Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do we make non-EQ players feel welcome in EQNext.

Comments

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Op question:                   

How do we make non-EQ players feel welcome in EQNext

Not up to us the consumer but the developers and I hope they will do a good work on it.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I will welcome them by pking them everywhere I go and shouting go back to WoW newb when they die.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Khurg
    Not being elitest assholes is a start

Exactly.... A good community starts with helpful as well as social players, if it's full of the "go back to WOW" crowd there's no hope for this game if it is a true sandbox. A sandbox lives or dies based on it's community.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Vidir

Op question:                   

Not up to us the consumer but the developers and I hope they will do a good work on it.

Wrong. EQN is supposed to be a sandbox, that means a focus on community to some extent, without it you have a hollow experience.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Vidir

Op question:                   

Wrong. EQN is supposed to be a sandbox, that means a focus on community to some extent, without it you have a hollow experience.

Give this man a medal.

I see allot of anti-social behaviour which for PVE-ers is terribly amusing. But considering this will be a sandpark at worse....

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

why would it be different than any other game?

you just jump in and play,there's no us and them when it comes to playing an MMO..

I couldnt care less where people come from.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

How do we make non-EQ players feel welcome in EQNext.?

WoW...if this word makes you reflexively reach for some sort of insult, upon meeting someone for the very first time, the problem is you. (EQ1...the reverse, naturally, completely applies.)

Reminding people to lay off the automated mail-it-in insults sounds like a positive first step.

Do I even need to mention sandbox/themepark? PVP/PVE?

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by duggyfr3sh123

the question is how will EQ players feel welcome?

This is the real question and best post in this thread.  How are all the old school players going to handle complex combat, should it be implemented?  How are they going to handle combat that doesn't allow for lots and lots of downtime to regain mana or whatever?  How are they going to handle lots and lots of movement?

The old school players, such as myself, will handle the community and reputation aspects just fine.  I'll also handle any sort of combat as well becasue I'm not stuck in the past on some unintuitive and terrible combat system.  How are the others that refuse to adapt going to feel?

• GholosGholos Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Distopia

I see allot of anti-social behaviour which for PVE-ers is terribly amusing. But considering this will be a sandpark at worse....

I dont know if this comment is related to me (but i think yes)...i have say that i want to play in a server with the old EQ players, that not imply that i will not play with other people or that i hate players from other games, i have say that i will try to contribute to build up a helpful community helping others... if this is an anti-social behaviour...

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
    -Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by Gholos
    Originally posted by Zorlofe
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz
    We don't. Honestly, I'm seriously hoping it's 1 big server and a super niche MMO for the old school players. I'd much rather play with a good, small community than the crap thats out there now.

I hate to say it but I have to agree with this guy. Seems so many of the games I've played in the past are ruined because of the community. I left WoW specifically because of the community and I don't want to see the same kind of trash players ruin this game either.

/agree

If you three are an example of the "good, small EQ1 vet community"...then your community sucks. Rude, selfish, separatists.

Nice job. Way to be a shining example of what is in store for new players in a new game.

"Go back to WoW"

"This game isn't for you"

"Join our guild, Original EQ1 Vets only"

Hopefully you are just the bad eggs of the old EQ1 community and the game won't be ruined by you and people like you.

Quoting for justice. TBH I can't see what the fuss is about EQN, I tried EQ2 and my abiding impression was of popup boxes in the middle of the screen asking if I wanted to upgrade my account to paid ... frequently.

I don't have any problem with the crafting mini-game (EQ2), in fact I'm in favour of it if it stops botters and I think it would be good to add to other games.

That doesn't mean I'm a hater, I would recommend people try a game rather than rely on forum opinions and that includes EQ2 and EQN.

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

If the game requires you to group or team up then the community will  become close nit very fast. The opposite is also true, if its a solo centric game then the community will be awful fast. Most of us old school eq1 players understand what it means to be LFG and not just que up for my 15 minute instance.

You could spend hours in a good group in EQ1, if EQN has this feeling again the community should be just fine.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

Originally posted by Alders
    Originally posted by duggyfr3sh123

the question is how will EQ players feel welcome?

This is the real question and best post in this thread.  How are all the old school players going to handle complex combat, should it be implemented?  How are they going to handle combat that doesn't allow for lots and lots of downtime to regain mana or whatever?  How are they going to handle lots and lots of movement?

The old school players, such as myself, will handle the community and reputation aspects just fine.  I'll also handle any sort of combat as well becasue I'm not stuck in the past on some unintuitive and terrible combat system.  How are the others that refuse to adapt going to feel?

what makes you think that old school players are stucking playing old school games?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

We don't. Honestly, I'm seriously hoping it's 1 big server and a super niche MMO for the old school players. I'd much rather play with a good, small community than the crap thats out there now.

totally agree, which is why i think the EQN community will not be great, unless it is considered a failure and has a small niche player base.

