Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes MMO social?

13»

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Greez

Need.

If you don't need anyone you're going to be scarcely compelled to socialize, and it'll be even harder to convince others of it.

UO, Furcadia, Kaneva, There, Puzzle Pirates and Second Life didn't get that memo.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Need.

If you don't need anyone you're going to be scarcely compelled to socialize, and it'll be even harder to convince others of it.

UO, Furcadia, Kaneva, There, Puzzle Pirates and Second Life didn't get that memo.

It's one commonly held belief, but there's an awful lot of evidence against it.

People are complicated widgets. And they don't come with an owner's manual.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Antiquated
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Need.

It's one commonly held belief, but there's an awful lot of evidence against it.

People are complicated widgets. And they don't come with an owner's manual.

*swipe*

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Force people to group up for missions/quests/kills and force them to interact in cities.

But it needs to be enforced in a gentle way, as if it's just an alternative, but in a way that pure solo feels pointless.

I think it's the most fundamental requirement for any social gameplay.

In real life, people are forced to communicate for trade and exchange of ideas etc. That's what societies are build on.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Scot
    Downtimes were not that long when we actually had downtimes and you met most other players when grouping. But they allowed for some chat, today you can just about squeeze in a "lol" if you are lucky.

If people choose games with no downtime because they don't want to even squeeze in a "lol" ... there is really little you can do. If you make games with down-time, people will just move to other games.

It is not the down-time, it is people. You know that you can choose to have down-time in any game, right? The choice is already there. If few is exercising that choice, that tells you something.

Originally posted by jazz.be

In real life, people are forced to communicate for trade and exchange of ideas etc. That's what societies are build on.

Games are entertainment products, not real life.

Originally posted by Rydeson
       Let me ask you this..  I'm sure we all know your answer, but I want to ask it anyways..  IF "LFD" was removed from your MMO's and no random instancing was available, would you still play the game?  

Of course not. I am surprised you have to ask.

I had played games before the LFD feature (EQ/WOW ...). It was like night and day. With LFD, the games are 10x more fun ... for me of course.

Easy? Forming group with chat channel is not hard (how do you think WOW dungeons dailies are done before LFD?) ... just tedious, non-fun, and i am glad to get rid of. Having some additional chore to do is not "more challenging", or "deeper".