Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not everyone in Darkfall is a PvPer

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone is a PvP maniac.  We have 3 in our clan that doesn't PvP. 

One is a ship builder, one is armor and one is weapon.  They are into crafting and money making.  They don't seek out pvp but if they get jumped on they try to defend . They also join siege once in a while.

There is enough game play for people that are less into PvP in Darkfall.  This notion that PvP or Quit is wrong.  This is not vanilla wow where it was raid or quit :-)

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

What would happen to those three people in your clan if they were not in your clan?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    Originally posted by lizardbones

What would happen to those three people in your clan if they were not in your clan?

Seems like every clan has people that are into PvE and crafting stuff.  They will have no issue.  It will be dumb for any clan leader not to take them.  They provide a good discounted supply of weapon/armor/ships. 

Apart from PvP a big part of Darkfall is to maintain the clan city.  Every clan looks for ACTIVE member so that they can maintain the city through tax, donation, etc.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    That's the ongoing problem I tend to have with PvP sandbox mmos. Everyone has this Lord Humungus type attitude. Enough already with a game populated with a bunch of baby Toecutters. I need rational players that don't see everything as red is dead. I just wish it was more than three players in your guild that could even be half as successful in DFUW. No one wants to give the guy laying on the floor room to breathe.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by gamekid2k

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone is a PvP maniac.  We have 3 in our clan that doesn't PvP. 

One is a ship builder, one is armor and one is weapon.  They are into crafting and money making.  They don't seek out pvp but if they get jumped on they try to defend . They also join siege once in a while.

There is enough game play for people that are less into PvP in Darkfall.  This notion that PvP or Quit is wrong.  This is not vanilla wow where it was raid or quit :-)

You have 3 people in your clan that don't PvP - great.  Except they do PvP, when they have to.  That counts as PvP.

You say there is enough gameplay for those who aren't into PvP, and cite only the three crafters in your clan as evidence.  How aboutthose who enjoy PvE?  Are you telling me that the mobs in UW are awesome enough to warract nothing but PvE?

Get your stuff together, buddy.  You're looking like a fanboy.  Or fanboi.  Or whatever the hell it is the kids say these days.

/endgrump

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones What would happen to those three people in your clan if they were not in your clan?
    Seems like every clan has people that are into PvE and crafting stuff.  They will have no issue.  It will be dumb for any clan leader not to take them.  They provide a good discounted supply of weapon/armor/ships. 

Apart from PvP a big part of Darkfall is to maintain the clan city.  Every clan looks for ACTIVE member so that they can maintain the city through tax, donation, etc.

No, what I meant was, what if they wanted to run around by themselves, without a clan? Like, as an independent craftsman kind of thing. I don't play the game, so I'm wondering how that type of thing would go for them.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i personally am a do everything type of player but ya, in df its very possible to be specialize in crafting.

imho crafting and other non pvp in df shd be expanded upon to bring more players in who might prefer non pvp but arent afraid of pvp when necessary.  and if you dont think those folks exist check the rosters of any 0.0 alliance in eve.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Im thinking of giving this game a go.iam mainly a pver but im not opposed to pvp but can someone explain the loot system if you get killed do you lose coin armor,weapons and crafting mats or just some ?
  • gekidogekido Member UncommonPosts: 66

I mastered smelting, armorsmithing, and weaponsmithing.  There is absolutely no entertainment in creating the same exact thing that everyone else can.  Your items are no different than the next guy.  The only thing that kept most crafters going was the fact that they could make a name for themselves through trading.  With the new market system, you are a complete no name.  If in fact they get some enjoyment out of the crafting, it is absolutely impossible that it will last.  Every clan has dedicated crafters with more and more up and coming every day.  There is no limitation to the amount of crafting skills one can have so everyone will soon be a jack of all trades.

- PVE is very monotonous and simply not considered a really fun aspect of the game.  The dungeons may offer some entertainment but you must be ready for PVP.

- NPC towns are nothing more than social hubs that are devoid of any real game interaction.

I'm sorry but it sounds like you're trying to sell something that just isn't there.  This game is not designed for people that don't enjoy PVP.

What else do these crafters have to keep themselves occupied if not for PVP?  I challenge you to give some examples.

