Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Those who says e-sport is not a real sport, the US govt would disagree.

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

so? the US also said the iraq had ABC weapons....

those guys talk alot of BS when days are long.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    E-sports are E-sports not sports. If they were sports they'd be called a sport and not need the E. You don't call baseball a P-sport because it's physical.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/196195/US_recognizes_eSports_players_as_professional_athletes.php

""The United States government recognizes League of Legends pro players as professional athletes, and awards visas to essentially work in the United States under that title"

lol, in korea gaming is a profession... they're recognized more than their athletes.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• flameflame Member Posts: 31
    OK U.S and A! Next thing masturbation is recognized as a form of bodybuilding. Soon gamers become multi athletes! :O
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by flame
    OK U.S and A! Next thing masturbation is recognized as a form of bodybuilding. Soon gamers become multi athletes! :O

Don't worry, you'll get your visa when that day comes.

Awesome, I always wanted to see the states! ;)
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

The US govt knows that it won't be long before "game watching" becomes a major spectator event, and not just on the internet... for free. These people (please don't call them athletes), are making money from this, the govt just wants their piece.

Trust me, the govt is doing this not because they're LIEK OMG EXCITED TO WATCH THE SPORTING EVENTS ON TWITCH, but because they want in on the action/money that will be taking place, not just now, but in the future when this really explodes.

-------------------

I have issue with calling these games "sports", but as I actually would consider chess a sport (as it takes tons of stamina and the players at the highest level are amazingly strategic), I suppose I have to accept it. What I will say though is that these people playing computer games are not athletes. Athletes are people you watch for their physical prowess, not mental.

Growing up I played football and basketball in school for years. I also played video games like no tomorrow. I would get exhausted mentally/physically, injured, out of breath, and stronger by playing (real) sports. Playing video games for 12 hours just can give me a headache and make me sleepy.

The closest I think you can come to being an athlete while playing a game would be something similar to the time I was playing madden 2010 on pc (pc madden used to rock): I scored some sick touchdown while my friend sat there in disbelief. I did the biggest set of fist pumps imaginable which resulted in me "injuring" my shoulder.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    E sport...is neither mentally taxing like chess nor it is physically taxing like football, tennis, swimming etc. To refer to e'sport people as athletes is just absurd. 

QFS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9lpqG9ZvGY

Should we make this a sport as well?

Just when i said i wasn't goin to get involved in this topic again, i get sucked right back in.

Yeah but you're better off not bothering with that foot still firmly planted in your oral cavity :).

I thought we agreed that i took that out and had reserved it to plant in your ass. LOL!

Originally posted by Blazeyer

Trust me, the govt is doing this not because they're LIEK OMG EXCITED TO WATCH THE SPORTING EVENTS ON TWITCH, but because they want in on the action/money that will be taking place, not just now, but in the future when this really explodes.

This is basicly it yea, where there's people there's a business and money to be had, so it's just a matter of time before it booms for sure. Qft.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/389892/League-of-Legends-US-Government-Recognizes-eSports-Players.html

There is the tread from yesterday where Suzie posted the tweet. See how it says NBA,NFL, NHL? Not chess. Not Poker. Now that we are clear on that, why do some here rabidly defend e-sport as sport? Simple, they want to be the same as the athletes that play those other sports. It may be a money grab by the government, but the government isn't here arguing e-sports vs sports. Nope the ones here arguing are using things like "poker", which wasn't used in the tweet, and "chess" which wasn't used in the tweet. So until you can come with a valid link between NFL, NBA, NHL, I just assume you are a former jock who didn't develop, practice, use enough steroids, whatever, to make the cut. Now you are trying to regain former glory you may or may not have had as a youth when adults used to muss your hair and say "look at my little athlete.".

E sport...is neither mentally taxing like chess nor it is physically taxing like football, tennis, swimming etc. To refer to e'sport people as athletes is just absurd. 

QFS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9lpqG9ZvGY

Should we make this a sport as well?

Just when i said i wasn't goin to get involved in this topic again, i get sucked right back in.

Yeah but you're better off not bothering with that foot still firmly planted in your oral cavity :).

