Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription Based for real?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by rykim86
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    This game will fail as a sub MMO.  If TOR couldn't survive as one as large of an IP as it is, why would this do any better when its essentially a WOW clone done worse. 

What?  TOR was a POS.  My friends who are some of the most avid MMO players and Star Wars fans (their entire north wall shelves all the Star Wars novels to date) even call it a POS.

The IP wasn't the problem my friend.

Really? your friends? Oh my!!!!

Personally I would never use my own friends as a barometer on trends or opinions as usually my friends' attitudes, for the most part align with mine.

I would much rather use disparate groups to gauge what people think and then take into consideration that group.

The people I know, who I wouldn't classify as friiends, who play SWToR like the game.

Since the game, other than the pvp portion, is exactly what the developres said it would be I usually chalk up the intense dislike to people who had no clue what they were getting themselves into.

As far as this game, it will gather fans and those fans won't have a problem paying the pittance that is the monthly fee.

Since the game director has already given his stance on why it's p2p (long haul commitment as opposed to short term) I believe they have a decent idea of what they are getting themselves into. As long as they can keep maxed players busy between updates, they will do well.

and bravo to them for doing so.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Personally I would never use my own friends as a barometer on trends or opinions as usually my friends' attitudes, for the most part align with mine.

I would much rather use disparate groups to gauge what people think and then take into consideration that group.

The people I know, who I wouldn't classify as friiends, who play SWToR like the game.

Since the game, other than the pvp portion, is exactly what they said it would be I usually chalk up the intense dislike to people who had no clue what they were getting themselves in.

As far as this game, it will gather fans and those fans won't have a problem paying the pittance that is the monthly fee.

Since the game director has already given his stance on why it's p2p (long haul commitment as opposed to short term) I believe they have a decent idea of what they are getting themselves into. As long as they can keep maxed players busy between updates, they will do well.

This is very true. I hate TOR, my wife loves it. I love my wife, she hates me. I pay some hooker a monthly sub because my wife hates me. I don't ask my wife what she thinks of my hooker. So I see where you are coming from! (I'll have to ask my hooker about TOR)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Since the game, other than the pvp portion, is exactly what they said it would be I usually chalk up the intense dislike to people who had no clue what they were getting themselves in.

This is very true. I hate TOR, my wife loves it. I love my wife, she hates me. I pay some hooker a monthly sub because my wife hates me. I don't ask my wife what she thinks of my hooker. So I see where you are coming from! (I'll have to ask my hooker about TOR)

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I will GLADLY pay a sub fee to keep out the F2P asshats who want every single thing for free, and generally ruin the game community. Add in some depth and difficulty to get rid of the WoWtards, and we have a hit on our hands.
  • MegaTrANMegaTrAN Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I would Buy to Play the game but I dont think it is Sub Worthy.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by crimzonxskyz

There are tons of cash shop non sub based games out there that you CAN play... so why bitch about this one.

Cash shop f2p games bring the hordes of ass holes, cheap gamers, and whiney trolling ass hats who think they should be able to buy cosmetic goodies and bonuses that ultimately give you no real sense of accomplishment.

do you know what this word means, have you ever attained this feeling? Probably not because you've only ever played non sub based f2p mmos that eventually lose there flavor.

so my solution / suggestion to you ass hats who want this outa ffxiv... stop being cheap, dont be an ass hat, or earn your stripes.

BECAUSE this mmo does not fit or cater to your casual life style, and you feel like whining over it does not mean they will / should change it, I am actually happy that this will not be a butt slut mmo that any1 who FEELS like playing it at that point in time can jump in and play. It is going to have players that know what they want out of a game, and PAY for what they want / are getting. Which you would know if were weren't a cheap whore waiting to pass the STD infested f2p game you are playing around with now onto the next one.

I.E. - " dude sweet axe where did you get it, some bad ass monster / boss you had to actually strategize to kill and possibly not win the roll for vs another person "

cash shop player " Nah dude get the fuck outa here, I bought this shit for 5$ duckets dumb ass... "

me  - V-------------------------------V

Go play your triple A mmo World of Wackness now...

