Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why SOE doesnt care about you

bayanmerkidbayanmerkid Member Posts: 6

Everquest had 450,000 subscribers in 2003, Everquest 2 when it was subscription based had over 500,000, since going ftp it has tripled in players. World of Warcraft had 12 million subscribers in late 2010.

If you are reading this and saying that I'm trolling this message board, think again. I played EQ 1 and loved it, I played it day one for three years. Everquest 2 I played for a year, SWG i played for 2. I also played WOW for 2 years. Personally I think WoW was really easy but Im sure any EQ player would agree with that, I digress from my point.

When a very large company designs an MMO they will obviously go after their largest possible player base, if you played EQ 1, 2, or SWG you probably arent their target market, heck if you post on this forum you probably arent their target market. If you play WOW, COD, Guild Wars 1 or 2, wear a hat backwards while playing texas holdem watching UFC in your friends basement your probably their target market. Im sure at this point your saying Im generalizing but the fact is to even get 1 million subscribers their not going to make an updated EQ 1 (although Im in the category wishing they would), they will build a more mature WoW with EQ lore and new enough game mechanics that although they will be familiar they wont be stale.

Im sure everyone at SOE knew that after the release of that concept art the hardcore community would have a fit, but lets be honest they care way more about the people who think that WoW was the first MMO ever created. Look on the internet at how much other websites post on rumors of EQN, they dont at all, but they do post tons of rumors on Titan and pointless news on WoW, this just shows how the majority of PC gamers are now a days.

I will play this game regardless of how grim many people think it looks, including myself. The reason why? If MMORPG and Ten Ton are getting pretty hyped about so am I. Yes there has been lots of hype about other games, SWTOR being the main one(which I thought was pretty fun as a single player game lol), but EQ is ftp so what the heck why not hold off try it. Maybe when its all said and done the nostalgia of seeing festering hags in unrest and icebones in lower guk will at least give us a smile and want us to keep exploring to see what other tidbits we find which all those WoW players looking for a new home wont understand.

Comments

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by bayanmerkid

they will build a more mature WoW

Like the thousands of other WoW clones out there .

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Waterlily

WoW is a clone.

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

WoW is a clone.

WoW plays nothing like EQ if that's what you're trying to imply.

I see little point in creating another game that plays like WoW, the market is saturated with clones, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens.

WoW is a clone.

I see little point in creating another game that plays like WoW, the market is saturated with clones, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens.

Point is WoW is a clone, "successful: but still a clone.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

I am a clone of my parents before me!

We're all clones!!!!!

Point is WoW is a clone

of what exactly?

Point is WoW is a clone

of what exactly?

ME, D&D and EQ1.

Edit:

Grabbed my vodka.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

So maybe WoW took some MMO concepts that were already in the industry and packaged them with their brand. Okay.

But the term "WoW Clone" isn't implying that WoW did something first, or was entirely originally all on its own. It's a reference to the success Blizzard had with the product and how many game companies since have tried to capture that same success.

ME, D&D and EQ1.

Pretty liberal use of the word clone no. WoW might have similarities in some areas, a clone it is not.

ME, D&D and EQ1.

Pretty liberal use of the word clone no. WoW might have similarities in some areas, a clone it is not.

Yes because a war of Humans vs Orcs is original, WoW is the first to do it.

Edit:

Yet when a game has items similar to WoW it's a clone you say.

/drinks

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

WoW is a clone.

I love how you call others games wow clones and then defend wow when it's called a clone. Warcraft is a complete rip off of warhammer as warcraft was originally supposed to be a warhammer game. The wow devs were huge everquest players and belonged to some douchebag guild. wow is an everquest clone.

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

When a very large company designs an MMO they will obviously go after their largest possible player base, if you played EQ 1, 2, or SWG you probably arent their target market, heck if you post on this forum you probably arent their target market.

SOE's target market = Everyone with money and a computer.

EQ1 peaked in 2004 with 455k subscriptions and I don't think that EQ2 ever reached 300k subscriptions.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Kleptobrainiac

I am a clone of my parents before me!

We're all clones!!!!!

Wrong, a clone is something, that is genetically identic to something else. You only have the half genome of both of your parents, this doesnt make you a clone.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

I love how you call others games wow clones and then defend wow when it's called a clone. Warcraft is a complete rip off of warhammer as warcraft was originally supposed to be a warhammer game. The wow devs were huge everquest players and belonged to some douchebag guild. wow is an everquest clone.

I'm not defending WoW, I don't enjoy it even, but WoW wasn't cloning Everquest.

Blizzard targeted a completely different demographic, they allowed any class to solo, they had an elaborate PVP system, they used quest hub leveling, they had a seamless world, they're very different games. WoW went for the casual market where you could get something done in 30 minutes.

EQ was in GoD at the time, comparing WoW vanilla to EQ GoD and calling it a clone is ridiculous. They were extremely different games.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Well, this thread unraveled quickly.

To the OP, you are basing a lot of assumptions on concept art, where the art style in that poster thus equals a WoW-like game. Hasn't this already been discussed ad nauseum?  Maybe not.