I thought we agreed that i took that out and had reserved it to plant in your ass. LOL!

Nope, the only people who touch my ass have no Y chromosome, sorry, I know you're heartbroken...amongst other things.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Squeak69

considering these are also given the same treatment. . . . ..

pool

darts

Frisbee

table tennis

and several more, im inclined not to care what the government terms a pro sport.

Same with chess as I mentioned in the other thread on this topic earlier today.

So basically it now recognized as a "game" much like many others listed above.

It's still not a "sport" in the traditional sense.

Twisting words for no good reason profits no one.

This could be because there were no computers when traditional sports were called that.

Killing dragons is my shit

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Trolling like a boss.

I disagree with what you said = trolling!!

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by hulgar
    I dont give a fuck to whatever US gov thinks..they are NOT athletes...period

+1 lol athletes lol omfg no, no they are not.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    My question is...Why would anyone care if anyone else thinks that e-sports are a real sport or not?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • GreezGreez Member Posts: 103

Disclaimer: I'm a fan of eSports and a crazy Dota 2 fan.

I'm kinda wondering what you're trying to get at. If we're getting at the truth of the matter, what the US government considers it is quite irrelevant, is it not? What would you gain from that, anyway, from eSports being called sports? Does that change anything? Do they magically require physical exertion due to that title alone? No...

I prefer to separate athletic competition from what I consider more mental competition. I.e., football, boxing, running, from things like chess and cards. I am often not certain where certain fringe categories fit in, considering many video games rely on twitch reflexes and mouse movements, and other types of sports are closer to them (darts as someone mentioned here). But there's very little in common between practicing for football and practicing for chess, and then practicing for Dota 2. They probably all deserve their own categories.

I generally believe that if you don't have to engage most of your body to succeed at it, it's not an athletic sport. This excludes both gaming and dexterity based sports.

I'm also not sure where baseball fits in sometimes.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Trolling like a boss.

I disagree with what you said = trolling!!

Now that was less than graceful.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Greez
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan of eSports and a crazy Dota 2 fan.I'm kinda wondering what you're trying to get at. If we're getting at the truth of the matter, what the US government considers it is quite irrelevant, is it not? What would you gain from that, anyway, from eSports being called sports? Does that change anything? Do they magically require physical exertion due to that title alone? No...I prefer to separate athletic competition from what I consider more mental competition. I.e., football, boxing, running, from things like chess and cards. I am often not certain where certain fringe categories fit in, considering many video games rely on twitch reflexes and mouse movements, and other types of sports are closer to them (darts as someone mentioned here). But there's very little in common between practicing for football and practicing for chess, and then practicing for Dota 2. They probably all deserve their own categories.I generally believe that if you don't have to engage most of your body to succeed at it, it's not an athletic sport. This excludes both gaming and dexterity based sports.I'm also not sure where baseball fits in sometimes.

These guys: SportAccord decide who is and who is not an Olympic athlete and what is and what is not an Olympic sport. They would disagree with you.

They also have a very clear set of criteria for deciding what is and what is not a sport, and who is and who is not an athlete. It's pretty easy to slot video games into their criteria and get "sport", but not all of them. They have to be competitive, they have to be judged, and they can't determine winners based on a RNG.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AysonoAysono Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Greez
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan of eSports and a crazy Dota 2 fan.

I'm kinda wondering what you're trying to get at. If we're getting at the truth of the matter, what the US government considers it is quite irrelevant, is it not? What would you gain from that, anyway, from eSports being called sports? Does that change anything? Do they magically require physical exertion due to that title alone? No...

I prefer to separate athletic competition from what I consider more mental competition. I.e., football, boxing, running, from things like chess and cards. I am often not certain where certain fringe categories fit in, considering many video games rely on twitch reflexes and mouse movements, and other types of sports are closer to them (darts as someone mentioned here). But there's very little in common between practicing for football and practicing for chess, and then practicing for Dota 2. They probably all deserve their own categories.

I generally believe that if you don't have to engage most of your body to succeed at it, it's not an athletic sport. This excludes both gaming and dexterity based sports.

