Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Attention Crafters/Gatherers: This is a surprisingly good game for us.

Contrary to popular belief, this is not a PvP only game, I would actually suggest that this is mostly an economic game with PvP as the primary money sink.  Some things to know:

1.  There is no NPC armor/weapons.  There are no gear drops that are better than player-created gear.  When a player dies, they potentially lose all their gear and need to replace it.  Consistent demand and stable prices!

2.  There are no gear repairs.  When a weapon or piece of armor goes to zero durability, it's done.  Again, consistent demand and stable prices

3.  There is crafting of both weapons/armor/potions/etc., but also mounts, boats, and building materials.

4.  You can obtain most of the raw materials in the safe zones, and the rest from the markets.  You actually do not have to take one step out of the safe zones (which are surprisingly large) to have a full crafting/gathering experience.

This is really an ideal game for people preferring crafting/gathering as their primary activity in-game, and you will have a pretty important effect on the outcomes of the game (a guild with great, dedicated crafters has a big advantage over guilds that don't).

Everything goes better with beef.

Comments

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    The introduction of the Market has increased gameplay for everyone.
  • DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Can you please describe the gathering and crafting process ?

Can you please describe crafting items for example  the variation and specialization in crafting ranges to any other player's crafts  in game ?

How is the raw material more special if a crafter collects / gather it from any other player ?  Can you descrivbe the difference ?

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• MmmBeefyMmmBeefy Member Posts: 10
    Yes, it's not a perfect mechanism, but certainly functional.  One aspect I do like is the "buy orders"/reverse auction mechanism, where people set the quantity and price of a product they are willing to buy, and you can fill that order then anytime.  It isn't completely unique, but it's a relatively rare aspect that adds value for me.  

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by MmmBeefy
    Yes, it's not a perfect mechanism, but certainly functional.  One aspect I do like is the "buy orders"/reverse auction mechanism, where people set the quantity and price of a product they are willing to buy, and you can fill that order then anytime.  It isn't completely unique, but it's a relatively rare aspect that adds value for me.  

So its just functional..the least thing to expect from crafting or a market system ...

Dont think this is enough to get any serious crafter to try this game just for crafting..there are excioting games out there which have more meaning for crafters.

AV in general openly treats crafting like they treat sandbox, with ignorance and Tasos ven sometimes gets angry if asked a crafting question.

Tasos openly stated that crafting isnt a exciting activity and all should look on other aspects of the game when he got asked a crafting specific question in last MMORPG's live chat event. he doesn't have a high opinion on crafter type of gamers and the game shws it.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

You wrote good in the thread title, now you are saying certainly functional.  So in your mind does: good = certainly functionable?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by waynejr2

You wrote good in the thread title, now you are saying certainly functional.  So in your mind does: good = certainly functionable?

Give credit though... functionable is better than "basic".

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Sure.  The gathering involves obtaining the relevant gathering tool from the NPC vendor, and you then essentially "mine" resource nodes (metal, stone, timber, herb/cotton).  You get the major base materials (iron ore, stone, timber, and cotton) along with small amounts of more specialized material.  Additionally, you can gather leather from PvE (this can be obtained via safezone PvE).  

From there, you go to any city and craft items from those materials (using the smithy, workbench, lab, or oven), or sell the raw materials to the market or an NPC vendor.  

Can you please describe crafting items for example  the variation and specialization in crafting ranges to any other player's crafts  in game ?

The only major differentiator vs., say, a lower level guy crafting the same item is in the durability of the product your creating, and your failure rate in creating the item.  Higher durability items typically sell for more money in the market, and lower fail rates increase your net margin.  

Also, the higher level products to craft generally don't open up until you have more experience crafting in the item category.

As far as the range of products, you can make weapons, armor, potions, bags, mounts, boats, building materials (ex., strongboxes, doors, building modules, etc.), bombs, cannons, siege hammers, and tools.  I can't think of a utilizable product in the game that isn't player crafted.

That was in reference to the market.  The UI is a little clunky, but it works fine.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Sure.  The gathering involves obtaining the relevant gathering tool from the NPC vendor, and you then essentially "mine" resource nodes (metal, stone, timber, herb/cotton).  You get the major base materials (iron ore, stone, timber, and cotton) along with small amounts of more specialized material.  Additionally, you can gather leather from PvE (this can be obtained via safezone PvE).  

From there, you go to any city and craft items from those materials (using the smithy, workbench, lab, or oven), or sell the raw materials to the market or an NPC vendor.  

The only major differentiator vs., say, a lower level guy crafting the same item is in the durability of the product your creating, and your failure rate in creating the item.  Higher durability items typically sell for more money in the market, and lower fail rates increase your net margin.  