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by gekido

I mastered smelting, armorsmithing, and weaponsmithing.  There is absolutely no entertainment in creating the same exact thing that everyone else can.  Your items are no different than the next guy.  The only thing that kept most crafters going was the fact that they could make a name for themselves through trading.  With the new market system, you are a complete no name.  If in fact they get some enjoyment out of the crafting, it is absolutely impossible that it will last.  Every clan has dedicated crafters with more and more up and coming every day.  There is no limitation to the amount of crafting skills one can have so everyone will soon be a jack of all trades.

- PVE is very monotonous and simply not considered a really fun aspect of the game.  The dungeons may offer some entertainment but you must be ready for PVP.

- NPC towns are nothing more than social hubs that are devoid of any real game interaction.

I'm sorry but it sounds like you're trying to sell something that just isn't there.  This game is not designed for people that don't enjoy PVP.

What else do these crafters have to keep themselves occupied if not for PVP?  I challenge you to give some examples.

I'm sorry but which MMO has crafting where each player gets to craft unique items only they can craft?

Originally posted by Greymoor

I'm sorry but which MMO has crafting where each player gets to craft unique items only they can craft?

I'm sorry, is this supposed to be a question in defense of the game?  It must be my fault that most mmos have shallow crafting.  Nitpicker, put your nose down and try again.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

One of the longest existing clans in DF is actually The Old TImers Guild.  They have a city which they built up and a ton of members.  Most of them are not PvPers.  Some of them don't even seem to carry weapons when they are out harvesting.  Yet here they are, since day one of the original DF and they seem to be having fun.

When we raid them we usually get some tells afterwards about "Good Fight" or asking about something in particular we did. Again, they genuinely seem to enjoy the game even though they are not the typical RPK type clan.  There are others as well that have formed up in DF:UW of a similar persuassion.

I'd imagine that the new market system will even further enable such a non-pvp focused playstyle,

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

SWG basically had that, ten years ago.

Originally posted by Kost

SWG basically had that, ten years ago.

Well i'm glad an exception existed but it's certainly not a feature of any modern game. Crafting is a viable playstyle in DFUW because the economy is purely ran by crafters. Some people enjoy this.

Well i'm glad an exception existed but it's certainly not a feature of any modern game. Crafting is a viable playstyle in DFUW because the economy is purely ran by crafters. Some people enjoy this.

That may be true.  The crafting system is the same you can find in just about any of these other games you mention then.  There is no difference.  You carry your resources to a terminal, hit a button, and wait.  I would go even further in saying that the amount of items available to crafters are very few.  I will go even further than that and say that the amount of items that people want are even fewer.

You will have to participate in PVP now, especially since the new patch.  The most contested areas are where you will get the best resources.

Why, as a pure crafter, would I want to donate my hard work on a constant basis to these PVP'ers?

If you don't enjoy PVP, why would you even attempt darkfall as a crafter?

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Probably just one person with three accounts.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

That may be true.  The crafting system is the same you can find in just about any of these other games you mention then.  There is no difference.  You carry your resources to a terminal, hit a button, and wait.  I would go even further in saying that the amount of items available to crafters are very few.  I will go even further than that and say that the amount of items that people want are even fewer.

You will have to participate in PVP now, especially since the new patch.  The most contested areas are where you will get the best resources.

Why, as a pure crafter, would I want to donate my hard work on a constant basis to these PVP'ers?

If you don't enjoy PVP, why would you even attempt darkfall as a crafter?

You earn money, wealth and power. There are clans on EU that are not full of PvPers, they're rich, they hire people to do their bidding.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

They obviously accept play a subpar game with the most blunt and shallow crafting of any sandbox game even more close to WoW crafting.

There are lots of superior sandbox games for a crafter to get their teeth into.  I mean DF's crafting is same as entertaining  as poking out  own eyes..painfull shallow, repetitive, boring and you will feel like an idiot if you craft things.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• MmmBeefyMmmBeefy Member Posts: 10

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/875/view/forums/thread/389989/Attention-CraftersGatherers-This-is-a-surprisingly-good-game-for-us.html

My post regarding the reasons why gathering/crafting is uniquely good in this game.  You can give your clan a tremendous advantage by being good/dedicated to crafting.  It's also a great way to build prowess and a good bank of money so that, when you decide to go outside safezones, you'll actually have a decent shot at surviving and thriving in pvp and higher level pve.  