Yep.

To be honest, this game wouldn't have to be as good as it is and I'm still in.  Up until recently, I'd been deliberating over returning to WoW no matter how bad it had gotten, it was still a sub based game. 

I have been playing other games and right now, I am so fed up with Cash Shops and entitlement mentalities from players. I am done with F2P and B2P bullshit. With their cash shop RNG mechanics and real money conversions .....But OH! It's not P2W as if that mattered.

WoW appears to be looking to sell out soon, this game may very well be the last MMORPG with no money conversion (The real poison of Cash Shops) For as long as this game is Sub no shop, I'm staying subbed.  If it ever comes down to a Cash Shop, and there are no more options elsewhere, I'm walking away from the genre

• VentlusVentlus Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by mcrippins
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Soltek

So is FFXIV really going to be Subscription based? And if so will it have a cash shop? I'm finding it hard to believe. I don't think there's been a new triple A subscription based MMORPG since WoW in 2004.

FF IP has many followers who will happily subscribe for this game.

If it wasn't for the huge FF fanbase this game would have gone F2P within 6 months.

Sta Trek had many follower more than FF, Star Wars has many followers. more than FF, Warhammer has many followers again more than FF. IP and followers means nothing these days.

You can give IP fans a MMO which will cure cancer and they still wouldn't support it as a P2P model in long run.

Can you please stop attempting to predict the future. Star Trek had a horrible release, and while I've heard positive things about the game lately, a bad first impression can make a big difference. SWTOR was actually a quality game in some areas. However it was also a huge letdown in others. Seemed more like a single player game when I played. Warhammer is actually the only relevant reference here, as it actually started off as a game. FF has a gamer following. A loyal fan base at that. 

Something else to think about. FFXIV is an MMO being developed by the company that contributed/made the original series of games. They know what kind of world they want. They've been doing this for a very long time.  You take games like Star Trek and SWTOR. For the most part decent games, but they were just put together based on a story someone else told them. It wasn't their original vision. It's their own take on what it should be. 

One last point. People are noticing that f2p games simply aren't worth the effort or investment. Often times these people are the ones that are putting in money into the 'cash shop'. These people realize how much of a ripoff it is, and sometimes would rather pay to play a game where everyone else is paying, and the playing field is the same for everyone. Who knows, maybe you're one of those people that doesn't pay a dime. Which means you play for free, because others pay. Nothing is free in this world. Not sure why you would expect your entertainment to be, and it's even worse if you expect everyone else to pay so you don't have to. 

1. FFXIV also has a bad first impression, remember this is version 2.0 launching.

2. F2P is no more or less a ripoff than P2P because innovation and the love of the art of game making is not longer present in most MMOs these days regardless of payment model. The few that still show some promise of being crafted not stamped out are almost all exclusively F2P titles, amusing isn't it?

1. yea it did

2. people aren’t arguing innovation by their pay model. What is different with f2p to p2p is their content schedules. P2P can offer content on a consistent basis, because it knows the profit it will make and adjust accordingly. F2P majority of times offers a cash shop such as neverwinter, They make majority of their money off this, and release content sporadically. Its how all perfect world games are that are f2p, I played jade dynast for a good time and took forever for them to release an actual content update. So that’s one example of f2p. For a b2p game like guildwars 2, it worked with the original guildwars what changed in guildwars 2. In guildwars 2 they offered cash shop from day 1 and they make majority of money in the cash shop, bedsides for the initial payment charge. They are finally starting to release content to the game but it isn’t progression based you can clear it quickly. So theirs a lack of end game and micro content.