Also, the higher level products to craft generally don't open up until you have more experience crafting in the item category.

As far as the range of products, you can make weapons, armor, potions, bags, mounts, boats, building materials (ex., strongboxes, doors, building modules, etc.), bombs, cannons, siege hammers, and tools.  I can't think of a utilizable product in the game that isn't player crafted.

What about the process itself? Do you queue up things like in WoW or is it more involved than that?

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Give credit though... functionable is better than "basic".

How?  If it isn't functional it is broken and thus...

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

Sniff-sniff  this thread smells like bait.

A PvPer, trying to lure crafters to his game for ganking purposes? I'll stay away.

So its just functional..the least thing to expect from crafting or a market system ...

Dont think this is enough to get any serious crafter to try this game just for crafting..there are excioting games out there which have more meaning for crafters.

AV in general openly treats crafting like they treat sandbox, with ignorance and Tasos ven sometimes gets angry if asked a crafting question.

Tasos openly stated that crafting isnt a exciting activity and all should look on other aspects of the game when he got asked a crafting specific question in last MMORPG's live chat event. he doesn't have a high opinion on crafter type of gamers and the game shws it.

I tend to separate my game experience from dev comments/other out-of-game stuff, because on the flipside, a dev can sound awesome, and yet the game experience is surprisingly bad.  My experience with Darkfall UH has been very positive, and I'm primarily a "crafting type"/economic side of the house type of player.  The crafting here isn't designed for somebody that loves to make super rare "uber" items, it's designed for somebody that wants their crafting/gathering to materially affect the meta-game, and that is unquestionably the case in this game.  

Originally posted by Bjelar

A PvPer, trying to lure crafters to his game for ganking purposes? I'll stay away.

A fair thing to question.  I'll point you back to where I said you could reasonably have a full crafting experience entirely within the safezone. 

Originally posted by Dihoru

What about the process itself? Do you queue up things like in WoW or is it more involved than that?

Yes, if you're crafting, say, 100 sets of arrows, you can define that you want to make 100 sets, and as long as you have the mats for it, you can hit start and go get a drink or eats.  Same with mining resource nodes, you can walk up to a node, hit a button, and you'll just automatically keep mining until the node is done.  You can tab over to check your email or whatever.  

You actually get experience points (called prowess points) for gathering and crafting, and you can use those points to, for example, increase your characters intelligence, or increase their 2h axe skill, or even increase their gathering skill (increases the speed at which you gather resources).  

The crafting skills are unique in that they increase based on how many times you craft an item within a category (ex., weaponsmithing), and the higher skills allow  you to make higher durability items, and decreases your fail rate.  Higher durability is important, because no item can be repaired, so there is a premium/demand for your stuff if you have high crafting skill.  

"You actually get experience points (called prowess points) for gathering and crafting, and you can use those points to, for example, increase your characters intelligence, or increase their 2h axe skill, or even increase their gathering skill (increases the speed at which you gather resources)."

I would say this part is particularly important, because this ensures your not exclusively pigeonholed into "being a crafter", ie., the guy with super high strength that's awesome with a 2h axe can also be a great crafter.  A lot of crafter types prefer the healer role in combat situations, you can be a terrific healer and also make great gear.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Originally posted by Bjelar

A fair thing to question.  I'll point you back to where I said you could reasonably have a full crafting experience entirely within the safezone. 

So to craft you can get all materials inside the safe zone? 

Cause if not then you cant have a full crafting experience entirely within the safezone.

It's hard to craft without gather rescources first you know.

Crafting is not good in DFUW since everybody will be more or less a gatherer/crafter in the long run, there will not be true dedicated crafters that get their well deserved respect for all their hardwork.

Gathering in DFUW is as exiting as watching paint dry. Very time consuming.

Only reason to gather and craft in DFUW is to get prowess points for PvP skills.

• benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    This game is interesting for crafters because:
    -You earn skillpoints you can freely spent so you can make a pvp char by chopping wood.
    -Guild city workshops produce gear with higher durability, so it is worth builing those cities up.
    -Big money sink cause of ffa pvp with full loot plus item decay with no repair.
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Originally posted by benseine
    This game is interesting for crafters because: -You earn skillpoints you can freely spent so you can make a pvp char by chopping wood. -Guild city workshops produce gear with higher durability, so it is worth builing those cities up. -Big money sink cause of ffa pvp with full loot plus item decay with no repair.

Everyone will in the end be crafters since it give by far most prowess points. Prowess points used in PvP.

The ones with +150 K prowess points is the ones that been boosted rescources for crafting by their guild.

So there will in the end be no dedicated crafters and a game without dedicated crafters isnt a good crafting game.

It will be just like DF1 where everyone mastered everything.

Calling that a good crafting game is beyond me. 

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

The above poster is right, I knew this when I first found out their will be an auction weeks ago.

- Everyone has to do everything anyway to gain prowess.....Harvesting and Crafting !

- Everyone should be self suffent to replace stuff.

- People need prowess BAD, no amount of money or dealing with the auction will help you gain prowess.

- As far money goes, what do you need if for ?....crafting only !.....So everyone will be a crafter.

Every new player has to Craft......Im still kind of new, only playing a month.  I looked over the auction and at least for me I can't see myself buying anything BECAUSE I NEED TO BUILD PROWESS MYSELF.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................

A few examples :

I'm a Skirmisher, I need wood, leather and gold evenly. 

-  If I buy the leather it will make me short on gold

- I have to craft at least 100 studded leather armors to increase my skill. I can't sell my studded leather armor because a thousand other Skirmisher's are crafting the same thing 100 times.....Same with my crafted Bows.

- My class does not really need much iron. Sure I could afk harvest iron to sell at the auction, but I'm taking away from the time I should be cutting wood or skinning leather for myself.

- Very high level players may have a large amount of stuff to sell, but I feel bad for the lower end players buying it, they are screwing themselfs out of prowess.....Add to the fact, high level players already have lots of gold, they really don't need money.

People need prowess BAD, no amount of money will help you gain prowess

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Contrary to popular belief, this is not a PvP only game, I would actually suggest that this is mostly an economic game with PvP as the primary money sink.  Some things to know:

1.  There is no NPC armor/weapons.  There are no gear drops that are better than player-created gear.  When a player dies, they potentially lose all their gear and need to replace it.  Consistent demand and stable prices!

2.  There are no gear repairs.  When a weapon or piece of armor goes to zero durability, it's done.  Again, consistent demand and stable prices

3.  There is crafting of both weapons/armor/potions/etc., but also mounts, boats, and building materials.

4.  You can obtain most of the raw materials in the safe zones, and the rest from the markets.  You actually do not have to take one step out of the safe zones (which are surprisingly large) to have a full crafting/gathering experience.

This is really an ideal game for people preferring crafting/gathering as their primary activity in-game, and you will have a pretty important effect on the outcomes of the game (a guild with great, dedicated crafters has a big advantage over guilds that don't).

You forgot to mention that because there is no limitation whatsoever, every player is a Crafter in DFUW, therefore nobody needs Professional Crafters.

Let me clarify this.

Nobody buys crafted items (everyone craft their own stuff), the trades in DFUW involve for 80% raw materials.................

I am a crafter and just canceled my Subscription because I was fed up of selling items way below what it cost me to make them.............because that's the only way you can sell crafted items.

Economy in DFUW is screwed like it was in DF1

AV didn't learn anything................

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

If only the whole game was worth to play it, but its damn awfull implementation makes it never leave the ground.
    Mad repsect for the people supporting it as their idea's are excelent.
    Epic game wrong developers :P

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by ste2000

You forgot to mention that because there is no limitation whatsoever, every player is a Crafter in DFUW, therefore nobody needs Professional Crafters.

Let me clarify this.

Nobody buys crafted items (everyone craft their own stuff), the trades in DFUW involve for 80% raw materials.................

I am a crafter and just canceled my Subscription because I was fed up of selling items way below what it cost me to make them.............because that's the only way you can sell crafted items.

Economy in DFUW is screwed like it was in DF1

AV didn't learn anything................

loooool everyone crafts their own gear??? looool everyone spends 30-60k prowess so they can craft everything??? loool.

I do agree with the market atm, it's screwed for now because so many people craft simple to get the prowess gains through crafting. Once that dies down a few months down the line, the values will return to what they should be.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Stop asking people to get scammed by a piss poor developer, please 
  • StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

Well, crafting BASIC gear, up to r30...anyone can do that.  Most people are able to craft their basic gear, like some said, it doesn't make sense not to (unless you are pinched on time of course)

I want people to think of crafting in this game as two tired.  One is the basic self sufficiency.  Second is professional crafter.

Ive seen some people state that anyone can be a crafter so everyone is a crafter, 100% not true. 

To craft high end gear and to do it all yourself you need to buy crafting masteries with prowress, each one costs 10k prowress which is a lot.  Most people interested in combat will not take masteries as it will put them back 10k towards combat.

