Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please skip this game

Comments

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by ROFLcopter13

As the title says, reasons outlined below. This is just my opinion, if you want to waste time on this clusterfuck then go ahead. And I dont care if you agree with me or not so troll/flame away fanbois.

trolling i have not read cut ....

Peace.

One of my most basic rules when reading some article is: if you see in title something like that "Please skip this game" please just skip trolling post. Simple as that.

DO NOT TELL ME WHAT SHOULD I PLAY OR NOT, SKIP OR NOT, ... JUST EXPOSE YOUR ARGUMENTS AND LEAVE ***TO ME*** TO DECIDE WHAT I WILL DO. SKIPPED ALL YOUR TROLLING.

• cyriciancyrician Member UncommonPosts: 189

Personally there are 4 reasons I like firefall .

1. The game is not easy ( in fact if you don't pay attention in combat a large squad can appear and wipe you out)

2. The crafting is insanely complicated until you actualy do it for a week ( recommend researching refining IV as soon as possible.)

3. In combat you have to keep moving ( or you'll fall down.)

4. Jump jets !!!!

the game needs more areas but exploring finds interesting things . I try to do my dailies once a day and always have something researching. 

Current games;
    Star treck online
    Rift
    Eve online
    Firefall

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    I laughed at the "Red 5 doesnt care about its players". OP must have missed the time when Red 5 completely redid mechanics based on player feedback.
  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Originally posted by ozmono
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    How did hitler enter this thread? /facepalm

Are you familiar with Godwin's law?

are you ? You really do suck at reading..

Yes I am familiar with it. Note again, how I respond to what you say, even when you mention Hitler rather than ignore everything you say and just try to insult you.

I just looked up Godwin's law, here is the basic synopsis

As discussion in debates grow longer the probability that hilter, nazis or that topic of discussion will be brought up will increase. Originally it was used for things like Usenet but basically got updated to today.

So actually Ozmono used it correctly. You can look it up here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law  , and before the usual oh it's wikipedia so i'll go ahead and discard it (really should only do that on questionable material, and not all of it), you can look it up here as well: http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/Godwin's-law

So yeah, i'm going to side on Ozmono on that one as (s)he is in the right here.

Edit: I should note the only reason I'm doing this is to end this line of discussion so the topic can get back on track, otherwise it will just be tit for tat back and forth.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Originally posted by whilan

Yes I am familiar with it. Note again, how I respond to what you say, even when you mention Hitler rather than ignore everything you say and just try to insult you.

I just looked up Godwin's law, here is the basic synopsis

As discussion in debates grow longer the probability that hilter, nazis or that topic of discussion will be brought up will increase. Originally it was used for things like Usenet but basically got updated to today.

So actually Ozmono used it correctly. You can look it up here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law  , and before the usual oh it's wikipedia so i'll go ahead and discard it (really should only do that on questionable material, and not all of it), you can look it up here as well: http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/Godwin's-law

So yeah, i'm going to side on Ozmono on that one as (s)he is in the right here.

Edit: I should note the only reason I'm doing this is to end this line of discussion so the topic can get back on track, otherwise it will just be tit for tat back and forth.

I have a better law, opinions are like assholes, they're all equally shit.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Veldekar
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Honestly, I had no desire to play this game until I read your "this game is too complex" post. Most of your points make the game seem more appealing to me. Thanks.

I'm thinking the exact same thing...

LOL me too..

May this be my Anarchy Online all over again?...Time to find out.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    #1, 9 and 10 make me want to play the game more...
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

As the title says, reasons outlined below. This is just my opinion, if you want to waste time on this clusterfuck then go ahead. And I dont care if you agree with me or not so troll/flame away fanbois.

1. Permanent Durability System - Players beware! That nice new shiny purple you just got? Well guess what, if you want to hold on to it you better not die no more than 10 times because at that point it "breaks" and becomes unusable. Sure you can pour hours and hours and hours of time farming mats to make a crafted piece but it will still break, although it will take longer. Matter of fact, the only items in this game that will last forever are stock items that you get when you first start, I guess they didnt want naked people running around not able to play.

2. Red 5 doesnt care about their players. As the above argument says, in durability, many many many players voiced their concern and disdain about this decision and Red 5's response? In a nutshell "we have made a decision, deal with it!" Sure all of the fanbois who plopped down $100+ for a founders pack will come running to defend R5, and why shouldnt they? They are now financially vested in the company. By the way, these same players will be suffering durability also. Nice way to show your appreciation for their hard earned money R5...

3. They dont know how to stress test their servers prior to opening the flood gates for a rather failed open beta launch.