You state that almost exclusively F2P games are showing the promise of being crafted. And I would like to ask you then what titles are these.  Just going off mmorpgs top 10 most popular games. EQ isn’t out yet and I believe it will be subscription based. Guildwars 2, explained my view on this. Eso will probably release subscription but go b2p/f2p with its bad pr. Rift f2p, its basically in same themepark of WoW. WoW number 1 example of how a subscription based mmo can survive. Swtor, went f2p, has so many things that you have to unlock through the cash shop and restrictions on f2p. Wildstar not out yet who knows their model. Neverwinter charges you out the ass with their cash shop as, with any perfect world mmo. Secret world b2p, I actually kind of like this game but not to many content releases as their having to rely off their cash shop and one time payments.  So only came across a couple f2p titles on the current top 10 rift being the best model of the few in my opinion. So now off the top of my head when I think of other f2p games I think of firefall which has not had the greatest reviews, tera  was an alright game at first but became meh cause of content now their cash shop reliant. Idk perhaps I’m not versed on these amazing f2p games with their amazing innovation, but to me it just seems like their release micro content and cash shop updates to attempt to make me play the game as long as possible to drain money from users. If I play FFXIV for example I pay 13$ a month I have a crap ton of content to clear, and by the time I do that they will come out with more, their devs are always open with their release of content so I never have to wander for months when is something new about to come out.

And the number 1 different most people see in F2P and P2P models is the community. P2p games generally have a better community, in comparison to F2P games. Example FFXI my favorite mmo to date amazing community. F2P game jade dynasty, held my attention for like just under a year mainly cause of the bot system. Horrible community, half the time server spent time taking trash to one another (which is kind of to be expected since was more of a pvp game). Anyhow people could find endless example of p2p communities being better then f2p. FFXI has been p2p for 11 years now, and ffxiv arr will follow its example, it will have the subscriptions it needs to stay relevant. As for f2p, its all about the short term which is why I think this fad with these games are starting to arise. Don’t have to put to much effort its free. People start to get bored of this concept as they get bored of any concept, I really don’t see it continuing for to long. And if you can show me a F2P game with a great community, not super connected to the cash shop where I don’t have to rely on it, its innovated out the ass, I have a nonstop source of content, then show me this god like mmo. Currently for F2p I have yet to see this (also good graphics but that’s a personal taste nothing to do with mmo :<). But yea rift is currently best f2p model and it’s a bit to similar to wow to me so I don’t see these god like f2p games your talking about. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Arthasm I think those demanding F2P just prove how their F2P games are total worthless piece of shit. Cause instead of playing their lovely game, they come here and QQ and demand F2P for next title. I guess taste of those games are just like real shit (I know taste, I ate it), so they want candy without paying? Yes, it's candy for me, but if you call it shit, why even botter if some of us will pay for shit? Yoshi P already said - pay or gtfo! It's very simple.    
    Arguing that P2P MMOS are failing left and right and that more and more players prefer F2P model doesn't mean people are demanding FFXIV to go F2P. I think you need to read the topic again thoroughly. 

Also did you say you ate shit?  

LOL

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• QuorinaQuorina Member Posts: 41
    Personally I don't mind that this game is going P2P. I'd rather that than a freemium game with a cash shop that pushes its wares in your face literally every second, or offers a sub as well as free play but still pushes its cash shop in your face while you're subbed (think SWTOR here). This game is quality, imo, and therefore I don't mind paying the $15 or less or whatever it is going to cost.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I do not know about the rest of you whether I play a game has never hinged on whether I had to pay to play it at all. I suppose I am in the minority since I see so many threads here about f2p being the way the games should go. No game can hold my interest just because it is free and no game can keep me because I am paying. I sincerely hope players are not so shallow as to stinge on their entertainment, it makes close no sense at all considering the sheer investment one pours into these titles to actually make paying 15 a month as a criteria.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    Happy that it is Sub based.  I will never play a F2P MMO ever again.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by BrooksTech

See you when all MMOs stop being pay via cash to play :).

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by BrooksTech

See you when all MMOs stop being pay via cash to play :).

If we reach a point where ALL MMO's are F2P, I'd quit MMO's and go back to SPG's...

I don't have to buy extra bag space for my new character in FF !

Such a small thing, but it makes me irrationally happy, because I'm a packrat and altaholic.

With a monthly sub, I know everything I see or want in game can be earned in game. And can be earned within a reasonable (to me) timeframe.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

It will never survive as sub based. 

I was gonna play but won't now, after guild wars 2 I will never play another game on a sub based model.

GW2 has shown that you don't need to take every dollar from a player.

