Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should Sony Have GM's Policing EQN's Server(s)?

ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215

Remember in the early days of EQ when GM's roamed the lands more? Remember what would happen if people did what they do in WoW or other MMO's these days by talking about inappropriate things etc.? They would get banned or told to stop at the least. I don't know about you but I miss this and it is one of the biggest reasons why family gaming has been ruined because of people who have no dignity or common  respect for people overall. 

So as the title states, should GM's be employed to help keep the server(s) policed?

Comments

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    I say yes, bring them in. Harassment or game disruption makes people leave the game. Good idea.
  • Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161
    It would be nice but the business model might not support it.

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Attend4455

How do you figure?

• GholosGholos Member Posts: 209
    vote: YES

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
    -Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

more importantly,I'd want them to do the unique events they used to do that were abrupt,spontaneous,and unbeknownst to the players.

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by tank017

more importantly,I'd want them to do the unique events they used to do that were abrupt,spontaneous,and unbeknownst to the players.

Yeah that was a lot of fun and would be nice to see a  return of that as well!

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Yes, I would like a GM to be assigned a server (shard, channel, etc.) to not only deal with those that need it or like Tank said to host live events or uncover areas like AC.

Policing players specifically is unfortunate but I think will be needed.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Yes, I think so, and it would work for higher areas probably, but lower areas and if their was a global type chat, not so sure with the f2p, if you get rid of someone that can make a brand new account/character and be a jerk and use global chats, or access anything to be a jerk, you will just have to deal with it.

I was hoping for a b2p or p2p myself, but SoE sees f2p as their new model it seems.

• wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278

I find it hard to comment on this point at this point in time - only because the game design might allow people to avoid grifers or rude individuals by new mechanics or systems - just not sure they are necessary (so I picked don't care).  

I am for GM's though if they are needed, as a lot of people do disrespect others for no reason over and over ...

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

How do you figure?

Being completely free to play is what I think he means. Unless they IP ban you its not like you're locked out of the game or something. If they cared enough they would just make a new account or new character or something.

A generality a lot of people use is F2P = a lot more jerks

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

How do you figure?

Smed wants a new Ferarri. Translated: "Our Business Model does not support player support"

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    not gonna happen in a f2p game
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Since it is going to be f2p I don't think they would have time to deal with anything but gold spammers and i'm sure they will not want to moderate any paying customers seeing as the majority of population will be gold spammers.

Sorry, all my negativity for f2p is oozing out. I'll try to be more positive next time.

Yeah you guys have a point about it being F2P. Just wishful thinking I guess...
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Braindome

Since it is going to be f2p I don't think they would have time to deal with anything but gold spammers and i'm sure they will not want to moderate any paying customers seeing as the majority of population will be gold spammers.

Sorry, all my negativity for f2p is oozing out. I'll try to be more positive next time.

Not even box sales prevent gold spammers. Just log into Guild Wars 2 to see that. Rift had them as well, back when I played. It is well worth their  investment to purchase them. There are ways to reduce gold spamming. One would be to not have any region based chat or whispers. Restrict all communications to guild, local, party, private channels, and maybe friends list. This wouldn't get rid of it completely, it would just isolate them to places where players most frequent and spam local chat. Another option is to require a level limit for certain types of messaging. This would reduce it even less as some will deem it worthy to level up before they spam.

The most effective way would be to have open world PVP and have the vast majority of the population near player ran cities where players themselves can deal out justice and don't allow any communication after being pked. Players can then setup NPC guards at the player spawn point and have a kos lists that they can add characters to. This would isolate them to NPC cities. Combined with restricting all regional chat and whispers until players are outside the safe zones would allow GMs to watch only the local chat of most frequented safe zone areas. It would allow the designers to setup scripts that watched for idling in those  specific areas.

Originally posted by Braindome

Not even box sales prevent gold spammers. Just log into Guild Wars 2 to see that. Rift had them as well, back when I played. It is well worth their  investment to purchase them. There are ways to reduce gold spamming. One would be to not have any region based chat or whispers. Restrict all communications to guild, local, party, private channels, and maybe friends list. This wouldn't get rid of it completely, it would just isolate them to places where players most frequent and spam local chat. Another option is to require a level limit for certain types of messaging. This would reduce it even less as some will deem it worthy to level up before they spam.

The most effective way would be to have open world PVP and have the vast majority of the population near player ran cities where players themselves can deal out justice and don't allow any communication after being pked. Players can then setup NPC guards at the player spawn point and have a kos lists that they can add characters to. This would isolate them to NPC cities. Combined with restricting all regional chat and whispers until players are outside the safe zones would allow GMs to watch only the local chat of most frequented safe zone areas. It would allow the designers to setup scripts that watched for idling in those  specific areas.

That would be pretty cool. Even more so imagine having a way to track someone down directly after they have been player flagged so many times as being a gold spammer. I can picture a gold stream leading the way to a gold spammer to be killed, heh.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Zorlofe

Remember in the early days of EQ when GM's roamed the lands more? Remember what would happen if people did what they do in WoW or other MMO's these days by talking about inappropriate things etc.? They would get banned or told to stop at the least. I don't know about you but I miss this and it is one of the biggest reasons why family gaming has been ruined because of people who have no dignity or common  respect for people overall. 

So as the title states, should GM's be employed to help keep the server(s) policed?

EQ is pretty good about dealing with people who are causing problems.  While there aren't roaming GM's like before, they are on staff to deal with player complaints.  In my experience, they are pretty good about timeliness and dealing appropriately with the situation. 

Having EQN be FTP is not going to change whether there is GM support.  Of course there is going to be a system, like in all their other games, for players to access if there is a need.  Its not going to be a free for all, as some of you seem to think it might be.  There is a EULA and they are pretty good about enforcing it.

Aside from policing when necessary, the GM's are also there to help players having technical issues, like getting stuck in the world.  It would be ridiculous to assume there wouldn't be GM's available in EQN for this reason alone.  They are a multi-faceted support team.