You can't judge a book by its cover (winces at the cliche), nor can we assume EQN will look anymore like its poster than EQ1 did.  Let's not just to conclusions.  Again.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

I'm not defending WoW, I don't enjoy it even, but WoW wasn't cloning Everquest.

Blizzard targeted a completely different demographic, they allowed any class to solo, they had an elaborate PVP system, they used quest hub leveling, they had a seamless world, they're very different games. WoW went for the casual market where you could get something done in 30 minutes.

EQ was in GoD at the time, comparing WoW vanilla to EQ GoD and calling it a clone is ridiculous. They were extremely different games.

Wow didn't have any pvp systems at release, it was just flag yourself and kill the enemy. Wow is a more streamlined casual version of EQ but it's still heavily influenced by it. So if you can call games like warhammer or age of conan wow clones then the same can be said about wow when it comes to everquest.

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

Everquest had 450,000 subscribers in 2003, Everquest 2 when it was subscription based had over 500,000, since going ftp it has tripled in players. World of Warcraft had 12 million subscribers in late 2010.

If you are reading this and saying that I'm trolling this message board, think again. I played EQ 1 and loved it, I played it day one for three years. Everquest 2 I played for a year, SWG i played for 2. I also played WOW for 2 years. Personally I think WoW was really easy but Im sure any EQ player would agree with that, I digress from my point.

When a very large company designs an MMO they will obviously go after their largest possible player base, if you played EQ 1, 2, or SWG you probably arent their target market, heck if you post on this forum you probably arent their target market. If you play WOW, COD, Guild Wars 1 or 2, wear a hat backwards while playing texas holdem watching UFC in your friends basement your probably their target market. Im sure at this point your saying Im generalizing but the fact is to even get 1 million subscribers their not going to make an updated EQ 1 (although Im in the category wishing they would), they will build a more mature WoW with EQ lore and new enough game mechanics that although they will be familiar they wont be stale.

Im sure everyone at SOE knew that after the release of that concept art the hardcore community would have a fit, but lets be honest they care way more about the people who think that WoW was the first MMO ever created. Look on the internet at how much other websites post on rumors of EQN, they dont at all, but they do post tons of rumors on Titan and pointless news on WoW, this just shows how the majority of PC gamers are now a days.

I will play this game regardless of how grim many people think it looks, including myself. The reason why? If MMORPG and Ten Ton are getting pretty hyped about so am I. Yes there has been lots of hype about other games, SWTOR being the main one(which I thought was pretty fun as a single player game lol), but EQ is ftp so what the heck why not hold off try it. Maybe when its all said and done the nostalgia of seeing festering hags in unrest and icebones in lower guk will at least give us a smile and want us to keep exploring to see what other tidbits we find which all those WoW players looking for a new home wont understand.

ok im lost !!! what does the thread title have to do with the post? And what point is OP trying to make? SMH

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

And? WoW-players will not jump ship to EQNext because it has WoW mechanic. Pointless post.

And what point is OP trying to make? SMH

He is projecting children and players from WoW will all jump onto EQNext if they make it play like WoW. Delusional idea, it's not going to happen.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Problem is, we already know it's going to be different from WoW. They already scrapped it once and restarted. Your opinion would make sense if we hadn't already heard some things about their development philosophies.

They specifically stated that they didn't want to make the same MMO again. They said it won't be like EQ or EQ2 or WoW or anything that exists currently. I think SoE realizes that trying to compete with WoW directly is pointless. But there is a market for other MMOs and they are going to try and tap into that.

Will they succeed? I don't know but it's going to be interesting to see.

Originally posted by Fendel84M

Problem is, we already know it's going to be different from WoW. 

ThisThis forum is great to discuss Everquest Next. Can we keep WoW out of the discussion thanks!

WoW WoW WoW...in every discussion. Jesus!

The vast majority of the people playing wow only play wow. They might try your game out for a month but they always go back to wow. Developing a game with those players in mind is a recipe for failure.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

WoW is a clone.

Oh the overly broad definition of "clone" argument again.....  "all mmo's are clones you push buttons!!" 

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I think some say "WoW clone" so much they forget what it actually means. Everything we know so far (which is arguably tiny) tells us it WON'T be a WoW clone, not the other way around. Graphics do not make an MMO a WoW clone.

I see the point you are trying to make OP and it's solid. The fact is though the majority opinion is shifting and SoE seen this. WoW is losing subs and more this year 12%! Other actual WoW clones are met with little interest after the first few months.

SoE is claiming they are trying to change what kind of MMO they play, which people seem to be ready for. Will they do it? Do they have the goods? We don't know but I hope so.
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

ME, D&D and EQ1.

No, it is a clone period.  Doesn't matter if you believe it or not.  If you looked hard enough you would find that probably ever aspect of WoW came from somewhere else. The only thing they really did that was original was to dumb down EQ and previous games so that even a brain dead zombie can play it. 

WoW is a clone like it or not.  It was not the first at anything other than dumbing the genre down.