Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Last episode convinced me...

MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
That the writers are literally making this up as they go, throwing random stuff in they deem cool, and over no real idea what they want to do with the show.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Comments

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    That's how TV show writing has always worked.  Lost, Battlestar Galactica, etc. many of the most popular shows out there were actually written in said fashion despite popular belief.  That's why you see many plot threads started in those shows that are then never followed up on in the future.  There's other ways of writing television too obviously but this one is very popular especially in said genre.

Steam: Neph

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    I've really enjoyed the show... but that being the season finisher?  What?  Did the budget run out half way through writing it or something?
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Babylon 5 might very well be the only show that was completely written before anything was filmed.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I don't think the writing has ever been good, and the characters have always been weak at best. I still watch it because I hope it's going to develop into something better. I wouldn't say it's gotten worse but it sure isn't better.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I stopped watching after first  4 episodes and haven't touched the game in months. I find the writing, plot, storyline and characters that bad.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I have enjoyed the show so far but never had an urge to play the game. 

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    I don't think the writing has ever been good, and the characters have always been weak at best. I still watch it because I hope it's going to develop into something better. I wouldn't say it's gotten worse but it sure isn't better.

I thought the two main characters were good but the rest no not very good.The writing is really bad,liek amateur hour.I stopped watching around episode 4 and really struggled to watch 2 and 3.I stumbled onto 8 i think it was on a Canadian channel was not SyFY and it still looked as bad as ever.The whole show was based on drama and a more or less cheap soap opera setting.There was no creativity and aside from episode 1 the budget looked to be very small.

I know they sign a contract deal,not sure how many episodes were signed in the deal but i would be VERY surprised if any network offers them another deal.I gave Episode1 a 6/10 but everything i saw after words a 3/10 or worse because i couldn't even watch the entire episode.

I watch a Sci Fi type show/movie ,i expect to see some action and effects,i do not want to watch actors with cheap costumes talking ,very boring.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I watched the first 2 episodes, downloaded all of the rest but haven't felt the urge to watch them.
  • BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    Babylon 5 might very well be the only show that was completely written before anything was filmed.

The recently finished Spartacus was mapped out from start to finish, I think the prequel season was an exception while everyone was crossing their fingers for Whitfield's (Spartacus) recovery. Its writer openly discusses the whole thing on twitter. I highly suggest the show for anyone who is of the driving age.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I think people watch the show because of the lack of good sci fi shows on tv, Syfy channel need to quit airing wrestling and ghostbusters, sorry hunters, and do some good Sci Fi shows.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by DeanGrey
    Originally posted by Kaneth

The recently finished Spartacus was mapped out from start to finish, I think the prequel season was an exception while everyone was crossing their fingers for Whitfield's (Spartacus) recovery. Its writer openly discusses the whole thing on twitter. I highly suggest the show for anyone who is of the driving age.

I enjoyed the first season and the prequel but started to lose interest, I only managed the first episode of the last season.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Looking forward to a new Star Trek or Stargate series, fuck this
  • KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I really enjoyed Defiance, only started watching it because i played the game. Stopped playing the game after a week or so but loved the series. Might jump back in the game and finish the main story queats.
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by Kanester
    I really enjoyed Defiance, only started watching it because i played the game. Stopped playing the game after a week or so but loved the series. Might jump back in the game and finish the main story queats.

I'm with you on this.

Love the show, can't stand the game. I'm really disappointed by this as I feel I'm missing out on the 'full' experience.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I thought the two main characters were good but the rest no not very good.The writing is really bad,liek amateur hour.I stopped watching around episode 4 and really struggled to watch 2 and 3.I stumbled onto 8 i think it was on a Canadian channel was not SyFY and it still looked as bad as ever.The whole show was based on drama and a more or less cheap soap opera setting.There was no creativity and aside from episode 1 the budget looked to be very small.

I know they sign a contract deal,not sure how many episodes were signed in the deal but i would be VERY surprised if any network offers them another deal.I gave Episode1 a 6/10 but everything i saw after words a 3/10 or worse because i couldn't even watch the entire episode.

I watch a Sci Fi type show/movie ,i expect to see some action and effects,i do not want to watch actors with cheap costumes talking ,very boring.

I agree with you. Show is really really bad 'monster / baddie of the week' show masquerading as a sci fi.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

Despite not playing for over a month I really think the game is a blast. I love happening on someone who is about to get pummelled/needs reviving and helping out (and when the opposite happens its great too). I love the various stories (side, main or episodic), the arkfalls, Shadowwars and the dynamic situations.. Like I said its a blast and I've been playing again for the last 3 days straight. I have too many games to play and serious ADD in my old age which tends to make me hop around from game to game, from MMOrpg to MMOFPS or other multiplayer types of games (mostly fps).Lol.

The show....meh...I've tried to sit through an episode but just find myself nodding off or otherwise losing interest. This coming from someone who actually made it through the first season of "Lost Girl" .

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Mkilbride
    That the writers are literally making this up as they go, throwing random stuff in they deem cool, and over no real idea what they want to do with the show.

You really hate this show don't you.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Entirely disagree, and the fact that it got renewed for season two probably speaks more toward you having bad taste rather than it being a bad show.
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Couldn't disagree more about the show being bad. I have enjoyed each episode and actually feel the show has gotten better with each episode. I Guess my tastes are not as evolved as some peoples, bring on season 2!

No signature, I don't have a pen

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I so hear you! I got a "Game of Thrones in the future" vibe when I watched it.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Its a decent show but some of the characters really piss me off of their stupidity like the mayors slutty sister who kept falling for the pale alien chicks deception and the human girl who loves the bad guys son that wimped out when they were being attacked by a hellbug and and she was the one who was standing up against it yet later he took the credit like he was all brave.  Plus they keep killing off important characters lol.

The show is not nearly as good as shows like Fringe, Lost, Falling Skies, and Battlestar but im hoping it gets better at season 2.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Game of THrones is based off a decade old book series.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Game of THrones is based off a decade old book series.
    It is, but TV has pretty much steered clear of killing off main characters, unless the actor desires to leave the series. With Defiance's season finale, I got a definite "Game of Thrones" vibe with all the peril many main characters were left in.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Entirely disagree, and the fact that it got renewed for season two probably speaks more toward you having bad taste rather than it being a bad show.

It got announced as being renewed at the very beginning of the season...... so that says nothing about the quality of the show.  And it is indeed terrible.

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    That's how TV show writing has always worked.  Lost, Battlestar Galactica, etc. many of the most popular shows out there were actually written in said fashion despite popular belief.  That's why you see many plot threads started in those shows that are then never followed up on in the future.  There's other ways of writing television too obviously but this one is very popular especially in said genre.

BSG had a bible that detailed where they wanted to go.  They planned about 10 episodes ahead at a time, on their way to that end goal.