The other important point to note in this game is that clans are actually important, and the user experience is greatly enhanced by being in one.  This is good/important.  Too many themepark and even sandbox games are geared towards anti-social behavior.  This game actually encourages interaction with other people.  Yes, people do get upset about "getting pk'ed by griefers", but if you are in a clan, your clan can actually do something about it, up to and including burning down their city.  There are actual political ramifications to the pvp.

Everything goes better with beef.

You earn money, wealth and power. There are clans on EU that are not full of PvPers, they're rich, they hire people to do their bidding.

Money, wealth, and power to do what exactly?  If you get involved in the politics of this game, you are PVP'ing.  It may not be interacting with game mechanics to kill another player but you will definitely create a hostile environment for yourself.  The community, which is horrible, will let you know just how they feel about this.  Other than the politics, there isn't much of a reason to quest for power.

Hire people to do their bidding?  There is absolutely no need to hire anyone at this point.  You can go stand in front of the market system and get anything you need without ever having to interact with another player.  The social interaction between players has dropped tremendously.  This is a huge deal breaker for a dedicated crafter.

Originally posted by MmmBeefy

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/875/view/forums/thread/389989/Attention-CraftersGatherers-This-is-a-surprisingly-good-game-for-us.html

My post regarding the reasons why gathering/crafting is uniquely good in this game.  You can give your clan a tremendous advantage by being good/dedicated to crafting.  It's also a great way to build prowess and a good bank of money so that, when you decide to go outside safezones, you'll actually have a decent shot at surviving and thriving in pvp and higher level pve.  

The other important point to note in this game is that clans are actually important, and the user experience is greatly enhanced by being in one.  This is good/important.  Too many themepark and even sandbox games are geared towards anti-social behavior.  This game actually encourages interaction with other people.  Yes, people do get upset about "getting pk'ed by griefers", but if you are in a clan, your clan can actually do something about it, up to and including burning down their city.  There are actual political ramifications to the pvp.

I will agree with your post for the most part.  What I won't agree with at this point is the social interaction and the "tremendous" advantage you will give your clan.  That statement is just not true anymore.  The market system has completely destroyed this.  This might have been true before but it is far from the truth now and will only get worse in the coming months.  Everyone seems to forget that this is a jack of all trades type of game.  There is no limit to the amount of crafting skills one account can have.  The other points you make revolve a lot around the PVP aspect.

What other activities does a crafter have to keep themselves occupied?

Sorry if I sound so negative but I can't just sit back and watch as this game is promoted for something it's not.  I have been around since DF1, DFUW beta, and now my subscription and many other's I know is running out in 3 days because of these so called awesome patches.  These developers are killing their game and far too many people are either blinded, fanboys, or viral marketers.  If the game had a free trial, these posts wouldn't even bother me.  However, they don't and it's not fair to create a false impression.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

One of the longest existing clans in DF is actually The Old TImers Guild.  They have a city which they built up and a ton of members.  Most of them are not PvPers.  Some of them don't even seem to carry weapons when they are out harvesting.  Yet here they are, since day one of the original DF and they seem to be having fun.

When we raid them we usually get some tells afterwards about "Good Fight" or asking about something in particular we did. Again, they genuinely seem to enjoy the game even though they are not the typical RPK type clan.  There are others as well that have formed up in DF:UW of a similar persuassion.

I'd imagine that the new market system will even further enable such a non-pvp focused playstyle,

lost minions is a clan in the same type of vein, they have about a 50 50 split of pvp first and pvp second type players, and over 200 or so active members.  I'd say OTG is a little more pvp second but it just goes to show there is diversity of playstyle in DF.  not ENOUGH diversity IMHO but it is there.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

One thing I notice is that when some DF player specially the DF1 vets hears about these other players who are mostly playing this game as

1. Mostly PvE
    2. Mostly Craft and market place
    3. occasional participation in PvP 

they (DF1 vets) get extremely upset. Many times in Alliance chat I hear player telling other

"if you don't pvp then quit this game.  This game is not for you."

I don't go out and seek pvp all day long .  For me PvP is when I get attacked or mostly it is group pvp. 

