a great system.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by MmmBeefy

Contrary to popular belief, this is not a PvP only game, I would actually suggest that this is mostly an economic game with PvP as the primary money sink.  Some things to know:

1.  There is no NPC armor/weapons.  There are no gear drops that are better than player-created gear.  When a player dies, they potentially lose all their gear and need to replace it.  Consistent demand and stable prices!

2.  There are no gear repairs.  When a weapon or piece of armor goes to zero durability, it's done.  Again, consistent demand and stable prices

3.  There is crafting of both weapons/armor/potions/etc., but also mounts, boats, and building materials.

4.  You can obtain most of the raw materials in the safe zones, and the rest from the markets.  You actually do not have to take one step out of the safe zones (which are surprisingly large) to have a full crafting/gathering experience.

This is really an ideal game for people preferring crafting/gathering as their primary activity in-game, and you will have a pretty important effect on the outcomes of the game (a guild with great, dedicated crafters has a big advantage over guilds that don't).

i agree 75% with the OP.

point 4 is my point of contention, because for me as someone who loves crafting, the thrill of gathering outside the safe zone, as well as the increased reward of rare drops from gathering under threat of doom, is what makes gathering enjoyable rather than a chore.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

If people have all invested all their prowess in all fighting callses what hinders them top become crafters of all crafts ?

in a year everyone can have every crafting mastery   or sooner depending on the base dweller mentality of DF players.

Everyone admit, harvesting and ctafting isn't a fun activity in it itself and Tasos even suggests to look at other parts of the game.

Bottom line DF offers almost nothing for a crafter type of person. A crafter is a supporter doing boring stuff to please the combat guys demands, basically a slave doing nothing exciting..

The stories above from soloer accept DF simplicistic subpar crafting is because they NOT doing just crafts but they combat toons WHICH beside the main activity do crafts. Well because crafting is supbar and not worth as activity in itself. Except for slave type of nature which accept doing boring things with no excitment.

There is many MMORPG's with superior crafting, instead of DF's shallow and simplicistic and dumped down game experience for crafter.

the pvp games where peoples stuff blows up are the perfect game for many crafters.   DFUW, eve.

remember just because you find some activity boring doesnt mean everyone does. 

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    You don't sell that low lvl stuff. You salvage it....
  • benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    You don't sell that low lvl stuff idd. You salvage it...
    Originally posted by itchmon

the pvp games where peoples stuff blows up are the perfect game for many crafters.   DFUW, eve.

Just don't misrepresent it as good.

Its that boring that people watch movies or doing homework or something else ..

IT IS JUST THAT BAD as activity ..this is the plain truth about DF's boring crafting/gathering.

There are much better games for crafters to build excelent stuff and feeling creative and having fun doing it.

Tasos suggest to check other aspects of the game asked about crafting...It is THAT BAD..

don't lie to people. DF's crafting is subpar

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by itchmon

Just don't misrepresent it as good.

Its that boring that people watch movies or doing homework or something else ..

IT IS JUST THAT BAD as activity ..this is the plain truth about DF's boring crafting/gathering.

There are much better games for crafters to build excelent stuff and feeling creative and having fun doing it.

Tasos suggest to check other aspects of the game asked about crafting...It is THAT BAD..

don't lie to people. DF's crafting is subpar

I get your sole purpose here is to bash darkfall, however, some times I need a game where there is a break from intense action.  Too much action gets tiring, and when im relaxing, chatting on vent, watching some tv, or browsing the web, its nice to be able to progress and enhance the action part of the game.

Games that are 100% action packed non stop...I just wont play them unless I feel like it.  Thing is DF seems to be best of both worlds, action when you want it and the ability to sit back, chill, and make some progress/get mats for gear ect.

Yeah its just semi afk harvesting (though might not want to do that in unsafe zones) and afk spam crafting.  Doesn't mean that its not vital, and certainly doesn't mean theres not a lot of people who enjoy it.

your making it out to be an awful experience that everyone hates, but that's simply not true...yeah the ADD crowd of kids tend to hate it though...so perhaps that's where your coming from.

Most normal people move on and don't devote so much time towards something they don't like...DF gives you the option to do that if you hate crafting, and gives you the option to not really focus on PVP...theres plenty of people who have never crafted a thing or hit a single node in game...they go out hunting the harvesters and raid cities trying to catch crafters sleeping.

People are saying the crafting is good because you really are rewarded for your time put into it...clans will have people donate stuff to you to advance you, you can make a LOT of in game money doing it, its in high demand, theres a good economy with gear constantly needing replacement...and theres actually risk to getting the good mats yourself, you need to put yourself into an unsafe situation that can be ripe with paranoida...some like that.

Semi afk activity  is not acceptable to be rated "good" for an MMORPG.

Its subpar. Not worth  >.<

AV did  promised fun item creation process and made it sound like next gen and it ended up as a mediocre semi - afk activity ?

Truth has to be told, DF UW is for free for all, full loot PvP'er and noone else.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Dumb question: What makes DFUW's crafting better than Mortal Online's? I mean in Mortal skills need to be brought up to get good quality items, you mix and match materials to get differing qualities of items from the same template, etc. Where does DFUW stand out here?

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Dumb question: What makes DFUW's crafting better than Mortal Online's? I mean in Mortal skills need to be brought up to get good quality items, you mix and match materials to get differing qualities of items from the same template, etc. Where does DFUW stand out here?

