Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do we make non-EQ players feel welcome in EQNext.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

Everyone should be able to enjoy a game even if they're not very familiar or familiar at all with the world of Everquest. Maybe they come from Guild Wars, or WoW or Tera Online. Where they come from is besides the point. How do we make them feel welcome?

And if you are a player who never played any EQ game, do you feel welcome or not?

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    If this game suits my needs (deep crafting system which matters to people with RNG and multiple phases to assemble one item, engaging gathering mechanic, blend of both PVP and PVE mechanics in equal and fair measures for both sides and a good combat system, preferably a action combat system but tab works too if it isn't too static) then add in a EVE-Online player too :P... probably attempting to found the Imperium of Man to impose the Imperial Truth and to propagate human dominance across the land (yes, I am gonna roll like that).

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    We don't. Honestly, I'm seriously hoping it's 1 big server and a super niche MMO for the old school players. I'd much rather play with a good, small community than the crap thats out there now.
  • ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    We could meet them at the gates of their starting city with a gift basket. But more seriously, if a game has engaging mechanics and world, they will take the time to adapt to the differences quickly. EQ did have a tough learning curve as they pretty much handed you a rusty weapon and said "Go get them, kiddo". An optional tutorial would help people get acclimated, but those wanting to find things out for themselves could opt out. I don't know how good the community will be with f2p, but old EQ had a great community. If you asked a noob question, you'd get many people trying to help, with the occasional jerk making a comment.
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz
    We don't. Honestly, I'm seriously hoping it's 1 big server and a super niche MMO for the old school players. I'd much rather play with a good, small community than the crap thats out there now.

problem with that is, if SOE not making any money, they won't support it or might even close game after a couple of years.

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

Honestly if the game is as good or near as good as EQ1 was people will feel welcomed. EQ had the best communities out of any game I have ever played, you know everyone and you know their reputations. This will help anyone with a good head on their shoulders get along with the rest of the player base.

The assholes will weed themselves out or end up on other servers, where they learn their lesson or not. Either way these types of players either find a place or quit. There is no place to hide in the world of norrath, if the devs have any sense they bring back this feeling of a closenit community. If they don't, then it probably wont matter if non EQ players feel welcome anyways.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• wesmowesmo Member Posts: 60

I left EQ2  4 years after release due to raid elitist community. The end game was just raiding, even in participating in a top raid guild on Steamfont server and raiding 3 times a week the game become boring. The fights between the top guilds on the general chat, was for me a motivation to quit. If you are an casual player, forget it, you will be treated as a third class player. 

Everquest become EverRaid!

Well if SOE makes a game for everybody the new players will fit in, but if the devs start that mindless race to feed the raiders not only they will lose the race, but good players will leave. 

In my personal experience Hardcore Raiders any community bad because of all the arrogant poison unwillingness to help other players outside their circle to progress in order to maintain their 'badass' status. Casual players are more oriented to cooperated to each other forming a better community.

Part of the fun was doing heritage quest, oh man those were fun. Long chain quest with a nice raid level device is always fun and servers to casual and hardcore players. After all questing is the name of the game.

How do we make non-EQ players feel welcome in EQNext.

Take care of the regular player, make a game where every kind of player are able to achieve the same results, of course the hardcore will get there faster, but at least the the road wont be blocked to the regular gamer.

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215

I hate to say it but I have to agree with this guy. Seems so many of the games I've played in the past are ruined because of the community. I left WoW specifically because of the community and I don't want to see the same kind of trash players ruin this game either.

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by ropenice

problem with that is, if SOE not making any money, they won't support it or might even close game after a couple of years.

I think they'll keep it open for a really long time. EQ1 is on 13 or 14 years. 200k players would be great

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

It's not the players job to do this...

I kinda think that what you really mean by this though is.. how do we convince people to play EQNext.

It's pretty simple really, it needs to be a good game.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by ropenice

I think they'll keep it open for a really long time. EQ1 is on 13 or 14 years. 200k players would be great

Not sure thats what they're aiming for. Having sub model + some Cs would have gottan those numbers easy, but f2p seems like they want larger numbers and larger CS. I'm worried things will be restricted to force CS usage, but all f2p games can go sour if CS done wrong. At least B2P can keep some of that down with the added box money.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Originally posted by Zorlofe

I hate to say it but I have to agree with this guy. Seems so many of the games I've played in the past are ruined because of the community. I left WoW specifically because of the community and I don't want to see the same kind of trash players ruin this game either.

I'll to 3rd this as well. The game doesn't have to be wildly successful, just as long as I enjoy playing it. Some success is beneficail in order to have cash flow to keep the game going.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

Oh yeah, the community is going to be awesome. Way to go...

• GholosGholos Member Posts: 209

/agree

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
    -Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I think it's up to SoE to give new players the background to know what they are playing. IMO it is up to us the players however to make new ones feel welcome before and after they decide to play. Especially since there are supposed to be sandbox elements I hope when players have questions they are met by helpful people.
  • duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95

do you guys realize that EQ was a time consuming PVE carebear campfest with a bad UI? the player fought the game itself more than anything else. EQN is a sandbox open pvp game which will have modernized UI, be f2p and be really easy on the PVE side for sure until max level.

the question is how will EQ players feel welcome? cuz reusing names and characters and shit won't magically make this into EQ. it's as much EQ as TESO is Morrowind/Daggerfall. It's hilarious actually, people say EQ felt sandboxy due to exploration and playing in many zones. nah, it had alot of varied level appropriate zones, a bit more per level than WoW and GW2 had at launch but it was a guided pve experience with level gating in full effect. i laugh every time people say it had better exploration because the compass was busted...lmao. 