And yeah it's a wow clone better someways worse others, not for me.

This guy trolling? still trying to figure out the difference between seriousness and trolling ... some trolls are very good at trolling subtly.

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142
    After playing it a good bit I could see it being worth B2P but I can't really see how it's worth a subscription with everything else available without one these days, unless your a seriously hardcore FF Fan.
  • kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130

Want to know why F2P is terrible? 

So Imagine both devs want to add a rare mount to the game.

The P2P game dev would craft a lengthy quest line , ensures it fits the lore of the area maybe adds a boss or mob encounter Giving a sense of acomplishment once a player finally get its.

The F2P dev? "Gimme $20 and its yours"

How do people defend this F2P crap in MMO's? Its killing us

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I love that this game is subscription based.

GW2 really soured me to F2P / B2P.

I was given the option of grinding for a very large number of hours in the same handful of dungeons or event chains to get good gear, or I just spent 20$ IRL money and bought it all off the AH.

12.99 is nothing for many, many hours of entertainment IMO, and it is EVERYTHING for preventing the kind of garbage/crap I've seen in every single F2P or B2P game like lock boxes and unapologetic grinding (to persuade you into cash shop.)

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I was given the option of grinding for a very large number of hours in the same handful of dungeons or event chains to get good gear, or I just spent 20$ IRL money and bought it all off the AH.

12.99 is nothing for many, many hours of entertainment IMO, and it is EVERYTHING for preventing the kind of garbage/crap I've seen in every single F2P or B2P game like lock boxes and unapologetic grinding (to persuade you into cash shop.)

If you're forced into the cash shop to get the best gears in GW2 there's something very seriously wrong with you. Because with casual grinding 1 dungeon per day I can get full maxed exotic gears in 2 weeks or so, that's how easy it is to get maxed gears in GW2

So what if you don't like lockboxes? They're totally optional and give you no advantages. Just because you don't like them you want others to not use them? This is the kind of elitism that disgust me.

Knowing you, badspock, after 2 months or so you'll be here complaining how bored you are with this game, just like other games before ;)

And apparently P2P games don't forced you into unapologetic grinding to keep you subscribed, not at all ;), face it, P2P or F2P, you're both forced into grinding for different reasons but in the end still just to keep the developer profited

But the best thing about no subscription? I can quit and comeback whenever I want, I never feel forced to play the game just to get my money worth. With F2P and B2P, I know that I don't have to pray that the next content patch will come soon and will be good enough to feel my subscription worth it.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    To me Box price and Sub fee is there to recoup the development cost of the game, once that's done I believe the game will begin to go towards f2p, probably P2P=>B2P=>F2P. It's smart, early adopters who are often willing to pay more to be early adopters are used to recoup costs and afterwards it's profit.
  • RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    Originally posted by free2play

I'm sure it will be a dead zone like other subscription based MMO's.

World of Warcraft,

EVE Online.

Total wasteland.

ya exept they arnt, bu the way WoW is STILL making more money then any other MMO out there so I don't think you can call it a failure yet.

that aside this game being a sub game without cash shop, is just icing on the cake, for me. now that im in beta I can see for myself first hand the gme is well made better then most MMOs comeing out of late, and I know I will get more then my monies worth.

I dunno how people can claim WoW doesn't have a cash shop... Log onto the website and you can buy mounts and other pets... That's a cash shop. GG WoW Already has one, it's just not "in-game" so they can get away with it.

However, in the future WoW might have an in-game cash shop, then I'm sure everyone will flip out.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Originally posted by Raunu
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    Originally posted by free2play

I'm sure it will be a dead zone like other subscription based MMO's.

World of Warcraft,

EVE Online.

Total wasteland.

ya exept they arnt, bu the way WoW is STILL making more money then any other MMO out there so I don't think you can call it a failure yet.

that aside this game being a sub game without cash shop, is just icing on the cake, for me. now that im in beta I can see for myself first hand the gme is well made better then most MMOs comeing out of late, and I know I will get more then my monies worth.