Yes, we know beta is beta. We dont give a crap. We know what beta is, we arent idiots. Last time I checked however there are different PHASES to game development from alpha-->closed beta-->stress test-->open beta-->stress test-->release. The issues that are plaguing players right now as I sit here and type this are: Lag spikes (anticipated with OB), login issues (anticipated with OB), SIN server issues (basically they have a different server called a SIN server to handle inventory queries and the like so they can do on the fly patching without bringing the server down, but there is a latency when you try to open your inventory, speak to a shop keeper, make any kind of upgrade to your character, and craft.) (game breaking, should have been resolved in CBT!!!!)

4. Very limited content... Theres only 2 areas that I know of. The main starting area which is open and non linear, this is where you will spend the bulk of your time learning the game, grinding, getting exp, farming, etc. And Antarctica, I dont know much about this zone except that its more of a mid to high level zone. There are no levels in this zone, its skill based if anything, actually its more crafting based due to the durability issue above.

5. The UI sucks. It just does. Lots of wasted space, unnecessary mouse clicks to perform basic functions.

6. Enemies have 95% accuracy when shooting at you, also some of the enemies (Tanken Grenadiers, Aranha Siegers, Chosen Juggernauts damage is way way high, its out of balance. The snipers I can understand because they have to stay stationary and charge up their rifles. But when you run an ares mission (dynamic "quests" that spawn around the world) the server will spawn 20-30 mobs, and sometimes it will spawn way way too many juggernauts, snipers, or grenadiers.. Which leads me to my next point...

7. You WILL die in this game.. Many many times. Ive been playing MMO's since 1999 and ive died more in this game in the two weeks ive been playing it than any other game... ever. So if dying pisses you off this game is not for you. I will clarify, dying doesnt piss me off, not in a game, its expected. But dying in a stupid way, be it to bugs or 50 enemies spawning on you when a quest is complete and shouldnt spawn any more mobs is very frustrating, especially when you know that you just took a 10% durability hit and 9 more deaths mean you need to craft or buy more gear...

8. The market (auction house) UI isnt very intuitive. You cant search for a specific thing. The items listed arent very descriptive of what you can and cant use. If youre buying a new weapon it only gives the stats, and very basic stats, it doesnt say if a bio tech can use it only or an engineer. So new players will be majorly put off by this. Knowing what uses what only comes from asking in zone chat when the chat is actually WORKING or trying to find out via google.

9. The crafting system is too extensive and complex. I wanted to make some armor for my dreadnaught (a tank class), i had to go out and farm 100 hisser nests. Because I needed 100 hisser DNA to make ONE SUBCOMPONENT for my armor. Each nest spawns about 5-8 hissers, id get one DNA per nest. These nests are spawned dynamically over the map only in certain areas (like on the west side for instance) so finding all 100 was no easy task. I think it took two days before I had everything I needed to make a TIER TWO armor. This is silly as there are 4 tiers in the game. New players arent going to want to go farm for hours on end until their eyes bleed just to make one piece which will be lost forever when they die too many times.

10. Resources and mats are too complex. Hisser DNA, Aranha DNA, Chosen Tech pieces, Stolen chosen tech pieces, 3 different types of resources (Gas, Organic, Mineral) and theres about 16 different "ores" of each type and THEN there are qualities of each "ore" going from poor (white) to epic (purple) from most common (white) to rarest (epic) grades. All of this is very hard to understand for a new player. Oh and did I mention that they are going to implement a limited sized inventory soon? They dont have bank implemented, but as of now the inventory is infinite space. But this is causing that SIN server I spoke about earlier to be overtaxed on DB queries and its causing a lot of lag and latency now when doing anything that requires the use of the SIN server..

I will be fair and say the world itself is beautiful. The mountains get old pretty quick but you can find a shortcut or two here and there. The characters/player models look cartoony and dont have much depth. My wife said it looked like I was playing with "G.I. Joes"...

Okay thats all I am gonna write for now. As it is right now dont even try playing this game, it really sucks cause almost nothing works. Dont take my word for it, just hop over to the general forum and tech help forum and youll see a lot of "CANT LOG IN messages. The main "unable to log in" thread is at 9 pages last time I checked (about 45 minutes ago before I started typing this). When things ARE working however its okay, and something to tide you over until the next big thing comes around the corner.

Peace.

Everything in your post points out that this game is too complicated for you.

the Wow virus has killed off too many of your braincells that are needed to make independent decisions.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

First of all the game is far from finished and content will be added over time.