I'm also not sure where baseball fits in sometimes.

These guys: SportAccord decide who is and who is not an Olympic athlete and what is and what is not an Olympic sport. They would disagree with you.

They also have a very clear set of criteria for deciding what is and what is not a sport, and who is and who is not an athlete. It's pretty easy to slot video games into their criteria and get "sport", but not all of them. They have to be competitive, they have to be judged, and they can't determine winners based on a RNG.

LoL (no pun intended!!!). Who make and enforce laws in the U.S of A?

Starcraft 1 and Starcraft 2 have no RNG...

Pretty sure League of Legends also does not have RNG.

RNG = Random numbers spat out using a specific mathematics formula which simulates randomness

What LoL uses (to my knowledge) are formulas for determining damage outputs on differing heroes based on various stats.

In fact with E-sports you'd be hard pressed to find any game with RNG.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Does this mean that Poker is a professional sport too? lmao    Honey, be back next week, I have to go workout in Vegas..  Wish me luck..
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Starcraft 1 and Starcraft 2 have no RNG...

Pretty sure League of Legends also does not have RNG.

RNG = Random numbers spat out using a specific mathematics formula which simulates randomness

What LoL uses (to my knowledge) are formulas for determining damage outputs on differing heroes based on various stats. 

In fact with E-sports you'd be hard pressed to find any game with RNG.

Well LoL does have a RNG element (critical strikes), but overall the random aspect of it plays an extremely minor role (don't think I've ever watched a game where I felt someone won a fight purely due to luck.)

You're definitely right that any e-sport game has virtually no RNG presence, so that skill can be the only factor to winning a game.  While I sorta enjoy crits in TF2 for pub play, they're definitely one of the things that prevented it from becoming an e-sport (that and how the game isn't really balanced for competitive play, even though some TF2 weapons have extremely high skill ceilings.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Rydeson
    Does this mean that Poker is a professional sport too? lmao    Honey, be back next week, I have to go workout in Vegas..  Wish me luck..

Poker is a sport on ESPN, but it relies on an element of randomness to determine winners. It's entirely possible that a world class poker player could lose because of the random draw of the cards, so I don't think it is a "sport".

That doesn't take away from the skill required to pull out a win when the cards are against you though.

Originally posted by Aysono
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Greez Disclaimer: I'm a fan of eSports and a crazy Dota 2 fan.   I'm kinda wondering what you're trying to get at. If we're getting at the truth of the matter, what the US government considers it is quite irrelevant, is it not? What would you gain from that, anyway, from eSports being called sports? Does that change anything? Do they magically require physical exertion due to that title alone? No... I prefer to separate athletic competition from what I consider more mental competition. I.e., football, boxing, running, from things like chess and cards. I am often not certain where certain fringe categories fit in, considering many video games rely on twitch reflexes and mouse movements, and other types of sports are closer to them (darts as someone mentioned here). But there's very little in common between practicing for football and practicing for chess, and then practicing for Dota 2. They probably all deserve their own categories. I generally believe that if you don't have to engage most of your body to succeed at it, it's not an athletic sport. This excludes both gaming and dexterity based sports. I'm also not sure where baseball fits in sometimes.
    These guys: SportAccord decide who is and who is not an Olympic athlete and what is and what is not an Olympic sport. They would disagree with you. They also have a very clear set of criteria for deciding what is and what is not a sport, and who is and who is not an athlete. It's pretty easy to slot video games into their criteria and get "sport", but not all of them. They have to be competitive, they have to be judged, and they can't determine winners based on a RNG.  
    LoL (no pun intended!!!). Who make and enforce laws in the U.S of A?

Well, the USA apparently is very good about getting other countries to follow their laws. Not that that is a good thing necessarily.

But the SportAccord is an international group and they really would be considered the arbiters of what is and is not a sport. I don't know of any other organization that is both international, and also related to sports in general, rather than a specific sport.

I suppose an e-Sports organization would have to apply for membership, and only then would e-Sports be an officially recognized "sport" around the world. Until then, it's just the U.S. and (I assume) South Korea that recognize pro gamers as sportsmen.