Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I play MMOs

darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I love video games. Growing up with them since the early 70s I have a strong appreciation of the multiple forms it comes in now. The idea of having a world you can share with others persistently is attractive.  I can't think of who wouldnt.  And to reach that dream I would expect failures along the way in order to realize how to get it right. It just seems now we had a success and we never really left its shadow.  

I ask myself why? But the answers are so apparent. They are not or for some reason can not make games.  Its been reduced to a generic consumable created to maximize profits.  What?  When did gaming become a business?  Thats another conversation I would love to have. Better yet, when did gamers know more about the people making the game than actually playing it.

Yeah I did that too. But it was more for fun bragging rights.  Super Nintendo was way better than Sega's phony "blast processing" and I liked making fun of that.  But when it came to games?  We played them.  All of them. Some of my funniest experiences were on NES.  Play Dark Towers for a month then tell me how you feel.

Why do I like MMOs? Because they have a soul. 

And its been missing for a loooooooooooooooooooong time for me.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

A soul? Is a soul good entertainment?

I play MMOs when they are good fun entertainment. And sometimes some of them are.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Nice post, man. I've been playing CGs since the mid 80's, some console games since the early 90's. Now, I've found a game that has kept my attention for over a decade. Returning to a persistent virtual space for that many years can be a soulful experience, especially where one has had a tangible impact.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

A soul? Is a soul good entertainment?

I play MMOs when they are good fun entertainment. And sometimes some of them are.

A soul is what makes a game with common mechanics different from other games in its genre.

And yes its what makes you return to the same game again and again ... which could in your case mean good entertainment.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Phaserlight
    Nice post, man. I've been playing CGs since the mid 80's, some console games since the early 90's. Now, I've found a game that has kept my attention for over a decade. Returning to a persistent virtual space for that many years can be a soulful experience, especially where one has had a tangible impact.

Thanks, and that game is? ... :-)

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

Thanks, and that game is? ... :-)

Vendetta Online; I write about it sometimes on this site.

It's hard to determine what gives it that special "always come back to" attribute; sometimes I tell myself it's the players, sometimes I think it's the physics, setting, and combat, sometimes it's the potential for what it could be... regardless, I've watched it grow from an 18-sector alpha to a 7000+ sector launch, adding player contributed content to the production universe, conquerable sectors / stations, manufacturing and player-owned cap ships with multiple crew members, to what can only be described as a multi-platform explosion (Android, WinRT, iOS, Ouya... and now pretty soon the Gamestick, and probably the commercial version of the Oculus Rift), so it has been an interesting ride.

I've heard it described as "casual"[1] by some, "hardcore"[2] by others, "simple"[3]  (and "complex"[4]), "deep"[5], "engaging"[6]...

It's kind of like the Tao Te Ching; in writing about what makes it work, one can only dance around the actual truth(s).  Real truth is elusive, or at best ephemeral, but at the end of the day it's just a game that I've played since I was 22 years old, and hooked on in the first 10 seconds of launching from the station.  I'm sure others on this site have had similar experiences.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance