Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play IF?

RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I had mentioned to others that I would come back to WoW after leaving during the LK expansion if they would make a special server for myself and similar like players to play on..  Not getting into too many details here are some of the changes in general:

1. Mob's hold and chase agro 5x farther then current formula.. Welcome back mini trains and pulling..
  2. Leveling is slowed by 5x or more.. (I hate out leveling gear in one afternoon)
  3. ALL instance dungeons are converted to open zones..  All boss mobs will be put on random timers.. Ahh the joy of having multiple groups farm Deadmines
  4. Remove all ? quest NPC's..   (most of these npc's will now accept turn ins for xp and coin) Gear will only come from crafting or mob drop..
  5. Each original open zone should have a wondering boss encounter like Stitches. 
  6. Bring back more original raid boss and increase raid size to allow 60.. 
     Is this sounding too much like original EQ before PoP?  I hope so.. 

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    since i play wow for the Lore and not for the mechanics i dont mind if they add a server with those changes. Personally.

• ErnzelErnzel Member Posts: 15

There is a 100% chance that none of this will happen.

But I'd play it.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Truth is i would be back to wow pronto if they would copy-paste the path of exile talent trees and all the loot would be random generated ,so it can be a fun game again.
  • KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    No instanced dungeons would be great for any game.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I would play it....................in fact those changes will make WoW more similar to EQ, which is good.

But I would add another condition.

They need to cancel Pandas from Azeroth..........I just can't play WoW if there are Pandas in it.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429

Sounds good to me..

but i'd also add the following:

- make all mobs more dangerous, increase their damage done and give more health. This includes the mobs in dungeons.

- remove all queueing tools like LFD, LFR, and the one for BGs (naturally, because there's no longer any instances).

- revamp all crafting professions, add lots of new recipes and maybe add some random factor for a chance to get superior equipment.

- give back the old talent trees and at least double the size of them. Make the same for pet talents.

- bring back threat mechanism.

- limit the use of flying mounts with a timer or similar feature.

- etc.

100% certain this will never happen since it's almost the complete opposite to blizzard's current philosophy. Maybe some day there will be a modern mmo that isn't a story driven SPG with mmo features. We can only hope.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by ste2000

I would play it....................in fact those changes will make WoW more similar to EQ, which is good.

They need to cancel Pandas from Azeroth..........I just can't play WoW if there are Pandas in it.

Yeah.. I have to admit I was a little shocked and turned off that Panda's were the new race..  For years I wanted new classes, and still want new roles, such as the monk.. but Pandas?  Oh geeesh..  Oh and speaking of EQ again, I would also like to see a stronger death penalty such as XP loss..

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Rydeson
         Would you play IF?...

No.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I had mentioned to others that I would come back to WoW after leaving during the LK expansion if they would make a special server for myself and similar like players to play on..  Not getting into too many details here are some of the changes in general:

1. Mob's hold and chase agro 5x farther then current formula.. Welcome back mini trains and pulling..
    2. Leveling is slowed by 5x or more.. (I hate out leveling gear in one afternoon)
    3. ALL instance dungeons are converted to open zones..  All boss mobs will be put on random timers.. Ahh the joy of having multiple groups farm Deadmines
    4. Remove all ? quest NPC's..   (most of these npc's will now accept turn ins for xp and coin) Gear will only come from crafting or mob drop..
    5. Each original open zone should have a wondering boss encounter like Stitches. 

Would i play if

1: No... There is a line between challenge and annoying. This is on the wrong side of that.

2: No. Getting past the fairly empty low level content would be way to slow and boring. maybe increase the XP needed for sub outland content by 0.5 to 1. But five times as long is way to long for empty places.

3: Hell No... Open world unfortunatly brings out the worst in people (yes... i am a old UO player... Trust me.. The wrost)

4: Maybe... If there is some other way to get the story element that have been crafted in to WoW especially in the reworked low level pre-outland areas. The stories are fairly good and well told these days.

5: Sure... This impacts no one in a negative way, but it is noyt a selling point for me personally. So it would not care either way. 

6: No... Simply no.  40 man raiding was bad enough to balance.

As you see i rather like WoW to continue on the path it is now. The work they have done on the storytelling aspect have made massive leaps the last couple of years but the game is crazy top heavy as it is, Unfortunagtly i think the features you like, not unlike the BETAMax is a thing of the past. Especially for WoW

Yeah.. I have to admit I was a little shocked and turned off that Panda's were the new race..  For years I wanted new classes, and still want new roles, such as the monk.. but Pandas?  Oh geeesh..  Oh and speaking of EQ again, I would also like to see a stronger death penalty such as XP loss..

Said the player from the game with Frogloks... Wind in the Willows is ok... But a panda is to much...Suuuuuuure.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by deniter

Sounds good to me..

but i'd also add the following:

- make all mobs more dangerous, increase their damage done and give more health. This includes the mobs in dungeons. agreed.. I thought about that when I did my OP.. I still want majority of the trash mobs to be soloable, but, not a walk thru either.. maybe make the mobs 20% tougher?

- remove all queueing tools like LFD, LFR, and the one for BGs (naturally, because there's no longer any instances).

- revamp all crafting professions, add lots of new recipes and maybe add some random factor for a chance to get superior equipment. agreed.. since we are removing NPC quest rewards, I would like to see crafting beefed up a bit..

- give back the old talent trees and at least double the size of them. Make the same for pet talents.

- bring back threat mechanism.

- limit the use of flying mounts with a timer or similar feature.

- etc.

100% certain this will never happen since it's almost the complete opposite to blizzard's current philosophy. Maybe some day there will be a modern mmo that isn't a story driven SPG with mmo features. We can only hope.

Thing is, not sure why Blizz wouldn't do it..  It would be easy to just revamp some code, and think of all the extended life some customers would get..  I know for a fact that I and a group of friends that haven't played WoW in years, would come back in a NY second.. A few more things I would like to see as well..

• Deleveling system similar to GW2.. I really like how leveling up doesn't automatically turn you into instaGOD and make zones obsolete.. PLUS, now you can play with friends and newbies without always creating tons of Alts..
    • As you mentioned about old talent trees.. ADD in some new talents that would compliment some of the new mechanics, such as REZ that allows XP death recovery.. or monks getting FD that allows for better pulling.. I would even toss in some snaring, rooting that gives certain classes the ability to KITE :)
    TY all for the input so far..  I think we all can agree we would like to see a more challenging WoW so that leveling isn't just a blind hack and slash to glory.. It's a shame we can't get Blizz to do an experimental server with these changes..  I wonder how popular it might be, since many of the current customer base never played OLD mmo's from the 90's

I think we all can agree...

Actually.. from this thread alone it is evident that the fact that we can NOT agree is the only thing that we all can agree on.

Originally posted by tawess

Would i play if

1: No... There is a line between challenge and annoying. This is on the wrong side of that.  I'm not sure how having a mob chase you farther then the current 50 feet is annoying.. I always thought WoW's agro mechanic was way to easy, it's like yelling , 'OOPS do over".. 

2: No. Getting past the fairly empty low level content would be way to slow and boring. maybe increase the XP needed for sub outland content by 0.5 to 1. But five times as long is way to long for empty places. This would only be an issue AFTER a saturated customer base has been playing for a year or longer.. And could easy be addressed with high level crafting recipes that give you XP boost.. Problem solved..

3: Hell No... Open world unfortunatly brings out the worst in people (yes... i am a old UO player... Trust me.. The wrost) ONLY when you have players fighting between themselves for limited loot.. GW2 has no issues with open world boss encounters.. There are better ways to address boss fights then private dungeons.. IMO

4: Maybe... If there is some other way to get the story element that have been crafted in to WoW especially in the reworked low level pre-outland areas. The stories are fairly good and well told these days. Story lines wouldn't change.. All that is being done is removing quest reward gear, and giving our repeatable rep, coin and XP rewards..  This actually promotes group activity, instead of discouraging it, like it does now..

5: Sure... This impacts no one in a negative way, but it is noyt a selling point for me personally. So it would not care either way.  The purpose here is that zones shouldn't be AFK safe havens..  I personally miss roaming mobs that can ADD to a fight anyone, anywhere.. Carebear zones are not for me..

6: No... Simply no.  40 man raiding was bad enough to balance. How is this a balance issue?  I think you misunderstand my intent.. This isn't WoW raids I want, I want EQ raids back.. BRING as many as you can to the fight, with NO regard to holy trinity bs.. Most of the dragons and such will be designed for 40 peeps, but nothing wrong with allowing up to a max of 60 to raid..  I want raids to be inclusive, not exclusive.. Nothing pisses me off more then telling guildies, "SORRY, the bus if full"....

As you see i rather like WoW to continue on the path it is now. The work they have done on the storytelling aspect have made massive leaps the last couple of years but the game is crazy top heavy as it is, Unfortunagtly i think the features you like, not unlike the BETAMax is a thing of the past. Especially for WoW

Said the player from the game with Frogloks... Wind in the Willows is ok... But a panda is to much...Suuuuuuure. I think you missed my added statement in the OP "pre PoP".. I was not happy with Frogloks either..  :)

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Would I?

No but it would bring it closer in line with what I want but it still wouldn't be enough for me to give it another try.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

They would have to do two things to get me to come back:

1) Upgrade the graphics to something like FFXIV.

2) Get better story tellers: there was a clear drop off in the quality of the story around Cata.  I attribute this mostly to them reassigning their best creatives to Titan...  but it could just be me becoming old and jaded.

Just making the game more difficult does nothing for me.

• Sorien88Sorien88 Member Posts: 15
    Basically just turning WoW into original EQ. Hell fucking yes I'd play it.
  • trikkitrikki Member Posts: 58

This model cater very small group of players.All of these things are really bad suggestions.For me,i wouldn't touch that kind of game,even if someone pays me.

The thing is that there are other games that do all the things asked for.

I sort of like to have WoW to go back to when life is stressful and busy, because there i can just kick back and have fun (fun is a subjective thing... that is my fun) knowing that i do not need to keep my mind on a Sherlock Holmes level or my nerves sharp as razors. I like to know that a mistake is not the same thing a death but something that can be salvaged.

I play games to relax, and the old games are not relaxing to me. So while my opinion is driven by pure selfish desire i know others share it and that is to keep WoW as the automatic gearbox of MMO´s.. Let others fill the void of stick shift.. Good knows we have enough flappy paddle MMO´s as it is.

"I personally miss roaming mobs that can ADD to a fight anyone, anywhere.. Carebear zones are not for me.. "

Carebear... .. . Really, you went there,

Sorry mate, you just lost any points you had... .. . And that was a fairly good stack in my mind.