Second noone expects something spectacular when a game is still in open beta heck i dont even expect from a game even if it's on release.

3rd you seem to have a problem with durability cause you are mention it a lot.Which means that if you were playing games since 1999 you wouldn't have problems with hardcore elements.

4th you die a lot?Are you some kind of carebear that wants everything on his plate?

Let me answer this for you.Yes you are.because you dont have the patience to find things on your own that will make your life easier in this game.

5th Carebear get out of this game cause people like you and  their noobish behaviour bring only naive games nowdays.

This game is hardcore and believe me red 5 will not change that because thats their philosophy.

Games used to be hard.if you cant handle your self in this game then go play wow or any other easy mode crapy game.

This is not blizzard that will hear your rant and will change the playstyle because some noobs like you cant play the game and die all the time.

Noobish behaviour is dying.Games will become again challenging as they were used to be.

Now be gone we dont want noobs in firefall

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by Tinybina
    Originally posted by Veldekar
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Honestly, I had no desire to play this game until I read your "this game is too complex" post. Most of your points make the game seem more appealing to me. Thanks.

I'm thinking the exact same thing...

LOL me too..

May this be my Anarchy Online all over again?...Time to find out.

You'll never get that first MMO feeling again, get over it.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

i login yesterday at prime time and only saw 20 ppl running on the whole zone

so uninstalled and dont even bother comming back :)

• skotishskotish Member Posts: 1
    Games good for a fps mmo
  • JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

Thanks OP :) Some of those features you dont like actually made me want to try this game. Item decay, extensive crafting and open world ... fps? definitely gotta give it a try soon :P

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Then you should learn to read all the way to the end like he should

I wanted folks who glibly compared someone else to Hitler or to Nazis to think a bit harder about the Holocaust", Godwin has written.[11]

The law isn't about mentioning him at all, it was about compairing other people to him like in the case of someone saying grammar nazi. The premis of the law is the longer peope argue the greater the chance someone will call or refer to the other poster as a nazi or hitler. It's why I used myself as the writer of the thread and not him.

btw it was over.

• GreezGreez Member Posts: 103

2. Red 5 doesnt care about their players. As the above argument says, in durability, many many many players voiced their concern and disdain about this decision and Red 5's response? In a nutshell "we have made a decision, deal with it!" Sure all of the fanbois who plopped down $100+ for a founders pack will come running to defend R5, and why shouldnt they? They are now financially vested in the company. By the way, these same players will be suffering durability also. Nice way to show your appreciation for their hard earned money R5...

If a company has the backbone to go ahead with their game design it doesn't mean they don't care about their players.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Then you should learn to read all the way to the end like he should

I wanted folks who glibly compared someone else to Hitler or to Nazis to think a bit harder about the Holocaust", Godwin has written.[11]

The law isn't about mentioning him at all, it was about compairing other people to him like in the case of someone saying grammar nazi. The premis of the law is the longer peope argue the greater the chance someone will call or refer to the other poster as a nazi or hitler. It's why I used myself as the writer of the thread and not him.

btw it was over.

It definitely was over but it was over without either of us explaining ourselves or the term. Now you have explained how you see it I think it is fair that I do the same. The second definition from the oxford dictionary that was linked by Whilan was far more concise and to the point.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/Godwin's-law

"noun

humorous
    the theory that as an online discussion progresses, it becomes inevitable that someone or something will eventually be compared to Adolf Hitler or the Nazis, regardless of the original topic:"

It makes no mention of Godwin's intention (even though I think he would be satisfied today) as it shouldn't. A dictionary is used to define a word or term at a given time and words and terms evolve. Now you did compare something to Hitler and despite what you claim, you were comparing a hypothetical you in order to offer an analogy between the OP and someone who was pro Nazi or pro Hitler.

I'm happy to let this go but not if the truth is being manipulated to save face.

BTW I didn't somehow manage to mention Godwin's law because I read on the wikipedia somehow after I posted. I learned what it was from prior experience regarding how the word was used.
  • TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369
    OMG op basically says it's hard game and not for carebears, downloading it right now!
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Tyrantas
    OMG op basically says it's hard game and not for carebears, downloading it right now!

Confusing is not the same as difficult.

What OP said was that they're a lot of grades and qualities to various items in game and that their taxonomy doesn't describe their purpose.

That's like going to the supermarket and buying a box that says, "medium quality meat" but doesn't tell you what animal it is, or what cut. All you know is that it is in fact meat and that it is of middling quality. Who knows maybe you would shop at a supermarket like that.