What I don't understand is that these same players (DF1 vets) ask for a sandbox type game and when people play it as they wish they get upset. I see tons of hypocrisy in them.

Finally I for one enjoy doing the mobs feats, crafting feats, harvesting feats.  The constant danger of being jumped make it a very rich experience.  Also the game is not tab targeted.  Unless you play hack n slash warrior, it feels really good to shoot a spell or arrow as it requires skill and over time I have seen a lot of personal improvements as I play my class more and more.  Maybe some day I will become a pvp maniac but for now I am really enjoying the game without overly involved in pvp.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

One thing I notice is that when some DF player specially the DF1 vets hears about these other players who are mostly playing this game as

1. Mostly PvE
    2. Mostly Craft and market place
    3. occasional participation in PvP 

they (DF1 vets) get extremely upset. Many times in Alliance chat I hear player telling other

"if you don't pvp then quit this game.  This game is not for you."

I don't go out and seek pvp all day long .  For me PvP is when I get attacked or mostly it is group pvp. 

What I don't understand is that these same players (DF1 vets) ask for a sandbox type game and when people play it as they wish they get upset. I see tons of hypocrisy in them.

Finally I for one enjoy doing the mobs feats, crafting feats, harvesting feats.  The constant danger of being jumped make it a very rich experience.  Also the game is not tab targeted.  Unless you play hack n slash warrior, it feels really good to shoot a spell or arrow as it requires skill and over time I have seen a lot of personal improvements as I play my class more and more.  Maybe some day I will become a pvp maniac but for now I am really enjoying the game without overly involved in pvp.

I agree with everything you've said, BUT... 

...in the old DF, you could solo PvE because the map was big enough and had lots of small islands surrounded by a huge expanses of water.

So if you want to solo PvE, DFUW isn't for you.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Tindale111
    Im thinking of giving this game a go.iam mainly a pver but im not opposed to pvp but can someone explain the loot system if you get killed do you lose coin armor,weapons and crafting mats or just some ?

You start the game with 3 weapons, Dawnstaff, Dawnsword, Dawnbow, all yours to keep forever, in fact they can't be removed from your backpack.

If you get killed, you go into downed state. If you take another hit, before auto rez or player rez, you die, and port back to your bindstone. This down state does not let you do any actions BTW.

You leave a headstone, it can be looted, they can take whatever they want, and leave what they don't. All of it, except the dawn weapons.

Also there is no auto-loot, each item must be looted individually. Looting is like its own little mini game.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Tierless

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Originally posted by gamekid2k One thing I notice is that when some DF player specially the DF1 vets hears about these other players who are mostly playing this game as [*] Mostly PvE [*] Mostly Craft and market place
    occasional participation in PvP 
    they (DF1 vets) get extremely upset. Many times in Alliance chat I hear player telling other "if you don't pvp then quit this game.  This game is not for you." I don't go out and seek pvp all day long .  For me PvP is when I get attacked or mostly it is group pvp.  What I don't understand is that these same players (DF1 vets) ask for a sandbox type game and when people play it as they wish they get upset. I see tons of hypocrisy in them. Finally I for one enjoy doing the mobs feats, crafting feats, harvesting feats.  The constant danger of being jumped make it a very rich experience.  Also the game is not tab targeted.  Unless you play hack n slash warrior, it feels really good to shoot a spell or arrow as it requires skill and over time I have seen a lot of personal improvements as I play my class more and more.  Maybe some day I will become a pvp maniac but for now I am really enjoying the game without overly involved in pvp.

I agree with everything you've said, BUT... 

...in the old DF, you could solo PvE because the map was big enough and had lots of small islands surrounded by a huge expanses of water.

So if you want to solo PvE, DFUW isn't for you.

I liked DF1 because I could do some solo PVE via sneaky off beat locations, it makes me sad DF2 has removed this.

Absolutely. I used to play DF1 a lot, but now there is no point in playing for me, so I un-subbed and un-installed.

I honestly don't know what the devs were thing of to remove content - it's just stupid, it really is.

I have solo PvE in DFUW many, many times. You need to play it smart. Avoid popular spawn and also negotiate when guest shows up. Finally do not join few hated clan that are on everyone's KOS list