MO's crafting is far more complex and in-depth than DFUWs. But DFUW as a game is x100 times better, with a larger community.

Originally posted by Greymoor

MO's crafting is far more complex and in-depth than DFUWs. But DFUW as a game is x100 times better, with a larger community.

I asked about crafting and you answered and gave me your subjective opinion on the value of the game, could also point out that MO's devs actually talk to their community on a daily or weekly basis and improve the game based on feedback without compromising the game's feel (kind of like how CCP has been doing since the Monoclegate).

I asked about crafting and you answered and gave me your subjective opinion on the value of the game, could also point out that MO's devs actually talk to their community on a daily or weekly basis and improve the game based on feedback without compromising the game's feel (kind of like how CCP has been doing since the Monoclegate).

I also told you about crafting. But even though MOs crafting is better I'd never recommend someone who enjoys crafting to play MO over DFUW for a long list of other reasons.

DFUW devs communicate on a weekly basis and directly in-game too with weekly patches, with the recent patches being absolutely brilliant.

I also told you about crafting. But even though MOs crafting is better I'd never recommend someone who enjoys crafting to play MO over DFUW for a long list of other reasons.

DFUW devs communicate on a weekly basis and directly in-game too with weekly patches, with the recent patches being absolutely brilliant.

And Mortal Online's had 2 expansions and has been (slowly) getting better (has had two expansions by what I can see) and you can often run into the devs on the game's official IRC channel. Where's the suck in the equation?

And Mortal Online's had 2 expansions and has been (slowly) getting better (has had two expansions by what I can see) and you can often run into the devs on the game's official IRC channel. Where's the suck in the equation?

I'm not turning this into an MO v.s. DFUW debate, it's common knowledge that MO has been released for years now in a terrible condition (and apprently now very slowly improving).

MO still adds to the sandbox thats the difference (didnt heard about adding golbal auction houses and insta get back to corpse, classes at all the themepark of DF).  DF:UW droped the ball and now its a game for FPS guys to brag about their winning PvP moves and this class does that and that class do this, check out the original forum.

Complex concepts like crafting have a pretty low place in such a environment and thats exactly how devs plan for DF  given that  Tasos tells everyone to check other aspects of the game other then crafting.

MO has cool crafting, but who are you going to craft for in that empty world?

If you're a crafter, and you want to advance your character by crafting, and you want a relevant game with a population to commerce with, Darkfall is a good choice.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Could someone be more specific about crafters being able to stay in the safe zones? Could I make some sought after gear if I only stay in the safe zones? I hate PvP, but I love crafting. I would play just to craft if this is possible...
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    Could someone be more specific about crafters being able to stay in the safe zones? Could I make some sought after gear if I only stay in the safe zones? I hate PvP, but I love crafting. I would play just to craft if this is possible...

Yeah you can stay in the safe zones, although the more rare components now drop more the farther you are from the safe zone. The doesn't stop you from buying/selling/trading to get the things you need if you are adament about staying in the safe zone.

Rare Materials aren't needed until Mastery Level crafting, anyways.. So you can make everything you need to wear common level (up to rank 30) gear in the safe zone.

You can also risk going out to dangerous areas to mine with minimal losses if you're caught.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Lustmord
    Originally posted by Thorkune

Yeah you can stay in the safe zones, although the more rare components now drop more the farther you are from the safe zone. The doesn't stop you from buying/selling/trading to get the things you need if you are adament about staying in the safe zone.

Rare Materials aren't needed until Mastery Level crafting, anyways.. So you can make everything you need to wear common level (up to rank 30) gear in the safe zone.

Thanks for your help

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

So if the best gear comes from crafting, I guess there are no legendary weapons which you can get from killing boss mobs or epic quests?

And please dont say those aspects are for ThemeParks only. Asheron's Call 1 had both those aspects and it certainly was no ThemePark.

Originally posted by Yamota

So if the best gear comes from crafting, I guess there are no legendary weapons which you can get from killing boss mobs or epic quests?

And please dont say those aspects are for ThemeParks only. Asheron's Call 1 had both those aspects and it certainly was no ThemePark.

Such mobs drop items for rank 80 equipment, rank 80 equipment are the equivilient to legendary items. They're named and so rare i've never seen anyone using them yet.

Originally posted by Lustmord

MO has cool crafting, but who are you going to craft for in that empty world?

If you're a crafter, and you want to advance your character by crafting, and you want a relevant game with a population to commerce with, Darkfall is a good choice.

It's a trade-off unlike what you're suggesting: The more people in-game the more chances to actually ply your trade selling wares to other players or accepting commissions from them but this also increases the odds of getting ganked when venturing out to gather materials and reduces the overall need a crafter has to actually go out and look for customers.

Also as stated DFUW does not place crafters in high regard whereas in MO the system is already deep and last expansion they got another batch of item schematics to work with in crafting. By what I've heard the MO devs place importance on all the facets of the game and unlike DFUW you can try the game for free (it has a F2P option which is unlimited but caps skill progression at 60 where the maximum is 100 for sub players and it doesn't have any hidden fees, free client, free account, free expansions like EVE-Online does it).

Oh and as an added fact: The reason why MO is unpopular is because A) yes it launched in a similar stated to DF 1 (quite broken) but it has gotten better and B) The combat system is a Hell of allot deeper where weapon reach , direction of the attack, etc, affect how you should block it because blocking as well is directional, block left when he's attacking via right and you done nothing, by what I hear DFUW is allot more... user friendly.