Originally posted by duggyfr3sh123

do you guys realize that EQ was a time consuming PVE carebear campfest with a bad UI? the player fought the game itself more than anything else. EQN is a sandbox open pvp game which will have modernized UI, be f2p and be really easy on the PVE side for sure until max level.

the question is how will EQ players feel welcome? cuz reusing names and characters and shit won't magically make this into EQ. it's as much EQ as TESO is Morrowind/Daggerfall.

Fuck'em. They don't seem interested in welcoming anyone else. Let them die and rot.  :-(

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Rogosh

Honestly if the game is as good or near as good as EQ1 was people will feel welcomed. EQ had the best communities out of any game I have ever played, you know everyone and you know their reputations. This will help anyone with a good head on their shoulders get along with the rest of the player base.

The assholes will weed themselves out or end up on other servers, where they learn their lesson or not. Either way these types of players either find a place or quit. There is no place to hide in the world of norrath, if the devs have any sense they bring back this feeling of a closenit community. If they don't, then it probably wont matter if non EQ players feel welcome anyways.

While I can't speak to the validity of how good EQ1 was, from my stand point the game didn't appeal to me due to certain factors.  That being said the game needs to have an element of modernization and systems to get the players.  That means not going old school for old school sakes.  If there is innovation to be found I nthe game then they need to follow through with it.

Nostalgia is a good thing but not at the price of devolving the game play elements and as such there needs to be a good mixture of things that make people feel comfortable as well as nostalgic.  Quality of life issues are huge and there needs to be just enough to capture that feeling the game is fun without being overly obtrusive with unneeded time sinks intended to keep players playing.  Now I understand that time sinks are somewhat required but they need to be as minimal as possible.  Things like harsh death penalties, slower progression rates and group centric activities are good time sinks.  Things like restrictive inventory systems, harsh buy/sell systems and forced play styles are bad time sinks.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by Shadowguy64

Well, i m playing GW2 and Neverwinter atm, i never seen worst communities since i play MMORPG, if these are the kind of players i have to expect in EQN i really prefer to play in a server with the old EQ players. If i find a good community in a game i tend to be very helpful otherwise i will become a real bastard. In GW2 i have tried to be helpul at start but there too many rude and immature people in game, people that go afk in the istance without say nothing, people that after being rezzed dont say not even a "thank"  or that say "rez me fast" and so on.

-Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

Originally posted by Gholos

/agree

If you three are an example of the "good, small EQ1 vet community"...then your community sucks. Rude, selfish, separatists.

Nice job. Way to be a shining example of what is in store for new players in a new game.

"Go back to WoW"

"This game isn't for you"

"Join our guild, Original EQ1 Vets only"

Hopefully you are just the bad eggs of the old EQ1 community and the game won't be ruined by you and people like you.

Well, i m playing GW2 and Neverwinter atm, i never seen worst communities since i play MMORPG, if these are the kind of players i have to expect in EQN i really prefer to play in a server with the old EQ players. If i find a good community in a game i tend to be very helpful otherwise i will become a real bastard. In GW2 i have tried to be helpul at start but there too many rude and immature people in game, people that go afk in the istance without say nothing, people that after being rezzed dont say not even a "thank"  or that say "rez me fast" and so on.

So you act like a real bastard here because...? Sorry dude but treating everyone the same will just make everyone treat you equally bad... even I don't treat everyone the same and I am a massive cynic and pessimist by nature.

I agree that there are some really bad people out there. But, per my irritated rant on previous post, it just doesn't seem like a good community builder to state you don't want new players an hope they just leave.

Originally posted by Dihoru

So you act like a real bastard here because...? Sorry dude but treating everyone the same will just make everyone treat you equally bad... even I don't treat everyone the same and I am a massive cynic and pessimist by nature.

For "here" you mean in EQN? When EQN will be released i will try to play in a server with the most old EQ players, then i will see how will grow the community and i will try to give my contribution for build a good one, so i will help people etc., but if the vast majority of players will be of immature and rude one i will simply play only for my interst and in a selfish way

-Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• GreezGreez Member Posts: 103

I haven't really played EQ (tried EQII out once but it was too expensive), but I never really looked at an MMO and asked if I'll be welcome in it. I just get it and play it. I doubt I'll be alone.

Also, if you think someone is rude because they don't say "thanks" for you rezzing them in GW2 (which happens every 5 minutes) or opening a door for them, you have issues. I never expect people to thank when I do such things, don't do stuff expecting reward if you get so mad at it.

Originally posted by Dihoru

For "here" you mean in EQN? When EQN will be released i will try to play in a server with the most old EQ players, then i will see how will grow the community and i will try to give my contribution for build a good one, so i will help people etc., but if the vast majority of players will be of immature and rude one i will simply play only for my interst and in a selfish way

Then lets hope its single shard so you can't run away like a <insert preferred adjective here>. You make a difference by standing and fighting not by moaning and saying its unfair, you have not done the former ergo have no right to complain.

• KhurgKhurg Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Not being elitest assholes is a start