As for dying, again he isn't dying due to difficulty - he's dying due to bugs. So if you're looking to play this game for a challenge then what happens when they fix said bugs where mobs spawn on top of you? Will you quit?

IMO, the most difficult thing in firefall is getting synched up with the server. Re-log 20 times and you might have a chance. Pretty hardcore eh?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Now thats just good advertising!

I think OP just got 5 or 6 new people to try the game so far.  I'll probably do so tonight.

lol Yeah.

As soon as I read his first point about "purple gear" breaking after x amount of deaths my thought was "that's great, about time!"

Yeah, My 1st reaction was...."Why is that so bad?"

• codenekocodeneko Member UncommonPosts: 6

I don't mind losing gear/items... hell, I've played EVE on and off since 2004 (currently resubbed for odyssey).  What is completely stupid is the on-use decay.  You better justify every damn shot you take, because it costs you.  Want to just afk shooting random crap for no reason?  You'd better drop to stock first.

The crafting had absolute potential... even more so than EVE.  The different permutations of gear to min/max was as indepth, or even moreso, than EVE (minus the variance in gear/purpose since it was all just tweaking to get bigger clipsize, splash radius, etc).

As for the *skill* part... there's none required.  If you can bunny-hop and shoot you'll do just fine.  Mobility is the best part of the game but jumping back and forth to avoid being shot gets really old.  Cover and dodge defiance gameplay is only slightly better.  I kinda miss the one-shot one-kill games of RB6:RS or even MW1 hardcore mode.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Only because everyone attacked Neverwinter when it was in "open beta", I'm going to say it is no excuse for any issues with Firefall! The game is launched at this point, in fact it was basically a B2P up until now since I and others were able to buy our way into the closed beta with no wipe.

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187

The game is not really hard at all, its just confusing since the design of many of the in game systems are overly complicated for no reason, and is not intuitive at all. So its not about being a carebear or handholding. And though the game has a small tutorial in the beginning it doesn't really give much information. Like with crafting, it tells you that you have to mix different resources that you thumped for to craft items, but completely skips over the fact that all resources have to go through a separate refining process to get other derivatives that too are required in leveling up your frames. Most people rely on asking veterans on what to do, since like I said, many things in game are not very intuitive at all.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1

The game is not really hard at all, its just confusing since the design of many of the in game systems are overly complicated for no reason, and is not intuitive at all. So its not about being a carebear or handholding. And though the game has a small tutorial in the beginning it doesn't really give much information. Like with crafting, it tells you that you have to mix different resources that you thumped for to craft items, but completely skips over the fact that all resources have to go through a separate refining process to get other derivatives that too are required in leveling up your frames. Most people rely on asking veterans on what to do, since like I said, many things in game are not very intuitive at all.

I can only now solo a level 2 mission. I've attempted to solo a tornado and gave up after the fourth death. Sure, when a dozen or more people are all attacking the same thing, its easy, but solo, things get tough.

also, I thought the crafting in game was overly complicated at first as well. But now, I don't mind it so much. After actually focusing on a single item to craft and thumping the mats for it, I realized how simple it is. Yeah, it takes time to thump, and even to find the right resource, but that's how the game is and it can be pretty fun with a squad. Plus you get random drops which are always cool, especially when they are future upgrades.

I had my complaints at first with the game, and it could use a little more polish in some parts, but generally I'm enjoying it and I like the progression of my battle frames. I find myself enjoy the game much more then I did with darkfall:UH and the secret world, the last two MMOs I played before firefall, but that's just my personal preference.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

This, it isn't comlicated just badly designed.

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by TheHavok

I can only now solo a level 2 mission. I've attempted to solo a tornado and gave up after the fourth death. Sure, when a dozen or more people are all attacking the same thing, its easy, but solo, things get tough.

also, I thought the crafting in game was overly complicated at first as well. But now, I don't mind it so much. After actually focusing on a single item to craft and thumping the mats for it, I realized how simple it is. Yeah, it takes time to thump, and even to find the right resource, but that's how the game is and it can be pretty fun with a squad. Plus you get random drops which are always cool, especially when they are future upgrades.

I had my complaints at first with the game, and it could use a little more polish in some parts, but generally I'm enjoying it and I like the progression of my battle frames. I find myself enjoy the game much more then I did with darkfall:UH and the secret world, the last two MMOs I played before firefall, but that's just my personal preference.

I too find myself really enjoying the game these days though I don't think it's better than the others. The game is just lacking too much in terms of content for me right now to be able to even begin comparing them. And with the game so centered around crafting, though I'm having fun now, I can see that it's not a game I will be able to play long term due to it being a bit of a grind.