I hate to say it but I have to agree with this guy. Seems so many of the games I've played in the past are ruined because of the community. I left WoW specifically because of the community and I don't want to see the same kind of trash players ruin this game either.

/agree

If you three are an example of the "good, small EQ1 vet community"...then your community sucks. Rude, selfish, separatists.

Nice job. Way to be a shining example of what is in store for new players in a new game.

"Go back to WoW"

Hopefully you are just the bad eggs of the old EQ1 community and the game won't be ruined by you and people like you.

I'd take the old,small communities any day over todays clusterf***

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

Hey, I'm not that bad.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Well, it appears to be pretty simple.  If they are WoW players, we refuse to group/guild with them and isolate them so they leave.  We don't want their type in our game.  The rest will be welcomed with open arms of course.

Now that everyone has their knickers in a bunch, I was KIDDING!  If the community is to thrive then not only must the Non-EQ players be welcomed, but they should also play the game with an open mind and judge it for what it will be.  Filling the general chat channel with crap like "WoW (or TERA or whatever game they love) is better than this POS" will NOT make them welcome.  Its a 2 way street and everyone will need to be civil.

The difficulty of the game will also mold the community..

If its hard enough it'll weed out the "everyday is my birthday" crowd.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

It isnt rocket science, why treat it like that?

Dont be a jerk, be welcoming, be nice. You dont sit at home and expect your future best friend you havent met yet to knock on your door and be like "I want to be your friend"

Say hi to someone you're nearby to into the game, ask if they want to group, have some fun. Look, making friends is easy!

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

/agree

"Go back to WoW"

Elitists from any game suck.  To be honest though, I can see where some EQ vets may, notice I said "MAY", be coming from.  WoW, for example,  has more than its share of jerks that flood chat channels and forums like this with hate.  I could care less if its EQN or any other MMO out there, those type can go back to WoW or whatever game they came from and stay there. 

As far as an EQ vets only guild, there may be a few and if there are so what?  Does it really hurt you?  There won't be enough of them around to make an impact whatsoever.  They are only hurting themselves for not allowing others in.  Let them exist and die a slow, horrible death if they don't open their ranks because that's exactly what will happen.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by tank017

As opposed to the elitists? Those folk are real nice to have around. /s

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

Everyone should be able to enjoy a game even if they're not very familiar or familiar at all with the world of Everquest. Maybe they come from Guild Wars, or WoW or Tera Online. Where they come from is besides the point. How do we make them feel welcome?

And if you are a player who never played any EQ game, do you feel welcome or not?

TOPIC: How do we make non-EQ players feel welcome in EQNext

No, I do not feel welcome. My only "crime" is I did not play EQ1...yet I am being lumped into the garbage players that suck the life out of communities in othe rgames, as described in several posts in this thread. 

Apparently, ONLY EQ1 players have the social skills to act like human beings in an MMO. The rest of humanity needs to be shunned and run off so that all that is left is the old EQ1 players. I'm sure SOE is thrilled that the community has already decided to alienate ~80% of their future playerbase. I don't think they are going for a "niche" audience. I guess EQ1 players are trying to kill the game before it even starts.

• GreezGreez Member Posts: 103

^ Tbh, you're just being generalized, which there isn't anything particularly bad about if we're speaking of large groups of people.

Originally posted by ice-vortex

Meh, there's elitism and then there's the lowest common denominator.

• coldandnumbcoldandnumb Member CommonPosts: 90

I actually do hope all the eq1 players find each other and then publish which server they are on so I know in advance which one not to roll on. I also had played both eq1 and eq2 for several years so I already know the kind of people that a lot of them are. They're not all bad like in any community but where in other mmo's I've been alienated by the morons and asshats only in eq have I been alienated by the elitism and the "well since I don't know you personally I won't give you the time of day" isms of it's community.

Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by tank017

I'll take em

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by hMJem

It isnt rocket science, why treat it like that?

Dont be a jerk, be welcoming, be nice. You dont sit at home and expect your future best friend you havent met yet to knock on your door and be like "I want to be your friend"

Say hi to someone you're nearby to into the game, ask if they want to group, have some fun. Look, making friends is easy!

Pretty much this.

I've always found EQ and EQ2 to have great communities.  I'm not sure what it is about the game that fosters this, but I am really grateful that it exists.  People that are new to the games even remark on how civilized the community is.  I have no doubt that EQN will be the same.

After reading this thread, I also have to comment on some of the elitist garbage some of you are spouting.  Thankfully its only 2 or 3 people and not a majority, but, jeez.. When you get in-game I think you'll quickly find yourselves on the receiving end of a lot of /ignore lists.