Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC or PS3?

dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Hey all,

I'm really looking forward to playing FFXIV but right now I have no platform to play it on. My PC does not even begin to meet the requirements and I don't have a PS3 (yet). The latter is easily affordable, but to play on PC would require a very large investment if I expect quality performance. 

I'm curious to know what platform you will be choosing to play the game on. I imagine the majority will say PC as that is pretty much where the overwhelming majority of mmo's are played, but if you're choosing PS3 I would love to hear why.

Comments

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    PC because PC > than any console ever(or will be).  But, if you're going to have to buy something either way and are leaning towards a console I would wait for the PS4.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    if you dont have a PS3 i suggest to buy the game on PC. I also suggest taht if you want to play it on console then wait for the PS4 version. Not worth getting a PS3 at this point for a long term mmorpg. My opinion

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Well my PC doesn't even meet the minimum requirements (it isn't a designated gaming rig), and the PS4 is out in winter. So I guess I could invest in a gaming PC. Perhaps its just the novelty that makes me feel like it would be cool to play on PS3. Or perhaps its the fact that the console version will be consistent in its performance whereas my experience with PC mmo's is that one patch can mean the difference between your computer being able to handle it on high graphics and not.
  • dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    PC all the way , can play the game the way it meant to be play yet way better graphic and more easy control then a console.

• mrbananasmrbananas Member UncommonPosts: 28
    If I have the funds I would invest in a budget new pc and smack a asrock mobo, ripjaws ram, i5 gaming cpu and a geforce 780 w/acx fan. You can go for sandy bridge or haswell (x79 or x89) chipsets it doesn't really matter. Power supplies are pretty cheap for 1 gpu configs and a medium tower case. Keyboard, mouse, speakers/headsets in a budget would be worth it over console.

One of those 780s with acx custom fans from evga etc will ensure you run the game pretty much maxed out at x1 1080p monitor not just ffxiv but pretty much all games. You don't really need i7 as it doesn't really boost performance in games. Quad core i5 mid-highrange will be fine. 8gb ram minimum running at 1600-1866mhz and a 120gb ssd for OS and hdd 7200 rpm 1tb for everything should be good to go!
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar
    Well my PC doesn't even meet the minimum requirements (it isn't a designated gaming rig), and the PS4 is out in winter. So I guess I could invest in a gaming PC. Perhaps its just the novelty that makes me feel like it would be cool to play on PS3. Or perhaps its the fact that the console version will be consistent in its performance whereas my experience with PC mmo's is that one patch can mean the difference between your computer being able to handle it on high graphics and not.

ps3 version not necesarily runs with consistent performance. Look at all the PS3 games that have massive issues and drops, and performance hickups, let alone an mmo the caliber of FF14 running on a server. Plus the limited 30fps. If you cant wait for the ps4 i personally suggest you upgrade your PC (not only will play FF14 but many other games you would like to play as well. Or just patiently wait for PS4.

Of course my advise is based on my own experience. I stopped buying PS3 games when they showed the PS4 controller and some games in february. Im not wasting money on that console anymore.

edited: typos

Originally posted by dadante666
    PC all the way , can play the game the way it meant to be play yet way better graphic and more easy control then a console.

this is very personal. IM playing on PC and im very happy playing with my gamepad. Im not switching to m/kb even on PC.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I am currently testing it on both platforms (same account) and enjoying it very much on both, for different reasons. It totally depends on what mood I am in that day, and I could easily be forced into either platform with zero complaints at this point.

I own 1.0 for PC so I preordered the physical CE for PS3... I'll be playing on both post launch as well.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    PC why get the ps3 when the ps4 will be out soonish with a ps4 version?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• SerketSerket Member Posts: 4
    Just remember the ps4 version will not be released right when the console comes out.  Probably not until sometime in 2014.
  • Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Well it depends what you got, I mean if a PS3 is affordable and your PC is actually worse than PS3s hardware, then get PS3. Id check what a comparable PC costs before getting PS3 it may not be as much if you can salvage some of your old stuff.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    PC only
  • DaftDaft Member UncommonPosts: 170

I'm ok with everquest graphics, so ps3 is working great for me. I just chill back on the couch and play on the big screen.

Also, my girlfriend for some reason doesnt like me on computer games, so this is working out, until she realizes she is being tricked.

• osirisobosirisob Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Kayo45
    Well it depends what you got, I mean if a PS3 is affordable and your PC is actually worse than PS3s hardware, then get PS3. Id check what a comparable PC costs before getting PS3 it may not be as much if you can salvage some of your old stuff.

This ...

If you find a few deals, shop around, budget, and cannibalize your current PC, I bet you can build a PC that will give you better graphics than the PS3 will. However, a PS3 will give you access to a lot of other amazing games. (TLoU, GTA5) There is a GTA5 PS3 coming out soon that is a very good deal. Google it.