You just don't buy one mastery though.  All resource refining has required masteries to make the high end raw mats needed to craft the higher end mastery crafts.

Im not sure why the OP is trying to sell the game as a safe zone camping crafting game, doing this you miss just about everything fun about darkfall.  Getting ganked isn't a huge deal either unless you are absolutely retarded and walk around with lots of valuables.

Crafting in this game is certainly on par with other sandboxes...gear is in constant need and you can never have too many crafters.

This isn't a themepark crafting game where crafting is some lame mini game.  ITs a queue and spam out gear to skill up crafting and to create a stash of gear that you will end up using.  If you are not using the gear and looking to only progress you can salvage it and hope to get back a percent of materials.

Everything in this game is crafted though, nothing can be repaired.  You will lose that set of gear though pve or through pvp one way or another.  Good thing is that gear is easy enough to get, and you will want to stash lots of spare sets.

It really is a good game for crafters and harvesters...just I wouldn't sell the game to the "I hate pvp crowd" as a good pve game.  there is tons of pve and its the only way to progress...just some cant get over the pvp part of the game and therefore will never enjoy the game.  Kind of funny to me how some people are so scared of stuff in a video game, especially when the thing they are scared most of adds so much excitement to the game.  I guess some people want to keep their stereotype of this game being some crazy gankfest where they will be killed every 30 seconds with no means to defend themselves. 

Certainly not a game for everyone, but if your posting in other threads how sick you are of the wow clones and the same old, your doing yourself a disservice ignoring this game simply for its pvp rules.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

OK, I see truths, partial truths and misinformation in this thread so far.  I won't bother addressing each one of those but instead try to explain how it is for myself in game.  I'm more of a solo player, I remain without a guild and pretty much do what ever floats my boat at the time.  I craft or loot all my gear, without going into to much detail about my PvP skill, let's just say I craft all my gear and have from the start.

Harvesting is boring and time consuming.  You basically walk up to a tree, rock or bush and click once and wait to swing on it 50 times.  I have a second monitor so I do other things why harvesting.  Never the less once that "Node" is tapped you move to a different one and click once and your avatar begins to swing.  The game  has gone through some changes recently with harvesting "Rares" (Random drop from harvesting) but we will go into that in a minute. 

So you harvested a bunch of timber, ore or cotton and now you want to use it to craft something.  It first needs to be refined into wood, iron ingots or cloth respectively.  You get your unrefined material and some gold and go to a crafting station.  Click, click, click and you will be refining your resource 99 units at a time.  Back to Netflics.  Again, there are "Rares" that can be added to the mix for better quality resources needed for high quality armor/weapons.  You must skill up to that point by making many lower quality armor/weapons.  Very standard MMO crafting leveling.

The Armor/Weapon rating system is called the "RANK" or "R" of the Weapon or Armor.  It is on a scale from rank 0 to rank 80.  You start out making low quality and as you craft you level up.  All of this is in game and you just do it.  You will however reach a limit at R30.  Beyond this you will need to purchase a mastery for 10,000 prowess points.  So you get into game and do some harvesting.  You make a bunch of R0 swords to get yourself to be able to make R10, make R10 to get to R20 and R20 to get to R30.  Once you have made a bunch of R30 you are able to make R40 (with Rares) providing you spend 10k of your prowess points to get weapon smith mastery.

There are many crafting skills and masteries (Armorsmithing, Shield crafting, Weapon Smithing, Leather Working, Bowyer, Tailoring) each needing a mastery to further yourself in crafting them.  Additionally, you need refining masteries to use the random drop rares needed for better items (Weaving, Tanning, Wood Cutting and Smelting). 

As I said in the beginning, I craft most of my gear.  I am  Skirmisher and have focused on Leather Working , Bowyer and Weaponsmith.  I am stuck in a couple of those unless I spend the 10k pp on each one to further myself.  As I am only at 44k pp I just cant do it.  I am stuck at using R30 leather armor, an R30 bow and r30 weapons unless I spend the points.  Of course I can buy weapons/armor off the market or loot them off others.  This part of solo DFUW I dislike, I understand the reasoning and after all this is a clan/guild kinda game.  The soloist makes his own stuff to a point, and it's the same for everyone else.  It would take over 100k prowess points to be the uber crafter of everything, not to mention a life time of harvesting/refining, unless guild/clan fed of course.

On a side note the crafting skills are many (Click on the Drop Down Menu on this site)

EDIT:  I was going to go into more detail with "Rares" but have to go.  Perhaps later.

EDIT2:  I see "Strangerous" beat me to a lot of this info while i was writing it.  Bah ... : )

~Hairysun