Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never played any EQ games...

sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

.....why should i be excited about EQN??

I mainly am into PVE and an immersive experience, will EQN give that to me?

Comments

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    the everquest franchise pretty much invented pve in its current form.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by sethman75

Hopefully we all wait with baited breath.  Both EQ and EQ2 gave that in their day and still do for many. SWG and Vanguard also gave that it is pretty much a hallmark of SOE.  They always seem to try for immersion and I expect the PvE experience to be very good.

• GreezGreez Member Posts: 103

I haven't played EQ, either, but... the phrasing of your question makes me wince... it gives this image of a super lazy, entitled fat kid who is bored with life and wonders how can anything possibly be interesting to him. Seriously, don't say that phrase, ever. Nobody can know why you personally should or shouldn't be excited about anything. It's your life objective to find what you enjoy in this world, MMO's included.

*ahem*

EQN is not released yet and basically no information was released, so nobody knows what EQN will give to anyone.

EQ strikes me as being full of well-developed lore (and it seems less butchered than WoW's), although it's your classic fantasy stuff. EQ is also a lot more old school and smells of DnD. How much of this will apply to EQN? The lore should carry over. The DnDish approach probably somewhat, as well. It's also said to be a sandbox, and sandboxes are usually more realistic/immersive than themeparks (IMO). This is also from the developers of SWG, and that game was very well done.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Eq was real pve

Yes, just imagine my friends, standing there with 15-20people, waiting for your turn to be ported up to the plane of hate, hoping the 5who are fighting in to clear the entrance do not die, excited at the possibility of planar Loot, and a little worried, because if you die up there, THERE IS NOONE TO HAND HOLD YOU AND YOU WILL DIE AND APPERE BACK IN NORRATH NAKED IF YOU DO NOT DO THE BEST YOU CAN, AND WORK AS A TEAM WITH THOSE YOU TRUST.
    the only thing you be able to do is beg the next group going up for a post and pray you can get to your corpse before it eventually rots.
    Now that is real pve, not the soppy hand holding wow did.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Did you play WoW or any games that took that format? Congrats, you played what Everquest was. Its pretty much the game WoW based a large part of their game design on, taking the formula Everquest created particularly for PvE. 

So yeah, when you play all those so called "WoW clones" your basically should be calling an "Everquest clone" if you are to use such a stupid term and giving credit to the game that really started it all. :)

That's misleading. There are some huge differences between EQ and WoW.
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Nobody really knows yet. The only actual thing we know is that armor styles in game are not particularly realistic (based on screenshot of 3d model and concept art. And yes, I think it's enough information to make a preliminary conclusion.)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Don't be excited.  It's not our job to get you excited.  Do RESEARCH.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Greez

That's misleading. There are some huge differences between EQ and WoW.

You are correct., sir
    It was easier to level in wow
    Death had no risks in wow
    You can be a jerk in wow and still be successful
    You can make money far easier in wow,
    You could achieve the best armor with much effort in wow,
    Need i go on?

Not that I super hate wow, it's just a far tamer version of EQ

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

Even without that there are plenty of other things, EQ's skill, spell, crafting management systems are very different. EQ is closer to DnD like I said, WoW is some its own thing.