I dunno how people can claim WoW doesn't have a cash shop... Log onto the website and you can buy mounts and other pets... That's a cash shop. GG WoW Already has one, it's just not "in-game" so they can get away with it.

However, in the future WoW might have an in-game cash shop, then I'm sure everyone will flip out.

Some will flip out sure, some may even quit the game, but the lost sub revenue will be balanced with the success of the cash shop and it will be a success. Just because here or on the officials forums people speak out against cash shops, don't ever forget that forums are always the vocal minority.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628
    I'm glad this is has a monthly fee with no cash shop. I play mmos primarily for their non combat aspects ie crafting, economy, roleplay, housing etc. Cash shops hurt those aspects of gameplay to the point that I don't play mmos with cash shops anymore. I don't want to log into my favorite mmo and deal with monetary choices that have nothing to do with my character, the game world or its lore. Seeing cosmetic items in a cash shop is a slap in the face to any dedicated crafter. We should be making the cosmetic items, we should be taming those exotic pets. We should be crafting exotic weapon models. Tired of crafting mundane items that nobody wants while cash shops rake it in by selling exclusive and unique items.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Foomerang
    I'm glad this is has a monthly fee with no cash shop. I play mmos primarily for their non combat aspects ie crafting, economy, roleplay, housing etc. Cash shops hurt those aspects of gameplay to the point that I don't play mmos with cash shops anymore. I don't want to log into my favorite mmo and deal with monetary choices that have nothing to do with my character, the game world or its lore. Seeing cosmetic items in a cash shop is a slap in the face to any dedicated crafter. We should be making the cosmetic items, we should be taming those exotic pets. We should be crafting exotic weapon models. Tired of crafting mundane items that nobody wants while cash shops rake it in by selling exclusive and unique items.

I find myself disagreeing with you very often, but this is a point of view I can absolutely understand and support. It's a shame there's so few good ideas about non-combat content these days.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by Foomerang I'm glad this is has a monthly fee with no cash shop. I play mmos primarily for their non combat aspects ie crafting, economy, roleplay, housing etc. Cash shops hurt those aspects of gameplay to the point that I don't play mmos with cash shops anymore. I don't want to log into my favorite mmo and deal with monetary choices that have nothing to do with my character, the game world or its lore. Seeing cosmetic items in a cash shop is a slap in the face to any dedicated crafter. We should be making the cosmetic items, we should be taming those exotic pets. We should be crafting exotic weapon models. Tired of crafting mundane items that nobody wants while cash shops rake it in by selling exclusive and unique items.
    I find myself disagreeing with you very often, but this is a point of view I can absolutely understand and support. It's a shame there's so few good ideas about non-combat content these days.

hehe well thank you :)
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by SnarkRitter
    Originally posted by BadSpock

If you're forced into the cash shop to get the best gears in GW2 there's something very seriously wrong with you. Because with casual grinding 1 dungeon per day I can get full maxed exotic gears in 2 weeks or so, that's how easy it is to get maxed gears in GW2

So what if you don't like lockboxes? They're totally optional and give you no advantages. Just because you don't like them you want others to not use them? This is the kind of elitism that disgust me.

Knowing you, badspock, after 2 months or so you'll be here complaining how bored you are with this game, just like other games before ;)

And apparently P2P games don't forced you into unapologetic grinding to keep you subscribed, not at all ;), face it, P2P or F2P, you're both forced into grinding for different reasons but in the end still just to keep the developer profited

But the best thing about no subscription? I can quit and comeback whenever I want, I never feel forced to play the game just to get my money worth. With F2P and B2P, I know that I don't have to pray that the next content patch will come soon and will be good enough to feel my subscription worth it.

I have to agree with Spock on this one. The cash shop is one of the main reasons I left GW2 as well. I enjoyed the game a lot, Leveled 5 to 80 fully geared. The biggest reason I detest cash shops isn't P2W or even some subtle mechanics (assuming they don't go overboard). It's the ability to convert real money to in game money. And I don't buy the counter that everyone does it anyway. I bought gems in GW2. But I never bought Gold in WoW. I was too afraid of getting hacked or banned and I think you'd find that to be more common than not.